Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,651 Views | 1050 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Bockwinkle
dwanna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just finished "The Bear" last night. Binged through it on Hulu in the last week. I enjoyed it, even though I'm not sure how many of the characters I actually liked.

Young fine-dining chef inherits small family restaurant after tragedy. 8 episodes, 1 season
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Saw this article yesterday that was interesting about Netflix struggling. Interesting context as to some of the issues
Will agree one thing that hurts the cable cutters from a cost perspective is the proliferation of offerings. Used to be having Netflix and Amazon Prime covered most things. Now these services that have one show are able to go big, like Peacock. Takes away from Netflix inventory and makes me as consumer but two services

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/investing/stocks-week-ahead/index.html
I agree with you on the proliferation of options. In most situations, more options create competition; however, in this case, it cost more money to the consumer.
exactly. we end up buying access for one show/event. And usually you can end your subscription, but I'd bet most people forget / can't figure out how and so just keep paying.
Packchem91
Just finished S1 of Slow Horses on Apple TV. Gary Oldman leads a group of MI5 castoffs trying to resurrect their careers and ends up involved in major kidnapping story.

Oldman is very funny in this role. Enjoyed the season, will watch S2 whenever it comes out
barnburner
Packchem91 said:

Saw this article yesterday that was interesting about Netflix struggling. Interesting context as to some of the issues
Will agree one thing that hurts the cable cutters from a cost perspective is the proliferation of offerings. Used to be having Netflix and Amazon Prime covered most things. Now these services that have one show are able to go big, like Peacock. Takes away from Netflix inventory and makes me as consumer but two services

This is exactly what they wanted. The content breadth of old will cost way more in the future. Progress
Packchem91
barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

This is exactly what they wanted. The content breadth of old will cost way more in the future. Progress
Who is "they"? If I'm having to buy 6-7 different services, no one is making more than TWC was.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

Who is "they"? If I'm having to buy 6-7 different services, no one is making more than TWC was.
And it will end up being less expensive…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
barnburner
Packchem91 said:

barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

They are the various content providers. I bet if you total up all the streaming services it would take to subscribe to all the content you used to get in the OLD TWC, you would pay more.
jadawson
barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

They are the various content providers. I bet if you total up all the streaming services it would take to subscribe to all the content you used to get in the OLD TWC, you would pay more.
I guess i would ask the question why you feel the need to subscribe to all of the services at the same time? In the era where many services are releasing every episode at one time (and many people are used to binging anyways), whats the point in having a service if you aren't watching it that month?

I know people loved the prices of old netflix when they had the monopoly on streaming, but the true big win for consumers in breaking away from cable isn't the price, its getting rid of contracts. The only services i am always subscribed to are Hulu (which i use for live tv/sports), Amazon (which i was subscribed to anyways with cable and would do so only for shipping) and ESPN+ and Disney+ (which i have in a cheaper bundle deal with my Hulu subsription). Netflix, HBO, Appletv, etc., i rotate between each month depending on the next show on my household's watchlist. And by waiting 3+ months between using the service each time there is plenty of new content for the next time you subscribe.
Packchem91
jadawson said:

barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

I guess i would ask the question why you feel the need to subscribe to all of the services at the same time? In the era where many services are releasing every episode at one time (and many people are used to binging anyways), whats the point in having a service if you aren't watching it that month?

I know people loved the prices of old netflix when they had the monopoly on streaming, but the true big win for consumers in breaking away from cable isn't the price, its getting rid of contracts. The only services i am always subscribed to are Hulu (which i use for live tv/sports), Amazon (which i was subscribed to anyways with cable and would do so only for shipping) and ESPN+ and Disney+ (which i have in a cheaper bundle deal with my Hulu subsription). Netflix, HBO, Appletv, etc., i rotate between each month depending on the next show on my household's watchlist. And by waiting 3+ months between using the service each time there is plenty of new content for the next time you subscribe.
If I only found content for one program, I've finished that and suspended my account. Showtime, HBO, and several others are like that. I thought I could get rid of Starz after we watched the latest round of Outlander, but my daughter has found some shows she likes.
I'd bet though many folks do forget to suspend their service, don't pay attention on the credit card bill, and pay lots of unnecesary

I don't binge...I don't have long enough attention span to sit thru multiple episodes on one sitting. LOL, I've been watching The Last Kingdom for months now
jadawson
Packchem91 said:

jadawson said:

barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

barnburner said:

Packchem91 said:

If I only found content for one program, I've finished that and suspended my account. Showtime, HBO, and several others are like that. I thought I could get rid of Starz after we watched the latest round of Outlander, but my daughter has found some shows she likes.
I'd bet though many folks do forget to suspend their service, don't pay attention on the credit card bill, and pay lots of unnecesary

I don't binge...I don't have long enough attention span to sit thru multiple episodes on one sitting. LOL, I've been watching The Last Kingdom for months now

Everyone should learn about Truebill. Its a service that goes through your bank/card statements and finds recurring subscriptions you are currently paying for and shows them on one screen so you can manage and cancel them. I saved like $40 a month when i signed up because of services i had forgotten about or thought i had cancelled. Good for budgeting too.
smitt86
Finally finished the latest season of The Boys and the first season of Terminal List. Really enjoyed both. The Boys will definitely have a 4th season, but really hoping Terminal List continues on. Know the author has 4 or 5 books out, so plenty of material to continue on with, and Pratt was great.
braz213
The first episode of The Old Man was one of the best first episodes I have ever seen. Looking forward to watching episode 2 tomorrow.
Sierrawolf
We randomly started watching "Alone" on Netflix and are now hooked. One of the better survival type shows that I can remember watching.
jkpackfan
braz213 said:

The first episode of The Old Man was one of the best first episodes I have ever seen. Looking forward to watching episode 2 tomorrow.
It's such a good show.
smitt86
Sierrawolf said:

We randomly started watching "Alone" on Netflix and are now hooked. One of the better survival type shows that I can remember watching.
I found that show a couple of years ago, binged all they had and watched the last 2-3 seasons live on TV, haha. Current season is on right now and it's been solid.

Think the show may have peaked already with Season 6 and Season 7 being my favorites, but still an interesting show.
TheStorm
Man, they are really struggling out there this season... even a couple of "forced" medical extractions, where they were not permitted to stay any longer.
smitt86
TheStorm said:

Man, they are really struggling out there this season... even a couple of "forced" medical extractions, where they were not permitted to stay any longer.

Feels like this season is full of 2 or 3 desperate folks willing to die for the money and several big fans of the show. Folks were packing on big weight before and/or were super committed to long-term shelters. Each season boils down to watching everyone starve to the point of forced extractions. Couple of folks this season seem willing to die for the money, haha.
Sierrawolf
Yeah basically the strategy is just put on a ton of weight before going
TheStorm
Sierrawolf said:

Yeah basically the strategy is just put on a ton of weight before going
The woman who put on 30 pounds before she started got medically extracted last week or two. The one dude even harvested a beaver (and consumed all of it) and still lost over 50 pounds in 40 something days...

4 people still left and only 2 more episodes... so things are going to happen quick from here. Teaser suggests there is at least one more medical extraction coming.

Then, after this is immediately over they are going to start showing episodes of an All-Star version of sorts where the contestants get dropped off in the MIDDLE OF WINTER instead of late summer... must still be in Labrador because they are still using "the world's largest carnivore's hunting grounds" promo again.
smitt86
Just give me a 1-v-1 with the Season 6 and 7 winners(not going to spoil it for anyone still watching), give me those 2 in the winter on their own and see who can last longer.
TheStorm
I have to be completely honest with you that I don't have these last four figured out yet... my gut says the winner has to be either the guy from Fayetteville, Arkansas or the guy from Toronto... but yet Juan Pablo and Karrie Ann are still there when others that appeared to be getting far more sustenance aren't? *I think the deal with Juan Pablo is that it doesn't seem that he shoots as much video as the others and maybe we're missing alot with him?
smitt86
Juan Pablo is that guy I think is willing to die for that money, haha. I fully expect him to have to be medically evacuated, don't see him tapping out.

Think he and Karie will have to be pulled by the medical team, don't see either tapping even if they're starving or sick.
TheStorm
smitt86 said:

Juan Pablo is that guy I think is willing to die for that money, haha. I fully expect him to have to be medically evacuated, don't see him tapping out.

Think he and Karie will have to be pulled by the medical team, don't see either tapping even if they're starving or sick.
I think that Karrie might just be a little too much on that c-r-a-z-y side to tap out... she obviously has a screw or two loose somewhere up there in that head of hers.
TheStorm
So, I start off last night watching Thursday night's show on my "on demand" function... and the very first thing I see is my Arkansas boy (Adam) tapped out at the very end of the previous week's show? I'm like thinking, ***?

I guess I must have dozed off before the end last week?!?

Yeah, Juan Pablo taking the surprising strategy of fasting and trying to slow his metabolism down... and the first contestant ever now purposefully going without a fire. Bold.

Crazy Karie Lee (I know I butchered her name up earlier) with another squirrel, so she's bought herself more time again now also.

I still have to stick with my original co-favorite Teimojin (who I incorrectly said was from Toronto - when it is actually Montreal) though, but man... there's no telling out of those three... only one episode left.
caryking
My wife and I are watching Succession on HBO right now. I think it's pretty good…

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

My wife and I are watching Succession on HBO right now. I think it's pretty good…

It's an awesome show. Kieran Culkin is great on his role
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Yea, we are in season two. We still haven't figured out his sexual issue. He definitely has one, just now sure what it is. Is he gay?

Joe Biden
Ellesdad
Succession is the best show on TV. Finale of season 3 is amazing. Such great acting.

Roman isn't gay. You'll figure out his type soon.

Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Yea, we are in season two. We still haven't figured out his sexual issue. He definitely has one, just now sure what it is. Is he gay?

Nah, I think he is what you would call scarred by crappy parenting. As all the siblings are
But as the show progresses, his performances just get better and better
smitt86
TheStorm said:

So, I start off last night watching Thursday night's show on my "on demand" function... and the very first thing I see is my Arkansas boy (Adam) tapped out at the very end of the previous week's show? I'm like thinking, ***?

Yeah, Juan Pablo taking the surprising strategy of fasting and trying to slow his metabolism down... and the first contestant ever now purposefully going without a fire. Bold.

Crazy Karie Lee (I know I butchered her name up earlier) with another squirrel, so she's bought herself more time again now also.

I still have to stick with my original co-favorite Teimojin (who I incorrectly said was from Toronto - when it is actually Montreal) though, but man... there's no telling out of those three... only one episode left.
Yeah when you mentioned the guy from Arkansas, I didn't know if you were an episode behind or not so didn't want to spoil it for you if you were, haha.

I think Juan Pablo's strategy of conserving energy and fasting is...a bold strategy. I think he eventually gets pulled if he doesn't come up with something to eat. I can't even fathom how boring just laying in your sleeping bag while it snows ALL DAY could be. No idea how you don't just lay there thinking about food, haha.

Karie Lee might be crazy, but she seems like the most likely to win right now. She seems committed on the level of Juan Pablo, but she's actually still securing food and, appears, to be doing well.

Teimojin is interesting. His medical experience seems to have been helping him throughout, but I wonder if him knowing all of the negative effects on his body won't cause him to tap even before getting pulled. When he was landing animal after animal, he seemed to just be in a different head-space, now that he's starving and not landing as much food, he doesn't seem to be as mentally checked-in as he was. Curious to see if he ends up pushing the button, he's the only 1 of the 3 I could see actually tapping.
Packchem91
Just finished Black Bird on Apple TV. Based on a true story of a young man who gets caught up in drug trafficking, but to shorten his sentence goes to a max security prison to try to get a suspected serial child killer to confess.

Well acted - - Paul Walter Hauser as the suspect is really convincing.
Steve Williams
Staff
Watching For All Mankind...not great but good enough to keep watching.
TheStorm
smitt86 said:

TheStorm said:

Yeah when you mentioned the guy from Arkansas, I didn't know if you were an episode behind or not so didn't want to spoil it for you if you were, haha.

I think Juan Pablo's strategy of conserving energy and fasting is...a bold strategy. I think he eventually gets pulled if he doesn't come up with something to eat. I can't even fathom how boring just laying in your sleeping bag while it snows ALL DAY could be. No idea how you don't just lay there thinking about food, haha.

Karie Lee might be crazy, but she seems like the most likely to win right now. She seems committed on the level of Juan Pablo, but she's actually still securing food and, appears, to be doing well.

Teimojin is interesting. His medical experience seems to have been helping him throughout, but I wonder if him knowing all of the negative effects on his body won't cause him to tap even before getting pulled. When he was landing animal after animal, he seemed to just be in a different head-space, now that he's starving and not landing as much food, he doesn't seem to be as mentally checked-in as he was. Curious to see if he ends up pushing the button, he's the only 1 of the 3 I could see actually tapping.
Man, you had that one called... great ending! and Juan Pablo surprisingly seemed to still have a bunch of gas left in the tank there at the end... couldn't believe how good he still looked at that last "fake" med check!
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

Watching For All Mankind...not great but good enough to keep watching.
About halfway thru the first season....didn't think my wife would like it, but she's found it entertaining to stave off her going back to watch Virgin River for the 8th time
jkpackfan
Watched the new Predator movie on Hulu tonight and it was pretty good, definitely the best since the original.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.