Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

128,750 Views | 1054 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by griff17matt
Sierrawolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Currently watching "Warrior" on Netflix. It's kind of a Kung Fu/Spaghetti western mashup and has been really entertaining.
statefan91
Sierrawolf said:

Currently watching "Warrior" on Netflix. It's kind of a Kung Fu/Spaghetti western mashup and has been really entertaining.
Really enjoyed this show but it got a little silly by the time Season 3 wrapped up. I'm not sure if it's going to be picked up going forward, I think HBO pulled the plug but it has the opportunity for someone else to pick it up.

First season was great though.
smitt86
Steve Williams said:

Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

Anyone watching the new season of True Detective - more on the spooky / supernatural side with this one.
I have been watching it. I go from thinking its good to thinking they are just trying to rip off season 1 but with female cast.
To each his own but we finished this last night and I thought it was awful. Actually went back and watched season 1 and that very well may be my favorite series of all time. This one was a hot mess.
Season 1 was so good it led to 3 bad followup seasons getting green-lit.

They're gonna have to figure out you can't just throw a creepy/sinister true crime case with a well known actor or two and think it's just going to magically be great. First season was special, should have let it end with that.
statefan91
*4 - they already greenlit the 5th season as well
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Why not, it seems to be the most discussed streaming show out now. Generating lots of discussion
smitt86
statefan91 said:

Oh well, guess HBO can keep throwing their money away.
statefan91
smitt86 said:

statefan91 said:

To be fair, it had higher watch #s than any of the previous seasons so not a total shock.
smitt86
statefan91 said:

smitt86 said:

statefan91 said:

To be fair, it had higher watch #s than any of the previous seasons so not a total shock.
Eh, not sure HBO has pushed a season as hard as they did this one. I haven't watched True Detective since S1 and my DVR automatically started recording this season without me or my wife setting it to record. We deleted it and set it not to delete, but my guess is it wasn't random or a glitch that it started recording it. Also don't think it trending the first 2-3 weeks on twitter was organic and was something HBO paid for/orchestrated.

Think HBO is struggling with new material these days, so not surprised that they're just going to keep going back to the well here.
statefan91
On HBO I have really enjoyed Tokyo Vice, it's in S2 and you have to be OK with subtitles, but it's a cool look at an American reporter in the late 90s trying to dig into Yakuza / Tokyo underworld.
Packchem91
Watched ExPats on Amazon. Six episodes starring Nicole Kidman, who is an extremely wealthy (and spoiled) expat living in Hong Kong. Her young son is kidnapped in first episode and rest of series shows how a series of events in interconnected lives

Wife liked it, but would not recommend. Weird side stories that are difficult to reconcile to main story OTHER than showing how spoiled and out of touch with reality that expats can be

Also, was funny to see Nicole Kidman who has had so much plastic surgery that she can't change the expression on it.
statefan91
Highly recommend - I read the book and I know there was a serialized version from the 70s or 80s but this has been awesome so far -

Jtilley
Steve Williams said:

Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

Anyone watching the new season of True Detective - more on the spooky / supernatural side with this one.
I have been watching it. I go from thinking its good to thinking they are just trying to rip off season 1 but with female cast.
To each his own but we finished this last night and I thought it was awful. Actually went back and watched season 1 and that very well may be my favorite series of all time. This one was a hot mess.
No it was awful. I had decent hopes after the first episode but it went downhill fast. Way too many open plot lines that weren't finished. Like what happened to the guy who just disappeared in episode three after they visit him? How do you not noticed the ice cave is right by the research lab? I could go on and on but just trash writing.

Season one is still one of the greatest series ever made.
Packchem91
Jtilley said:

Steve Williams said:

Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

No it was awful. I had decent hopes after the first episode but it went downhill fast. Way too many open plot lines that weren't finished. Like what happened to the guy who just disappeared in episode three after they visit him? How do you not noticed the ice cave is right by the research lab? I could go on and on but just trash writing.

I have only watched episode 1 so far, and I wasn't sure what to think yet.

But more to your comment on Season 1 it's amazing how many people agree with that premise. Probably Joe enough to consider it a consensus, but sure is a popular (and ageeeable) view
Packchem91
I'm halfway thru watching Northern Exposure on Amazon
I really really enjoy it. Good characters, that you can relate to and like. No bad words

An amazing thing I'd forgotten about tv from the 90s. The seasons after 22 episodes each about 50 minutes long. They did them every year as long as show continued.

These shows made for streaming are maybe 10 episodes, often less, and there is usually at least a year off between seasons.
I guess that frees up the cast to do other projects
Jtilley
Finished Oppenheimer after about four breaks the other night. Probably would have been better to see in the theatre but I don't have time for that.

Overall I liked it but once they set the bomb off I felt like it fell off and the last hour or so drug out. Seemed like the movie was more about him being a commie or not vs the Manhattan Project (Which is what I envisioned it would be about).
jkpackfan
statefan91 said:

Highly recommend - I read the book and I know there was a serialized version from the 70s or 80s but this has been awesome so far -

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes but it sucks having to wait a week for the next one lol. Gonna be really good though.
packgrad
jkpackfan said:

statefan91 said:

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes but it sucks having to wait a week for the next one lol. Gonna be really good though.

I haven't started it yet because I don't want to wait for new eps. Need to stockpile a few then binge. Cant wait to watch it.
Packchem91
Jtilley said:

Steve Williams said:

Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

Finished it last night, and frankly still not sure what to think. Given it only had 6 hrs of air time, it seemed to go off on too many tangents.
Like, what did Jodie Foster's sleeping around which was referenced in every episode - have to do with anything?

Amd the last episode - more than half the episode was about stuff other than solving the crimes, and that made no real sense to me in a limited series where the storylines won't be carried over into a new season
FlossyDFlynt
Shogun first three episodes have been incredible. Havent had a show hook me like it in a very long time
dogplasma
I can remember when Shogun was a miniseries back in the late 70s / early 80s. I've got the new series saved - looking forward to watching it.

Also looking forward to the Netflix adaptation of The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. I'm just finishing up the third book now. A movie version will be tough but it could be good. Not sure when that drops.

Edit: It drops on Mar.21, so actually very soon. FYI, to summarize in one sentence, it's a sci fi story about aliens trying to invade earth to escape their doomed home world. That's a massive oversimplification of a very intricate story that I think won a Nebula award for the first book.
PossumJenkins
Did American Conspiracy: The Octopus Murders on Netflix last weekend. Extremely interesting and somehow not a story I had ever heard of or heard mentioned...though I feel like I should have. Would definitely recommend...however I did not like how it ended. Beyond that well worth the time and all quite shocking...though not surprising. If that makes sense.
Jtilley
Packchem91 said:

Jtilley said:

Steve Williams said:

Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

Finished it last night, and frankly still not sure what to think. Given it only had 6 hrs of air time, it seemed to go off on too many tangents.
Like, what did Jodie Foster's sleeping around which was referenced in every episode - have to do with anything?

Amd the last episode - more than half the episode was about stuff other than solving the crimes, and that made no real sense to me in a limited series where the storylines won't be carried over into a new season
Has a 92% approval rating by "Critics" on RT and an audience score of 56%. Like did they get an extended version of the series or something?
smitt86
Never even bother with the "critics" scores on sites like Rotten Tomatoes.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of those "critics" actually watched the full series.
Jtilley
smitt86 said:

Never even bother with the "critics" scores on sites like Rotten Tomatoes.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of those "critics" actually watched the full series.
Has been mentioned that "critics" didn't want to give a negative review on a show that had a female lead cast and female writer/director out of fear of backlash.

I just don't see how you watch that show and come away with a great review of it. I have no knock vs female leads or writers but this was no Mare of Easttown, which was 1000% better.
Packchem91
Jtilley said:

Packchem91 said:

Jtilley said:

Steve Williams said:

Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

Has a 92% approval rating by "Critics" on RT and an audience score of 56%. Like did they get an extended version of the series or something?

I wonder if some of the critics were caught up in Jodie Foster returning to the scene. I didn't think it was bad - it was def better than S2 / S3. But could have been better

And those guys do see shows / movies differently than us. who are watching for entertainment. Wasn't Forest Gump pretty poorly reviewed before becoming one of the biggest movies ever?

ETA: just saw your newer post on hesitancy to criticize a heavily woman-led cast, and I think that is highly likely
Also agree Mare of Eastham was excellent!
Packchem91
Really enjoying Tokyo Vice on Max. Young American reporter becomes first to ever work for leading Japanese newspaper and quickly becomes wrapped up in the Japanese mafia.
caryking
My wife and I just started watching "The Regime" on HBO. We find it fairly good...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
basementwolf
Packchem91 said:

I'm halfway thru watching Northern Exposure on Amazon
I really really enjoy it. Good characters, that you can relate to and like. No bad words

An amazing thing I'd forgotten about tv from the 90s. The seasons after 22 episodes each about 50 minutes long. They did them every year as long as show continued.

These shows made for streaming are maybe 10 episodes, often less, and there is usually at least a year off between seasons.
I guess that frees up the cast to do other projects
I'm about finished with season 3; really enjoying the rewatch. I watched it back when it was out originally and I'm amazed how it doesn't seem dated to me at all.
BigBarryWood
Have been watching shogun and the gentleman. Both fantastic.
statefan91
BigBarryWood said:

Hadn't heard of The Gentlemen but added to my list. The movie wasn't terrible a few years ago and I will watch pretty much anything Guy Ritchie.
Bockwinkle
Will they ruin Fallout like they ruined LOTR?
griff17matt
Bockwinkle said:

Will they ruin Fallout like they ruined LOTR?

Can't ruin it more than Fallout 76 already did.
Jtilley
BigBarryWood said:

Finished the Gentleman the other day. It was entertaining, thought it started really well and towards the end kind of seemed like every episode was similar with some crazy heist. Very Guy Richie.
BigBarryWood
Both imo get better with every episode. With the gentleman I love the character building of the prince. In fact I've enjoyed all the character changes as the show progresses.
griff17matt
Not sure on the demographics of this thread, but X-Men '97 is legit amazing so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.