Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,741 Views | 1052 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by BigBarryWood
packedout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not the best show out there, but I've been picking away at All American and just watched an episode that centered around paper classes and academic fraud that really seemed to poke fun at our not so good buddies down the road. At one point the dean even said "are these classes open to everyone or just athletes? That may be one way to bypass the ncaa"
Sierrawolf
packedout said:

Not the best show out there, but I've been picking away at All American and just watched an episode that centered around paper classes and academic fraud that really seemed to poke fun at our not so good buddies down the road. At one point the dean even said "are these classes open to everyone or just athletes? That may be one way to bypass the ncaa"

I noticed that too and got a good chuckle out of it
Packchem91
caryking said:

CLTWolf said:

Steve Williams said:

pineknollshoresking said:

Started final season of Bosch. Hate to see this series end. One of my all time favorites!!
Yeah, I'm with you. Holding off on watching for now. Funny how someone can just be the perfect guy for a part and Bosch nailed it.
There's going to be a spin off with Harry being a private eye and working with his daughter and Money Chandler. I can't wait. Bosch is so great.
What??? No kidding, right?

I just looked it up. Exciting!!
Thanks for all those who called out Bosch. I had never heard of it....but started watching based off multiple positive comments here, and my wife and I are loving it. Most of way thru first season...and hooked.
statwolf
Omar from the wire found dead in nyc apartment
packgrad
statwolf said:

Omar from the wire found dead in nyc apartment

Best character on the show.
jkpackfan
He was also great as Chalky White on Boardwalk Empire. So sad
Glasswolf
Wife and I just binged all 8 episodes of Clickbait on Netflix. It was pretty good
Glasswolf
caryking said:

Started final season of Bosch. Hate to see this series end. One of my all time favorites!!
Only seen the 1st season and it was really good. Titus Welliver is perfect for that role
SSPack
The wife and I just finished season 1 of The Handsmaid's Tale and we are both hooked. I hope the remaining seasons are as good if not better.
Packchem91
SSPack said:

The wife and I just finished season 1 of The Handsmaid's Tale and we are both hooked. I hope the remaining seasons are as good if not better.
I'm not sure what the critics say, but from my enjoyment perspective, each season has been good. Elizabeth Moss keeps getting better....but I will say S4 (the most recent) was probably the first step down overall for the show. It was still enjoyable, just not quite at the level of the other seasons.

Overall though, just with the darkness of the show, its one that is not for everyone, and you kinda need a break from every night....or at least thats the way we were.
SSPack
Packchem91 said:

SSPack said:

I'm not sure what the critics say, but from my enjoyment perspective, each season has been good. Elizabeth Moss keeps getting better....but I will say S4 (the most recent) was probably the first step down overall for the show. It was still enjoyable, just not quite at the level of the other seasons.

Overall though, just with the darkness of the show, its one that is not for everyone, and you kinda need a break from every night....or at least thats the way we were.
As the father of two daughters I know what you mean about having to need a break from it every now and then.
statefan91
Doing a rewatch of Band of Brothers, such an amazing show.

Have heard good things about "Murders Only In The Building" so may check that out (Hulu)
WolfQuacker
Prime Video: Tell Me Your Secrets

Pretty good suspense / crime show. Enjoyed season 1, looking forward to season 2. As like most/all shows, too many coincidences, but it makes for good TV.
SexualChocolate
Started rewatching The Wire again. RIP Michael K. Williams. Very sad and was a great actor.
jkpackfan
Watching 2nd season of Wu Tang: An American Saga that came out today. If you are/were into them it's a pretty good series.
Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

Wife and I just binged all 8 episodes of Clickbait on Netflix. It was pretty good
Wife and I just finished, it based on your recommendation, and she heard about it from friends at work.
Thought the premise was good....but the last episode went off the rails.

Kinda like Mare of Eastwood and The Undoing...crime thriller "whodunits" that tried to get too creative and tricky in the last episode (Mare of Eastwood was just superbly done, otherwise though).

Now back to S4 of Bosch.
statefan91
statefan91 said:

Doing a rewatch of Band of Brothers, such an amazing show.

Have heard good things about "Murders Only In The Building" so may check that out (Hulu)
Murders Only In The Building is pretty funny, short episode and easy to get through.

Y: The Last Man has been decent so far, it's on FX/Hulu
JocoPack
So the White Lotus on HBO Max is uh....interesting.

The mystery element was pretty good and kept us hooked, and the "twist" became apparent a little early for my liking, but overall it wasn't bad. Definitely not kid friendly.
RunsWithWolves26
Any good Hulu recommendations? Preferably series 3 seasons or more?
statefan91
Black Sails

SexualChocolate
Here is another for you that is fantastic. Squid Game
braz213
I've had at least 3 friends tell me Squid Games is great. It's subtitles. Korean. I'll probably get into it this weekend.
jkpackfan
SexualChocolate said:

Here is another for you that is fantastic. Squid Game
3 episodes in and it's really good.
packgrad
Chappelle's latest standup show on Netflix is very good.
jkpackfan
packgrad said:

Chappelle's latest standup show on Netflix is very good.
Yep and the woke left are going nuts lol. He's spot on in what he said though.
wilmwolf
I actually didn't think it was that great. There were moments, but it seemed like mostly leftovers from his last special Sticks and Stones, which was his best work to date IMO. I've watched Sticks and Stones dozens of times, but I can't see myself watching Closer again.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
wilmwolf80 said:

I actually didn't think it was that great. There were moments, but it seemed like mostly leftovers from his last special Sticks and Stones, which was his best work to date IMO. I've watched Sticks and Stones dozens of times, but I can't see myself watching Closer again.

Disagree. Thought it was great. Here is a good review of the show. Has spoilers so DO NOT READ if you have not watched.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/10/08/brendan-on-dave-chapelle/
wilmwolf
Cool, I was offering a differing opinion, I understood that you thought it was great. His previous special contained some of the funniest material from any comedian ever, and I just didn't find myself laughing when watching the new special. I chuckled at a few things, and I didn't dislike it, it just doesn't stand up to his previous work in my opinion, which is ok. If you want to judge it as a social commentary speech, that may be different, but as a stand up comedy special, I found it mediocre.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
wilmwolf80 said:

Cool, I was offering a differing opinion, I understood that you thought it was great. His previous special contained some of the funniest material from any comedian ever, and I just didn't find myself laughing when watching the new special. I chuckled at a few things, and I didn't dislike it, it just doesn't stand up to his previous work in my opinion, which is ok. If you want to judge it as a social commentary speech, that may be different, but as a stand up comedy special, I found it mediocre.

Cool. I was posting a review of the show that I had just read. I disagree with you. I think it stands up and is far from mediocre. Too bad you didn't find yourself laughing during the show. I certainly did. But I also remember people talking about Raw being mediocre compared to Delirious. I disagreed then too.
dwanna
braz213 said:

I've had at least 3 friends tell me Squid Games is great. It's subtitles. Korean. I'll probably get into it this weekend.
I have 2 episodes left... It's been wild. After the Ganbu episode, I had to watch a Ted Lasso for some emotional recovery.

In retrospect, I wish I had watched with subtitles instead of the English dubbed over. Some of the voices seem almost cartoonish and kind of detract.

But overall, it's been really good.
barnburner
another vote for Click Bait.. the Mrs did not want to watch now it.. now she wants to binge it.
Packchem91
burnbarn said:

another vote for Click Bait.. the Mrs did not want to watch now it.. now she wants to binge it.
Will be interested in what you think when you finish it.

I'm now most of the way thru Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu.
Michael Shannon is golden...and Michael Cannavale is very good. Nicole Kidman is weird, which I think is likely not much of a stretch act for her and Melissa McCarthy is pretty much in character it seems.
caryking
burnbarn said:

I've got the last episode to watch! It's pretty good…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
barnburner
caryking said:

burnbarn said:

I've got the last episode to watch! It's pretty good…

Didn't see that one coming
barnburner

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.