Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

128,008 Views | 1054 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by griff17matt
FlossyDFlynt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The second half definitely picks up, but the fight scenes arent as good as the original.

The whole movie felt like a giant setup episodes for a series rather than a continuation of the original story, if that makes sense
ncsualum05
I was a huge Matrix fan back in the day. Loved it. Was disappointed in the 3rd movie but overall thought it was a good trilogy and that the first 2 were amazing. Obviously the original is the best. But I watched that new one on HBO max last week and I have to say I'm glad I didn't pay any money for it. I was bored as hell for a good portion of it. And I actually think it was a horrible movie and screwed the entire franchise up. I hated everything about it honestly. And I saw the whole thing hoping it would change.
JocoPack
Has anyone watched the new Grand Tour special yet? Got it queued up for this weekend.

After over a year I finally got around to watching Tenet last night. I enjoyed it. Definitely an interesting story that warrants at least one rewatch to make sure you got everything. Got halfway through the movie of saying to myself "that dude sounds just like Denzel" before I finally googled it and saw it was his son lol. Also thought Robert Pattison did a great job with his character.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
FlossyDFlynt
JocoPack said:

Has anyone watched the new Grand Tour special yet? Got it queued up for this weekend.

After over a year I finally got around to watching Tenet last night. I enjoyed it. Definitely an interesting story that warrants at least one rewatch to make sure you got everything. Got halfway through the movie of saying to myself "that dude sounds just like Denzel" before I finally googled it and saw it was his son lol. Also thought Robert Pattison did a great job with his character.
Carnage a Trois is the best show they have done in the new format. I realize its a fairly low bar, but I really enjoyed it.

Tenet feels like I need to watch it again, but no idea if I actually will. I usually like Nolan's deep story telling, but that one was a LOT
JocoPack
FlossyDFlynt said:

JocoPack said:

Carnage a Trois is the best show they have done in the new format. I realize its a fairly low bar, but I really enjoyed it.

Tenet feels like I need to watch it again, but no idea if I actually will. I usually like Nolan's deep story telling, but that one was a LOT
Glad to hear the guys are still making good stuff. Old Top Gear used to be our go-to back in college after a night of drinking.

Yeah I really want to better understand everything about Tenet but I just don't know if I have the brain capacity for that right now lol
packwest
Steve Williams said:

Finished Wheel of Time...it was okay, not great.

Watched Greyhound with Tom Hanks- it was good.

Started Ted Lasso...love it. Really good.
Greyhound was great -- not too long of a film; lots of action.

Let me know your thoughts on Ted Lasso after Season 2.
Steve Williams
Staff
packwest said:

Steve Williams said:

Oh no, don't tell me it goes downhill.
statefan91
Steve Williams said:

packwest said:

Steve Williams said:

I thought Season 2 was great, it took me a couple episodes to get into the season but really enjoyed it overall.
Ellesdad
Season 2 is great, it's just different. They changed it up, but I think they had to. I didn't fully appreciate season 2 until near the end.
SexualChocolate
Got another must watch that will get the pub like Squid Game. Watch Yellowjackets. Trust me if you like psychological thrillers.
statefan91
SexualChocolate said:

Got another must watch that will get the pub like Squid Game. Watch Yellowjackets. Trust me if you like psychological thrillers.

What's it on?
JocoPack
Looks like ShoTime...not to dismiss Randy Watson's recommendation but I'll wait for the reviews before I go adding another subscription. I loved Squid Game though..
CLTWolf
JocoPack said:

Looks like ShoTime...not to dismiss Randy Watson's recommendation but I'll wait for the reviews before I go adding another subscription. I loved Squid Game though..
Yellowjackets is GREAT. It's got Juliette Lewis playing a great part, Rose from 2.5 Men is really really good and Christina Ricci is always awesome.

I especially like it b/c the flashbacks happen in the mid 90s when I was in HS so the music takes me back as well.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JocoPack
CLTWolf said:

JocoPack said:

Yellowjackets is GREAT. It's got Juliette Lewis playing a great part, Rose from 2.5 Men is really really good and Christina Ricci is always awesome.

I especially like it b/c the flashbacks happen in the mid 90s when I was in HS so the music takes me back as well.
Hmm

How many episodes? I suppose I could spring for $11 and binge it. I'm sure showtime has a free trial as well.

Trying to limit my streaming services because damn if I'm not creeping back up to my old Direct TV days haha
packwest
statefan91 said:

Steve Williams said:

packwest said:

Steve Williams said:

I thought Season 2 was great, it took me a couple episodes to get into the season but really enjoyed it overall.
Season 2 wasn't bad....but I don't think it was as good as Season 1.
CLTWolf
JocoPack said:

CLTWolf said:

JocoPack said:

Hmm

How many episodes? I suppose I could spring for $11 and binge it. I'm sure showtime has a free trial as well.

Trying to limit my streaming services because damn if I'm not creeping back up to my old Direct TV days haha
8 episodes so far with 2 more to go before the season ends.
WolfQuacker
packwest said:

statefan91 said:

Steve Williams said:

packwest said:

Steve Williams said:

I thought Season 2 matched the genius of 1, but not straight out of the gate. It took me a few episodes, maybe even 4 or 5 to really realize just how good it still was. Don't get discouraged if you aren't drawn into season 2 immediately or feel let down - I've heard the same from nearly everyone who has watched both.
Packchem91
Ozark's season 4 (final) starts Jan21. 14 episodes over two parts this year.
Can't wait
wilmwolf
Did the second season of The Witcher a week ago. Thought it was better than the first season, mainly because it was more linear and easier to follow.

I liked Cowboy Beebop. Never watched the anime, but I thought the visuals of the live action looked nice so I burned through it last week. A little slow at times, but I enjoyed it.

Burned through WWII Road to Victory this weekend. Had watched the other series previously. I like history stuff so I enjoyed it. Not much ground breaking stuff that I didn't already know, but I did really like the episode that dealt with the campaign in Italy because that's where my grandfather served.

I too am looking forward to Ozark, and hopefully Peaky Blinders sometime soon as well.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
jkpackfan
Just finished Mayor of Kingstown, it was really good.
JocoPack
I've gotta get caught back up on Ozark. I quit watching after the second season for no particular reason. I enjoyed it while I watched it though.

Kind of going through Yellowstone withdrawals tonight. If only there was a prequel show that they could market the hell out of only for you to have to purchase another streaming service to access it fully /s
braz213
Ha. They are playing the game well. I'm sure they have invested a lot of money into it. It's good through 3 episodes. I just don't think McGraw is a good actor.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

I've gotta get caught back up on Ozark. I quit watching after the second season for no particular reason. I enjoyed it while I watched it though.

Kind of going through Yellowstone withdrawals tonight. If only there was a prequel show that they could market the hell out of only for you to have to purchase another streaming service to access it fully /s
And in a sign that hollywood never lets a little success just enjoy itself...Sheridan is creating another spinoff with Jimmy on the 6666 ranch in TX. If you lose the scenery of the Rockies, I'm not sure how long teh macho schtick and good soundtrack can carry the show.
Steve Williams
Staff
Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

And in a sign that hollywood never lets a little success just enjoy itself...Sheridan is creating another spinoff with Jimmy on the 6666 ranch in TX. If you lose the scenery of the Rockies, I'm not sure how long teh macho schtick and good soundtrack can carry the show.
Heck, I was glad when Jimmy's character was leaving. I know I won't be watching lol
statefan91
wilmwolf80 said:

Did the second season of The Witcher a week ago. Thought it was better than the first season, mainly because it was more linear and easier to follow.
Yep - was a fan of the new season of Witcher, binged through that pretty quickly.

Anyone watching Station Eleven on HBO? Just started last night and had to burn through 3 episodes, would've kept going if it wasn't too late.
packwest
Packchem91 said:

Ozark's season 4 (final) starts Jan21. 14 episodes over two parts this year.
Can't wait
Best news I've heard all day.
Steve Williams
Staff
statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yep - was a fan of the new season of Witcher, binged through that pretty quickly.

Anyone watching Station Eleven on HBO? Just started last night and had to burn through 3 episodes, would've kept going if it wasn't too late.
I watched it. It was okay. Entertaining but not great, at least not to me.
smitt86
Still 1 episode to go, but show(Station Eleven) has been a bit up and down for me.

Heard they're not likely doing a 2nd season, so hoping the wrap up S1 in a way that isn't too open-ended.

Very odd all of these people were in different places when all of this went down but they all seem to overlap SO much in their paths. The overlap made it a bit much but curious to see where they are going with this, and perhaps I just need to read the book it's based on.
metsbest
Anyone watch Dexter New Blood any thoughts on the end?
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Heck, I was glad when Jimmy's character was leaving. I know I won't be watching lol
Yeah, I didn't care for him much, but apparently a lot of folks resonated with him.
I like the Ryan Bingham character, Walker.
Packchem91
WolfQuacker said:

packwest said:

statefan91 said:

Steve Williams said:

packwest said:

Steve Williams said:

I thought Season 2 matched the genius of 1, but not straight out of the gate. It took me a few episodes, maybe even 4 or 5 to really realize just how good it still was. Don't get discouraged if you aren't drawn into season 2 immediately or feel let down - I've heard the same from nearly everyone who has watched both.
I had held off watching, just watched the Christmas episode (ep 4) tonight....while I agree the season kind of started slowly, the Christmas episode was everything that is right with TV.
WolfQuacker
Netflix - Archive 81. Pretty dark and suspenseful. I'm nearly done and would recommend. Have to be open to a bit far fetched occult type stuff, but I thought it was well done.
statefan91
Will be looking forward to this one:

JocoPack
Yeah I am excited about that as well. Really hope they do a good job with it.
CLTWolf

For you Lasso fans...

(it's great, btw)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.