Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,536 Views | 1050 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Bockwinkle
RunsWithWolves26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Me and the wife just signed up for Hulu for .99 a month for th next 12 months. Y'all give me some good series suggestions. Thanks in advance.
If you're into it, Wu Tang An American Saga is really good. The wifey might not like though lol.

Here are some others if you haven't watched

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther

Thanks. SOA was great!
jadawson
Dopesick is a pretty harrowing new show on Hulu. About the opioid crisis.

Only Murders in the building is a fun way to wash your palate afterwards, martin Short and Steve Martin are delightful.
jkpackfan
RunsWithWolves26 said:

jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Me and the wife just signed up for Hulu for .99 a month for th next 12 months. Y'all give me some good series suggestions. Thanks in advance.
If you're into it, Wu Tang An American Saga is really good. The wifey might not like though lol.

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther

Thanks. SOA was great!
I swear Mayans is just as good.
RunsWithWolves26
jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther

Thanks. SOA was great!

Will check it out for sure
statefan91
jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther
Black Sails
The Great
Y: The Last Man
Packchem91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther

Thanks. SOA was great!

The Handmaid's Tale
Wife loved Little Fires Everywhere
Dave -- great comedy, but pretty darn raunchy.
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther

Thanks. SOA was great!

The Handmaid's Tale
Wife loved Little Fires Everywhere
Dave -- great comedy, but pretty darn raunchy.

+1 for Dave on both accounts
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
jkpackfan
statefan91 said:

jkpackfan said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther
Black Sails
The Great
Y: The Last Man
I've had Black Sails on my list for a long time, I need to watch.
statefan91
Loved it - takes a little while to get through the first few episodes
FlossyDFlynt
Just finished 14 Peaks on Netflix. Documentary on a Nepali climber aiming to take on all 14 8,000 meter mountains on Earth in 7 months. Absolutely insane and great cinematography. 100% recommend
jadawson
FlossyDFlynt said:

Just finished 14 Peaks on Netflix. Documentary on a Nepali climber aiming to take on all 14 8,000 meter mountains on Earth in 7 months. Absolutely insane and great cinematography. 100% recommend
Watched that last night. What an achievement!
jkpackfan
I just finished Heels on Prime, I really enjoyed it.
Packchem91
FlossyDFlynt said:

I'm never sure of what is more impressive on these mountain / climbing movies -- what the athlete does, or what the film crews do. Jimmy Chin -- who is quite the accomplished climber in his own right, does a lot of filming for these things. Its astounding how he gets some of the shots -- and to think he's climbing like the guy the film is about - but carrying pounds of camera gear.
Packchem91
S3 of Succession is so strong. I only watch one episode at a time but I then get to look forward to the next. Kieran Culkin has gotten better each season. Show is just better when he's in the scene.
Though Greg is the only likeable character on the show.
Steve Williams
Staff
Finished season 3 of Ozark. Really good.

I would say the best series I've watched lately is Godless. I'm not a big Western guy but Jeff Daniels was amazing. If I was going to recommend one series it would be this one.

Watched final season of Bosch- loved it and thought it was right up there with the first season. Really hate to see it end but appears there will be a spinoff.

Started Station Eleven last night- just my opinion but AWFUL. I couldn't make it through two episodes.
Ellesdad
Best show since The Wire. Succession is amazing.
Ellesdad
Loved this.
statefan91
Started Witcher Season 2 on Netflix and like it so far.

Spider-Man: No Way Home was excellent, saw that in theaters

TBD on if I'll watch Matrix: Resurrections at home or in theaters

Saw Kingsman last night and it was fine, not as fun as the original
Steve Williams
Staff
Started Wheel of Time and it's been decent.
Sierrawolf
Saw "Don't Look Up" today…it was pretty funny at times but could see how some of the Water Cooler demographic might get butthurt about it
jkpackfan
Just watched the first episode of Boba Fett, really good.
Redwolf
jkpackfan said:

Thanks good to know, we are going to watch this weekend
jadawson
Sierrawolf said:

Saw "Don't Look Up" today…it was pretty funny at times but could see how some of the Water Cooler demographic might get butthurt about it

I laughed at times too. DiCaprio was good and I enjoyed cate Blanchett and Tyler Perry as the Uber educated hosts of a "news" program who just play characters and keep the news light and fun for the audience.

I don't think this style of Adam McKays works as well as he thinks it does though which is the biggest problem. The Big Short was also with a complete lack of subtlety but it works because it's an actually complex issue that even very well informed or intelligent people didn't have a great grasp of and was already done with and screwed us all over equally. This film(comet being a stand in for global warming or COVID or whatever) is not the same as it is still ongoing and the topics are heavily politicized.
jadawson
Steve Williams said:

Started Wheel of Time and it's been decent.

I haven't read the books but I'd also say I'm enjoying it. Not loving it yet but it has potential.

Daniel henney who plays Lan, and Rosamund Pike are phenomenal
FlossyDFlynt
Finished Road to Victory, a World War II documentary on Netflix. If you are a historical buff, its really well done
JocoPack
FlossyDFlynt said:

Finished Road to Victory, a World War II documentary on Netflix. If you are a historical buff, its really well done
I just saw that on there last night and added it to my list. I'll check it out this weekend along with Book of Boba Fett.
jkpackfan
Redwolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Thanks good to know, we are going to watch this weekend
It's gonna be really good.
dwanna
Finishing final season of "Money Heist" on Netflix. Have really enjoyed that show. The 1st 2 seasons especially.
jkpackfan
dwanna said:

Finishing final season of "Money Heist" on Netflix. Have really enjoyed that show. The 1st 2 seasons especially.
Really enjoyed the 1st season but haven't watched the 2nd yet.
FlossyDFlynt
Watched the new Matrix tonight. Better than the last two, but still no where near as good as the original. I will say, if nostalgia and fan service isn't your thing, it's probably a pass
Steve Williams
Staff
Finished Wheel of Time...it was okay, not great.

Watched Greyhound with Tom Hanks- it was good.

Started Ted Lasso...love it. Really good.
JocoPack
Steve Williams said:

Finished Wheel of Time...it was okay, not great.

Watched Greyhound with Tom Hanks- it was good.

Started Ted Lasso...love it. Really good.
Ted Lasso is truly one of the better shows to come out in the last few years IMO. Will give you a chuckle and pull at your heart strings a little.
statefan91
FlossyDFlynt said:

Watched the new Matrix tonight. Better than the last two, but still no where near as good as the original. I will say, if nostalgia and fan service isn't your thing, it's probably a pass
I tried to watch this last week and couldn't get past an hour or so. Should I stick it out?
FlossyDFlynt
statefan91 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I tried to watch this last week and couldn't get past an hour or so. Should I stick it out?
Ehhhhh. It was slow to start and picked up probably around that time frame, but its still no where near the first one. Ill put it this way, I went in with pretty low expectations and didnt expect it to be that good. I wanted a mindless action movie, and that's what I got. If you were hoping it would be close to the original, youll be disappointed. Overall, it was a solid "meh"
statefan91
Thanks - truthfully I was hoping for an action movie and started to get bored when Neo and Trinity were sitting around drinking coffee in a coffee shop. If it's not too painful before getting to action then maybe I'll jump back in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.