Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

125,675 Views | 1044 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by statefan91
jkpackfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PackFansXL said:

jkpackfan said:

statefan91 said:

This is movie related but.

HOLY **** TOP GUN 2 IS AWESOME
You're about the 3rd person I've heard say that, I'm definitely gonna check it out this weekend
Great movie!
Saw it last night and it was incredible…That's about as good as you can do a sequel.

The scene with Val Kilmer brought a couple of tears.
smitt86
Is Top Gun Maverick a good movie, or does it just touch enough nostalgia notes to make fans of the original really happy?
Sierrawolf
smitt86 said:

Is Top Gun Maverick a good movie, or does it just touch enough nostalgia notes to make fans of the original really happy?
Both.
statefan91
smitt86 said:

Yep, it's both. I think it's better than the original if I'm being honest. See it in an IMAX theater if you can.
Packchem91
smitt86 said:

I'd say it's both. But the nostalgia helps.
PackFansXL
statefan91 said:

smitt86 said:

Yep, it's both. I think it's better than the original if I'm being honest. See it in an IMAX theater if you can.
For me, I have never left a movie theater with such excitement and enthusiasm for a character as I did with the original Top Gun. That movie was the best naval aviator recruitment film ever made. It changed the culture in a way. Hair styles changed from covering the ears to clean cut military look almost overnight. Perhaps it was because I was the same age as the characters in the movie. I don't know, but my wife and I have watched that DVD many times with the sound cranked.

Anyway, we are big fans of Top Gun and we loved Top Gun Maverick. Maybe if I watch it a couple more times it will surpass the original. We'll see.

BTW, good call on the IMAX experience.
Packchem91
PackFansXL said:

statefan91 said:

smitt86 said:

For me, I have never left a movie theater with such excitement and enthusiasm for a character as I did with the original Top Gun. That movie was the best naval aviator recruitment film ever made. It changed the culture in a way. Hair styles changed from covering the ears to clean cut military look almost overnight. Perhaps it was because I was the same age as the characters in the movie. I don't know, but my wife and I have watched that DVD many times with the sound cranked.

Anyway, we are big fans of Top Gun and we loved Top Gun Maverick. Maybe if I watch it a couple more times it will surpass the original. We'll see.

BTW, good call on the IMAX experience.

I thought it was better than the original.
statefan91
Mustaches are already making their way back and Miles Teller rocking the Goose mustache will make it even more popular.
PackFansXL
statefan91 said:

Mustaches are already making their way back and Miles Teller rocking the Goose mustache will make it even more popular.
Cool! It is nice the younger folks get to experience something us old farts enjoyed back in the mid '80's.
SexualChocolate
PackFansXL said:

statefan91 said:

Cool! It is nice the younger folks get to experience something us old farts enjoyed back in the mid '80's.

Speaking of Miles Teller, The Offer is absolutely fantastic if you are a Godfather fan!
Packchem91
Pa*****o on AppleTV.

Follows the life of a Korean family across 4 generations dating back to early 1900s, thru the Japanese colonization and moving of hundreds of thousands of Koreans to Japan for cheap labor, and the challenges they faced.

All in Korean/Japanese, so you need the captions, but very good. Well acted. People can survive a whole lot.
griff17matt
Last season of Peaky Blinders drops tomorrow on Netflix. Anyone else gonna be binging it this weekend?
packgrad
griff17matt said:

Last season of Peaky Blinders drops tomorrow on Netflix. Anyone else gonna be binging it this weekend?

I will catch a couple for sure.
Packchem91
Packchem91 said:

Pa*****o on AppleTV.

Follows the life of a Korean family across 4 generations dating back to early 1900s, thru the Japanese colonization and moving of hundreds of thousands of Koreans to Japan for cheap labor, and the challenges they faced.

All in Korean/Japanese, so you need the captions, but very good. Well acted. People can survive a whole lot.
lol, didn't even register with me that the name of the show has a negative term in it.

Pac-hink-o. Minus the hyphens.
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Pa*****o on AppleTV.

lol, didn't even register with me that the name of the show has a negative term in it.

LOL. I don't remember if it is spelled the same or not, but isn't that also the name of the old Japanese "Pinball" machines? *a friend of mine had one when we were growing up.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Pa*****o on AppleTV.

LOL. I don't remember if it is spelled the same or not, but isn't that also the name of the old Japanese "Pinball" machines? *a friend of mine had one when we were growing up.
Exactly -- one of the family members runs a business that is exactly that in Japan --- the pinball type games in an arcade type environment.
statefan91
griff17matt said:

Absolutely - I was in London a month ago and got to watch the first couple episodes, enjoyed it so far
griff17matt
statefan91 said:

griff17matt said:

Absolutely - I was in London a month ago and got to watch the first couple episodes, enjoyed it so far

An absolute travesty that COVID took away Helen McCrory's ability to close Polly out.
smitt86
S3 of The Boys is back on Amazon Prime.

Not sure if anyone else watches, but the first 15 minutes or so of the 1st episode was...wild.
wilmwolf
smitt86 said:

Not sure if anyone else watches, but the first 15 minutes or so of the 1st episode was...wild.

Yup, that was pretty far out there
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
smitt86
wilmwolf80 said:

smitt86 said:

Yup, that was pretty far out there
I 100% thought he was going in the backdoor...I did NOT see that coming, haha.
PackFansXL
Do we have any Drive to Survive fans on here? I have watched all the seasons and become a big fan of Formula 1. I took my family to see our first F1 race in person last year in Austin.

The radical changes made to the cars this year have really improved racing. Two or three seasons ago, they put in strict budget limits and that has helped level the playing field a little. Each race requires team managers to make decisions about incorporating upgrades and spending their budget with hopes of winning the Constructor's Championship and/or Driver's Championship.

The cars are hybrids; so, drivers have to manage how they use their motors. Aerodynamics are extremely important and some teams are really struggling to keep their cars from getting sucked to the surface where they suddenly release some of the down force and this causes some of the cars to bounce or "porpoise" at high speeds. It's an intriguing set of engineering problems coupled with real-time team management decision making, reliability challenges, tire decisions, and aggressive driving choices. The more you know about the sport, the more interesting it is to watch. Go to Formula1.com to see daily updates on how the 10 teams are performing and keep up with the race schedule and standings.
FlossyDFlynt
PackFansXL said:

Do we have any Drive to Survive fans on here? I have watched all the seasons and become a big fan of Formula 1. I took my family to see our first F1 race in person last year in Austin.

The radical changes made to the cars this year have really improved racing. Two or three seasons ago, they put in strict budget limits and that has helped level the playing field a little. Each race requires team managers to make decisions about incorporating upgrades and spending their budget with hopes of winning the Constructor's Championship and/or Driver's Championship.

The cars are hybrids; so, drivers have to manage how they use their motors. Aerodynamics are extremely important and some teams are really struggling to keep their cars from getting sucked to the surface where they suddenly release some of the down force and this causes some of the cars to bounce or "porpoise" at high speeds. It's an intriguing set of engineering problems coupled with real-time team management decision making, reliability challenges, tire decisions, and aggressive driving choices. The more you know about the sport, the more interesting it is to watch. Go to Formula1.com to see daily updates on how the 10 teams are performing and keep up with the race schedule and standings.
/raises hand

I got hooked during lockdown. It was also one of the first sports to come back, so it gave me something to watch. I watch every race now, as do a few of my friends. As someone who is pretty blunt, I love the fact there isn't really a place to hide and you get pretty rational responses from drivers and teams, which I really appreciate. I havent made it to a race yet, but hope to in the future.

Ive also really started to enjoy Indycar as well. Way less technical and I dont quite understand the strategies, but its good racing.
caryking
Hey, I'm glad we have some F1 fans here. I've been watching F1 all the way back to the 90's. I've always been a Ferrari team fan and follow them closely. That said, I love the livery on the Alphatauri cars (Pierre Gasley)!

Also, Mclaren has a F1 team and Indy team. Their cars have crossed over into CanAm and all sorts of racing. Great livery!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Sierrawolf
Wow that opening scene of The Boys…
Packchem91
Just finished WeCrashed, based on Adam Neumann and the WeWork startup and blow up. Very entertaining, though you certainly grow to dislike Neumann and his wife.
On AppleTV.
smitt86
Sierrawolf said:

Wow that opening scene of The Boys…
First 15 minutes was...something else, haha.
smitt86
statefan91 said:

smitt86 said:

Finally saw Maverick in theaters.

I've had multiple people tell me they liked it more than the original, but also admitted they weren't huge fans of the original.

I don't think it's on the same level as the first in terms of story/character development, but I did really enjoy it as a sequel. As far as actual flying sequences, dogfights, mission, it's better, but everything else it falls short. Less character development, less comedy, less drama, worse soundtrack, less overall story, and the beach sport sequence doesn't hold a candle to the original, haha.

Still a fun experience in theaters and would see it again, but I'd still need to see it another 100 or so times to see it as many times as the original, haha.
caryking
My wife and I are watching "The Lincoln Lawyer" on Netflix. We really are enjoying this 10 part series. Hopefully, they do a second season.

Joe Biden
Steve Williams
Staff
caryking said:

My wife and I are watching "The Lincoln Lawyer" on Netflix. We really are enjoying this 10 part series. Hopefully, they do a second season.
We watched that as well. Enjoyed it.
caryking
Steve Williams said:

caryking said:

Looks like they are doing a second season...

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Steve Williams said:

caryking said:

speaking of new seasons....the 2 big ones for me:

Ted Lasso
Yellowstone

both have previously come out in July I think. I read where Ted Lasso will be ending with S3, which is sad, because its the best show on TV for me
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Steve Williams said:

caryking said:

Ted Lasso
Yellowstone

both have previously come out in July I think. I read where Ted Lasso will be ending with S3, which is sad, because its the best show on TV for me
What is Ted Lasso on? Netflix, Amazon??

Joe Biden
jadawson
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Steve Williams said:

caryking said:

Ted Lasso
Yellowstone

What is Ted Lasso on? Netflix, Amazon??
apple
statefan91
Has anyone watched other Apple TV shows besides Ted Lasso? It seems like they've put out a bunch. Physical is good because I'm always up for 80s nostalgia, but interested to see if there's any others worth watching.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.