Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

128,720 Views | 1054 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by griff17matt
smitt86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought the original Vikings show started off good but down the stretch it really floundered, esp when it got cancelled and picked up by another service just to finish the story.

Vikings Valhalla is a generation or two removed from that series but you really don't have to watch it to understand any of it, just gives more context to characters they reference and some of the cities/towns.

I finally watched Andor and Willow on Disney+. I honestly no expectations for Willow, just enjoyed the 80s movie, but I thought the show was well done and seems like they have another season or two to come, so looking forward to that.

Watched Netflix's show 1899.... it was solid, reminded me a little bit of "Dark" but not even close to the same level of depth/complexity, but it's only 1 season.
Packchem91
Shrinking on AppleTV. Comedy,. Stars Jason Segal and Harrison Ford as psychologists where Segal is beginning to tell his patients very direct feedback.

Its made by the same folks who did Ted Lasso, and you can tell it as you get that same good feeling after watching an episode. But it is released weekly, so only a couple of episodes out so far, but I'll be watching it going forward.

Also convinced the wife to watch Longmire. She's never seen it. I love it, and she enjoys it for (1) scenery and (2) don't have to hear the "f" word every 4th word like anything released directly onto streaming.
Steve Williams
Staff
Getting caught up on Succession and finished the finale of season 2 last night. Damn, what a great ending.
wilmwolf
Watched season 1 of The Recruit on Netflix. Kind of a low budget Jack Ryan wannabe. It mostly held my attention and ended on a cliffhanger so I'll probably watch the next season. Overall it was just ok.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
Finding that Paramount+ is pretty decent, working my way through some Survivor seasons I've missed that got good reviews
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

Getting caught up on Succession and finished the finale of season 2 last night. Damn, what a great ending.
The upcoming S4 will be the last one. As intense as it is, and with as limited set of characters, 4 seasons seems about right. I hope it will be as good as the first 3 seasons
Packchem91
Not streaming, but went to see Jesus Revolution this w/e with the fam. It was good.
My biggest takeaway was that the acting and production of the Christian-focused movies has come a long ways over the last few years. I thought this one at least looked and was acted like a regular movie.
Packchem91
Another movie - on Amazon. Till.
About the murder of Emmet Till, but told from his mothers view

Every time I watch a movie like this, I question when people say "if we could just go back to the good ol days when we didn't have to deal with all this libtard behavior and such".

braz213
That isn't what they mean. Cmon.
Packchem91
braz213 said:

That isn't what they mean. Cmon.

Directly, no. But just because terrible shows weren't on tv and times seemed simpler, doesn't mean they were.

Similarly - here people in church say "these have to be the end times because we've strayed so far". Like, compared to what?
jkpackfan
I could've sworn this thread was about movie/tv recommendations.
Packchem91
Finally. Mar 15

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/ted-lasso-season-3-trailer-1235537067/

Packchem91
Daisy Jones & the Six on Amazon.

1970s rise to fame band. Told from real time view but then with flashback perspectives from the main characters telling the story.
Like most of the music-themed movies/series, it's very entertaining with mixing in real music from the era
smitt86
So I know there are several fans of the The Last Kingdom on here.

Friday they dropped The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die. It was bittersweet because I enjoyed the movie but it was sad knowing we weren't getting anymore episodes of such a great show, haha.
statefan91
smitt86 said:

Friday they dropped The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die. It was bittersweet because I enjoyed the movie but it was sad knowing we weren't getting anymore episodes of such a great show, haha.
I don't feel like I heard anything about the release, I knew the movie was supposed to tie up things but had no idea it was already released. Glad to hear I can check it out.
griff17matt
Haven't read through this entire thread so I apologize if this has been discussed before. Has anyone watched CB Strike on HBO/Cinemax?

I am a huge fan of the books and I think they've done an outstanding job with this series. If you haven't watched it, check it out sometime if you like a good detective procedural show.
smitt86
statefan91 said:

smitt86 said:

I don't feel like I heard anything about the release, I knew the movie was supposed to tie up things but had no idea it was already released. Glad to hear I can check it out.
I knew it was coming out but never saw a date and forgot about it, logged on this weekend to see if anything new was out and it was the first thing I see when I fired up Netflix. Needless to say, it was a pleasant surprise, haha.
wilmwolf
Last Kingdom movie was good, but not great. I'm glad the series got an ending, I enjoyed it over the years. The movie seemed a little short on development when it came to the new bad guy characters, and the pacing was a little hurried compared to the series, but it was still a welcome surprise to watch this weekend.
910wolf
I've been watching Rabbit Hole on Paramount plus. Really enjoyed it so far.

24 is one of my all-time favorite shows, so I am a sucker for anything with Kiefer Sutherland.

Has Meta Golding and Charles Dance co-starring.
packgrad
Reading Twitter has been a spoiler for Welcome to Wrexham, but next year is going to be great.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Reading Twitter has been a spoiler for Welcome to Wrexham, but next year is going to be great.

I know you won't read this, but the scene today was outstanding! I can only imagine the intense outpouring of emotion in that working class town when they finally got back to the EFL after 15 years of wandering the desert

Paul Mullin is the man.
Packchem91
Speaking of outstanding, the first 3 episodes of S4 of Succession have been superb.
In particular, episode 3, which I will not describe other than to say you will remember it when you watch it, was one of the best acted shows I can remember.
Kieren Culkin has become so so good in this show
packgrad
We've started The Diplomat on Netflix. 3 episodes in. Really enjoying it. I like Keri Russell so that helps.
Packchem91
Not streaming, but three movies recently:

Indiana Jones - meh. I mean, it was about what you would expect with an 80 year old action hero.

The Flash. Really enjoyed. Dc has caught on that every action movie doesn't have to be morbidly dark. Some funny scenes with historical Batman characters

MI: Dead Reckoning. Had not realized it was going to be a multi-part movie til i realized my ticket said "part one". The first episode is 3 hrs, full of action. The characters have so many good interactions. Well done, looking forward to part 2

jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

Indiana Jones - meh. I mean, it was about what you would expect with an 80 year old action hero.

The Flash. Really enjoyed. Dc has caught on that every action movie doesn't have to be morbidly dark. Some funny scenes with historical Batman characters

MI: Dead Reckoning. Had not realized it was going to be a multi-part movie til i realized my ticket said "part one". The first episode is 3 hrs, full of action. The characters have so many good interactions. Well done, looking forward to part 2

Thanks, I've been debating on whether to watch The Flash.
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

It's not going to be an award winning movie, and maybe it helped I don't know the backstory of the character (nor any of the other comics-based characters that make up about half the movies these days), so didn't have an expectation

Plus, movie theater popcorn
jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

It's not going to be an award winning movie, and maybe it helped I don't know the backstory of the character (nor any of the other comics-based characters that make up about half the movies these days), so didn't have an expectation

Plus, movie theater popcorn
Yeah I remember very little about the character but will definitely check it out.

I could eat tubs of that deliciousness lol
Packchem91
Went to see Oppenheimer. Wow. I'd heard hype about the role Cillian Murphy plays, and he was just awesome.

I love movies based on history and this one was extremely compelling.

Great weekend for the theaters. The one we go to was by far the most crowded I've ever seen it. Of course most of the people were pink-clad, but several other movies sold out as well on a Sunday afternoon
caryking
The Lincoln Lawyer is a decent watch…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
Finished Ted Lasso. So awesome.

The world has changed since the 1960s and now it's encouraged to say the "f" word every 3rd word apparently, but in terms of ultimately treating each other with kindness, forgiveness, and with dignity, the show reminded me of greatest show ever - The Andy Griffith Show
dogplasma
Non-streaming entry: Saw Asteroid City a couple weeks back. Die-hard Wes Anderson fans may like it, and it's got his usual storybook-like visuals which are great. But as a compelling story, it fell very flat with me. Just not that interesting. Grand Budapest Hotel was vastly better.

Also, I watched one episode of the new Black Mirror season - the one with Aaron Paul. I had some trouble with the basic premise, which didn't help, but it wasn't too bad. I need to try some of the others if I think they're not going to be too graphic.
wilmwolf
Watched the final season of Jack Ryan, was good but short. Felt like it was maybe left open for a spinoff even though it's the last season.

Watched Tom Segura's new special. He's one of my favorite stand-ups, but I didn't think the new special lived up to past ones. It leans very heavy into the stuff he talks about on his podcasts (which I don't really listen to outside of YouTube clips on occasion), and on past jokes, and felt kinda lazy to me.

Trying to finish the most recent season of the Witcher but the pacing is awful, just so slow and I find myself on my phone most of the time not paying attention because it's boring. I'll get through it eventually but probably won't get up with whatever new direction they go in.

Lincoln lawyer is up next in my list, I liked the first season so looking for to it.
Sierrawolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Watched the final season of Jack Ryan, was good but short. Felt like it was maybe left open for a spinoff even though it's the last season.

Watched Tom Segura's new special. He's one of my favorite stand-ups, but I didn't think the new special lived up to past ones. It leans very heavy into the stuff he talks about on his podcasts (which I don't really listen to outside of YouTube clips on occasion), and on past jokes, and felt kinda lazy to me.

Trying to finish the most recent season of the Witcher but the pacing is awful, just so slow and I find myself on my phone most of the time not paying attention because it's boring. I'll get through it eventually but probably won't get up with whatever new direction they go in.

Lincoln lawyer is up next in my list, I liked the first season so looking for to it.

Agree on Witcher..I just stopped watching.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Not familiar with Witcher but your description of it is how I was with about the 3rd season of Vikings.

Currently watching Hijack. Nothing distracting me at all in that one, it has been very good
barnburner
I'm looking for good 30 minute comedies…..Go!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.