Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

125,654 Views | 1044 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by statefan91
jkpackfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TraCha4 said:

I know this one is old but I just discovered it. Last three nights I have watched seasons 1 and 2 of Billions. It's great so far.
Billions is great…have you watched Succession?
Steve Williams
Staff
Watched Woman in a house watching a girl across the street (or some variation of that) really odd series. The first six episodes were interesting although you'd have to suspend belief along the way. And then the final two episodes went completely off the rails. The last episode was almost comical in its ridiculousness and I think maybe they meant it to be that way. But hey, there's Kristin Bell so that makes it watchable all day long.
barnburner
TraCha4 said:

I know this one is old but I just discovered it. Last three nights I have watched seasons 1 and 2 of Billions. It's great so far.

I loved the first 2 seasons. Lost interest in the 3rd. Great show
TraCha4
I have not but I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up
caryking
If you want something that's a little more light hearted, check out Red Oaks on Amazon. The wife and I watched it and really enjoyed the series.

Sometimes it can't be all serious and suspenseful…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
jkpackfan
caryking said:

If you want something that's a little more light hearted, check out Red Oaks on Amazon. The wife and I watched it and really enjoyed the series.

I really enjoyed it, A guy I went to high school with wrote it

Wish they'd come out with another season
jkpackfan
TraCha4 said:

I have not but I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up
I like it a little better
WolfQuacker
jadawson said:

Watched CODA last night, nominated for an oscar for best picture. It may not be for everyone but if you have family or just know anyone who is deaf its gonna resonate pretty strongly with you and in my opinion its gonna work emotionally for anyone who has children whether they know anyone deaf or not.

Edit: Forgot to mention its on Apple TV + so if you have any time left after binging ted lasso or the morning show its worth a watch
LOVED it.
WolfQuacker
Still holding my breath on a new season of Loudermilk.
jadawson
WolfQuacker said:

jadawson said:

Watched CODA last night, nominated for an oscar for best picture. It may not be for everyone but if you have family or just know anyone who is deaf its gonna resonate pretty strongly with you and in my opinion its gonna work emotionally for anyone who has children whether they know anyone deaf or not.

Edit: Forgot to mention its on Apple TV + so if you have any time left after binging ted lasso or the morning show its worth a watch
LOVED it.
I was hoping it would get more acting recognition from awards bodies. I thought Troy Kotsur as the father had a shot, he was incredible and had a couple of really standout scenes.
caryking
jkpackfan said:

caryking said:

I really enjoyed it, A guy I went to high school with wrote it

Wish they'd come out with another season
I agree! It was great! Kudos to your high school friend…

Joe Biden
WolfQuacker
Anyone watching Severance or Inventing Anna. Intrigued by both so far, but nothing I'm going out and telling my friends about.
dwanna
WolfQuacker said:

Still holding my breath on a new season of Loudermilk.
Season 3 got so dark, but I still want more!
Steve Williams
Staff
WolfQuacker said:

Anyone watching Severance or Inventing Anna. Intrigued by both so far, but nothing I'm going out and telling my friends about.
Started Severance last night. Loved the first episode. It's different.
WolfQuacker
Steve Williams said:

WolfQuacker said:

No doubt. Tried explaining the dichotomy concept to my wife... it's so crazy. YOU NEVER LEAVE WORK or... YOU NEVER HAVE TO WORK - both at the same time. LOL.
Cornpack
Just as a topical thing, Winter on Fire on Netflix is great. It's a documentary about the 2013 Ukrainian revolution and how they overthrew the puppet Russian government they had in place
Retired internet funny guy
statefan91
Steve Williams said:

WolfQuacker said:

Watched the preview after watching a couple episodes of Yellowjackets.

Severance definitely looks interesting.
Steve Williams
Staff
By the way, finished 1883. Definitely recommend. Final episode was really, really good. I thought Tim McGraw was very good in his role and I was already a huge Sam Elliott fan.
CLTWolf
Steve Williams said:

By the way, finished 1883. Definitely recommend. Final episode was really, really good. I thought Tim McGraw was very good in his role and I was already a huge Sam Elliott fan.
Sam Elliott is the damn goat. My mother, my she rest in peace, always said she wanted a poster of Sam Elliott to put up on the wall in her bedroom. hahahahaha. My father agreed.

Tim McGraw was great. His wife....could've been better.

Very good show for sure. Ready to see how they handle 1932.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
caryking
WolfQuacker said:

I think Inventing Anna is really good! Its amazing how Julie Garner has changed her acting, from Ruth in Ozark, to Anna in Inventing Anna...

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
Cornpack said:

Just as a topical thing, Winter on Fire on Netflix is great. It's a documentary about the 2013 Ukrainian revolution and how they overthrew the puppet Russian government they had in place
The sequel that was started a couple of days ago should be quite interesting once it's completed.
packgrad
jadawson said:

I don't know anyone deaf nor have children. Thought it was wonderful. Great movie.
jadawson
packgrad said:

jadawson said:

I don't know anyone deaf nor have children. Thought it was wonderful. Great movie.
Glad to hear it! I still have to see Belfast and Drive my Car but i think its my favorite of the Best Picture nominees this year.
packgrad
jadawson said:

packgrad said:

jadawson said:

Glad to hear it! I still have to see Belfast and Drive my Car but i think its my favorite of the Best Picture nominees this year.

Was watching today with my wife and in laws and I had one of those pre cry gasps during one of the scenes. Quickly regrouped and got my **** together (played it off with a cough) as I did not want to do that in front of them. Plan to watch again to give it what it deserves. I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in some time.

Edit to add… the emotion is because of touching/moving scenes, not because an overly sad movie. Wanted to mention that so people don't think it's a sad movie. It is not at all. It's actually a very funny movie.
mdreid
watched the Bubba Wallace special on Netflix this weekend, its 6 episode mini series and its 50% of social justice stuff which meh but you really get an insight into Bubba and his childhood and family life, also a lot of cool insight on how 23XI got started and operated throughout their first season
jadawson
packgrad said:

jadawson said:

packgrad said:

jadawson said:

Was watching today with my wife and in laws and I had one of those pre cry gasps during one of the scenes. Quickly regrouped and got my **** together (played it off with a cough) as I did not want to do that in front of them. Plan to watch again to give it what it deserves. I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in some time.

Edit to add… the emotion is because of touching/moving scenes, not because an overly sad movie. Wanted to mention that so people don't think it's a sad movie. It is not at all. It's actually a very funny movie.

Definitely a funny movie. The father signing to the daughters singing partner to "put a helmet on his soldier" had me in stitches.
Packchem91
jadawson said:

packgrad said:

jadawson said:

I thought Belfast was outstanding. Great roles in that movie, very moving storyline, and tremendous soundtrack with all those Van Morrison tunes. And the little boy was hilarious.
WolfQuacker
caryking said:

WolfQuacker said:

I think Inventing Anna is really good! Its amazing how Julie Garner has changed her acting, from Ruth in Ozark, to Anna in Inventing Anna...
Just finished this yesterday on a rainy, lazy Sunday. It's amazing to see just how true it is that big finance is largely about who you know and much less what you know. The show solidified how much I despise NY (and any other cities that are just like it. I'm looking at you LA).
Packchem91
CLTWolf said:

Steve Williams said:

Sam Elliott is the damn goat. My mother, my she rest in peace, always said she wanted a poster of Sam Elliott to put up on the wall in her bedroom. hahahahaha. My father agreed.

Just finished 1883 as well. Sam Elliot was so good. He brought an emotion that no one else on the show could muster. The scenes where it was just he, LaMonica Garrett and Tim McGraw were off together, usually lamenting how they weren't going to make it, where the best part of the show.

Who owed a favor to the McGraw family though....Faith Hill? Wow, shes terrible at acting.

Taylor Sheridan is a busy man -- and based on the trailer for the shows he's developing, some good actors lined up to play roles for him.
caryking
WolfQuacker said:

caryking said:

WolfQuacker said:

Just finished this yesterday on a rainy, lazy Sunday. It's amazing to see just how true it is that big finance is largely about who you know and much less what you know. The show solidified how much I despise NY (and any other cities that are just like it. I'm looking at you LA).
It's not just NY and LA, it's everywhere…. Nonetheless, the only thing I liked about what she did is screw them all. Now, she is going to jail for it; however, I think she has been released and waiting on extradition for the US.

Joe Biden
caryking
Packchem91 said:

CLTWolf said:

Steve Williams said:

Just finished 1883 as well. Sam Elliot was so good. He brought an emotion that no one else on the show could muster. The scenes where it was just he, LaMonica Garrett and Tim McGraw were off together, usually lamenting how they weren't going to make it, where the best part of the show.

Who owed a favor to the McGraw family though....Faith Hill? Wow, shes terrible at acting.

Taylor Sheridan is a busy man -- and based on the trailer for the shows he's developing, some good actors lined up to play roles for him.
Wasn't that series produced outside of the Hollywood machine?

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

CLTWolf said:

Steve Williams said:

I don't know that, but when I think of it, between 4 seasons of Yellowstone and now 1883, I can't recall a gay character scene….and that is incredibly rare by todays tv show standards
jadawson
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

CLTWolf said:

Steve Williams said:

depends on what you mean by "Hollywood machine". Yellowstone was the first series greenlit by Paramount+ and was produced by guys deep in the "machine' including Harvey Weinstein. 1883 didn't have Weinstein involvement but the series was still a Viacom/CBS production like Yellowstone.
Packchem91
Finally finished Bosch. Took a long time and worked around other series....but Bosch was very good. Top notch as far as police shows go.

The final S7 seemed a bit rushed (it was 2 episodes shorter than previous 6 seasons)...and I wonder if Covid had an impact on that forcing them to wrap up production earlier than maybe originally planned.
Either way, still a good ending and true to the character.
Steve Williams
Staff
Packchem91 said:

Finally finished Bosch. Took a long time and worked around other series....but Bosch was very good. Top notch as far as police shows go.

The final S7 seemed a bit rushed (it was 2 episodes shorter than previous 6 seasons)...and I wonder if Covid had an impact on that forcing them to wrap up production earlier than maybe originally planned.
Either way, still a good ending and true to the character.
I agree. One of my favorite series. The only thing I didn't particularly care for as how they made the chief out to be a bad guy in the final season. But still, a great series.

Started the new Vikings series on Netflix and it's been very, very good. Right on par with the previous Vikings series. Looking forward to the new series of The Last Kingdom and Reacher.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.