Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,643 Views | 1050 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Bockwinkle
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The streaming wars are over - CNN

Packchem91
Finally finished The Last Kingdom. Truly view it as one of the greatest action shows I've ever watched. Uhtred is now my favorite show characters ever.

It was good from the start, but the maturation of Uhtred's character was very well done, and the show got crisper and better with each season.
smitt86
Packchem91 said:

Finally finished The Last Kingdom. Truly view it as one of the greatest action shows I've ever watched. Uhtred is now my favorite show characters ever.

It was good from the start, but the maturation of Uhtred's character was very well done, and the show got crisper and better with each season.
Watching the movie, knowing it's our last piece of Uhtred... it's gonna be tough, haha.
wilmwolf
Other than needing a flow chart to keep up with all of the similar sounding names, it was one of my favorites. May have to rewatch it at some point.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Other than needing a flow chart to keep up with all of the similar sounding names, it was one of my favorites. May have to rewatch it at some point.
haaa, so true. When they reached the 20+ mark on Aethel-xxxxx names, I just gave up.
Realsouthwolf
smitt86 said:

Packchem91 said:

Watching the movie, knowing it's our last piece of Uhtred... it's gonna be tough, haha.
Is the movie out? I've read all the books and watched the series. All excellent.
Packchem91
Realsouthwolf said:

smitt86 said:

Packchem91 said:

Is the movie out? I've read all the books and watched the series. All excellent.

Supposed to be in filming
smitt86
Realsouthwolf said:

smitt86 said:

Packchem91 said:

Guy who plays Uhtred posted a while back he had finished filming his scenes and IMDB lists the project as "post-production" now.

So hopefully it'll be out in a few months.
Ellesdad
Love this show.
TheStorm
Might not be Amazon / Netflix related, but damn... the promos for that new Idris Elba movie coming out look incredible.

Beast.
ncsualum05
Packchem91 said:

DESTINY IS ALL!

Awesome show. Will miss for sure.
kwolf93
Packchem91 said:

Agreed.

IMO, this was up there with GOT, but with a better ending.
jadawson

thought this was interesting but probably not deserving of its own post so i'll stick it in here. last month per Nielsen, streaming officially was more utilized around the country than cable for the first time ever.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

The streaming wars are over - CNN

Thanks for that article…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
caryking
Just got done with season three of Succession. My wife and I really liked the series. Can't wait for season four.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Just got done with season three of Succession. My wife and I really liked the series. Can't wait for season four.
Same. We're really looking forward to it as well. The one drawback on streaming is the unpredictability of when the next season comes out.
Back in the day, you always knew Cheers or ER or _____ was going to start up right after Labor Day. Now...often 2 years between seasons of these shows. Like, when does the next season of The Crown come out (actually just saw something saying this NOV)
statefan91
Enjoying Sandman on Netflix, but I'm a Neil Gaiman fan.
barnburner
The Mrs and I are enjoying Black Bird on AppleTV. Very suspenseful.... serial killer mystery w Greg Kinnear and Ray Liotta in his final role.
Packchem91
barnburner said:

The Mrs and I are enjoying Black Bird on AppleTV. Very suspenseful.... serial killer mystery w Greg Kinnear and Ray Liotta in his final role.
We found that to be a good show as well. The voice of the suspected serial killer was very fitting.
smitt86
statefan91 said:

Enjoying Sandman on Netflix, but I'm a Neil Gaiman fan.
I really enjoyed it, but it also felt like 2 seasons meshed into 1.

Love the premise of the show and how they setup the endless and everything. Looking forward to a 2nd season.
FlossyDFlynt
Enjoyed the first episode of House of the Dragon. Definitely felt like the start of one of the early seasons of Game of Thrones.
statefan91
FlossyDFlynt said:

Enjoyed the first episode of House of the Dragon. Definitely felt like the start of one of the early seasons of Game of Thrones.
Yes - it was interesting, brutal, had dragons. Perfect start, hopefully it carries on.\

And in two weeks we get the LoTR series on Amazon Prime, hopefully that's good as well.
jadawson
statefan91 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Yes - it was interesting, brutal, had dragons. Perfect start, hopefully it carries on.\

And in two weeks we get the LoTR series on Amazon Prime, hopefully that's good as well.
avoiding spoilers here, but that one scene with the king and queen that was intercut with tourney/joust fighting was particularly brutal.
ncsualum05
FlossyDFlynt said:

Good first episode for sure. I've been anticipating this one for a long time... huge fan of the books and series. I will say that it would benefit everyone who is planning to watch this to at least look up some cliff notes about who these characters are. I have read most of the book "Fire and Blood" which is basically a Targaryen history book. It is written from the perspective of a maester as if it were history. Good book. But again if you're not interested in reading a whole book you could find some cliff notes easily on Youtube or where ever. Otherwise you could be lost with all these new characters. Plus some of the great houses with the most influence during that period were not prominent during the timeframe of the original Game of Thrones show. Most casual GOT fans aren't going to understand the significant roles House Hightower or House Velaryon.
metcalfmafia
jadawson said:

statefan91 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

avoiding spoilers here, but that one scene with the king and queen that was intercut with tourney/joust fighting was particularly brutal.
Yeah. I have to get my violence / gore meter turned back on again. It's been a while.
statefan91
ncsualum05 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Good first episode for sure. I've been anticipating this one for a long time... huge fan of the books and series. I will say that it would benefit everyone who is planning to watch this to at least look up some cliff notes about who these characters are. I have read most of the book "Fire and Blood" which is basically a Targaryen history book. It is written from the perspective of a maester as if it were history. Good book. But again if you're not interested in reading a whole book you could find some cliff notes easily on Youtube or where ever. Otherwise you could be lost with all these new characters. Plus some of the great houses with the most influence during that period were not prominent during the timeframe of the original Game of Thrones show. Most casual GOT fans aren't going to understand the significant roles House Hightower or House Velaryon.
This is a YT channel I've enjoyed for Game of Thrones stuff

PackFansXL
Troppo on Prime was interesting.

smitt86
The Manti Te'o documentary is wild. Well done, but wild.
Sierrawolf
Anyone seen Rings of Power on Amazon? Trying to decide if it's worth my time.
Ellesdad
Sierrawolf said:

Anyone seen Rings of Power on Amazon? Trying to decide if it's worth my time.

It's good. I enjoy it. If you're going into thinking it's an exact prequel to Peter Jackson's stuff, you'll be disappointed.
Steve Williams
Staff
Any of you watching House of the Dragon? Man, I'm really trying but it's just been boring. Maybe it's just too sophisticated for me. Not sure. Lol Huge letdown thus far.
smitt86
I started House of Dragon but only made it 2 episodes, still have plans to go back but it's not a show that I'm just excited to go watch.

On the other hand, watched the latest season of Cobra Kai, such a good show and was a really easy watch, was hard not to just binge it.
Bell Tower Grey
We watched "American Murder, The Family Next Door" last night on Netflix. It's about that scumbag Chris Watts (also a devoted tar hole fan) that killed his pregnant wife Shanann and threw his daughters Celest and Bella into a crude oil storage tank to drown.

Just damn. I didn't sleep much last night. Wish now I hadn't watched it.
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

Any of you watching House of the Dragon? Man, I'm really trying but it's just been boring. Maybe it's just too sophisticated for me. Not sure. Lol Huge letdown thus far.
Stick with it. They are doing a good job filling in the roles. But they are basically giving you a couple decades of background right now leading up to the main events. I don't know how far they jump in time per episode but I'm guessing most or all of season 1 is prologue. It's based on the book Fire and Blood but that book is written from the perspective of a historical narrative so there's not a ton of character detail or development in the book. The show writers are working with Martin and filling in the gaps with material.

I don't want to spoil it for you but it's going to be gruesome. You need this background on the characters first otherwise you have no idea why things are as they are.
statefan91
ncsualum05 said:

Steve Williams said:

Stick with it. They are doing a good job filling in the roles. But they are basically giving you a couple decades of background right now leading up to the main events. I don't know how far they jump in time per episode but I'm guessing most or all of season 1 is prologue. It's based on the book Fire and Blood but that book is written from the perspective of a historical narrative so there's not a ton of character detail or development in the book. The show writers are working with Martin and filling in the gaps with material.

I don't want to spoil it for you but it's going to be gruesome. You need this background on the characters first otherwise you have no idea why things are as they are.
Agreed - I think the show's fantastic. Lots of good action stuff coming through.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.