Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

128,532 Views | 1054 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by griff17matt
FlossyDFlynt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FInally got around to seeing Oppenheimer. It was one of Nolan's better movies, which (IMO) is pretty high praise. If you do go see it, I would definitely recommend seeing it in IMAX.
Packchem91
Went to see The Blind this weekend. It is a movie version of the testimony of Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame
It was so well done and written. Not over the top cheese like a lot of religious movies have been
Pretty unvarnished story about him.

Heard it was fully controlled by the family and they did a good job of making the story, and the miracle, seem tangible.
Kudos to him -he's wealthy enough he didn't need whatever $ he makes from this to tell a very unflattering story about himself, but I would think it will reach some people
Packchem91
As for shows - just finished Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix. Two seasons. Quirky, enjoyable, hope they make a season 3
wilmwolf
I enjoyed that one as well, and I do believe I saw that another season was confirmed. I never read the book, but I did watch the movie that came out about ten years ago. Another in a very similar vein is Goliath on Prime with Billy Bob Thornton if you haven't seen it.

I'm just getting around to Band Of Brothers, which I never saw on HBO back in the day, but is on Netflix now. What those WWII guys endured is amazing.

Recently finished Florida Man on Netflix. Fairly low brow show with not much for plot, but it was filmed locally with Carolina Beach standing in for Florida. I always enjoy watching things filmed in my area.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

I enjoyed that one as well, and I do believe I saw that another season was confirmed. I never read the book, but I did watch the movie that came out about ten years ago. Another in a very similar vein is Goliath on Prime with Billy Bob Thornton if you haven't seen it.

I'm just getting around to Band Of Brothers, which I never saw on HBO back in the day, but is on Netflix now. What those WWII guys endured is amazing.

Recently finished Florida Man on Netflix. Fairly low brow show with not much for plot, but it was filmed locally with Carolina Beach standing in for Florida. I always enjoy watching things filmed in my area.

I thought I saw a popup that it was extended, but these streaming shows are so fluid you can never know for sure til they are actually released

And your reference to Goliath is an excellent one. BBT was so good in that.
Packchem91
Went to see Killers of the Flower Moon this afternoon. Had read the book several years ago.
Scorsesee did a masterful job of translating that true series of events into an entertaining, amd sobering, movie
Leo and Deniro are great in scenes together.
Very long - 3 1/2 hours long, but no real lulls.
wolfman18
Just watched Band of Brothers and really enjoyed it as well. A friend of mine said "The Pacific" was pretty decent so I think I'm going to try that next.
statefan91
The Pacific is good but it's hard to hold a candle to Band of Brothers
wilmwolf
Watched The Pacific this weekend. Overall a darker series to me, really showed how awful that campaign was for the troops. Don't think the cast was as strong as BOB. Both series made me miss my grandfather and wish that I could've had some adult conversations with him about the war since he passed when I was 14.
Packchem91
wilmwolf said:

Thanks for the reminder about Band of Brothers. Just watched it thru and was so moved. Those guys went thru a lot together. Crazy how different the world is today then 80 years ago.
The real-life perspective from the 6-7 guys who were part of the BOB just showed you how "committed to service" those guys were
Packchem91
Also watched the first half (4 episodes) of the final season of The Crown.
Dealt completely with the final weeks of Diana's life. These episodes really let the actor playing Prince Charles to shine. He was very good
griff17matt
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

Thanks for the reminder about Band of Brothers. Just watched it thru and was so moved. Those guys went thru a lot together. Crazy how different the world is today then 80 years ago.
The real-life perspective from the 6-7 guys who were part of the BOB just showed you how "committed to service" those guys were

Speaking of Damian Lewis, I started rewatching Homeland today. He is such an underrated actor and Homeland is an underrated show.
Packchem91
griff17matt said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

Speaking of Damian Lewis, I started rewatching Homeland today. He is such an underrated actor and Homeland is an underrated show.

Agreed and agreed
Jtilley
Packchem91 said:

Dealt completely with the final weeks of Diana's life. These episodes really let the actor playing Prince Charles to shine. He was very good
Can you jump in anywhere during this show and be good?

I tried to start from the beginning once but just couldn't get into it. I feel like the later era would be more entertaining though.
Packchem91
Jtilley said:

Packchem91 said:

I tried to start from the beginning once but just couldn't get into it. I feel like the later era would be more entertaining though.

Each covers a different time frame, some decades apart, so yes. The last two seasons are heavily Di/charles related, so may help to watch those two in order

It's funny - I thought the first season was the best, but mainly just because of the historical context with which I was unfamiliar
Jtilley
Packchem91 said:

Jtilley said:

Packchem91 said:

Each covers a different time frame, some decades apart, so yes. The last two seasons are heavily Di/charles related, so may help to watch those two in order

It's funny - I thought the first season was the best, but mainly just because of the historical context with which I was unfamiliar
What I really meant to say is the wide couldn't get into it. I can probably get her into the Di/Charles part of it though.
Packchem91
Jtilley said:

Packchem91 said:

Jtilley said:

Packchem91 said:

What I really meant to say is the wide couldn't get into it. I can probably get her into the Di/Charles part of it though.

Yeah I'd think so. My wife lived the whole show, but particularly when Diana was the focus because she grew up watching the courtship and wedding on TV (as much as you could see of that in the 1980s).
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

I haven't seen BOB in years but I re-watch The Pacific about once a year. I read the books it was based on (With the Old Breed and Helmet for My Pillow) and one of the things I try to remind myself is a lot of these guys had never left home at ALL. If any of us were drafted into service today we'd have an idea of what to expect when we hit the ground. These men, aside from training, had no clue what to expect. Just adds to the bravery shown during that war.

Also on Prime Video- "The Burial" was a pretty good watch. Based on true events and starring Jamie Foxx and Tommy L Jones. Feel-good movie that doesn't curse every other breath so I could actually watch it with the kids around.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

Went to see Killers of the Flower Moon this afternoon. Had read the book several years ago.
Scorsesee did a masterful job of translating that true series of events into an entertaining, amd sobering, movie
I'm waiting for this to hit streaming before I watch...3.5hrs is a long time lol

I read the book a while back to and the fact that a movie is just now being made about this atrocity is crazy.

(sorry for replying to these old comments. I'm bored at work and have no desire to post in the other water cooler threads)
statefan91
Can anyone give a good recommendation / overview of the Yellowstone shows? I don't think I have it in me to do the whole Yellowstone series but maybe I could do the 1883 and whatever the other one is if they're worth watching.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

I haven't seen BOB in years but I re-watch The Pacific about once a year. I read the books it was based on (With the Old Breed and Helmet for My Pillow) and one of the things I try to remind myself is a lot of these guys had never left home at ALL. If any of us were drafted into service today we'd have an idea of what to expect when we hit the ground. These men, aside from training, had no clue what to expect. Just adds to the bravery shown during that war.

Also on Prime Video- "The Burial" was a pretty good watch. Based on true events and starring Jamie Foxx and Tommy L Jones. Feel-good movie that doesn't curse every other breath so I could actually watch it with the kids around.

I'm about halfway thru The Pacific now and can't quite get into it as much. I miss the interviews and I miss Damien Lewis and Donnie Wahlberg. Those two were hooks

To add to your other comment, mix in a world with limited TV (many of these guys had likely never seen one) and no internet, so they'd really have had zero concept of what to expect. I don't think most of us have any appreciation for what taht would have been like. Even when I was young in the 70s, I had a tv and a set of encyclopedia Brittanica to look at different places

OTOH, they hadn't been reared in a plush world like many of us have with creature comforts, etc. So from that perspective, they were much better prepared to handle the hard life and atrocities much better than we would be.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

I'm waiting for this to hit streaming before I watch...3.5hrs is a long time lol

I read the book a while back to and the fact that a movie is just now being made about this atrocity is crazy.

(sorry for replying to these old comments. I'm bored at work and have no desire to post in the other water cooler threads)

Agreed with every point here, though the movie did go by quickly. Many of the scenes played out well on the big screen.

Packchem91
Watched The Holdovers on Amazon.
Such a pleasure to watch smart, well written movies. And the three leads - Paul Giamatti, Da'vinr Joy Randolph and Dominic Sessa have great chemistry.
Classic New England boarding school type setting.
Very funny interactions
griff17matt
Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

I'm about halfway thru The Pacific now and can't quite get into it as much. I miss the interviews and I miss Damien Lewis and Donnie Wahlberg. Those two were hooks

To add to your other comment, mix in a world with limited TV (many of these guys had likely never seen one) and no internet, so they'd really have had zero concept of what to expect. I don't think most of us have any appreciation for what taht would have been like. Even when I was young in the 70s, I had a tv and a set of encyclopedia Brittanica to look at different places

OTOH, they hadn't been reared in a plush world like many of us have with creature comforts, etc. So from that perspective, they were much better prepared to handle the hard life and atrocities much better than we would be.

Agree to much of this. My issue was watching The Pacific with BoB in mind. They are separate and should be viewed as such. I enjoyed it much more on watch 3 than watch 1. More of a disjointed story since it basically tries to weave 3 books into one narrative. Much different than following Easy from beginning to end. I thought Rami Malek was quite enthralling as someone fully into the psychosis of war. I also enjoyed the Sledge storyline more than the Leckie one. Basilone was kind of a throw-away of an amazing man and story, imo.

I view The Pacific less as a story and more as an experience. I'm not sure how much it offers other than come experience the horrors these guys went through that were wildly different than soldiers that served in Europe.
wilmwolf
Watched Three Pines on Prime. Alfred Molina was excellent, Another in the quirky detective genre. Unfortunately didn't get renewed. Fiance and I enjoyed it. I also watched Russian Doll on Netflix, fiance couldn't get into it. It was fairly weird. I though the main character's schtick got a little grating after a while, but I watched through both seasons.
JocoPack
griff17matt said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

Agree to much of this. My issue was watching The Pacific with BoB in mind. They are separate and should be viewed as such. I enjoyed it much more on watch 3 than watch 1. More of a disjointed story since it basically tries to weave 3 books into one narrative. Much different than following Easy from beginning to end. I thought Rami Malek was quite enthralling as someone fully into the psychosis of war. I also enjoyed the Sledge storyline more than the Leckie one. Basilone was kind of a throw-away of an amazing man and story, imo.

I view The Pacific less as a story and more as an experience. I'm not sure how much it offers other than come experience the horrors these guys went through that were wildly different than soldiers that served in Europe.

100% agree on Basilone. Dude was about as much of a hero as you can be during war. My main hang up between BOB and The Pacific is just how different the two enemies were. I feel like the Japanese were a lot more "dgaf" than the Germans/Italians. The poisoning of the water hole with the rotten ram was a stickler for me.
griff17matt
JocoPack said:

griff17matt said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

100% agree on Basilone. Dude was about as much of a hero as you can be during war. My main hang up between BOB and The Pacific is just how different the two enemies were. I feel like the Japanese were a lot more "dgaf" than the Germans/Italians. The poisoning of the water hole with the rotten ram was a stickler for me.
dgaf from your own personal interest in them as an "enemy" or they specifically dgaf about something? I'd assume the former. I tend to agree, though the fighting in the Pacific was far worse and more concentrated in specific days than the European theater. The dregs of 3 months could see random firefights every day in Europe. The Pacific was more like D-Day 20+ different times. I think the storytelling really took the brunt of the disjointedness of the fighting.

It's easier to connect training > D-Day > Carentan > Eindhoven > Bastogne > Foy > Haguenau > Concentration Camp > Eagle's Nest > Home.

The Pacific throws you directly into Guadalcanal > more Guadalcanal > Australia (empty episode) > Pavuvu (another empty episode) > Peleliu > more Peleliu > some more Peleliu > Iwo Jima > Okinawa > Home.

Just don't think it works as well. I think they could have done a better job with the story by not following the books and just doing a live action historical telling of what happened using people provided by literary sources. You missed out on Pearl Harbor, Midway, Philippines, Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf, and Saipan to name a few.
Packchem91
wilmwolf said:

Watched Three Pines on Prime. Alfred Molina was excellent, Another in the quirky detective genre. Unfortunately didn't get renewed. Fiance and I enjoyed it. I also watched Russian Doll on Netflix, fiance couldn't get into it. It was fairly weird. I though the main character's schtick got a little grating after a while, but I watched through both seasons.

Oh we liked Three Pines as well, disappointed to hear it did not get renewed
JocoPack
griff17matt said:

JocoPack said:

griff17matt said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

dgaf from your own personal interest in them as an "enemy" or they specifically dgaf about something? I'd assume the former. I tend to agree, though the fighting in the Pacific was far worse and more concentrated in specific days than the European theater. The dregs of 3 months could see random firefights every day in Europe. The Pacific was more like D-Day 20+ different times. I think the storytelling really took the brunt of the disjointedness of the fighting.

It's easier to connect training > D-Day > Carentan > Eindhoven > Bastogne > Foy > Haguenau > Concentration Camp > Eagle's Nest > Home.

The Pacific throws you directly into Guadalcanal > more Guadalcanal > Australia (empty episode) > Pavuvu (another empty episode) > Peleliu > more Peleliu > some more Peleliu > Iwo Jima > Okinawa > Home.

Just don't think it works as well. I think they could have done a better job with the story by not following the books and just doing a live action historical telling of what happened using people provided by literary sources. You missed out on Pearl Harbor, Midway, Philippines, Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf, and Saipan to name a few.
Agree on The Pacific having much less flow and backstory to the actual campaign. The abundance of Peleliu being directly from the books was something I liked. But like you, I think the show would have been much better had they done a more expanded story that included the precursors of the conflict to make it more whole.
Jtilley
statefan91 said:

Can anyone give a good recommendation / overview of the Yellowstone shows? I don't think I have it in me to do the whole Yellowstone series but maybe I could do the 1883 and whatever the other one is if they're worth watching.
First and second season are really good IMO. After that its kind of the same plot over and over with a bunch of small side plots going on with Zach Bryan/alt country music in the background. "They are trying to take our land! Kill everyone that gets in the way!"

My wife really likes it but they need to wrap it up IMO.

I haven't watched the originals but I would bet they are similar. "We found this land first!".
statefan91
Excellent - thank you!

If anyone out these hasn't checked out the Beckham show on Netflix it was good, 4 part series so don't have to invest too much time.

I just started watching Monarch, the Godzilla show on Apple TV, decent so far and I'll keep watching.

If you like martial arts / gangs / late 1800s and early 1900s period pieces, Warrior is good. It follows a Chinese immigrant who gets pulled into the Chinese gangs of San Francisco. It's on HBO.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

griff17matt said:

JocoPack said:

griff17matt said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

Agree on The Pacific having much less flow and backstory to the actual campaign. The abundance of Peleliu being directly from the books was something I liked. But like you, I think the show would have been much better had they done a more expanded story that included the precursors of the conflict to make it more whole.

I think this is part of what I miss. That said, finished the 4the episode last night and appreciate showing the mental toll some of these guys went thru. As we discussed earlier, difficult to comprehend how much of a impact that would have (coupled with societal norms then that you couldn't admit you were shook)
Packchem91
Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

First and second season are really good IMO. After that its kind of the same plot over and over with a bunch of small side plots going on with Zach Bryan/alt country music in the background. "They are trying to take our land! Kill everyone that gets in the way!"

My wife really likes it but they need to wrap it up IMO.

I haven't watched the originals but I would bet they are similar. "We found this land first!".

lol, this is a really good synopsis. The scenery is always awesome, the soundtrack has always been good. But this last season was a lot of neither.
I like it best when they feature the cowboys, not the family.
But yes, the show needs to wind down, and the two prequels have not helped
Especially 1923 - I thought it would be good, but I was laughing at its stupidity by the last several episodes
statefan91
Looking at it holistically, would you recommend any of it then? Was hoping the prequels would be limited series / one offs.
Jtilley
statefan91 said:

Looking at it holistically, would you recommend any of it then? Was hoping the prequels would be limited series / one offs.
I mean its entertaining, to me it just kind of gets old with new ways of them potentially losing/trying to keep their ranch and very unrealistic with some of the stuff they do as the show goes on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.