Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

128,715 Views | 1054 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by griff17matt
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SexualChocolate said:

If you like Harry Potter, then Wednesday is good for you. Also, good for kids.

I'm not even a Harry Potter fan and I quite enjoyed Wednesday. I liked the Adams Family show as a kid too.
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

If you're a fan of The Godfather then you need to watch The Offer on Apple.

Actually anyone would enjoy it, the cast is excellent.

Thanks for reminder. I'd wanted to see this when first hear about it, but then forgot it.

Finishing The white Lotis and will then jump over to this
You won't be disappointed. How is White Lotus?
It is considered a "dramedy", and that seems appropriate. It's like a lot of shows on streaming -- not for the delicate ears!
It's clearly a social commentary on just how self-absorbed we are these days, and frankly, in S1 at least, all of the primary characters are wholly unlikeable. But, we were entertained. In that way, it was kind of like Succession -- you hate them all so much you want them all to pay the price, but you want to be there watching when they do!
SexualChocolate
Tried searching for a movie topic but got to see Avatar tonight. I thought it was great. Did not feel like 3 hours to me but I went to a theatre that serves beer with reclining chairs so it made it enjoyable. I thought the plot and storyline is great. The digital effects were great also. Let's see if they can make over the 2 bill it cost to make it.

I read a story that Matt Damon turned down a 10% stake to play the part in the first film that Sam Worthington played. He would have made 285 million but he was in post production for one of the Bourne movies.
wilmwolf
New season of Jack Ryan is great.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
We're watching Mytic Quest on Apple. A show about a company that makes gaming software. Pretty funny comedy.
statefan91
barnburner said:

We're watching Mytic Quest on Apple. A show about a company that makes gaming software. Pretty funny comedy.
I have only watched a few episodes but the Shovel episode is one of the funniest things I've seen
jkpackfan
Slow Horses on Apple is another good one, especially for those that are interested in spy type shows/movies.
jkpackfan
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm on episode 4, very good so far.
caryking
jkpackfan said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I'm on episode 4, very good so far.
Just saw that was released. Looking forward to it…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Slow Horses on Apple is another good one, especially for those that are interested in spy type shows/movies.

Gary Oldman is very good in it. Very funny.
Show is well done. S2 is good so far
jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Gary Oldman is very good in it. Very funny.
Show is well done. S2 is good so far
Yeah Oldman is hilarious…Dude is such a good actor
wilmwolf
Oldman is in the running for best actor of our time with a few others. I'm not sure I've ever disliked him in a role.
jadawson
wilmwolf80 said:

Oldman is in the running for best actor of our time with a few others. I'm not sure I've ever disliked him in a role.
Definitely agree. Even if i don't like the movie/show that much he's almost without fail the best part about it.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

Tried searching for a movie topic but got to see Avatar tonight. I thought it was great. Did not feel like 3 hours to me but I went to a theatre that serves beer with reclining chairs so it made it enjoyable. I thought the plot and storyline is great. The digital effects were great also. Let's see if they can make over the 2 bill it cost to make it.

I read a story that Matt Damon turned down a 10% stake to play the part in the first film that Sam Worthington played. He would have made 285 million but he was in post production for one of the Bourne movies.

Saw it last night. Agree with you 100% on the storyline. I didn't go in expecting it, but I think this movie goes into my favorites of all time list.
statefan91
Avatar 2 was great, definitely worth seeing with 3D glasses and recliners and imax
Steve Williams
Staff
Started season 3 of Jack Ryan...really good so far and one of my favorites.
braz213
I've seen season 1 of JacK Ryan. Should I skip season 2 and just go into season 3? I've heard and read that season 2 wasn't very good.
packgrad
Good question. I didn't watch Season 2 either as I did not hear good reviews. Everybody is speaking highly of season 3 though.
caryking
packgrad said:

Good question. I didn't watch Season 2 either as I did not hear good reviews. Everybody is speaking highly of season 3 though.
Go head and watch season 2. I thought it was good, perhaps, not great, but definitely worth watching, considering some of the stuff I have watched…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
braz213 said:

I've seen season 1 of JacK Ryan. Should I skip season 2 and just go into season 3? I've heard and read that season 2 wasn't very good.

From what I've seen if S3 so far, it can stand in its own. There are a few characters that you'd know better if you watch S2, but you'd be ok without it

That said, take the extra time to watch S1 and 2 if you have not. Once you get part Jim Halpert being a bad-a, both were good.
S3 is really good (half way thru). And somewhat timely given world events
wilmwolf
I didn't think season 2 was awful. It might've been better if it was one or two less episodes, it was a little repetitive. I was talking to a friend, and he didn't really like the transition of Ryan from analyst who becomes a reluctant participant, to basically an action hero. I don't really mind it, but it made me think about it and how the character has been portrayed in the past.
Ellesdad
New season of Jack Ryan was awesome. Really enjoyed it.
Packchem91
Ellesdad said:

New season of Jack Ryan was awesome. Really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the first half of it, but I thought the last couple of episodes were predictable and a little "meh". Glad I watched it though.
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

If you're a fan of The Godfather then you need to watch The Offer on Apple.

Actually anyone would enjoy it, the cast is excellent.

Thanks for reminder. I'd wanted to see this when first hear about it, but then forgot it.

Finishing The white Lotis and will then jump over to this
You won't be disappointed. How is White Lotus?

Took a couple week break in middle of White Lotus S2 and just finished last night. Like S1, characters are wholly unlikeable (though that is point of show), but mostly entertaining

Though I will say, if I never have to watch Jennifer Coolidge as Tanya McQuaid again, it will not be a minute too soon. She almost made me turn the show off
FlossyDFlynt
Finished Madoff:The Monster of Wall Street. I think its the second financial documentary that Ive seen that made me just want a drink. Its amazing he was able to get away with it for so long
smitt86
Vikings Valhalla S2 drops today, really excited about it. If you liked The Last Kingdom or Vikings shows, should really check it out.
Steve Williams
Staff
Okay been a while- new season of Jack Ryan was really good. Highly recommend. Watching Vikings Valhalla now. I'd say I like this season better than the first. Really enjoying 1923 and looking forward to its return in February. Started The Last of Us. Just a couple of episodes but probably my favorite series of the year thus far. We'll see how it goes from here.
statefan91
Started Longmire based on this threads recommendations, enjoying so far.
Ellesdad
I couldn't get into Vikings. But I had just finished The Last Kingdom, which I thought was amazing, so it was a tough act to follow.
Packchem91
Ellesdad said:

I couldn't get into Vikings. But I had just finished The Last Kingdom, which I thought was amazing, so it was a tough act to follow.

Haaa, exact same reaction. I've tried with Vikings, and watfch every so often, but it's not grabbed my focus. It seems pretty far below The Last Kingdom
wilmwolf
I gave up on the regular Vikings series, but the two seasons of Valhalla have been really good.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

I gave up on the regular Vikings series, but the two seasons of Valhalla have been really good.

Interesting. If I can't get further into Vikings, I'll follow your suggestion
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

Okay been a while- new season of Jack Ryan was really good. Highly recommend. Watching Vikings Valhalla now. I'd say I like this season better than the first. Really enjoying 1923 and looking forward to its return in February. Started The Last of Us. Just a couple of episodes but probably my favorite series of the year thus far. We'll see how it goes from here.

1923 has started out pretty well.
One of his other shows - Mayor of Kingstown - much grittier than his westerns (and lacks the scenery) is a much better tv show than any of his westerns, though the latter are generally more entertaining
Wufpack17
Steve Williams said:

Loved the new season of Jack Ryan.

It was nearly identical to Sum of All Fears. I am not sure if you picked up on that (rogue Russians take over the government, build a bomb, causes the US and Russia to nearly go to war).

Wufpack17
statefan91 said:

Started Longmire based on this threads recommendations, enjoying so far.
It takes off once Netflix started making the show.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.