Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

125,670 Views | 1044 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by statefan91
dwanna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JocoPack said:

That dude is out there. Heck they all are.
Yeah, at some points I thought "ooo this person is the normal one", and then 10 minutes later you realize that person has a sex cult, or may have killed her husband, etc...
JocoPack
I switched sides like 3 or 4 times watching this. One minute I'd be pulling for Joe, then something else would happen and I'd be siding with Carol until finally the end I just realized they're all crazy.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Colonel Armstrong
Finished watching Tiger King. It's my favorite documentary of all time, just incredible from start to finish.

Carole 10000% killed her ex-husband. No doubt in my mind
Colonel Armstrong
dwanna said:

Tiger King is wild! Were there any "good" people on that show? I stopped believing anyone was telling the truth, but I couldn't look away.
The only likeable characters were the zoo manager and Joe Exotic's campaign manager
CLTWolf
King Leary said:

Finished watching Tiger King. It's my favorite documentary of all time, just incredible from start to finish.

Carole 10000% killed her ex-husband. No doubt in my mind
It's not quite as funny or "likeable" for lack of a better way of putting it but you should watch Don't **** With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer. It's a crazy doc that left me speechless a bunch.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Packchem91
PackBacker07 said:

LOL, just watched this series, and when that scene came on, I stopped it, called my animal-loving daughter in the room and asked her if I was the only one who noticed the tiger was cross-eyed.

What a crazy show. There are some sick people out there (pretty much the whole cast), and then a bunch of rednecks willing to spend their last $$ on seeing a half-breed tiger in a cage up close.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

I switched sides like 3 or 4 times watching this. One minute I'd be pulling for Joe, then something else would happen and I'd be siding with Carol until finally the end I just realized they're all crazy.
Carol was the most despicable of all of them, she just was smarter than the men, and then surrounded herself with someone even smarter via marriage....whereas dumb Joe surrounded himself with meth heads.
Cornpack
There is a new Dave Chappelle show from the night he won the Mark Twain award. A lot of comedy and music. Definitely reccomend.
Retired internet funny guy
Colonel Armstrong
Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Carol was the most despicable of all of them, she just was smarter than the men, and then surrounded herself with someone even smarter via marriage....whereas dumb Joe surrounded himself with meth heads.
She also had so much more money than the rest of them and she used that to her advantage
Packchem91
King Leary said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

She also had so much more money than the rest of them and she used that to her advantage
Great point.
With an unpaid staff!! I fell out of my chair when I heard those workers for her talking about being in the 5th year of an "accelerated volunteer program", lol. People are stupid. I get a summer....but multiple years?

The other thing they showed that the PETA people probably about died over, and reminded me of why USA is susceptible to Corona....Joe just hired any ol' person off the streets, regardless of background. Then those people were taking care of animals (including medically), and then serving food, etc with customers. Holy.....
dwanna
Packchem91 said:

King Leary said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Great point.
With an unpaid staff!! I fell out of my chair when I heard those workers for her talking about being in the 5th year of an "accelerated volunteer program", lol. People are stupid. I get a summer....but multiple years?

The other thing they showed that the PETA people probably about died over, and reminded me of why USA is susceptible to Corona....Joe just hired any ol' person off the streets, regardless of background. Then those people were taking care of animals (including medically), and then serving food, etc with customers. Holy.....

Yeah, one of the potential reasons Joe burned down his own "studio" was to destroy footage of unqualified staff doing work on the animals.

It's hard to tell where Joe's heart was at times... Was he trying to help those people out? (maybe wouldn't have gotten work otherwise) Or was he taking advantage of people that couldn't do better? Maybe both.

If the show displayed anything, it was that things spiraled out of control for pretty much everyone involved.
pblanks
Zerozerozero on Prime is the best new series I have seen in awhile. Hope they make a season 2, but it was based on a book and considered a miniseries.

Think Narcos but movie level production value and acting.

It involves the cocaine supply chain between Mexicans, Americans and Italians.

Very well thought out and made tv.
packgrad
pblanks said:

Zerozerozero on Prime is the best new series I have seen in awhile. Hope they make a season 2, but it was based on a book and considered a miniseries.

Think Narcos but movie level production value and acting.

It involves the cocaine supply chain between Mexicans, Americans and Italians.

Very well thought out and made tv.

Excellent. Will be watching.
jkpackfan
Just finished Luther on Hulu, definitely worth a watch. Has Idris Elba as the lead.
JocoPack
Kind of up in the air on the upcoming series "Upload" on Prime. Headed up by Greg Daniels so it should have some of the comedy I love but the previews I've seen look kinda meh.
fhstatefan43
I just watched the first two seasons of Killing Eve. Loved that show! Does anyone know when Season 3 will come out on Hulu? I heard that it started but hasn't been released on Hulu yet.
statefan91
It's on AMC, doubt it will be on Hulu until the season is over. You can get AMC for like $5/mo or you can buy episodes from Amazon
fhstatefan43
statefan91 said:

It's on AMC, doubt it will be on Hulu until the season is over. You can get AMC for like $5/mo or you can buy episodes from Amazon
Thank you!
Packchem91
fhstatefan43 said:

statefan91 said:

Thank you!
I bet these streaming services (and musicians, for that matter) are desperate to have more new content to fill the pipeline right now....like a Fargo Season 4 which I'd love to see, or other continuation of seasons. And new album releases for bands, etc.

But probably a lot of that was in development still, or mid-shoot, and can't really move forward with all production stopped due to social distancing.
statefan91
HBO has put out a few new things lately and they have a great catalog that's actually streaming for free, I think including The Sopranos.
CLTWolf
statefan91 said:

HBO has put out a few new things lately and they have a great catalog that's actually streaming for free, I think including The Sopranos.
I started the Wire, again, watching it for probably a 4th or 5th time.

I may start the Sopranos again but the Wire is one of my favorites.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Haven't gotten there yet.....I'm putting in my "attention to wife over hanging out with the guys" time right now trying to get thru Downton Abbey But I'll get to that manly stuff soon.

I am about to finish S3 of Ozarks though...and holy mackerel.....crazy. I will say though, for streaming in general....I wish I could have gotten a trademark on the "f" word. I'd be a bazillionare by now. Ozark alone would make a person rich
fhstatefan43
Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Haven't gotten there yet.....I'm putting in my "attention to wife over hanging out with the guys" time right now trying to get thru Downton Abbey But I'll get to that manly stuff soon.

I am about to finish S3 of Ozarks though...and holy mackerel.....crazy. I will say though, for streaming in general....I wish I could have gotten a trademark on the "f" word. I'd be a bazillionare by now. Ozark alone would make a person rich
I agree! The "f" word is being way overused on these shows coming out. My wife and I are watching Little Fires Everywhere and it is really good but as the show has progressed so has the use of the "f" word and it is being used at times that make no sense. It is like hearing someone use curse words and you can tell that it is not a normally part of their vocabulary. Just sounds weird and out of place.
fhstatefan43
statefan91 said:

I wondered why those HBO shows all of a sudden were available. I have started watching Sharp Objects and it has pulled me in quickly. I also watched the first episode of Run. It was ok but I felt weird watching it since the whole premise is about running out on your family.
Packchem91
fhstatefan43 said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

I agree! The "f" word is being way overused on these shows coming out. My wife and I are watching Little Fires Everywhere and it is really good but as the show has progressed so has the use of the "f" word and it is being used at times that make no sense. It is like hearing someone use curse words and you can tell that it is not a normally part of their vocabulary. Just sounds weird and out of place.
Agreed. I've said before I think some of these writers know they've been given free reign from sensors, and they flaunt it.

OTOH, read twitter enough, and that particular word has just become part of the lexicon it seems. I'm not a prude, but I don't get that free use in any situation either.
statefan91
fhstatefan43 said:

statefan91 said:

I wondered why those HBO shows all of a sudden were available. I have started watching Sharp Objects and it has pulled me in quickly. I also watched the first episode of Run. It was ok but I felt weird watching it since the whole premise is about running out on your family.
I like the people in "Run" so I'm going to give it a shot. The end of the first episode where he sees her phone background sort of turned me off though.

Haven't done Sharp Objects but always heard good things. I've honestly been keeping it light with my shows considering all that's going on, mostly rewatching the Office haha.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is on HBO and that's been a good one to pop in and out of for laughs.
JocoPack
Curb is also free on amazon prime right now. I had never seen an episode but am a big Seinfeld fan so I've been loving it
CLTWolf
JocoPack said:

Curb is also free on amazon prime right now. I had never seen an episode but am a big Seinfeld fan so I've been loving it

What season are you on? That show truly gets better as the seasons progress. Just wait until Leon shows up. Lololol
dwanna
2nd the Curb recommendation...

Wife and I started Money Heist on Netflix and I have enjoyed it so far. Spanish show about a plot to "rob" a mint. Nearing the end of the first of 4 seasons.

JocoPack
CLTWolf said:

JocoPack said:

What season are you on? That show truly gets better as the seasons progress. Just wait until Leon shows up. Lololol
I'm only about halfway through season 1. Trying to watch too many shows right now. My dad has been on my to catch up on Better Call Saul so Curb has taken a back seat. That and I'm trying to get caught back up on The Walking Dead now too. Too many dang shows lol
Packchem91
Just finished re-watching all 3 seasons of Ozark, b/c my wife suddenly got interested.
S3, Ep 9 (the one all about Ben) is one of the single best episodes of any show I've ever seen. Should single-handedly win the actor playing Ben the best supporting actor award.
Compelling, emotional, powerful stuff.

That should could sweep best actor, actress, supporting actor and supporting actress.
dwanna
Packchem91 said:

Just finished re-watching all 3 seasons of Ozark, b/c my wife suddenly got interested.
S3, Ep 9 (the one all about Ben) is one of the single best episodes of any show I've ever seen. Should single-handedly win the actor playing Ben the best supporting actor award.
Compelling, emotional, powerful stuff.

That should could sweep best actor, actress, supporting actor and supporting actress.
Really felt for Ben in the last part of season 3. His mental health aside, I'm not sure how any person would react in that situation. Ruthie is probably my favorite character. Some great acting / storytelling all around. Ozark is probably in my top 3 of "current" TV shows.
Packchem91
Several shows that have watched with wife, since there have still been limited sports:

The Morning Show (apple tv) -- very entertaining drama around the set of exactly what it sounds like, tied to the sexual assault backstory. Great cast with Jennifer Anniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carrell.....but the two most entertaining characters are the producer (Mark Duplass) and the news president (Billy Crudup). And I'm a big Reese Witherspoon fan.

Defending Jacob (apple tv) -- Based on the book by same name. Just a miniseries. I didn't like it as much as the book, and found all 3 characters (the kid, the mom -- Michelle Dockery from Downton Abbey, the dad -- Chris Evans) to be wholly unlikeable people, though the storyline was entertaining.

Handmaids Tale (hulu) -- two seasons in....it is at the same time, difficult to watch and mesmerizing. Elizabeth Moss is outstanding and is in pretty much 90% of the scenes. The Serena Joy character has to go down as one of the most hateable female characters of all time. She's up there with Darlene Snell from Ozark as someone you find yourself wanting to personally kill off.
statefan91
Good idea to refresh this

Zero Zero Zero (Amazon) - solid drug cartel series across three locations in Mexico, Italy, and US. Stories all intertwine

The Great (Hulu) - A take on Catherine the Great of Russia with lots of liberties, but really funny and crude.

Perry Mason (HBO Max) - Pretty solid mystery / detective show so far. Has the lead from The Americans as Perry Mason, also John Lithgow
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Good idea to refresh this

Zero Zero Zero (Amazon) - solid drug cartel series across three locations in Mexico, Italy, and US. Stories all intertwine

The Great (Hulu) - A take on Catherine the Great of Russia with lots of liberties, but really funny and crude.

Perry Mason (HBO Max) - Pretty solid mystery / detective show so far. Has the lead from The Americans as Perry Mason, also John Lithgow
Yeah, we needed something more positive to talk about than corona and the racial unrest.

I'm interested in the Perry Mason show. Looks good on the previews. I like Matthew Rhys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.