Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,856 Views | 1053 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by dogplasma
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
burnbarn said:

caryking said:

burnbarn said:

another vote for Click Bait.. the Mrs did not want to watch now it.. now she wants to binge it.

I've got the last episode to watch! It's pretty good…

Didn't see that one coming
I kind of thought the show did what The Undoing (HBO, Nicole Kidman) and even to an extent Mare of Easttown did -- tried to be too tricky in the end, with one gotcha you never saw coming.

But i did like how each episode had a viewpoint from a different character.
FlossyDFlynt
Finally watched the Chapelle special. Not my favorite set hes ever done (I dont think he can ever top Killin Them Softly) but was still hysterical. People need to lighten up and realize its a comedy show
jadawson
FlossyDFlynt said:

Finally watched the Chapelle special. Not my favorite set hes ever done (I dont think he can ever top Killin Them Softly) but was still hysterical. People need to lighten up and realize its a comedy show

Killin them softly is top 5 comedy specials of all time IMO. Watched/listened to it 20+ times and still laugh hard
Ellesdad
Highly recommend Succession.
packgrad
Just started that yesterday. Heard some comedians on a podcast raving about it. One episode in.
Packchem91
Ellesdad said:

Been looking forward to it coming out. Heard the first episode was awesome. Such a good cast, though I really don't like the role of Tom W.
Packchem91
Started 2nd season of The Morning Show. Several episodes in, it proved that there is now a written rule that every show must have a LBQxxxx role....this one involves the main character of Reese Witherspoon and Juliana Marguiles.

Now...getting past the fact that thats 2 hot women messing around, its such a tiring, predictable thing that this is a required part of shows.
jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

Ellesdad said:

Been looking forward to it coming out. Heard the first episode was awesome. Such a good cast, though I really don't like the role of Tom W.
This show is great, Kieran Culkin trips me out.
hokiewolf
If you have HBO Max, Joe Pera Talks To You is on there. It's extremely funny
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

Started 2nd season of The Morning Show. Several episodes in, it proved that there is now a written rule that every show must have a LBQxxxx role....this one involves the main character of Reese Witherspoon and Juliana Marguiles.

Now...getting past the fact that thats 2 hot women messing around, its such a tiring, predictable thing that this is a required part of shows.
If you went strictly off of TV shows and commercials you'd think 1/3 of the country was LGBT

Started going back through The Sopranos last night. Man I could watch this show every night.
IseWolf22
Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime is dropping 2 weeks from tomorrow. Amazon is selling it as the next Game of Thrones.

I grew up with the Wheel of Time book series and love it. So this series will either be awesome or I'm gonna absolutely hate it
statefan91
IseWolf22 said:

Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime is dropping 2 weeks from tomorrow. Amazon is selling it as the next Game of Thrones.

I grew up with the Wheel of Time book series and love it. So this series will either be awesome or I'm gonna absolutely hate it
What do you like about the series? I tried to start with the first book via audio book but couldn't get into it, otherwise I'm definitely a consumer of the epic fantasy shows / genre.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

IseWolf22 said:

What do you like about the series? I tried to start with the first book via audio book but couldn't get into it, otherwise I'm definitely a consumer of the epic fantasy shows / genre.
First book is slow (so is 8 & 9). I picked it up twice as a teen and didn't finish. Then on the 3rd try I pushed through and was hooked after the ending.

In my opinion, it's the best "World building" of any epic fantasy I've read. It's really rich on detail and you know the main characters intimately by the end. Each country has it's own cultures and political dynamics. The magic system is rational, and the monsters and villain's are unique.

A lot of what I just said is going to be hard to translate to a big screen, so I'm not sure how well they will do it. Gender differences are also very important in the book series since men and women use different sources of magic and they don't behave the same way. I'm going to be interested to see if they lean into that or make changes.
barnburner
Started watching Atlanta in anticipation of season 3 coming out.. pretty interesting show.
JocoPack
Has anyone here seen Dune? What did you think?

Never read the books or anything but I am a big Star Wars fan and it looks similar
statefan91
JocoPack said:

Never read the books or anything but I am a big Star Wars fan and it looks similar
It's amazing, but you need to know what you're going into. The movie covers the first half of the first book. It is world building but you will not leave the theater satisfied at a conclusion because it feels like it's just getting started when credits roll. I loved it, but you have to have a right expectations.
JocoPack
statefan91 said:

JocoPack said:

It's amazing, but you need to know what you're going into. The movie covers the first half of the first book. It is world building but you will not leave the theater satisfied at a conclusion because it feels like it's just getting started when credits roll. I loved it, but you have to have a right expectations.
Oh wow ok. Would you recommend reading the book first?
statefan91
Well, they've greenlit the 2nd movie so it will come out but not for a couple years. If you like this type of stuff it's a good read / listen. I would recommend.
jadawson
JocoPack said:

statefan91 said:

JocoPack said:

Oh wow ok. Would you recommend reading the book first?

I have not read the book and i did enjoy the film overall but didnt find it to be perfect by any stretch. As statefan91 pointed out, you definitely need to understand it is a part one of a larger story. Character's storylines are not resolved in this and the film ends right after a big plot moment happens that leaves you wanting to know and see more. I did find it a bit lacking in explanation into the politics of everything going on considering it seems to play such an important role in the plot. There were also several characters that lacked depth to me, which feels odd with a 150 minute film. Thinking of one or two in particular (dont want to give anything away) where i asked what the point of them was to the story etc., and my brother (who has read all the books but not yet seen the film) gushed on about their background and relationship to other characters but i didnt see any of that in the film, at least not very explicitly.

On the positive, it is a beautiful looking film. Well worth a cinema trip in my opinion if just for the sound system, but also for the wide screen to aid with the epic feel of the story and the shots of the desert. Lots of cool sci fi concepts sprinkled in that aren't included to be oogled at, but just feel natural within the world. Every main character is very well acted and there are lots of cool sequences and smaller moments. Rebecca Ferguson and Timothee Chalamet in particular are two very important characters and had me fixed on their every move while they were on screen.
JocoPack
Thanks for the info....I'm definitely going to see it in cinema. It looks beautiful.
jkpackfan
JocoPack said:

Some of the best cinematography I've seen. I loved it
braz213
How many Dune movies are there going to be? I know at least two. I enjoyed it.
jadawson
braz213 said:

How many Dune movies are there going to be? I know at least two. I enjoyed it.
2 guaranteed. The Director has mentioned he has his eye on 2 books to adapt, with the first (and most famous) being the one adapted now and split into 2. So if he gets the green light for the other book that would be at least 3 movies already thought about at some level.
statefan91
Saw Eternals last night. I enjoyed it, it's not as exciting as some of the more recent Marvel movies but it was still enjoyable. Big cast was hard to integrate well but they did a relatively good job. Excited for the future movies coming out.
Steve Williams
Staff
Watching Godless on Netflix...stars Jeff Daniels. About five episodes in and would definitely recommend.
JocoPack
Watched the first episode of True Story last night with Kevin Hart and Wesley Snipes. I thought it was pretty damn good.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
statefan91
IseWolf22 said:

First couple episodes were a little rough with bad CGI, surprising considering the budget.

Latest episode was good with some new questions popping up.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

IseWolf22 said:

First couple episodes were a little rough with bad CGI, surprising considering the budget.

I'm definitely of mixed opinions so far. It's not wowing me.

They aren't doing a great job laying down backstory and world building without a bunch of exposition. I'm not sure how easy this is to follow for someone who is not already familiar with the story.
statefan91
I am unfamiliar with it so am picking up on some things like the different colors have different roles, no idea who the folks in white are (religious maybe?), not sure what a Wisdom is vs. Aes Sedai (sp??)
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

I am unfamiliar with it so am picking up on some things like the different colors have different roles, no idea who the folks in white are (religious maybe?), not sure what a Wisdom is vs. Aes Sedai (sp??)
Aes Sedai are a formal organization, with their own city. They are highly structured, with multiple levels of training that culminate in becoming a full Aes Sedai, who is a member of one of the seven factions, all denoted by color. Aes Sedai have years of training and know how to use magic when and how they want

A Wisdom is just the local Wise woman or healer in a particular village or town. In the books they are only called "Wisdom" in that country, but most nations have the same thing with another word. Wisdom's often are regular people and don't know any magic, just herbs and stuff. Some are capable of magic, but they've had no formal training and don't really know what they are doing or why. Nynaeve does not know that "Listening to the wind" is the same magic as Aes Sedai, and while she notices that her herbs tend to work really, really well, she doesn't understand that she's actually using healing magic (until this last episode that is).

Long winded, I know. The magic system works well in the books because it's very deep and complex with a lot of rules. They are glossing over a lot of it so far.
statefan91
Perfect - that's super helpful. I had picked that up on the Aes Sedai but not on the Wisdom and the hair braid and all of that. It sounds like they have referenced that Egweine is powerful and then Mat looked like he was possessed in the farm house.

Really wish they would do a better job on the CGI for the trollocs and the dark / evil guy. Those are my biggest complaints besides trying to figure out the story.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

Perfect - that's super helpful. I had picked that up on the Aes Sedai but not on the Wisdom and the hair braid and all of that. It sounds like they have referenced that Egweine is powerful and then Mat looked like he was possessed in the farm house.

Really wish they would do a better job on the CGI for the trollocs and the dark / evil guy. Those are my biggest complaints besides trying to figure out the story.
The braid is just what that region does to symbolize a girl becoming a woman.

Mat may be the best character they've done so far (other than changing his dad into a degenerate). I'm hopeful they will continue his story line well.

I'm mixed on the trollocs. They are supposed to look unnatural, like some mad scientist Frankensteined a bunch of animals together. Some scenes have definitely looked worst than others. Evil guy is currently only in their dreams.... I'm hoping he looks a bit different when encountered later...
jadawson
IseWolf22 said:

statefan91 said:

IseWolf22 said:

I'm definitely of mixed opinions so far. It's not wowing me.

They aren't doing a great job laying down backstory and world building without a bunch of exposition. I'm not sure how easy this is to follow for someone who is not already familiar with the story.
you nailed the worst part of the show. The acting has all been fine, the effects of the magic look really cool IMO. But the dialogue is so damn exposition laden at times it kills the flow of the show. Makes you understand why people thought this was unfilmable. You always want to Show and not tell, but if the average viewer can't easily pick up on the visual cues then you have to resort to exposition which stinks.
RunsWithWolves26
Me and the wife just signed up for Hulu for .99 a month for th next 12 months. Y'all give me some good series suggestions. Thanks in advance.
jkpackfan
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Me and the wife just signed up for Hulu for .99 a month for th next 12 months. Y'all give me some good series suggestions. Thanks in advance.
If you're into it, Wu Tang An American Saga is really good. The wifey might not like though lol.

Here are some others if you haven't watched

Sons of Anarchy
Mayans
The Shield
Luther

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.