Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

128,766 Views | 1054 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by griff17matt
Jtilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

Can anyone give a good recommendation / overview of the Yellowstone shows? I don't think I have it in me to do the whole Yellowstone series but maybe I could do the 1883 and whatever the other one is if they're worth watching.
First and second season are really good IMO. After that its kind of the same plot over and over with a bunch of small side plots going on with Zach Bryan/alt country music in the background. "They are trying to take our land! Kill everyone that gets in the way!"

My wife really likes it but they need to wrap it up IMO.

I haven't watched the originals but I would bet they are similar. "We found this land first!".

lol, this is a really good synopsis. The scenery is always awesome, the soundtrack has always been good. But this last season was a lot of neither.
I like it best when they feature the cowboys, not the family.
But yes, the show needs to wind down, and the two prequels have not helped
Especially 1923 - I thought it would be good, but I was laughing at its stupidity by the last several episodes
Paramount is really trying to hit while the iron is hot.

Lol all of a sudden that dude came out with like 10 new series for them.

I will say his movies are really good. Wind River, Hell or High Water and Sicario are hard to beat.
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

Went to see Killers of the Flower Moon this afternoon. Had read the book several years ago.
Scorsesee did a masterful job of translating that true series of events into an entertaining, amd sobering, movie
Leo and Deniro are great in scenes together.
Very long - 3 1/2 hours long, but no real lulls.
I'm waiting for this to hit streaming before I watch...3.5hrs is a long time lol

I read the book a while back to and the fact that a movie is just now being made about this atrocity is crazy.

(sorry for replying to these old comments. I'm bored at work and have no desire to post in the other water cooler threads)

Agreed with every point here, though the movie did go by quickly. Many of the scenes played out well on the big screen.

Ok. Finally got around to watching this today. Holy cow. It's been a while since I read the book but I believe the movie captured about as much as it could have. My ONLY gripe is I felt like for viewers who haven't read the book, they could have hidden the main antagonist more and created a more dramatic plot twist. I had my suspicions on who it was while reading the book but if IIRC it was set up to be a little more dramatic towards the end. I think that would have played out nicely on the big screen. Either way, major props to the movie. Leo did a phenomenal job as Ernest.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Sierrawolf
New season of Reacher on Amazon. Wife and I really enjoyed Season 1
packgrad
Gran Turismo

Loved it.
JocoPack
packgrad said:

Gran Turiismo

Loved it.

Been wanting to check this out. Great story.
Sierrawolf
packgrad said:

Gran Turismo

Loved it.

Watched that today and it exceeded my low expectations
Packchem91
Three movies so far over the holidays

The Iron Claw. Grew up as a wrestling fan in Charlotte in the 70s and 80s, but didn't know the von Erichs, but man, what a tragic family. Also, the dad sucked as a human

Sounds of Freedom. I'm not sure why there was any controversy about this. We all know human trafficking is one of the biggest issues we face today, if some of it was self-serving for a guy who likes QAnon, so what?
Also, some people suck.

The Color of Purple. Very well done. Moving and entertaining, amd some really strong performances. Like the other two, some people suck, but the forgiveness and grace portrayed by some of the female characters here was better than many of us could do. I knew Taraji would shine but Fantasia was very good as well
JocoPack
Has anyone here watched Rebel Moon yet? I've been reading about it some and would have liked it as Zack Snyder's original intention-a more adult themed Star Wars entry-but haven't seen many reviews from normal folk. Will probably give it a view this weekend at some point.
Sierrawolf
JocoPack said:

Has anyone here watched Rebel Moon yet? I've been reading about it some and would have liked it as Zack Snyder's original intention-a more adult themed Star Wars entry-but haven't seen many reviews from normal folk. Will probably give it a view this weekend at some point.

Just watched it today. It was enjoyable with some unique stuff but fairly predictable plot line.
wilmwolf
Watched Asteroid City this evening, and it might be the worst movie I've ever seen. I really tried to dig it, because I like so many of the people in it, but it was just awful.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JocoPack
Finally got around to watching "BlackBerry" today. Really enjoyed it, as a former Crackberry user myself. Loved that damn keyboard. Haven't done much research after viewing the movie but as a former member of crackberry.com best I can remember it's pretty damn accurate. Glenn Howerton did an amazing job IMO. I am a big Always Sunny fan and his ability to switch emotions is displayed greatly in this movie. Anyone who's ever been interested in the downfall of the BlackBerry should like this movie. I rented it on Amazon but I think if you have an AMC+ sub it's free.
Slobbering_Wolf
Packchem91 said:

The Iron Claw. Grew up as a wrestling fan in Charlotte in the 70s and 80s, but didn't know the von Erichs, but man, what a tragic family. Also, the dad sucked as a human

Sounds of Freedom. I'm not sure why there was any controversy about this. We all know human trafficking is one of the biggest issues we face today, if some of it was self-serving for a guy who likes QAnon, so what?
Also, some people suck.

The Color of Purple. Very well done. Moving and entertaining, amd some really strong performances. Like the other two, some people suck, but the forgiveness and grace portrayed by some of the female characters here was better than many of us could do. I knew Taraji would shine but Fantasia was very good as well

So the Iron Claw is worth watching? Is that only on in theaters or can you stream this?
Don't give up, don't ever give up-Jimmy V
Twitter: @jrouse84
Packchem91
Slobbering_Wolf said:

Packchem91 said:

Also, some people suck.

So the Iron Claw is worth watching? Is that only on in theaters or can you stream this?

I thought it was worth going to the movies, yes. It is still on in the theaters, at least as of last night. I would not be shocked if it is already (or very soon to be) on Amazon Prime though

I'm a big screen guy though, so much prefer seeing them there if i can
statefan91
Anyone watching Slow Horses on Apple TV? It's a spy show from the UK, Gary Oldman is the lead and it's pretty funny / entertaining while having good spy / intelligence elements.
Jtilley
JocoPack said:

Finally got around to watching "BlackBerry" today. Really enjoyed it, as a former Crackberry user myself. Loved that damn keyboard. Haven't done much research after viewing the movie but as a former member of crackberry.com best I can remember it's pretty damn accurate. Glenn Howerton did an amazing job IMO. I am a big Always Sunny fan and his ability to switch emotions is displayed greatly in this movie. Anyone who's ever been interested in the downfall of the BlackBerry should like this movie. I rented it on Amazon but I think if you have an AMC+ sub it's free.
Glenn Howerton was amazing in this, if he doesn't win any awards I will be shocked.
JocoPack
Jtilley said:

JocoPack said:

Glenn Howerton was amazing in this, if he doesn't win any awards I will be shocked.

Me too. Absolute great performance
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

I enjoyed that one as well, and I do believe I saw that another season was confirmed. I never read the book, but I did watch the movie that came out about ten years ago. Another in a very similar vein is Goliath on Prime with Billy Bob Thornton if you haven't seen it.

I'm just getting around to Band Of Brothers, which I never saw on HBO back in the day, but is on Netflix now. What those WWII guys endured is amazing.

Recently finished Florida Man on Netflix. Fairly low brow show with not much for plot, but it was filmed locally with Carolina Beach standing in for Florida. I always enjoy watching things filmed in my area.

Thanks for the reminder about Band of Brothers. Just watched it thru and was so moved. Those guys went thru a lot together. Crazy how different the world is today then 80 years ago.
The real-life perspective from the 6-7 guys who were part of the BOB just showed you how "committed to service" those guys were
I haven't seen BOB in years but I re-watch The Pacific about once a year. I read the books it was based on (With the Old Breed and Helmet for My Pillow) and one of the things I try to remind myself is a lot of these guys had never left home at ALL. If any of us were drafted into service today we'd have an idea of what to expect when we hit the ground. These men, aside from training, had no clue what to expect. Just adds to the bravery shown during that war.

Also on Prime Video- "The Burial" was a pretty good watch. Based on true events and starring Jamie Foxx and Tommy L Jones. Feel-good movie that doesn't curse every other breath so I could actually watch it with the kids around.

Finally watched all of The Pacific. Took me a while to get into it, but after 3-4 episodes, it was really good
I appreciate how it really focused on the psychological impact on these guys (and in the last episode, on their families).
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf said:

I enjoyed that one as well, and I do believe I saw that another season was confirmed. I never read the book, but I did watch the movie that came out about ten years ago. Another in a very similar vein is Goliath on Prime with Billy Bob Thornton if you haven't seen it.

I'm just getting around to Band Of Brothers, which I never saw on HBO back in the day, but is on Netflix now. What those WWII guys endured is amazing.

Recently finished Florida Man on Netflix. Fairly low brow show with not much for plot, but it was filmed locally with Carolina Beach standing in for Florida. I always enjoy watching things filmed in my area.

Thanks for the reminder about Band of Brothers. Just watched it thru and was so moved. Those guys went thru a lot together. Crazy how different the world is today then 80 years ago.
The real-life perspective from the 6-7 guys who were part of the BOB just showed you how "committed to service" those guys were
I haven't seen BOB in years but I re-watch The Pacific about once a year. I read the books it was based on (With the Old Breed and Helmet for My Pillow) and one of the things I try to remind myself is a lot of these guys had never left home at ALL. If any of us were drafted into service today we'd have an idea of what to expect when we hit the ground. These men, aside from training, had no clue what to expect. Just adds to the bravery shown during that war.

Also on Prime Video- "The Burial" was a pretty good watch. Based on true events and starring Jamie Foxx and Tommy L Jones. Feel-good movie that doesn't curse every other breath so I could actually watch it with the kids around.

Finally watched all of The Pacific. Took me a while to get into it, but after 3-4 episodes, it was really good
I appreciate how it really focused on the psychological impact on these guys (and in the last episode, on their families).

I've still got it queued up for a rewatch but haven't gotten around to it. Another miniseries that I started when it was coming out was Generation Kill. Sort of a GWOT version of BoB and Pacific. I only watched a couple of episodes but have added it to my queue as well.
Jtilley
Couple movies I have watched over the break:

The Prestige- I had never seen this but one of the better films I have watched in a while and the ending was wild.

Barbie- I have watched this probably 10 times now with two toddler girls at home. Actually enjoyed it the first time, not so much here lately.

Good Time- Worth a watch, same guys that did Uncut Gems but not on that level.

The Holdovers- Thought it was really good, Paul Giamatti is great in this.

Everything Everywhere All at Once- Entertaining but I don't get all the hype or awards.
packgrad
I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once. It was weird AF, but I really enjoyed it. I had to cut Barbie off after 20 minutes or so. It was terrible. Perhaps I'll give it another try and see if it picks up.
Jtilley
packgrad said:

I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once. It was weird AF, but I really enjoyed it. I had to cut Barbie off after 20 minutes or so. It was terrible. Perhaps I'll give it another try and see if it picks up.
I enjoyed EEAAO and thought it was worth watching, I guess I just didn't get why it won every award possible.

I can see not getting into Barbie and the first 20 minutes is basically all music. You need to try and watch it until they come back to Barbie land though, and that is all I will say so I don't spoil it but its funny.
packgrad
Will do. Thanks for the tip.
statefan91
saw Boys In The Boat and thought it was good, not much of a surprise but still a nice feel good movie

Also watched Still, Michael J Fox documentary on his life and obviously Parkinson's. Really enjoyed that.
JocoPack
Jtilley said:

packgrad said:

I enjoyed EEAAO and thought it was worth watching, I guess I just didn't get why it won every award possible.

I can see not getting into Barbie and the first 20 minutes is basically all music. You need to try and watch it until they come back to Barbie land though, and that is all I will say so I don't spoil it but its funny.

Speaking of an off the wall movie winning an award….i finally broke down and watched Parasite a few months ago. The cover art for the movie made me think it was some horror movie or something but it was actually extremely enjoyable.
Jtilley
JocoPack said:

Jtilley said:

packgrad said:

Speaking of an off the wall movie winning an award….i finally broke down and watched Parasite a few months ago. The cover art for the movie made me think it was some horror movie or something but it was actually extremely enjoyable.

That's a good film, my wife is half Korean and my mother in law made us watch it right when it came out lol.

Since the academy went woke a couple years ago saying you had to have someone of color be a lead role in order to be considered for best picture it has diminished that award IMO. Some films wouldn't even be in contention 10 years ago, much less win.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Jtilley said:

packgrad said:

Parasite was awesome.
Packchem91
Just stumbled across one of my favorite shows of the 90's, finally came out on streaming - Northern Exposure.

Show made me want to travel to small town Alaska.
wilmwolf
Not a new series, but happened on to The Night Manager on prime. Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, d Olivia Coleman are all actors I really like, and I thought it was really good. Only six episodes.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
Anyone watching the new season of True Detective - more on the spooky / supernatural side with this one.
Jtilley
statefan91 said:

Anyone watching the new season of True Detective - more on the spooky / supernatural side with this one.
I have been watching it. I go from thinking its good to thinking they are just trying to rip off season 1 but with female cast.
statefan91
Yeah I don't think it's nearly as good as Season 1, but I'm enjoying it. I also couldn't imagine living somewhere like that where it's dark for months at a time.
caryking
Ok, my wife and I watched "the rise and fall of the house of usher"…

I'm not sure we liked it…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
octdregs
Netflix series FUBAR with Arnold Schwarzenegger written by Nick Santora (Jack Reacher). Really fun, smart and entertaining spy-action show. It's got shades of True Lies mixed with Knight & Day.

Not going to win any industry awards, but man the episodes go fast.
*be the person your dog thinks you are*
Jtilley
statefan91 said:

Yeah I don't think it's nearly as good as Season 1, but I'm enjoying it. I also couldn't imagine living somewhere like that where it's dark for months at a time.
I ended up not being impressed with this season. WAYYYY too many plot lines not tied up and writing seemed jumble at times. The cave entrance being 100 yards from the station? Come on.

First three episodes were good but went downhill after that IMO. I read it was meant to be its own show but then HBO decided to make it a TD season.
Steve Williams
Staff
Jtilley said:

statefan91 said:

I have been watching it. I go from thinking its good to thinking they are just trying to rip off season 1 but with female cast.
To each his own but we finished this last night and I thought it was awful. Actually went back and watched season 1 and that very well may be my favorite series of all time. This one was a hot mess.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.