Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

155,300 Views | 1058 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by vannjamin
barnburner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have just started watching Sex Education on Netflix. First two episodes are funny. Jillian Anderson plays a sex therapist and her son starts doing sex therapy with all the high school kids. Pretty funny show.
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

Packchem91 said:

Finally finished Bosch. Took a long time and worked around other series....but Bosch was very good. Top notch as far as police shows go.

The final S7 seemed a bit rushed (it was 2 episodes shorter than previous 6 seasons)...and I wonder if Covid had an impact on that forcing them to wrap up production earlier than maybe originally planned.
Either way, still a good ending and true to the character.
I agree. One of my favorite series. The only thing I didn't particularly care for as how they made the chief out to be a bad guy in the final season. But still, a great series.

Started the new Vikings series on Netflix and it's been very, very good. Right on par with the previous Vikings series. Looking forward to the new series of The Last Kingdom and Reacher.
And see...i kinda thought it showed how whether in politics or business or policing, people who get to the top often have to make compromises, even ethically....while a guy like Bosch was happy to do what he did at the level he was, but never forfeit his ethos.

And agree -- I really want to go back and watch The Last Kingdom and Viking series -- my wife is not into them at all so I've put them off, but seems time to do so
Packchem91
packgrad said:

jadawson said:

packgrad said:

jadawson said:

Watched CODA last night, nominated for an oscar for best picture. It may not be for everyone but if you have family or just know anyone who is deaf its gonna resonate pretty strongly with you and in my opinion its gonna work emotionally for anyone who has children whether they know anyone deaf or not.

Edit: Forgot to mention its on Apple TV + so if you have any time left after binging ted lasso or the morning show its worth a watch

I don't know anyone deaf nor have children. Thought it was wonderful. Great movie.
Glad to hear it! I still have to see Belfast and Drive my Car but i think its my favorite of the Best Picture nominees this year.

Was watching today with my wife and in laws and I had one of those pre cry gasps during one of the scenes. Quickly regrouped and got my **** together (played it off with a cough) as I did not want to do that in front of them. Plan to watch again to give it what it deserves. I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in some time.

Edit to add… the emotion is because of touching/moving scenes, not because an overly sad movie. Wanted to mention that so people don't think it's a sad movie. It is not at all. It's actually a very funny movie.
Thanks to the suggestions here, I watched CODA tonight with my wife. The scene at the musical, where hte director puts it in silent mode while the daughter sings....and you see the Dad, who can't hear a lick, so he's watching the other people to see how they react -- that was as fine of a "tear jerker" scene as you'll see.

Such a well-done movie.
Cthepack
Starting today to watch season 4 of Drive to Survive.
smitt86
Vikings Valhala was really, really good, much better than the last season of the original Vikings show(hated how the last season went compared to the rest of the series) and can't wait for a 2nd season.

Started up 5th season of The Last Kingdom, still such a great show, curious to see how the season goes.
CLTWolf
Packchem91 said:

Finally finished Bosch. Took a long time and worked around other series....but Bosch was very good. Top notch as far as police shows go.

The final S7 seemed a bit rushed (it was 2 episodes shorter than previous 6 seasons)...and I wonder if Covid had an impact on that forcing them to wrap up production earlier than maybe originally planned.

https://ew.com/tv/bosch-legacy-first-trailer-release-date/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=622a3ca5be91c90001bebe2d&fbclid=IwAR0URe3sat1XHzS4f19bjj_cDIuCWbmeEu61ijTKGyTRqsZwRq0vr6oI96Y

Coming in May.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Packchem91
CLTWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

https://ew.com/tv/bosch-legacy-first-trailer-release-date/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=622a3ca5be91c90001bebe2d&fbclid=IwAR0URe3sat1XHzS4f19bjj_cDIuCWbmeEu61ijTKGyTRqsZwRq0vr6oI96Y

Coming in May.

Yeah I'd heard mention there may be a follow on show, but thanks for the link to the teaser. His daughter kinda got on my nerves, so that is likely to get worse, but will be tuned in for sure
WolfQuacker
Apple TV - The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. So far, fantastic. Samuel L is AMAZING in this. I'm hooked... hope it stays as good as the first 3 episodes!
Packchem91
WolfQuacker said:

Apple TV - The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. So far, fantastic. Samuel L is AMAZING in this. I'm hooked... hope it stays as good as the first 3 episodes!
Good to know....i saw the trailer, wasn't sure if it was a "Jump the Samuel L Jackson Shark" type show or not. I'll have to give it a view
statefan91
Finally started The Last Kingdom and have enjoyed the first season so far.
wilmwolf
Wrapped up the new season of Last Kingdom this weekend. Thought it went pretty well. I see that they are going to be making a feature length movie for Netflix it looks like, so that will be interesting to see.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
caryking
I didn't finish Donavon as my wife lost interest after the wife died off. I did watch the movie. I thought it tied everything together and was well done…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
FlossyDFlynt
Cthepack said:

Starting today to watch season 4 of Drive to Survive.
Finished it this week. Was pretty well done. Not as much made up storylines as the last few seasons, but still showed the season in a mostly true light
Packchem91
WolfQuacker said:

Watched first couple of episodes -- very good. Samuel L is such a typecast guy, that at times you have to convince yourself he's not just hamming it up. But he's been good.
WolfQuacker
Anyone watch Invasion on Apple? I'm not a SciFi guy, but it was well enough done that I stuck through a season. I give it a B-, but I barely even like Star Wars.
statefan91
Started Season 2 of The Last Kingdom, just glad there's so many seasons worth available that I can binge it when I have time to watch.
Steve Williams
Staff
statefan91 said:

Started Season 2 of The Last Kingdom, just glad there's so many seasons worth available that I can binge it when I have time to watch.
Ive got the last episode of the final season tonight. It's been a helluva series.
wulfenstein
Can't wait to see the final season of Better Call Saul. Here's the trailer.

smitt86
Steve Williams said:

statefan91 said:

Ive got the last episode of the final season tonight. It's been a helluva series.
Loved the last episode. I'm likely going to re-watch the whole series before the movie comes out(probably in 2023).
wilmwolf
I enjoyed Vikings Valhalla. I never watched the original series, so no point of reference there, but the new series was entertaining.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
JocoPack
I've got to go back and get refreshed on that show. Many aspects of it are better than BB in my opinion. Goodman is a helluva character.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
jkpackfan
Steve Williams said:

statefan91 said:

So other than the movie the series is over? Bummer if so
smitt86
jkpackfan said:

Steve Williams said:

statefan91 said:

So other than the movie the series is over? Bummer if so
Yep, that was the final episode of the series and just the movie to go. Debated trying to get into the books but might just re-watch the series instead, haha.
jkpackfan
Yeah I've thought about rewatching the whole thing, such a good show
Bas2020
Randomly started watching "Top Boy". Pretty good , not as good as the Wire but same vibe .
wulfenstein
Another trailer from my trailer.

April is looking promising...
WolfQuacker
If y'all aren't watching Severance, you are missing out!! Just weird enough, but not too weird. And, super complex to the point that a single line of dialogue might come back into context an episode of 4 later that puts another piece in the jigsaw puzzle. Great acting, writing, directing... I've gone pure fanboi.
wilmwolf
Watched The Outlaws on Amazon this past weekend. Good show and easy to burn through since there are only 6 episodes. Also finally getting around to watching The Frontier on Netflix, though I am a bit late on that one. Girlfriend and I are also watching the new season of Bridgerton.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
jkpackfan
I'm watching this Lakers series on HBO and it's really well done…they even mention Skywalker Thompson (David Thompson for the young bucks) in one of the episodes.
Steve Williams
Staff
Have been watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix. One episode to go. Really good. Would def recommend.
Ellesdad
Steve Williams said:

statefan91 said:

Love this show
wilmwolf
Steve Williams said:

Have been watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix. One episode to go. Really good. Would def recommend.

Man, I tried to watch that one, and made it half an episode before moving on. Maybe it's because I had watched a lot of fantasy type stuff leading into that, but I just couldn't stick with it. It's still in my list, I'll probably try it again in the future

I've thought Outer Range oh a Prime is really good so far. It's one of those one show a week deals, so if you're a binge person, you may want to wait for them all to come out.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
smitt86
Know you've binged too many shows when I had to look that one up to make sure I'd seen it, and indeed I had, haha.

Enjoying Moon Knight on Disney+ currently, but on the one episode a week schedule.
WolfQuacker
WolfQuacker said:

If y'all aren't watching Severance, you are missing out!! Just weird enough, but not too weird. And, super complex to the point that a single line of dialogue might come back into context an episode of 4 later that puts another piece in the jigsaw puzzle. Great acting, writing, directing... I've gone pure fanboi.
I'm going to be "that guy" and bring this up again... who else has watched/is watching Severance. It's built a pretty huge following with Reddit folks trying to find hints and clues, to the point of freeze framing to read text from handbooks and monitor content, and devising theories. Ben Stiller, the creator, and cast and crew will win a lot of awards on this show - mark my words.
statefan91
WolfQuacker said:

WolfQuacker said:

I'm going to be "that guy" and bring this up again... who else has watched/is watching Severance. It's built a pretty huge following with Reddit folks trying to find hints and clues, to the point of freeze framing to read text from handbooks and monitor content, and devising theories. Ben Stiller, the creator, and cast and crew will win a lot of awards on this show - mark my words.
I plan to, just have to get through The Last Kingdom first.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.