Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

125,676 Views | 1044 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by statefan91
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Just about finished with Bosch and have really enjoyed it. Anyone got any other series recommendations worth watching?
Stoney35
If you're just looking for something quick and funny try Kim's Convenience. It's a CBC show based in Toronto and each episode is only 18-22 min long. 3 Seasons so far.
statefan91
What kind of shows are you interested in? There's honestly so much stuff out there it's hard to keep up.
JocoPack
I enjoyed Ozark
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
ncsualum05
For Amazon I just finished Hanna which was really interesting. It's kind of similar to a Jason Bourne concept only with a teenage girl. Corrupt CIA program and all. It was good though. Also Man in the High Castle is good but a little weird. That's about all I've tried on Amazon as far as originals go.

For Netflix there is so much. I haven't watched Stranger Things but that has become one of the most talked about so I'll probably check it out soon. I think season 3 is being released this summer. I like Arrested Development for comedy. I hear Ozark is good but haven't seen that one either. Shows that are no longer being released but were good original were House of Cards, and Bloodline. I enjoyed the Marvel originals on Netflix as well but they've all been discontinued. Some were better than others... Daredevil was probably the best, and Jessica Jones. I could go on and on haha.
JocoPack
Definitely check out Stranger Things. I've got to re-watch them again before the new season comes out.
statefan91
Amazon:
- Fleabag
- Good Omens
- Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- The Man in the High Castle
- Jack Ryan
- The Widow
- Any of the "All Or Nothing" seasons - my favorite is where they followed New Zealand's All Blacks Rugby Team
- Homecoming (haven't watched but heard it was good)
- Goliath (ditto)
- Sneaky Pete (ditto)
PackBacker07
Ozark is amazing, highly recommend. I also enjoyed The OA, but you have to have an open mind as it's kind of odd.
Y'all means ALL.
Ironwolf
Loved Narcos on Netflix. Very well done. First two seasons about Columbian cartels. Third season moves
to Mexico.
ncsualum05
Ironwolf said:

Loved Narcos on Netflix. Very well done. First two seasons about Columbian cartels. Third season moves
to Mexico.
Yes forgot about that one. Great show. Seen all of them.
Steve Williams
Staff
Appreciate the responses
Stoney35
Forgot about Marvelous Mrs Maisel. That is a great show. Really funny.
IseWolf22
Parks and Rec is always a great comedy. Also 30 Rock
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmit is similar humor

Can't believe no one has mentioned Breaking Bad

A Series of Unfortunate Events is something really different. My wife and I highly enjoyed it as sub-30 adults, but I think it would be even better for a family with kids 8-13ish.

Catastrophe is really funny on Amazon. It's about an accidental pregnancy between an Irish woman in London and a American visiting.

Black Mirror is intense and depressing, but really well done.

Masters of None (Aziz's show) is great

Big Mouth - Coming of Age / Puberty animated show

Archer - animated adult show starring an acholic spy
JocoPack
Yeah Parks and Rec and Breaking Bad are definitely two of my go-tos for re-runs.
metcalfmafia
I need to watch the new season of Black Mirror.
PackDaddy
I just watched a guy f*** a pig. Thanks guys
IseWolf22
PackDaddy said:

LOL!!!

First Episode is real weird, but give it a couple more. They are all very dark and dystopian though
JocoPack
IseWolf22 said:

PackDaddy said:

LOL!!!

First Episode is real weird, but give it a couple more. They are all very dark and dystopian though
Ya'll talking about black mirror? I've heard people talking about it but now I'm not so sure if it's something I would like lol
IseWolf22
JocoPack said:

IseWolf22 said:

PackDaddy said:

LOL!!!

Ya'll talking about black mirror? I've heard people talking about it but now I'm not so sure if it's something I would like lol
Yep,

I really like it. It makes you think. All about the dystopian futures with tech. Some are more realistic and chilling than others. But I always follow it with a comedy since it is so dark.

If you want to check it out, Season 1, episode 3 is the one I'd recommend to try it. Every episode is stand alone
metcalfmafia
PackDaddy said:

What would you do in his situation?
metcalfmafia
Watched the first episode of the new season last night. How do people come up with this stuff? I don't know why I like the show so much...it just makes me sad.
PackDaddy
I watched the first season last night. They are all very well done. I will have to say that episode three is probably the darkest just because of how it could become reality.
PackDaddy
I would take the stance that we don't negotiate with terrorist. But to play along and pick between yes and no if I was in that situation. I would make love to the pig. Yes that act will impact your life forever but you are also offering life to someone much younger then you.
metcalfmafia
PackDaddy said:

I would take the stance that we don't negotiate with terrorist. But to play along and pick between yes and no if I was in that situation. I would make love to the pig. Yes that act will impact your life forever but you are also offering life to someone much younger then you.
The best part is that the finger pushed him to do it, but then she appears on the bridge completely unscathed.

Now his wife despises him.
PackDaddy
I wouldn't say that she despises him, more so embarrassed and now knows that the way of life they have known is now over. The part with the the finger is so bad written, how does one not know the difference between a young female finger and that of what looks to be an elderly dock worker?
statefan91
I'm almost done with Fleabag and I'm obsessed with it. There's some serious soul searching, questions of relationships, family, religion, etc. It's a really funny show but hits hard at some times.
Steve Williams
Staff
Not Netflix or Amazon but have watched four of five episodes of Chernobyl and it has been very good. Would definitely recommend.
waxhaw
JocoPack said:

IseWolf22 said:

PackDaddy said:

TI just watched a guy f*** a pig. Thanks guys

LOL!!!

LOL. After that description, I am certain that I wouldn't like it.
waxhaw
Watching Last Kingdom on Netflix right now.
Watching Peaky Blinders also....think that is prime.
Craddock
13 Reasons Why was good.
Season 3 later this year.
ncsualum05
waxhaw said:

Watching Last Kingdom on Netflix right now.
Watching Peaky Blinders also....think that is prime.
The Last Kingdom is awesome. Can't wait for new season of that. I also for the first time just started Vikings. I had never seen it... reminds me a lot of the Last Kingdom. I like those type of shows.
PackBacker07
Steve Williams said:

Not Netflix or Amazon but have watched four of five episodes of Chernobyl and it has been very good. Would definitely recommend.
Agree it was great. It's 5 episodes total IIRC. There is also an excellent podcast with one of the writers that goes through each episode along with real events.
statefan91
Have started watching "Dead To Me" on Netflix and it's pretty entertaining

statefan91
So never really followed through with Dead to Me above. I'm sure it's fine just lost interest after a couple episodes.

Started watching "The Boys" on Amazon. The world has a lot of Superheroes and there is a group called "The Seven" which are all under a corporate umbrella and considered the "superstar" heroes. It's very corporate and they're actually very corrupt / have ulterior motives. Then there is a ragtag group that comes together called "The Boys" that are vigilantes trying to take on the heroes / corporation / etc. It can be pretty dark but I've really enjoyed it so far.

Warning - Trailer has some blood / violence

Wlfpk81
Peaky Blinders
Mr Robot
Damnation - Really Good
The Great Hack - Movie
Animal Kingdom on prime is growing on me
Godless - Also really good
The Sinner
Mindhunter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.