Any improvements at Doak Field on the horizon (1/6/2022 Doak 2.0)

187,704 Views | 1049 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Beachbum3
Stater
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any improvements on the horizon? Could the Pack support a larger park?
Pack87
I don't know how many more seats we need, but we do look a little behind most of the other league teams. Definitely need a canopy for rain delays.
Wolfer79
there has been talk of another indoor batting/pitching facility, but nothing I have heard or read for additional seating or fan ammenities
jwpack
Our field is good but as far as seating & amenities for fans we are behind every team in the acc except for Boston College,Notre Dame & possibly Pittsburgh. Our seats are not wide enough & their is no leg room. Also we do not have a canopy or roof over the seating area or concourse for protection from the sun & foul balls.

It is not a comfortable experience to sit in your seat for a game & come out with bruises on both knees after the game. As good as our team has been now & in the past it is past time that major upgrades be made.
Glasswolf
Stater said:

Any improvements on the horizon? Could the Pack support a larger park?
As far as seating or overall fan areas NO and NO. Unless UNC-CH, FSU, a regional,SR or another power plays at Doak fans are sparse. There was talk about some upgrades around our bullpen area
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

metcalfmafia
I'm fine with us having a small ball park, but I think it should at least look nice. Our stadium just looks like it's from the 80s.
Glasswolf
this is several years old but this will give you an idea of the "support" the baseball team has:::

In 2013, the Wolfpack ranked 33rd among Division I baseball programs in attendance, averaging 1,994 per home game.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doak_Field#cite_note-13att-7][7][/url] In 2014, the Wolfpack ranked 45th in attendance, averaging 1,344 per home game.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doak_Field#cite_note-8][8][/url]

RowanWolf
There's a reason the crowds at Doak are sparse. The fan experience at Doak stinks! Make a better fan experience an more fans will attend. The product on the field is worthy and would only get better.
RunsWithWolves26
From what I have been told and I take it with confidence, you will not see any major changes or even semi major changes until a new coach is hired. That almost happened 2 years ago and upgrades will be used to lure and help hire a new coach when that time comes. It's the way the game is played. Elliot has done a lot with a little for a long time. My opinion, he deserves an upgraded stadium but my opinion doesn't matter. The opinion that does matter has her mind set on the upgrades and when they will be used.
Glasswolf
If that's the hold up then it's like I was told by my parents, You don't stay married for the sake of children. If a new coach is required for a new stadium they need to cut ties.

I'm sure my source(s) isn't as good as yours but after talking with several baseball alumni the last few weeks, the common theme is 2 things: Stadium needs some upgrades. Not like they are doing at VT (40 million) but some upgrades. We will never have the fans support that other schools have. The other issue is Scott Foxhall. No one tied to the program thinks he is a good pitching coach and he's not. I trust these guys.

Avent has about 5-7 yrs left before he retires so unless he totally wets the bed he's here for a few more years.

RunsWithWolves26
Glasswolf said:

If that's the hold up then it's like I was told by my parents, You don't stay married for the sake of children. If a new coach is required for a new stadium they need to cut ties.

I'm sure my source(s) isn't as good as yours but after talking with several baseball alumni the last few weeks, the common theme is 2 things: Stadium needs some upgrades. Not like they are doing at VT (40 million) but some upgrades. We will never have the fans support that other schools have. The other issue is Scott Foxhall. No one tied to the program thinks he is a good pitching coach and he's not. I trust these guys.

Avent has about 5-7 yrs left before he retires so unless he totally wets the bed he's here for a few more years.

I hope he is here that many more years. Personally I love the guy. Had he not made the CWS when he did, he would have been fired after that season. He has ask several times for some small things and been shot down. I'm not saying that means the powers to be are bad people or that I don't like them. Simply stating what has been the case. As to foxhall. He is by far one of the worst pitching/calling coaches I've ever seen or been around. I've coached the game for 16 years and I hate saying that about another coach, but it is true. Why Elliot doesn't make a change there I'm not sure but it is what it is. Elliot isn't asking for tens of millions or even several millions. The time will come when the upgrades happen but just as with the FB hire of DD, some upgrades are held onto for negotiation purposes. It's just part of the way the game is played by both sides.
Pakbackr
RunsWithWolves26 said:

From what I have been told and I take it with confidence, you will not see any major changes or even semi major changes until a new coach is hired. That almost happened 2 years ago and upgrades will be used to lure and help hire a new coach when that time comes. It's the way the game is played. Elliot has done a lot with a little for a long time. My opinion, he deserves an upgraded stadium but my opinion doesn't matter. The opinion that does matter has her mind set on the upgrades and when they will be used.
I don't question your sources, but I think waiting for a coaching change before making necessary upgrades to your stadium is short-sighted and absolutely stupid. Investing in your stadium would send a strong message to recruits, fans and even new coaching candidates down the road, that NC State takes baseball seriously. Now that we have All ACC Access, our fans are beginning to see how nice the stadiums are at other schools. By comparison, I consider Doak to almost be embarrassing. This program and our fans deserve better, and we don't need to wait to hire a new coach to get it!
Wolfer79
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glasswolf said:

I hope he is here that many more years. Personally I love the guy. Had he not made the CWS when he did, he would have been fired after that season. He has ask several times for some small things and been shot down. I'm not saying that means the powers to be are bad people or that I don't like them. Simply stating what has been the case. As to foxhall. He is by far one of the worst pitching/calling coaches I've ever seen or been around. I've coached the game for 16 years and I hate saying that about another coach, but it is true. Why Elliot doesn't make a change there I'm not sure but it is what it is. Elliot isn't asking for tens of millions or even several millions. The time will come when the upgrades happen but just as with the FB hire of DD, some upgrades are held onto for negotiation purposes. It's just part of the way the game is played by both sides.
I wonder sometimes if Avent is waiting on Joey Devine to get his degree, which Friday pregame radio interview Devine said would be this semester and replacing Foxhall with Devine
Glasswolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glasswolf said:

The problem is $$ to pay a decent PC. Bottom line. I need to check and see if Joey Devine is still a volunteer coach but he is being groomed to become a PC someday and hopefully soon. I talked with Dan Plesac a few weeks ago and he thinks Devine will be a good one.

ETA: Just saw Wolfers post. I agree and wonder the same thing

Glasswolf
Pakbackr said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I don't question your sources, but I think waiting for a coaching change before making necessary upgrades to your stadium is short-sighted and absolutely stupid. Investing in your stadium would send a strong message to recruits, fans and even new coaching candidates down the road, that NC State takes baseball seriously. Now that we have All ACC Access, our fans are beginning to see how nice the stadiums are at other schools. By comparison, I consider Doak to almost be embarrassing. This program and our fans deserve better, and we don't need to wait to hire a new coach to get it!
When Doak was renovated the ? was asked as to what the capacity needed to be to host regionals. That's what they did. The min.

RunsWithWolves26
Pakbackr said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Short sided maybe but it was done to help secure DD in the football search and it will be done again for other coaches. Just the way the game is played sometimes. Yow has done a ton of good and I will be the first to admit that, but she is not a big fan of Elliot and things won't change a lot until he is gone, whether that be retired or fired.
Glasswolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Pakbackr said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Short sided maybe but it was done to help secure DD in the football search and it will be done again for other coaches. Just the way the game is played sometimes. Yow has done a ton of good and I will be the first to admit that, but she is not a big fan of Elliot and things won't change a lot until he is gone, whether that be retired or fired.
I agree she doesn't like him. She's told me several times we need a new baseball coach. She was going after Jim Toman until he resigned from Liberty. His salary was a sticking point tho. Great deal of the baseball alumni base like him tho.

3rdGenPacker
If this season keeps going the way it is, it will be the best job Avent has done. And he's got some good recruiting classes lined up. It might be time to accept him as the coach and quit talk about hiring someone else, and start investing in the facilities.
Stater
Glasswolf said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Pakbackr said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I agree she doesn't like him. She's told me several times we need a new baseball coach. She was going after Jim Toman until he resigned from Liberty. His salary was a sticking point tho. Great deal of the baseball alumni base like him tho.

Disappointing to say the least. Baseball is on the rise. Raleigh is a great market. Baseball may never be a revenue producer but it could be revenue neutral.

The program needs the full support of the AD. Avent seems to love NC State and he took them to the CWS. but then again they ran off a HOF coach who was an alum. So, there's that.
Glasswolf
Stater said:

Glasswolf said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Pakbackr said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Disappointing to say the least. Baseball is on the rise. Raleigh is a great market. Baseball may never be a revenue producer but it could be revenue neutral.

The program needs the full support of the AD. Avent seems to love NC State and he took them to the CWS. but then again they ran off a HOF coach who was an alum. So, there's that.
Let me say what I meant to add. Avent is not DY's favorite but she supports him as much as she can. There is no $$$ to upgrade Doak. Curtis Dail donated all total, to NC State athletics nearly $34M in his life. Look at all that bears his name. Someone has to step up

EthanBarry
Staff
I think we may need Trea or Carlos to sign a big contract for renovations. Not sure if they'll donate for that but it's worth considering
rwwalsh
Hopefully when the new AD is hired, they will look to throw some money baseball's way. 35 million for Reynolds renovation but we can't find any money for upgrades to the batting cages? Ridiculous
Lagniappe
It's my guess that the WPC is under water right now with debt.
EthanBarry
Staff
I know this isn't the pitching coach thread but the year we lead the ACC in ERA isn't the year to complain about Foxhall. Remember he's doing this without Staley and Feeney. If I told you before the season we wouldn't have them we'd probably cancel the season. I'm impartial on Foxhall but I know somebody close to the team for a long time and they thought Foxhall was a huge upgrade over Holiday. He's changed something because last year we ran out of pitching and this year depth is our strength. Got to give him credit
metcalfmafia
EthanBarry said:

I know this isn't the pitching coach thread but the year we lead the ACC in ERA isn't the year to complain about Foxhall. Remember he's doing this without Staley and Feeney. If I told you before the season we wouldn't have them we'd probably cancel the season. I'm impartial on Foxhall but I know somebody close to the team for a long time and they thought Foxhall was a huge upgrade over Holiday. He's changed something because last year we ran out of pitching and this year depth is our strength. Got to give him credit
Bingo.
wroncsu
State fans have not shown out and supported this team with the type of attendance this year that would suggest that additional seats are needed at Doak. I'd love to see substantial upgrades to Doak, or as a secondary option - a new stadium on Centennial. But with the other athletic upgrades, I don't see that happening any time in the near future from a financial perspective, and frankly it isn't needed from an attendance perspective.

However, in the near-term, I'd at the very least like to see some amenities added for a better game day experience for the fans. A roof over the concourse should've been added back in 2003.
EthanBarry
Staff
wroncsu said:

State fans have not shown out and supported this team with the type of attendance this year that would suggest that additional seats are needed at Doak.
It's been above 60 degrees like once and the best team we've played is GT. Not saying you're wrong but people aren't going to come out to see us play schools we don't know exist in 40 degree weather no matter what the stadium looks like.
3rdGenPacker
This is one of those things where there's a good chance you won't see significant improved attendance until you improve the facility. Quite frankly, for those people that aren't there solely for the baseball, it's just not a great experience. The seats are uncomfortable, there's no cover at all for anyone from sun, rain or wind, and for some reason I'll never understand there's a guard at the top of each section policing it as if the seats in that section were the most valuable commodity in town. I've seen them run young kids out of front row seats because they didn't have the tickets for those seats. Even though no one else was sitting there.

If we had a stadium like Boshamer or the one at Coastal, our family would have gone more over the years. And we had season tickets for nearly 10 years and didn't go every time we had the chance.

Build it, and they will come. Gotta do something that's pleasant and something that has some character. See Coastal and Liberty.
Pakbackr
3rdGenPacker said:

This is one of those things where there's a good chance you won't see significant improved attendance until you improve the facility. Quite frankly, for those people that aren't there solely for the baseball, it's just not a great experience. The seats are uncomfortable, there's no cover at all for anyone from sun, rain or wind, and for some reason I'll never understand there's a guard at the top of each section policing it as if the seats in that section were the most valuable commodity in town. I've seen them run young kids out of front row seats because they didn't have the tickets for those seats. Even though no one else was sitting there.

If we had a stadium like Boshamer or the one at Coastal, our family would have gone more over the years. And we had season tickets for nearly 10 years and didn't go every time we had the chance.

Build it, and they will come. Gotta do something that's pleasant and something that has some character. See Coastal and Liberty.
I agree 100%! Your ballpark needs to be a destination that draws fans. The fan experience is critical. They need to also boast the quality of the concessions and start selling beer!
gopack1979
2 things, a stadium upgrade plan was created and presented to Avent. He ended up rejecting the proposal because he wants an off campus new stadium over by the PNC and CF. The redesign looked pretty good and included boxes, an upper deck the new batting cages and practice facility and a new entrance down the right field line. The Wolfpack Club can't raise funds for the debt we have much less a 10M stadium renovation.
metcalfmafia
Is there a place to put a stadium over near Carter Finley?
EthanBarry
Staff
metcalfmafia said:

Not a bad idea but I'm not sure where. Take away parking lot maybe? Can't imagine that happens. I think everybody agrees Centennial is the best spot
Glasswolf
EthanBarry said:

metcalfmafia said:

Not a bad idea but I'm not sure where. Take away parking lot maybe? Can't imagine that happens. I think everybody agrees Centennial is the best spot
If there ever is a new stadium it will be on CC. That's where it needs to be.
MaxPack
That is one of the charms of Doak in my opinion. It's on campus. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I loved walking over to the game when I was a student. As a grad, I love being back on campus to watch baseball. I get the sports complex concept, I just prefer our facilities being on campus as much as possible.
Pakbackr
Centennial Campus is the perfect place for a new ballpark! It has rolling hills and available land with potentially beautiful views of downtown Raleigh. Plus, CC is home to colleges of textiles and engineering, as well as Hunt Library with 8-10,000 students on CC every day. There are 1,400 students who live in a huge student apartment complex on CC, as well as hundreds of other students and professionals who live in a private apartment complex. There are also about 100 companies on CC with several thousand employees.

You might be able to renovate Doak, but if you need to build something new, CC is the best option.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.