NASCAR 2020/2021

79,299 Views | 1160 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoor Truck Series
Pocono Organics 150, Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, PA
Race FS1, 12:30 p.m.

NASCAR Cup Series
Pocono Organics, Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, PA
Race Fox, 3:30 p.m.

NASCAR Race Hub Fox, 3 p.m.

. The green flag is scheduled to wave at 3:54 p.m.

The top-20 finishers for Saturday's Cup race will be inverted for Sunday's starting lineup

FORECAST: The wunderground.com forecast calls for scattered thunderstorms with a high of 74 degrees and a 70% chance of rain at the race's start

DISTANCE: The race is 130 laps (325 miles) around the 2.5-mile track.

STAGES: Stage 1 ends on Lap 25. Stage 2 ends on Lap 77.
ncsupack1
Truck race tomorrow at 9:30am....first ever triple header tomorrow!
metcalfmafia
Has there ever been a weekend with two cup races?
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia said:

google says no

Bob Pockrass
From the awesome stat folks at Racing Insights: Sunday will be first time three NASCAR national series races will be raced on the same day at the same track. It will be the fifth time three #NASCAR National Series races were run on the same day, different tracks. @NASCARONFOX

Wolfer79
Kevin Harvick wins Pocono Saturday, leaves just two current tracks on the tour on which he hasn't won -- Charlotte Roval and Kentucky.
Pacfanweb
metcalfmafia said:

Depends on what you call a weekend. Back in the early days, they used to race 3-4 times a week.

I looked at Richard Petty's career and picked a year: 1964:

They raced all the time.

3/28: Greenville (This was a Friday)
3/30: Winston-Salem Monday

4/11: Friday at Weaverville
4/12: Saturday at Hillsboro

4/14: Monday at Spartanburg

4/16: Wednesday at Columbia

4/19: Saturday at Wilkesboro

So yes, they've run 2 Cup races on weekends before, if you call Friday the weekend. They ran Friday/Sunday all the time, not to mention Thursday/Saturday as well.

And yes, they've done Saturday/Sunday as well, just not as often.

ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

Kevin Harvick wins Pocono Saturday, leaves just two current tracks on the tour on which he hasn't won -- Charlotte Roval and Kentucky.

Great win for the 4 team. Glad he can check that one off.
Wolfer79
Harvick says, "I'm not doing anymore celebrations without anybody out there to celebrate with. I won't do any burnouts until the fans come back. I miss the fans. I miss my team being able to be in there with us. It's tough to just give an elbow bump."
Wolfer79
Green flag times for Sunday's Pocono tripleheader, the first such day in NASCAR history (all three national series racing at the same day on the same track):

Truck Series: 9:46 a.m. ET (FS1)
Xfinity Series: 12:47 p.m. ET (FS1)
Cup Series: 4:24 p.m. ET (FS1)
Wolfer79
Bob Pockgrass

290 laps -- 725 miles of racing -- of Pocono today ... All on FS1. Trucks (stages 15-15-30, no comp caution) green at 9:46am ET, Xfinity (stages 20-20-50, comp caution Lap 20) at 12:46pm ET and Cup (stages 30-55-55, no comp caution) at 4:26 ET. #nascar @NASCARONFOX
Wolfer79
Multiple cars in the NASCAR Cup Series will drop to the rear before the start of Sunday's Pocono 350 (4 p.m. ET on FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).

Because Sunday's race is the second in a weekend doubleheader, teams are supposed to use the same car from the first race. Five teams, though, have been approved to go to a backup car and therefore will have to fall back before the green flag: the No. 00 StarCom Racing Chevrolet of Quin Houff (supposed to start 40th), the No. 8 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet of Tyler Reddick (supposed to start 30th), the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota of Erik Jones (supposed to start 38th), the No. 22 Team Penske Ford of Joey Logano (supposed to start 36th) and the No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet of Alex Bowman (supposed to start 27th).

Also, four other drivers will lose their starting spot for different reasons. Chase Elliott's No. 9 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet and B.J. McLeod's No. 78 B.J. McLeod Motorsports Chevrolet had their transmissions changed. Elliott and McLeod were set to fire off 25th and 39th, respectively. Then, William Byron's No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet and Ryan Preece's No. 37 JTG Daugherty Racing Chevrolet had their engines changed. Byron was going to start seventh, while Preece originally had the pole position.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
ound 2 at Pocono went to Denny Hamlin. Hamlin seized the spotlight, specifically in Victory Lane when Pocono had to set up lights after the race ended in the dark

Hamlin has four wins this season for Joe Gibbs Racing and Harvick has three for Stewart-Haas Racing as they start to separate themselves from the rest of the field

Hamlin raced to his fourth victory of the season to cap a wild, marathon day of racing at the track, with three NASCAR races and nightfall in the finale. Pocono doesn't have lights -- but the pit road numbers were lit up and glowed as Hamlin won for the second straight year at Pocono.

The rain wreaked havoc with the third NASCAR race of the day at Pocono. Brandon Jones opened the day with a win in the Truck series race, and Chase Briscoe won the Xfinity event. Pocono became the first track in NASCAR history to hold three national series races on the same day
Steve Williams
Staff
Glad to move on. Not sure that I ever saw a pass for the lead after the first lap of a restart.
ncsupack1
Steve Williams said:

Glad to move on. Not sure that I ever saw a pass for the lead after the first lap of a restart.

Agree. The racing wasn't great.
Wolfer79
NASCAR, IndyCar doubleheader puts NBC to test

NASCAR and IndyCar will hold the first doubleheader of its kind this weekend at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and NBC Sports says producing both events has turned into one of its most complex projects ever

Mike Tirico will host festivities all weekend from the sixth floor of the IMS pagoda, and he will be joined by NASCAR analyst Dale Jarrett, the Hall of Famer who is recovering from the coronavirus.

Crossover will be a major theme, with NBC bringing on NASCAR drivers and analysts during the IndyCar portion of the weekend, and vice versa during the NASCAR portion. For example, IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe is doing a part-time gig with NBC this season, and he will roam the venue with fellow talent Rutledge Wood during the NASCAR race.

The weekend will start on Friday with practice for the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix. On Saturday, the Grand Prix will take place on the track's road course at noon ET, and then NASCAR's Xfinity Series will run its race, the Pennzoil 150, at 3 p.m. On Sunday, NASCAR's Cup Series will own the day with the running of the Big Machine Hand Sanitizer 400 at 3:30 p.m.

Behnke said that some of the cameras at IMS will be positioned in a way where they can face the infield road course for IndyCar and then simply turn around to face the oval to shoot the NASCAR scenes.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/06/29/Media/Motorsports.aspx

Wolfer79
Adam Stern
Sports Business Journal

(WGI is Watkins Glen International, I had to look, race is scheduled for August 16, August 2 NASCAR at New Hampshire, August 9 at Michigan (

.@WGI is in discussions with @NYGovCuomo's administration about trying to get a waiver for August for the NASCAR industry regarding two-week quarantine rule that includes North Carolina, per sources.

Cuomo did grant one to @Mets and @Yankees players coming back from Florida. https://t.co/uJ1rrIgBxr
TraCha4
What's the best guess on who #48 replacement will be?
Brad K ?
BruceDouble
Strategy is about the only interesting part of the Pocono race. That and the restarts.
ncsupack1
Agree. I more so was talking about the wreck fest, from the truck and Xfinity.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern
Sports Business Journal

.@NASCAR has canceled the 2020 postseason Champion's Week and Cup Series Awards banquet in Nashville due to the coronavirus pandemic, sources say.

The series will still honor the champion in some shape or form, but how/when not yet clear.

: https://t.co/c7hMIkIRJC https://t.co/9yEWqBqen7
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern
Sports Business Journal

(WGI is Watkins Glen International, I had to look, race is scheduled for August 16, August 2 NASCAR at New Hampshire, August 9 at Michigan (

.@WGI is in discussions with @NYGovCuomo's administration about trying to get a waiver for August for the NASCAR industry regarding two-week quarantine rule that includes North Carolina, per sources.

Cuomo did grant one to @Mets and @Yankees players coming back from Florida. https://t.co/uJ1rrIgBxr

Indy, NH, and Michigan. And Pocono. Yuck. Go back to Darlington for about 5 more races. I never liked road courses, but now they've become among the most action-packed it seems, so Watkins Glen May be enjoyable
Tootie4Pack
PC91, you are certainly right about Indy and Michigan being snoozers. Two of the most boring races on the circuit. Hard to pass at Indy, and someone usually gets a lead at Michigan and it is hard for anyone to pass them.

Darlington , Bristol , Richmond, Martinsville are much more competitive race tracks. Just my opinion, but having been to see races at some of these tracks, I'll take the shorter tracks to go and watch a race, along with Daytona and Talledega. Hopefully the All Star race at Bristol will be entertaining.
Packchem91
Tootie4Pack said:

PC91, you are certainly right about Indy and Michigan being snoozers. Two of the most boring races on the circuit. Hard to pass at Indy, and someone usually gets a lead at Michigan and it is hard for anyone to pass them.

Darlington , Bristol , Richmond, Martinsville are much more competitive race tracks. Just my opinion, but having been to see races at some of these tracks, I'll take the shorter tracks to go and watch a race, along with Daytona and Talledega. Hopefully the All Star race at Bristol will be entertaining.
Amen.
Seems like Michigan is like Pocono now --- no passing, but you occasionally get one of those gas mileage / strategy races where someone is way back, but outlasts everyone.

The 1.5 mile tracks are generally boring. That leaves the smaller ones, and the two ones where they govern the speed to keep them all looped together

As I've watched about 6-7 more races (or at least parts of races) this year already than I did all of last couple of years, I'm remembering now why the sport was struggling --- in an MMA culture that demands action in its sports, many of the tracks encourage the lack of.
Tootie4Pack
Yes sir. Your last sentence sums it up well.
Wolfer79
.Adam Stern

@FoxTV earned a 1.63 rating and 2.570 million viewers for Saturday's Cup race at Pocono, as @FS1 got 1.62 rating and 2.660M for Sunday's second race, per @ShowBuzzDaily.

First Pocono race last June on FS1: 1.45, 2.386M.

Second race last July on NBCSN: 1.7 rating, 2.705M. https://t.co/VtmlGgZLKh
Wolfer79
.@FoxSports says it's averaging 3.778 million viewers for the NASCAR Cup Series through 15 races, down just 1% (from 3.817M) through the same number of events last year.

That comes despite a significant number of rain delays and postponements including the Daytona 500. https://t.co/gIWsL5fCdq
Bell Tower Grey
TraCha4 said:

What's the best guess on who #48 replacement will be?
Brad K ?
Even though he drives for JR Motorsports, I would not be surprised at all to see Justin Allgaier get that ride.
Wolfer79
Dr. Rose Mattoli, the matriarch of Pocono Raceway, was a special person and a motorsports pioneer, a woman in a position of power during a time when even no women, not even drivers' wives, were allowed on pit road. Godspeed, Mrs. Doc. #NASCAR #IndyCar https://t.co/qb5VkaUjKP
Wolfer79
NASCAR Pocono doubleheader ratings:
-- Saturday's FOX race up, but nears a broadcast TV low
-- Sunday's FS1 race down, but nears a cable season-high
-- Both races had the same rating
-- Both rank as the lowest rated weekend races of season
https://t.co/zoGgYOR4Do
Wolfer79

It was so hot @TooToughToTame in 1990, the driver suits became so sweat soaked that they hung them out in the garage to dry.

Steve Williams
Staff
Wolfer79 said:

It was so hot @TooToughToTame in 1990, the driver suits became so sweat soaked that they hung them out in the garage to dry.

So Elliott, Wallace, Earnhardt...who were the other three?
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NASCAR is part of a business coalition that has asked congress to help them obtain pandemic risk insurance, per @Deadline.

- https://t.co/pjgV0Kb1fh https://t.co/IY051Iocu6
Wolfer79
The King was born #OnThisDay in 1937!

Level Cross, NC native Richard Petty is one of the most well known figures in NASCAR history. Petty won 200 races and had a massive 712 top ten finishes in his 35 year career.

Wolfer79
Steve Williams said:

Wolfer79 said:

So Elliott, Wallace, Earnhardt...who were the other three?

was Folgers Tim Richmond?
I have a 3 day weekend Google project

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.