NASCAR 2020/2021

79,314 Views | 1160 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
tuffy1006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
former NASCAR driver Stanley Smith has passed away from pneumonia, no idea if it was related to covid or not.

many will remember Smith survived a basilar skull fracture...the same injury that killed Dale Earnhardt, Adam Petty, and several other nascar drivers
ncsupack1
What a nasty wreck...
Wolfer79
Steve Williams
Staff
Saw where Martin Truex's wife has had a recurrence of ovarian cancer. Was really hoping that was behind her.
caryking
Steve Williams said:

Saw where Martin Truex's wife has had a recurrence of ovarian cancer. Was really hoping that was behind her.
That's terrible. I didn't realize they were married. Nonetheless, their relationship is appears to be neat.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
ncsupack1
Steve Williams said:

Yeah sucks for sure.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

Speedway Motorsports and the city of Nashville today will announce that they are still negotiating and making progress to bring @NASCAR back to the Fairgrounds, with the potential to host races as early as 2022, per @Tennessean.https://t.co/4IagsnQnwT
caryking
Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

Speedway Motorsports and the city of Nashville today will announce that they are still negotiating and making progress to bring @NASCAR back to the Fairgrounds, with the potential to host races as early as 2022, per @Tennessean.https://t.co/4IagsnQnwT
it that for Winston Cup races?

Joe Biden
Pacfanweb
They need to bring Cup racing back to the Rock. Was stupid to ever leave.
tuffy1006
Pacfanweb said:

yes they do. I miss that place.
caryking
tuffy1006 said:

Pacfanweb said:

yes they do. I miss that place.
Not a fun race live, my opinion. That being said, I would really like to see NASCAR go back to it roots more...

Joe Biden
ncsupack1
Pacfanweb said:

The problem is that when the trucks came back attdendece didn't follow. Would love to see racing back at the Rock, but will the fans come?
ncsupack1
Agree they do, I'm not a fan of road courses....a couple are fine, but hope that the road course doesn't turn into the "new" mile and a half....I do like the ROVAL.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

With a lot of one-day shows next year, @NASCAR and @iRacing are working on airing sim races during Friday/Saturday broadcast windows that would typically have practice or qualifying to help make up for the lack of real-life action, per sources. https://t.co/FFMkr5YTof
Pacfanweb
ncsupack1 said:

Pacfanweb said:

The problem is that when the trucks came back attdendece didn't follow. Would love to see racing back at the Rock, but will the fans come?
The 2012 race was near capacity. 27,500-ish, IIRC. That's a big crowd for a truck race.
And truck racing doesn't draw big crowds anyway.

The Cup races at Rockingham were in February...literally the 2nd race after Daytona. That's a terrible time for a race in NC. It's cold, as it was in the fall when the other Rockingham race used to be.
And they were still getting 30~40k there. Put that race in May and see what happens.
ncsupack1
Look I'm with ya...the question is what company is gonna drop a race? If you add one, one has to go.
Wolfer79
.@AnthonyAlfredo is in talks to join Front Row Motorsports to fill its open seat for the 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season, per sources.

Alfredo had been with @RCRracing and is represented by @TeamDillonMgmt's Austin Craven. https://t.co/ZkhAhApkAT
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Features, Part 1 FS1, 7:30 p.m.
NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Features, Part 2 FS1, 8:30 p.m.
NASCAR Race Hub: Sights and Sounds FS1, 9:30 p.m.
NASCAR Race Hub: Jimmie Johnson Tribute FS1, 10:30 p.m.
ncsupack1
Gonna have to check it out.
Wolfer79

personal comment by wolfer79
I think it is on one of the 32 pages of this topic, but the correct answer is the Davey Allison #28

edit
from page 12 of 32

Pacfanweb
The polished wheels are definitely better.

Bell Tower Grey
Those are all top flite, but you have to strongly consider this

Pacfanweb
David Pearson was the first one I was going to post, but those old Cougars were just so ugly I couldn't make myself do it.
He was the man, though.
Bell Tower Grey
Pacfanweb said:

David Pearson was the first one I was going to post, but those old Cougars were just so ugly I couldn't make myself do it.
He was the man, though.
Lol, but that simple paint scheme is classic. Looked good on every car it was on. FTR, I agree, the Cougar was an ugly car....damn near Toronado ugly.
TraCha4
Steve Williams
Staff
That was a good looking car.
Pacfanweb
And that's actual paint, not just a wrap.
ncsupack1
Man those are some pretty cars. Love the polished rims.
caryking
Bell Tower Grey said:

Those are all top flite, but you have to strongly consider this

The 21 paint scheme has my top pick. Even when the wood brothers bring it out now, it's just the best on the track... I hope they can get even more competitive next season.

Joe Biden
TraCha4

I always like this one too. More so on the 9 than when Bud was with Jr on the 8.
ncsupack1
Agree. Wanna see that car in victory lane.
Wolfer79
https://www.wral.com/raleigh-speedway-exploring-remains-of-raleigh-s-buried-nascar-track/19092235/

Raleigh Speedway: Exploring lost NASCAR history.

By Heather Leah, WRAL multiplatform producer
RALEIGH, N.C. You'd never guess the quiet patch of woods near Atlantic Avenue was once a NASCAR super speedway, hosting roaring engines and racing legends like Lee Petty, Fireball Roberts and Tim Flock.

"Raleigh was supposed to be Daytona," said Pettis Montague, whose father Rufus Crumpler once raced the banked edges of Raleigh's one-mile paperclip super speedway. The Raleigh Speedway was owned by the same NASCAR legend Bill France who made Daytona what it is today.

Rufus Crumpler at the Raleigh Speedway in 1953. Image Courtesy of Pettis Montague, Edith Crumpler

But Raleigh wasn't really a NASCAR town, according to multiple family members of racers from the 1950s and 60s. City Council would never allow Bill France to run races on Sunday, and the track was built close enough to rattle residential areas.

Today, all that remains of the super speedway is a silent strip of asphalt tucked away in the trees.

Most of the remaining 90 feet of race track is covered by decades of dirt and underbrush. In the quiet patch of trees where the speedway once stood, a few patches of track peek out from beneath the dirt--fading memories of an era of racing slowly being covered by time.

Chunks of black asphalt surround tree trunks, where the trees have punctured through the speedway and continued to grow.

Back when the price of admission to a race was only $6.50, Edith Crumpler, whose husband once raced on Raleigh's track, said, "It was called Southland Speedway at first, and Indy cars raced there. Bill France built that track and he's the one who founded NASCAR."

It was like a small family--a racing family--said Montague.

"Today NASCAR is such big business, but back in the day it was family. Country boys, building their cars in their barns," she said.

"Some of the earliest drivers got started because they were driving moonshine down the mountains," said Montague.

"Even before Prohibition came to an end in 1933, racing their high-performance cars became a popular pastime among the 'runners' in North Carolina," according to an article on the history of prohibition and NASCAR. "They raced each other's cars, many of them Ford models, on weekend afternoons out in the country on makeshift dirt tracks."

The speedway in Raleigh wasn't built until the early 1950s, long after prohibition was finished. Crumpler recalls her husband starting as an amateur racer on little dirt tracks called 'outlaw tracks.'

"Because they were not NASCAR sanctioned," said Crumpler.

Joe Epton, track manager for the Raleigh Speedway, and his wife Lightnin' Epton lived in Millbrook at the time, neighbors to the Crumpler family.

Joe went on to become the Chief Scorer for Daytona when France shifted his attention out there and closed the Raleigh Speedway. Decades later, Lightnin' still works the ticket box at Daytona. She's coming up on her 100th birthday.

Deadly crash on the abandoned Raleigh Speedway
Long after the speedway had closed its track, Raleigh teens loved to race their cars on the remains.

Tragically, an evening race on the remaining track ended in a deadly crash.

Afterwards, France and Crumpler went out to dig trenches across the track, to prevent people from racing and potentially causing more injuries.

Eventually, as the decades passed, developers built over much of the remaining track. Whatever wasn't developed was overtaken by nature and hidden amongst the trees that have now grown around the track.

However, those hidden patches of historic asphalt can still be found memories of an era when NASCAR ruled in Raleigh.

caryking
Wolfer79 said:

https://www.wral.com/raleigh-speedway-exploring-remains-of-raleigh-s-buried-nascar-track/19092235/

Raleigh Speedway: Exploring lost NASCAR history.

By Heather Leah, WRAL multiplatform producer
RALEIGH, N.C. You'd never guess the quiet patch of woods near Atlantic Avenue was once a NASCAR super speedway, hosting roaring engines and racing legends like Lee Petty, Fireball Roberts and Tim Flock.

"Raleigh was supposed to be Daytona," said Pettis Montague, whose father Rufus Crumpler once raced the banked edges of Raleigh's one-mile paperclip super speedway. The Raleigh Speedway was owned by the same NASCAR legend Bill France who made Daytona what it is today.

Rufus Crumpler at the Raleigh Speedway in 1953. Image Courtesy of Pettis Montague, Edith Crumpler

But Raleigh wasn't really a NASCAR town, according to multiple family members of racers from the 1950s and 60s. City Council would never allow Bill France to run races on Sunday, and the track was built close enough to rattle residential areas.

Today, all that remains of the super speedway is a silent strip of asphalt tucked away in the trees.

Most of the remaining 90 feet of race track is covered by decades of dirt and underbrush. In the quiet patch of trees where the speedway once stood, a few patches of track peek out from beneath the dirt--fading memories of an era of racing slowly being covered by time.

Chunks of black asphalt surround tree trunks, where the trees have punctured through the speedway and continued to grow.

Back when the price of admission to a race was only $6.50, Edith Crumpler, whose husband once raced on Raleigh's track, said, "It was called Southland Speedway at first, and Indy cars raced there. Bill France built that track and he's the one who founded NASCAR."

It was like a small family--a racing family--said Montague.

"Today NASCAR is such big business, but back in the day it was family. Country boys, building their cars in their barns," she said.

"Some of the earliest drivers got started because they were driving moonshine down the mountains," said Montague.

"Even before Prohibition came to an end in 1933, racing their high-performance cars became a popular pastime among the 'runners' in North Carolina," according to an article on the history of prohibition and NASCAR. "They raced each other's cars, many of them Ford models, on weekend afternoons out in the country on makeshift dirt tracks."

The speedway in Raleigh wasn't built until the early 1950s, long after prohibition was finished. Crumpler recalls her husband starting as an amateur racer on little dirt tracks called 'outlaw tracks.'

"Because they were not NASCAR sanctioned," said Crumpler.

Joe Epton, track manager for the Raleigh Speedway, and his wife Lightnin' Epton lived in Millbrook at the time, neighbors to the Crumpler family.

Joe went on to become the Chief Scorer for Daytona when France shifted his attention out there and closed the Raleigh Speedway. Decades later, Lightnin' still works the ticket box at Daytona. She's coming up on her 100th birthday.

Deadly crash on the abandoned Raleigh Speedway
Long after the speedway had closed its track, Raleigh teens loved to race their cars on the remains.

Tragically, an evening race on the remaining track ended in a deadly crash.

Afterwards, France and Crumpler went out to dig trenches across the track, to prevent people from racing and potentially causing more injuries.

Eventually, as the decades passed, developers built over much of the remaining track. Whatever wasn't developed was overtaken by nature and hidden amongst the trees that have now grown around the track.

However, those hidden patches of historic asphalt can still be found memories of an era when NASCAR ruled in Raleigh.

I went out there many years ago and found parts of the track. Years ago, you could see the outline of part of the track from google maps.

Joe Biden
caryking
Anybody interested in the new SRX series?

https://www.srxracing.com/

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
The Money Team Racing (@tmtracing50), the new @NASCAR team co-owned by @FloydMayweather, is in advanced discussions with @SpireMotorsport to form a new partnership that will help pave its entrance into the sport. (@A_S12)

Free to read: https://t.co/8ataJBrNys https://t.co/9fX2aoI2Sx

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.