NASCAR 2020/2021

79,282 Views | 1160 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
PossumJenkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ross to the 42 was a done deal over a month ago til BW showed up with $20 mil but asking for $5 mil of it in salary. Talks didn't bear out. Denny is close to buying the Germain charter with Jordan and Toyota support and having BW as the driver. Anything can still happen but looks like that's gonna go down.
PossumJenkins
And Larson may end up at Hendrick
TheStorm
TraCha4 said:

I tend to agree. Bowman to the 48. The 9 and 48 are top of the food chain at HM. I guess the 24 is next in line so Byron stays in that seat which leaves the 88 open for BW since sponsorships are needed.
Does Jeff Gordon still own a piece of the 48? I remember that being the deal when they originally added that team (what doesn't "feel" like all that many years ago, but obviously now is )...
ncsupack1
Believe he still does
TheStorm
ncsupack1 said:

Believe he still does
Somewhere along the way he owned a piece of his own ride as well, did he not?
Wolfer79
Ross Chastain will drive the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet full-time in the NASCAR Cup Series starting in 2021, the team announced Monday.

Chastain, who currently has a full-time ride in the NASCAR Xfinity Series with Kaulig Racing, will take over for Matt Kenseth, who has held the seat since May after Kyle Larson was dismissed for using a racial slur during an iRacing event.

Chastain currently is preparing for the Xfinity Series Playoffs starting Saturday night at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio). The 27-year-old driver is ranked eighth entering the playoffs and has 23 top-10 finishes in 26 races this season. He has two career Xfinity wins in 184 starts over the past seven years.
ncsupack1
I think so, I think it was part of his lifetime contract.
PackBacker07
Whoa

Y'all means ALL.
PossumJenkins
I said that above
PackBacker07
My bad! I used to follow NASCAR pretty close, but haven't in years. I haven't kept up with this thread very well. Apologies!
Y'all means ALL.
PossumJenkins
Oh no worries. I didn't mean it that way. I don't have a lot of inside info overall, but my Nascar info is accurate. Anyway, Jordan has been so good at running the hornets and DH is so good with his money...i can't wait to see how this turns out.
ncsupack1
IMO not much different than what the 13 or 43 are currently doing. Best of luck to them.
Wolfer79
ncsupack1 said:

IMO not much different than what the 13 or 43 are currently doing. Best of luck to them.

starting to make some sense, isn't Germain the #13?

Jordan and Hamlin purchased a charter for their team from Germain Racing that guarantees Wallace a spot in the 40-car field every week.
Wolfer79
starts to make more sense

PossumJenkins
I was being a little sarcastic above. It's likely they'll get their equipment from Gibbs with a lot of Toyota support. Since DH is family, i assume Coach won't rape them and put them out of biz like he did to furniture row and Leavine. The equipment will be good...the driver? Eh...
PossumJenkins
DH and Jordan have been friends for a long time. Play a lot of golf together.
ncsupack1
Crazy silly season. Like the buzz for the sport. Best of luck to MJ, DH, and BW..
Wolfer79
PossumJenkins said:

I heard DH called the Hornets version of Jack Nicholson this morning.
Wolfer79
.Adam Stern

@NASCAR has struck a new deal with @LevyRestaurants to transition its food-and-beverage operations from @Americrown to Levy, which will run concessions at NASCAR venues starting in 2021.

Levy already works with Speedway Motorsports and manages more than 200 major venues. https://t.co/QlI1W4dUlM
Wolfer79
NASCAR Bristol ratings sank double-digits to a new low, but the numbers were not too bad given the competition.

Last Saturday's NASCAR Cup Series playoff race at Bristol averaged a 1.2 rating and 2.12 million viewers on NBCSN, marking the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 1998 and the least-watched since at least 2000 including rainouts.

The lower numbers are no real surprise, given the unusually strong competition an NBA playoff game on ESPN (Celtics-Heat: 3.81M) and Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on NBC (Stars-Lightning: 2.11M), in addition to the usual September fare of college football on ABC (Miami-Louisville: 3.80M).

Add to that the fact that the Bristol night race previously took place during one of the (traditionally) slowest times on the sporting calendar, mid-August, and the 20% drop in ratings looks like a best-case scenario.

Bristol ranks as the fourth-most watched non-Sunday race this season, not a small distinction in a season that has featured 11. The top three the Saturday night race at Daytona in August (3.87M), Monday rainout at Talladega in June (3.33M) and Saturday afternoon race at Pocono in June (2.66M) aired on broadcast television.

In other action, last Friday's Xfinity Series race at Bristol averaged a 0.47 and 764,000 on NBCSN (both -16%). The Truck Series race there averaged a 0.23 (-21%) and 361,000 (-18%) last Thursday.

ncsupack1
Better than I thought. Lot going on last weekend. Still strong numbers.
Wolfer79
Friday Night Truck Race
9pm
FS1

Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@HomesteadMiami will move to the second slot of the 2021 @NASCAR Cup Series schedule, per sources.

Homestead is expected to market the move as a way for fans already attending the Daytona 500 to extend their stay in Florida for another week.

: https://t.co/2ux9Bd9Abc https://t.co/hA0KsNTJ9U
ciscopack
PossumJenkins said:

I'll guess this will do a little better than Mike's ownership BB teams; Bubba's driving has been pretty good lately. I don't keep up with it greatly or watch every race. I assume they'll be a satellite team for one of the biggies...like Gibbs? They've got to have the engines and engineering to compete but Denny and Bubba know that....gotta have a good crew too.

Down at Galot this week....for those that don't know.....the old Dunn-Benson Dragstrip is no longer. The nicest dragstrip maybe in the nation is just a few miles past the Char Grill just off Inst. 95! I remember coming here when they were closed probably 30 years ago and me and my cousin were thinking about buying or renting it. It had weeds 5 feet high. My cousins had been telling me about it but this was my first time back and it's outstanding.....35 minutes or so from Raleigh. I talked to the owner last week....man he's put a lot of good thinking in it. He has a great crew of workers too. Today's $100,000 to the winner is rained out of course, maybe we can get back out there tomorrow? Next week....Thunder Valley in Bristol, TN... for the K&N Spring Fling.

https://www.bracketraces.com/documents/2020-fall-fling.pdf

http://motormaniatv.com/
ncsupack1
Interesting idea. I personally think Homestead will have a hard time making it without being the championship race. But that's just me.
Pacfanweb
ciscopack said:

PossumJenkins said:

I'll guess this will do a little better than Mike's ownership BB teams; Bubba's driving has been pretty good lately. I don't keep up with it greatly or watch every race. I assume they'll be a satellite team for one of the biggies...like Gibbs? They've got to have the engines and engineering to compete but Denny and Bubba know that....gotta have a good crew too.

Down at Galot this week....for those that don't know.....the old Dunn-Benson Dragstrip is no longer. The nicest dragstrip maybe in the nation is just a few miles past the Char Grill just off Inst. 95! I remember coming here when they were closed probably 30 years ago and me and my cousin were thinking about buying or renting it. It had weeds 5 feet high. My cousins had been telling me about it but this was my first time back and it's outstanding.....35 minutes or so from Raleigh. I talked to the owner last week....man he's put a lot of good thinking in it. He has a great crew of workers too. Today's $100,000 to the winner is rained out of course, maybe we can get back out there tomorrow? Next week....Thunder Valley in Bristol, TN... for the K&N Spring Fling.

I have an old Chevy drag truck that I've been working on getting back on the track. Went down the track at Benson many a time. Piedmont, Roxboro, Kinston, Brewers, Fayetteville and Sanford as well.
This was at Piedmont.
There are several newer tracks now, too, within an hour or so of Raleigh.

TraCha4
I agree with you.
SupplyChainPack
ciscopack said:

PossumJenkins said:

Bubba's recent finishes:. 22, 26, 38.

He's Danaca Patrick 2.0 with a black power fist.

He has no business driving on the same track with the elite drivers, and if he wasn't part of an affirmative action program, you would have never heard of his name.

If he suddenly starts winning next season, it's not because he suddenly learned how to drive - it's because NASCAR is doing what it is that NASCAR does.

And I expect that they will.
ncsupack1
Congrats to the 98 tonight....dominated.
PossumJenkins
Stop...Bubba is not a great driver to be sure but those finishes are in a Petty car. Danica was in race winning equipment. I am not a Bubba fan...and NASCAR has propped him up from a sponsorship perspective to be sure...same way they have Suarez. But i don't think they'll manipulate a race or for sure races...they only do that for Jr.
Pacfanweb
PossumJenkins said:

Stop...Bubba is not a great driver to be sure but those finishes are in a Petty car. Danica was in race winning equipment. I am not a Bubba fan...and NASCAR has propped him up from a sponsorship perspective to be sure...same way they have Suarez. But i don't think they'll manipulate a race or for sure races...they only do that for Jr.
I don't know about the "Petty car" theory anymore. That used to be the case, but the last 2 full time drivers they had did better than Bubba. Almirola won in that same car.
PossumJenkins
Used to be the case? I promise you. It's still the case. They are the 4th RCR car. Also i agree. Aric is a better driver, but the win you're referring to was a rain shortened restrictor plate. You know who else won a rain shortened restrictor plate? Spire Motorsports. And those guys are some of my best friends, not to take anything away from them. They all played by the same rules. But my point is still. Aric is a better driver, i agree, yet he still doesn't have the wins to show for it in championship winning equipment he's in now. I'm not defending Bubba. But to say his 22-25 finishes are bad, is a slim perspective. That's what he's racing for. 20th-25th. Tell me who you expect him to beat just simply equipment wise. 4 Gibbs, 4 Hendrick, 4 SHR, 4 Penske, 2 CGR, 3 RCR...he's fighting for 20-25 with Roush, JTG, etc. because that's the money they have and that they can spend. That's all I'm saying
ncsupack1
This. Have to agree, that 43 is running about where it should.
Wolfer79
Here's all the information you need to get ready for Sunday's South Point 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the fourth of 10 playoff races in the NASCAR Cup Series:

START TIME: 7 p.m. ET. (4 p.m. local)

TV: NBCSN. Pre-race broadcast begins at 6 p.m. ET. (3 p.m. local).

RADIO: Performance Racing Network. STREAMING: For those who sign in with their cable/satellite provider's credentials, you can watch at stream.nbcsports.com.

RACE DISTANCE: 267 laps around the 1.5-mile Las Vegas Motor Speedway for a total of 400.5 miles.

STAGE LENGTHS (laps per stage): Stage 1: 80, Stage 2: 80, Stage 3: 107.

SEEDINGS (after first round): 1. Kevin Harvick; 2. Denny Hamlin; 3. Brad Keselowski; 4. Joey Logano; 6. Chase Elliott; 7. Martin Truex Jr.; 7. Alex Bowman; 8. Austin Dillon; 9. Aric Almirola; 10. Kyle Busch; 11. Clint Bowyer; 12. Kurt Busch.
ciscopack
Pacfanweb said:

ciscopack said:

PossumJenkins said:

I have an old Chevy drag truck that I've been working on getting back on the track. Went down the track at Benson many a time. Piedmont, Roxboro, Kinston, Brewers, Fayetteville and Sanford as well.
This was at Piedmont.
There are several newer tracks now, too, within an hour or so of Raleigh.

I've been to all those many times and most of the big tracks east of the Mississippi. My cousin used to work for Harold Denton way back and I'd help out when I went....first guy on a naturally aspirated engine over 200MPH, 1st to run in the 7's and 6's in a quarter mile (Pro Stock). He was a country boy on a shoe string budget....no backing and he could hold his own. He out drove them all (pro stock). He gave me a big old zoom lens when I took a picture of him wearing Warren Johnson out off the line. Ronnie Sox, Ricky Smith, Bob Gliden, Lee Shepard....Harold was the better driver without money or backing those guys had. Harold was getting old in racing and we were at Rockingham one time long ago and Harold was working on his old wore out Ford Mustang. A guy beside us had this big rig and a new car and a tool box about the size of a shoe box and a bunch of drunks hanging around; the guy did not even have a timing light. Harold could hear that his car was off in tuning and he went over introduced himself and asked could he help him with the car. He did and the car got much better and he made the field. When we were leaving after the race the guy stopped us and he handed Harold an envelope...it had $1000 in it. A little later, the guy called old man Harold to ask him to drive his car. He did and then Jim Ruth bought IHRA.

If you have not been to Galot since it became that.....you need to go. Great track.....better track than Charlotte. The first 330' is heated and cooled underneath and ran by some hard workers! The W/speed displays are big HD screens.....beautiful. I talked to the owner last week.... nice man, a country boy who did well for himself; his daughter runs the track.

Galot

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.