NASCAR 2020/2021

79,342 Views | 1160 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glad to see Kurt win at his home track. Interesting finish for sure, with the win gonna be hard for some drivers considering what's coming up.
ciscopack
SupplyChainPack said:

ciscopack said:

PossumJenkins said:

DH and Jordan have been friends for a long time. Play a lot of golf together.
I'll guess this will do a little better than Mike's ownership BB teams; Bubba's driving has been pretty good lately. I don't keep up with it greatly or watch every race. I assume they'll be a satellite team for one of the biggies...like Gibbs? They've got to have the engines and engineering to compete but Denny and Bubba know that....gotta have a good crew too.

https://www.bracketraces.com/documents/2020-fall-fling.pdf

http://motormaniatv.com/

Bubba's recent finishes:. 22, 26, 38.

He's Danaca Patrick 2.0 with a black power fist.

He has no business driving on the same track with the elite drivers, and if he wasn't part of an affirmative action program, you would have never heard of his name.

If he suddenly starts winning next season, it's not because he suddenly learned how to drive - it's because NASCAR is doing what it is that NASCAR does.

And I expect that they will.

Get real dude....how do you come to a sports website and put a guy down who's never had one of the best cars? Now I seriously doubt he''ll be Kevin Harvick or Kurt or Kyle Busch but he's not far off to how 7 time champ Jimmie Johnson has run the last couple years and Jimmy drives for Hendrick. Jimmie obviously doesn't like this package; I don't think he could have lost that much skill? If you've never raced round track, you don't really know much about tight, loose or free or pushing. If you have, you should know Bubba's driving a #20's or worse race car with a number 20's or worse race team. So Bubba is mostly white and he has a mostly black mom and an at least mostly white dad (probably full?); what do you think our great athletes on our football and basketball are for the most part for decades? You're on a website that follows them closely; does that hurt your style? NASCAR used to be 43 cars per race and they can't fill those spots these days. Someone has to fill spots past #10! I have no idea how well Bubba will do but he's had some good races....did you watch Martinsville earlier this year and there is no tougher track to drive. So his white dad didn't get him into racing until 8 or 9 (fairly early I'd say). One thing is for sure, NASCAR doesn't look as good since 100% female Danica Patrick left it! Bubba's average finish in the Petty 43 car is .7 spots behind former NASCAR champ Bobby Labonte, he's .5 spots ahead of John Andretti, 1.5 spots better than Jeff Green and 1.4 spots ahead of Reed Sorenson in #43.
ciscopack
PossumJenkins said:

Stop...Bubba is not a great driver to be sure but those finishes are in a Petty car. Danica was in race winning equipment. I am not a Bubba fan...and NASCAR has propped him up from a sponsorship perspective to be sure...same way they have Suarez. But i don't think they'll manipulate a race or for sure races...they only do that for Jr.
I'm wondering who said Bubba was a great driver; maybe someone above did but I doubt it? I doubt NASCAR is propping up Mexican Daniel Suarez but he's certainly not doing as well with Gaunt Brothers Racing as he did with Joe Gibbs or Stewart-Hass and yes, he'd still be driving for them if he was winning. The drop makes since...yes? Gaunt ain't as good. I have no idea if Suarrez's rich uncle helped him get in or not, his poor dad did not. No noise on Aric Almirola, he's of Cuban decent.

SupplyChainPack
Wallace literally came up through the "Drive for Diversity" program.

He was given given enormous opportunities, finding, training etc. that he couldn't have dreamed of had he been a white male.

No, no sane person would call him a great driver. In fact, had everything else been exactly the same except for his genetics, you would never have heard of him.

Instead, as a well below average driver, he is propped up and celebrated as much, if not more, than any other driver on the circuit.

He is indeed Danica 2.0.
Steve Williams
Staff
SupplyChainPack said:

He was given given enormous opportunities, finding, training etc. that he couldn't have dreamed of had he been a white male.

No, no sane person would call him a great driver. In fact, had everything else been exactly the same except for his genetics, you would never have heard of him.

Instead, as a well below average driver, he is propped up and celebrated as much, if not more, than any other driver on the circuit.

He is indeed Danica 2.0.

I'm a 43 fan but certainly not a defender of Wallace but the whole Bubba is a bad driver is ridiculous to me. The fact is, we don't really know if he's good or not. He doesn't have the equipment to compete with the other teams. I've noticed that he does seem to do fairly well on Superspeedways but again, put Kyle Busch in Bubba's car and I'd imagine the results would be just slightly better at best.
Pacfanweb
ciscopack said:

Bubba's average finish in the Petty 43 car is .7 spots behind former NASCAR champ Bobby Labonte, he's .5 spots ahead of John Andretti, 1.5 spots better than Jeff Green and 1.4 spots ahead of Reed Sorenson in #43.
First off, I haven't said the guy can't drive at all...but his results compared to Danica not totally dissimilar.

No wins in Cup or Xfinity. Few top 10's. Huge sponsorship that's out of proportion to his results, that's based solely (IMO) on his skin color and what's going on right now.

If that's not "Danica 2.0" I don't know who is. Yeah, he's a better actual DRIVER than she is, but he's still not a great driver that should be pulling in all the publicity and sponsor money that he is.

As far as results in the Petty car go: John Andretti? Bobby Labonte? You're cherry picking THAT far back?
The car and team were TOTALLY different then. Not to mention, RIP Andretti, but he had TWO wins in Cup, ever. Not like Petty had Dale Earnhardt driving for them there. Bobby Labonte was a good driver, but in his 40's by the time he drove for Petty. He hadn't won in 2 years, and never won again afterwards, either.

Why not the last 2 drivers? Because he is roughly 10 spots behind Almirola and Almendinger's average finish in the same car?

That car can win now. Almirola won in it. He had more top 10's in 2 years than Bubba has, period.

I have nothing against the guy, other than the drama queen "noose in the garage" crap, but the comparison with Danica is "has a job and sponsorship more because of his race than ability". And that's accurate.

Wolfer79
ciscopack
Pacfanweb said:

ciscopack said:

Bubba's average finish in the Petty 43 car is .7 spots behind former NASCAR champ Bobby Labonte, he's .5 spots ahead of John Andretti, 1.5 spots better than Jeff Green and 1.4 spots ahead of Reed Sorenson in #43.
First off, I haven't said the guy can't drive at all...but his results compared to Danica not totally dissimilar.

No wins in Cup or Xfinity. Few top 10's. Huge sponsorship that's out of proportion to his results, that's based solely (IMO) on his skin color and what's going on right now.

If that's not "Danica 2.0" I don't know who is. Yeah, he's a better actual DRIVER than she is, but he's still not a great driver that should be pulling in all the publicity and sponsor money that he is.

As far as results in the Petty car go: John Andretti? Bobby Labonte? You're cherry picking THAT far back?
The car and team were TOTALLY different then. Not to mention, RIP Andretti, but he had TWO wins in Cup, ever. Not like Petty had Dale Earnhardt driving for them there. Bobby Labonte was a good driver, but in his 40's by the time he drove for Petty. He hadn't won in 2 years, and never won again afterwards, either.

Why not the last 2 drivers? Because he is roughly 10 spots behind Almirola and Almendinger's average finish in the same car?

That car can win now. Almirola won in it. He had more top 10's in 2 years than Bubba has, period.

I have nothing against the guy, other than the drama queen "noose in the garage" crap, but the comparison with Danica is "has a job and sponsorship more because of his race than ability". And that's accurate.

Dude...the only thing I replied to you about was drag racing....nothing about NASCAR. Yeah I cherry picked some #43 drivers and used facts. Aric A. average finish in #43 were 20, 18.71, 21.44, 17.92, 23.31 in 2016 and 18.79 in 2017; Bubba drove 4 races in 2017 and averaged 17.75 in finishes. Wallaces best year in the #43 is this year at 20.73 to date. #43
ciscopack
I was wondering who possum saw that called Bubba a "great driver"? I must have missed it? Supplychain...obviously doesn't care for NASCAR trying to bring others into the sport. I know a few NASCAR nut friends who don't like it either. After 10th to 12th place.....the rest are mostly fillers anyway...right? I liked seeing Danica at the track and Bubba being there doesn't bother me. There's several black athletes on some of the pit crews; I wonder why? I've watched maybe 2 full races this year, most of probably 2 more and parts of 3-4 more.

I did see most of the Martinsviile race where Bubba ran 2nd to 6th most of the race in the BLM #43 Richard Petty car. That track takes driving. I don't see a Kyle Busch or Kevin Harvick type driver for sure but who knows?

Like Steve is, I used to be a big Richard Petty #43 fan when he was the driver. I listened to MRN when he was 12 laps ahead. He used a '74 Dodge Charger from '74 to '78 and my first car was a '74 Charger, 440, a SE, light blue with a half white vinyl top and a RED '74 national championship plate on the front. I was also a Kyle Petty fan and that was tough times. At 37, I painted my first kart like his Mello Yellow cars but that was too much. I raced a few NASCAR drivers in karts. I was at the first Petty Days in Level Cross; man Richard and Kyle have some permanent smiles on their faces. Dale Inman was in his golf cart across the road. Sat on the porch of the old house and went in the old garages. I also contributed $200 the first year Kyle opened Victory Junction.

I don't pull for anyone these days, I just hope for a good race. To me...the whole race is filler until the last 50 laps. i like they broke them down into different sections with points. What would be even better is if they had 3 different races at every track they go to....maybe 100 laps each but that would cost money with guys trying to win 3 times.

(not my car, mine was just like it. I can't remember...I think mine was blue on top at the front and just had the white SE section? That looks like Keystones?, I had Cragars)
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NASCAR's 2021 schedule announcement has been delayed several times, but it's looking like this will be the week when at least the first chunk comes out, per sources.

Reasons for the delay included talks over the potential Bristol dirt race and the number of one-day shows. https://t.co/TvQQeAiuyK
Wolfer79
Same race, same place.
New time, new TV.

@NASCARonFOX announces the October @NASCAR_Trucks race at Kansas Speedway moves to Saturday, Oct. 17, at 4:00 PM ET on FOX. https://t.co/L4W1qEze8u
Steve Williams
Staff
Wolfer79 said:

Same race, same place.
New time, new TV.

@NASCARonFOX announces the October @NASCAR_Trucks race at Kansas Speedway moves to Saturday, Oct. 17, at 4:00 PM ET on FOX. https://t.co/L4W1qEze8u
Wolfer this is as good a time as any to just say thanks for all the info you share (across our website). I literally come to this thread for most of my racing info.
ciscopack
Steve Williams said:

SupplyChainPack said:

He is indeed Danica 2.0.

I'm a 43 fan but certainly not a defender of Wallace but the whole Bubba is a bad driver is ridiculous to me. The fact is, we don't really know if he's good or not. He doesn't have the equipment to compete with the other teams. I've noticed that he does seem to do fairly well on Superspeedways but again, put Kyle Busch in Bubba's car and I'd imagine the results would be just slightly better at best.
Damn Steve....you were 21 or 22 when I first listened to your recruiting spill at the Wolfpacker? I figured you were at least 60 now because you did a really good job then of learning how recruiting was going...with Scott. When were you in the Marines...18-21?
Pacfanweb
ciscopack said:

Pacfanweb said:

ciscopack said:

PossumJenkins said:

I'll guess this will do a little better than Mike's ownership BB teams; Bubba's driving has been pretty good lately. I don't keep up with it greatly or watch every race. I assume they'll be a satellite team for one of the biggies...like Gibbs? They've got to have the engines and engineering to compete but Denny and Bubba know that....gotta have a good crew too.

Down at Galot this week....for those that don't know.....the old Dunn-Benson Dragstrip is no longer. The nicest dragstrip maybe in the nation is just a few miles past the Char Grill just off Inst. 95! I remember coming here when they were closed probably 30 years ago and me and my cousin were thinking about buying or renting it. It had weeds 5 feet high. My cousins had been telling me about it but this was my first time back and it's outstanding.....35 minutes or so from Raleigh. I talked to the owner last week....man he's put a lot of good thinking in it. He has a great crew of workers too. Today's $100,000 to the winner is rained out of course, maybe we can get back out there tomorrow? Next week....Thunder Valley in Bristol, TN... for the K&N Spring Fling.

I have an old Chevy drag truck that I've been working on getting back on the track. Went down the track at Benson many a time. Piedmont, Roxboro, Kinston, Brewers, Fayetteville and Sanford as well.
This was at Piedmont.
There are several newer tracks now, too, within an hour or so of Raleigh.

I've been to all those many times and most of the big tracks east of the Mississippi. My cousin used to work for Harold Denton way back and I'd help out when I went....first guy on a naturally aspirated engine over 200MPH, 1st to run in the 7's and 6's in a quarter mile (Pro Stock). He was a country boy on a shoe string budget....no backing and he could hold his own. He out drove them all (pro stock). He gave me a big old zoom lens when I took a picture of him wearing Warren Johnson out off the line. Ronnie Sox, Ricky Smith, Bob Gliden, Lee Shepard....Harold was the better driver without money or backing those guys had. Harold was getting old in racing and we were at Rockingham one time long ago and Harold was working on his old wore out Ford Mustang. A guy beside us had this big rig and a new car and a tool box about the size of a shoe box and a bunch of drunks hanging around; the guy did not even have a timing light. Harold could hear that his car was off in tuning and he went over introduced himself and asked could he help him with the car. He did and the car got much better and he made the field. When we were leaving after the race the guy stopped us and he handed Harold an envelope...it had $1000 in it. A little later, the guy called old man Harold to ask him to drive his car. He did and then Jim Ruth bought IHRA.

If you have not been to Galot since it became that.....you need to go. Great track.....better track than Charlotte. The first 330' is heated and cooled underneath and ran by some hard workers! The W/speed displays are big HD screens.....beautiful. I talked to the owner last week.... nice man, a country boy who did well for himself; his daughter runs the track.

Galot

I just saw this after you yelled at me about responding to your Nascar thread, lol.

I remember Harold Denton well. He is from Spring Hope. Remember the Party Time cars. Saw a pic of him a year or two ago, seems like. He was in a wheel chair or a scooter.
Bob Harris' son Boone runs a Pro Mod and they named it Party Time in Harold's honor. Bob is a pretty legendary bracket racer who bought Piedmont in the 90's and really improved it. It was the nicest local track by far until Benson was bought and totally leveled and rebuilt by Earl Wells, who made a fortune in the concrete business.
My Dad talked to Harold briefly about buying one of his old 500" engines back in the 80's for the truck I now have, but never did it.
I will race down at Galot (which stands for Get A Load Of This) when I get it back running.

Hoping to show up with a few more cubes under the hood than the old 427 that's in it now.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NASCAR is expanding its work with Urban Youth Racing School, and several industry people were in Philly for a visit two weeks ago, including @StevePhelps, Kyle Larson and GM/Chevy exec Jim Campbell, per sources.

This comes amid heavy chatter about Larson eyeing a comeback. https://t.co/GezeiCw0BC
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Suspended #NASCAR driver Kyle Larson is eyeing a return to the Cup Series as soon as possible, after having been indefinitely suspended after being caught using a racial slur during an exhibition iRacing event (@A_S12).

Free to read: https://t.co/j4dii2moib
ciscopack
Pacfanweb said:

ciscopack said:

Pacfanweb said:

ciscopack said:

PossumJenkins said:

Down at Galot this week....for those that don't know.....the old Dunn-Benson Dragstrip is no longer. The nicest dragstrip maybe in the nation is just a few miles past the Char Grill just off Inst. 95! I remember coming here when they were closed probably 30 years ago and me and my cousin were thinking about buying or renting it. It had weeds 5 feet high. My cousins had been telling me about it but this was my first time back and it's outstanding.....35 minutes or so from Raleigh. I talked to the owner last week....man he's put a lot of good thinking in it. He has a great crew of workers too. Today's $100,000 to the winner is rained out of course, maybe we can get back out there tomorrow? Next week....Thunder Valley in Bristol, TN... for the K&N Spring Fling.

I have an old Chevy drag truck that I've been working on getting back on the track. Went down the track at Benson many a time. Piedmont, Roxboro, Kinston, Brewers, Fayetteville and Sanford as well.
This was at Piedmont.
There are several newer tracks now, too, within an hour or so of Raleigh.

I've been to all those many times and most of the big tracks east of the Mississippi. My cousin used to work for Harold Denton way back and I'd help out when I went....first guy on a naturally aspirated engine over 200MPH, 1st to run in the 7's and 6's in a quarter mile (Pro Stock). He was a country boy on a shoe string budget....no backing and he could hold his own. He out drove them all (pro stock). He gave me a big old zoom lens when I took a picture of him wearing Warren Johnson out off the line. Ronnie Sox, Ricky Smith, Bob Gliden, Lee Shepard....Harold was the better driver without money or backing those guys had. Harold was getting old in racing and we were at Rockingham one time long ago and Harold was working on his old wore out Ford Mustang. A guy beside us had this big rig and a new car and a tool box about the size of a shoe box and a bunch of drunks hanging around; the guy did not even have a timing light. Harold could hear that his car was off in tuning and he went over introduced himself and asked could he help him with the car. He did and the car got much better and he made the field. When we were leaving after the race the guy stopped us and he handed Harold an envelope...it had $1000 in it. A little later, the guy called old man Harold to ask him to drive his car. He did and then Jim Ruth bought IHRA.

If you have not been to Galot since it became that.....you need to go. Great track.....better track than Charlotte. The first 330' is heated and cooled underneath and ran by some hard workers! The W/speed displays are big HD screens.....beautiful. I talked to the owner last week.... nice man, a country boy who did well for himself; his daughter runs the track.

Galot

I just saw this after you yelled at me about responding to your Nascar thread, lol.

I remember Harold Denton well. He is from Spring Hope. Remember the Party Time cars. Saw a pic of him a year or two ago, seems like. He was in a wheel chair or a scooter.
Bob Harris' son Boone runs a Pro Mod and they named it Party Time in Harold's honor. Bob is a pretty legendary bracket racer who bought Piedmont in the 90's and really improved it. It was the nicest local track by far until Benson was bought and totally leveled and rebuilt by Earl Wells, who made a fortune in the concrete business.
My Dad talked to Harold briefly about buying one of his old 500" engines back in the 80's for the truck I now have, but never did it.
I will race down at Galot (which stands for Get A Load Of This) when I get it back running.

Hoping to show up with a few more cubes under the hood than the old 427 that's in it now.
Piedmont's a nice track! The cousin I was talking about; his son ran junior dragsters there years ago...as their home track. He won a NHRA Wally at Indianapolis I think?...when his home track was Piedmont.

Harold's a good guy. He's not doing well health wise and I haven't seen him in a while; his wife died a little while back. I think 2 sons still run the garage in Spring Hope and another works at the Auction near Goldsboro? Harold used to have a garage when he was still racing in Pilot, down the road from T&W used cars/BC Williams (where Rick Hendrick and Mike Leith picked up ideas on selling used cars). Harold lives in Samaria and has a Middlesex address; the business shop is in Spring Hope. His small race shop was behind his house. Harold raced some 500 cu. in. races (NHRA) but he liked Mountain Motors of IHRA better.
Wolfer79
Sports Business Journal

#NASCAR plans to release its entire '21 schedule tomorrow, following several delays in recent weeks, and it is expected to be a massive shakeup from this season's schedule (@A_S12).
https://t.co/oy4qeshUJa https://t.co/9Ledv7EphH
Wolfer79
Chad Knaus, who has won 82 Cup races & 7 Cup titles, leaving pit box but not Hendrick as he moves to HMS VP of Competition after the season. He will oversee crew chiefs, pit crews, engineering, fabrication, assembly and competition staff. William Byron's 2021 crew chief TBA.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NBCSN earned a 1.15 rating and 1.97 million viewers (TV only) for Sunday's @SouthPointLV 400 at Las Vegas, down from a 1.4 and 2.38 million last year, as NASCAR deals with heavy competition.

Meanwhile, ESPN2 got a 0.31 and 517K for @F1 race from Russia, basically flat YOY. https://t.co/HYgCXdDPwh
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

@ChicagolndSpdwy will lose its annual @NASCAR Cup Series race in 2021, per sources, as part of the schedule shakeup that will be formally announced tomorrow. https://t.co/7ldAVUimgz
ncsupack1
Wow. Hope this isn't permanent.
Wolfer79
NEWS: Chicagoland Speedway and Kentucky Speedway will NOT be on the 2021 Cup Series schedule, NASCAR confirms to @TheAthleticAUTO https://t.co/K4RDV5Xnan
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

NEWS: Chicagoland Speedway and Kentucky Speedway will NOT be on the 2021 Cup Series schedule, NASCAR confirms to @TheAthleticAUTO https://t.co/K4RDV5Xnan

Add Kentucky to this I believe...not a fan.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

First schedule announcement of the day: Atlanta Motor Speedway confirms that it will get a second NASCAR Cup weekend in 2021. https://t.co/rEbzTFwfu6
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

Darlington is back to two @NASCAR Cup Series weekends in 2021. https://t.co/mNY8NOmM63
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

The Brickyard 400 will be held on @IMS' road course for the first time in '21 as part of NASCAR Cup/IndyCar doubleheader in mid August.

@JDouglas4: "We know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS." https://t.co/IhzNhR0uAE
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@COTA is confirmed: the NASCAR Cup Series will visit the Austin venue for the first time in May 2021.

Speedway Motorsports is expected to be the sanctioned promoter of the event, per sources. https://t.co/48uv33VHN2
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@MattDRacing said that he expects news on his status for 2021 this week, but while an announcement hasn't been made yet, industry execs are increasingly doubtful that he will be extended at Wood Brothers Racing.

@AustinCindric is waiting in the wings if the change is made. https://t.co/Q1XOXWLPpz
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

@RoadAmerica is confirmed for the 2021 NASCAR Cup Series calendar, with a 4th of July weekend date. https://t.co/iOP1e26N2B

Just as Speedway Motorsports will rent @COTA and promote that race, @NASCAR will be the sanctioned promoter of the new Cup Series weekend @RoadAmerica, per sources.

This will help NASCAR and SM recoup the TV dollars they lost by dropping races at Chicagoland and Texas. https://t.co/A3nVvp6fOe
Wolfer79
ncsupack1
Lots to go over, but overall I like.
WarrenPeace
The Bristol dirt. Is that an actual Cup Series race?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.