NASCAR 2020/2021

79,255 Views | 1160 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seven-time #NASCAR Cup Series champion @JimmieJohnson has signed with @CGRTeams, with the intention of a two-year #IndyCar programme if the partnership can raise funding:

https://t.co/VSNzH134Yt
ncsupack1
Good for him. I know that this something that he has wanted to do.
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series
ToyotaCare 250, Richmond Raceway, Richmond, VA
Race FS1, 7:30 p.m.

NASCAR Race Hub FS1, 6 p.m.
NASCAR RaceDay: Richmond FS1, 7 p.m.

Wolfer79
ncsupack1 said:

Lot of land to develop...heard that NASCAR could pay off the lone by just redeveloping the unused land.

too long to cut and paste each tweet by Mr Ryan

Steve Williams
Staff
Wolfer79 said:

NASCAR

Is that today?
Wolfer79
Steve Williams said:

Wolfer79 said:

NASCAR

Is that today?

yes
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Williams said:

Wolfer79 said:

NASCAR

Is that today?
According to the schedule on nascar.com, yes, it is today.
Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

Interesting.

Wonder if those recent new sponsorships go with him or stay with Petty Motorsports?

Will also be interesting to see who ends up in the 43 car. I have a feeling Wallace already has a job lined up.
Steve Williams
Staff
I'm guessing the sponsorship goes with Wallace. Maybe RPM can get Erik Jones.
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

Interesting.

Wonder if those recent new sponsorships go with him or stay with Petty Motorsports?

Will also be interesting to see who ends up in the 43 car. I have a feeling Wallace already has a job lined up.

I found it interesting that most of the agreements mentioned personal services contract, which makes me think they go with Wallace
Wolfer79
the nerd in me likes this

NASCAR tested out the proposed Auto Club Speedway short track on iRacing first and it worked. @Jordan_Bianchi has more on this here: https://t.co/sBURSge3Pa
TraCha4
NASCAR is about sponsorships and marketability. From a sponsorship standpoint BW is hot right now. Those sponsorships go with him. So it's not surprising that he now decides to leave Petty. Behind the scenes the sponsorship commitments have opened the door for BW to get in a better ride and equipment not his driving.
Wolfer79
NASCAR went up against the Kentucky Derby last weekend and came up second best, although it still beat its own year-on-year numberswith some qualification.

The NASCAR Cup Series throwback race averaged a 1.37 Nielsen rating and 2.4 million household viewers Sunday on NBCSN, while the horses were galloping to a 4.79/9.3m average on NBC on Saturday night. That's up from a 1.14 rating and 1.9 million viewers for Darlington last year on NBCSN, although that race was delayed by rain for an extended period.

Like last year, the NASCAR Xfinity Series race at Darlington was on NBC Saturday afternoon, and averaged a 0.73 rating and 1.2m viewers, compared to a 1.06/1.7m in 2019.

NASCAR's Gander Outdoors and RV Truck Series race at Darlington averaged a 0.34 and 595,000 on FS1.
ncsupack1
Steve Williams said:

I'm guessing the sponsorship goes with Wallace. Maybe RPM can get Erik Jones.

I think Jones goes to the 88 and Bowman goes to the 48...I also see BW going to the 42...but who knows that's what is fun...
Wolfer79
Sports Media Watch

A playoff race for the first time, and against far different competition than a year ago, NASCAR at Darlington scored a solid ratings bump over last year's late night edition.

Last Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series playoff race at Darlington (SC) averaged a 1.4 rating and 2.43 million viewers on NBCSN, up 27% in ratings and 31% in viewership from last year's race, which began after 10 PM ET due to rain (1.1, 1.86M) but down a tick and 9% respectively from 2018 (1.5, 2.66M).

This year's race was the first of the NASCAR playoffs. Prior to this year, Darlington served as the final race of the regular season. Last year's first playoff race the Brickyard 400 aired on the NBC broadcast network and averaged a 1.9 and 2.97 million.

Sports Media Watch
Home Ratings NASCAR Darlington ratings rebound from last year's late night low

NASCAR Darlington ratings rebound from last year's late night low
by Paulsen 3 mins ago
NASCAR Darlington ratings rebound from last year's late night low
A playoff race for the first time, and against far different competition than a year ago, NASCAR at Darlington scored a solid ratings bump over last year's late night edition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series playoff race at Darlington (SC) averaged a 1.4 rating and 2.43 million viewers on NBCSN, up 27% in ratings and 31% in viewership from last year's race, which began after 10 PM ET due to rain (1.1, 1.86M) but down a tick and 9% respectively from 2018 (1.5, 2.66M).

This year's race was the first of the NASCAR playoffs. Prior to this year, Darlington served as the final race of the regular season. Last year's first playoff race the Brickyard 400 aired on the NBC broadcast network and averaged a 1.9 and 2.97 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Harvick's win ranks as the most-watched Cup Series race on NBCSN since the network's season premiere at Texas in mid-July (2.73M).

It also ranks second out of the three Darlington races this season, behind NASCAR's highly-rated return from hiatus on May 17 (3.7, 6.32M), but ahead of the midweek race that followed three days later (1.2, 2.09M).

Going back further, it tops only that midweek race and last year's rain-delayed edition as the lowest rated at the track since at least 1999 and the least-watched since at least 2001.

After four-straight years airing opposite primetime college football games, Darlington instead faced an NBA playoff game on ABC (Rockets-Lakers: 2.9, 5.43M) and a Stanley Cup playoff game on NBC (Stars-Golden Knights: 0.9, 1.64M).

While the NBA and NHL combined to outpace last year's competing Houston-Oklahoma college football game (3.0, 5.44M), this year's head-to-head was still more favorable for NASCAR. It is generally thought that the NASCAR audience overlaps more with college football than with basketball or hockey.
ncsupack1
Not too bad. All I know is that last years race sucks.....was there and it rained for ever.....much better weather this year.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
.@BubbaWallace's destination for next year is not yet clear; he has had talks with Chip Ganassi, but industry rumors regarding @DennyHamlin trying to set up a new Toyota-powered team also persist.

Hamlin had been in talks to buy a minority stake in RPM, per people familiar.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey
Given the two drivers' history, Kyle Larson and Darrell Wallace both driving cars for Denny Hamiln would be interesting, to say the least.
PossumJenkins
Bubba's got $20 mil he's toting around but he's asking for $5mil of it in salary. That's part of what's taken so long.
ncsupack1
I would think Bubba has already signed with someone. Don't see him leaving one team before signing with another. Maybe I'm missing something.
Wolfer79
ncsupack1 said:

I would think Bubba has already signed with someone. Don't see him leaving one team before signing with another. Maybe I'm missing something.

RPM could have set a deadline so they have time to look for another driver?
Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

ncsupack1 said:

RPM could have set a deadline so they have time to look for another driver?
For Petty to do that makes more sense. And who knows, perhaps Wallace has (behind the scenes) pissed off a few more people than just the fans and is wearing a Kapernickesque label to some degree? Given the ****show year 2020 has been, I figure any and everything is possible.
ncsupack1
Got ya....i was having a hard time understanding the statement. I'm also interested to see where Bubba goes...Dave Moody who seems to have a lot of contacts, was hinting that were Bubba goes may not be the obvious, but who knows.
Wolfer79
Race tonight is 730 start on NBCSN

ESPN has Rockets vs Lakers game 5 at 8pm

ABC has Clemson vs Wake Forest at 730

Fox has Astros vs Dodgers at 8

NBC has Golden Knights vs Stars at 8pm

the families of the drivers may be only ones watching
caryking
Wolfer79 said:

Race tonight is 730 start on NBCSN - YES

ESPN has Rockets vs Lakers game 5 at 8pm - NO

ABC has Clemson vs Wake Forest at 730 -YES

Fox has Astros vs Dodgers at 8 - NO

NBC has Golden Knights vs Stars at 8pm - NO
I identified my rotation for tonight above...
ncsupack1
Decent race last night. The 3 car has looked good and the 12 car has just went bad. NASCAR and GoodYear need to figure out a tire for Richmond. Lot of racing this weekend for no rubber to be laid down.
Steve Williams
Staff
When was the last race that was completely caution free?
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@Geico is planning to leave @GermainRacing after '20 as part of a shift away from team sponsorship, and Germain is for sale, as @BobPockrass earlier reported.

Expected bidders/interested groups for Germain include @DennyHamlin, @TMTRacing50 and @JustinMarksDG, per sources.

Wolfer79
I did know NASCAR had a YouTube channel

Kyle Long will be hosting a weekly show with Paul Swan on NASCAR's YouTube channel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.