2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

108,465 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by JCooke93
pack2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, yes- I know our season isn't over. BUT the portal is already moving at a decent pace with players entering and already making decisions (saw South Carolina picked up a commit today) which prompted me to make this thread. There was also a couple cryptic messages here in the Pack9 recruiting thread saying we may lose a big piece.

IMO the top priority is to keep (in almost order). These are freshmen/sophs only.

Fritton, Cozart, Peebles, Serrano, Marcy, Green, Shaffner, Gupton, Nixon.

Players that will likely have a decision to make that would be welcomed back (IMO)- This is whether its an eligibility/draft thing or usage rate.

Harrison, Willadsen, Highfill, Soles, Trice, Lawson, Rio Britton, Carson Kelly

Again, I don't want to jump the gun and HOPE this team can play its way on the bubble with a sweep this weekend and winning a game or two next weekend, but the portal never sleeps
metcalfmafia
No inside info, but I'm worried about Peebles.
Glasswolf
Gupton. Keep an eye on him. Sources are saying he's not thrilled about not playing. Not sold on Green. Peebles will get his $$ from us. Will others top us is the question. Fritton seems safe.
wilmwolf
I wouldn't be super shocked if Green wanted a fresh start somewhere. Anyone not playing is always a candidate to leave. I'm more interested in who we'll bring in than who we'll lose. I accept that you're going to lose guys, but we've also brought in some really good players over the years, so I know we'll restock.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
Glasswolf said:

Gupton. Keep an eye on him. Sources are saying he's not thrilled about not playing. Not sold on Green. Peebles will get his $$ from us. Will others top us is the question. Fritton seems safe.

Good news is CF is wide open for Gup to take control of if he wants it.

I do think we're recruiting a JUCO CF that won his conference's DPOY. He's 6'3 200 and can move. No idea the details, if there are any. Ha
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
pack2010
wilmwolf80 said:

I wouldn't be super shocked if Green wanted a fresh start somewhere. Anyone not playing is always a candidate to leave. I'm more interested in who we'll bring in than who we'll lose. I accept that you're going to lose guys, but we've also brought in some really good players over the years, so I know we'll restock.

I like PG but not at SS. He still has a bunch of tools, probably the best athlete on the team behind Gupton. Can't see Avent giving him a 3rd try at SS, though.

As for Gupton, I would get it. Wish he would develop his tools in Raleigh, but nothing is guaranteed and he might want something that is a little more sure regarding PT. Fingers crossed he decides to stay.

Going to need to need atleast 5-6 portal pitchers, IMO. And hope we catch a break draft wise with Mako and/or Maroudis, although both are unlikely.
castlewood107
Sam and Matt W can return if they want -- that's good.

I dont see either getting drafted in a 20-round draft -- maybe Sam if the medical somehow clears. If we could NIL them to stay, that has to pay more than an UDFA minor deal right?
PKAwolfpacker
Could be a wild off-season. It will be interesting seeing how much other schools have invested in NIL for baseball. State needs to try to hold what it has and upgrade where it can. Last season's transfer class, in hindsight, was no bueno. Very few upgrades there.
Alex Gee
Staff
PKAwolfpacker said:

Could be a wild off-season. It will be interesting seeing how much other schools have invested in NIL for baseball. State needs to try to hold what it has and upgrade where it can. Last season's transfer class, in hindsight, was no bueno. Very few upgrades there.
Transfers in college baseball are interesting to investigate. Our class was ranked 11th. I personally thought that with incoming guys (Trice, Candelaria, Nolan specifically) that we would be better in the aggregate than TW was. Turns out he and Skenes were two of the suprisingly few examples of truly game changing transfers in terms of big time production at their new schools.

I don't think anybody would have guessed that Harrison would be the guy that probably has performed the best of our transfer class. Trice has barely played in a meaningful moment the last month. Nolan is a defensive replacement. Britton is an arm to burn in a midweek or a semi-blowout on the weekends. All of those guys were expected to be high level contrbutors. Heck, Trice was projected to get drafted higher than Groover in the pre-season. I think we upgraded with TC, but nobody else has contributed to the set expectations in which they were thought to be upgrades.

Our best newcomers by far have been the freshman. I wonder if that will continue to be true going forward. And not just at NC State.
pack2010
Just a FYI, but nc state IG showed a senior day graphic and had Highfill, whitaker, Nolan and candelaria listed.

I assumed a couple more guys would be on there, but they could be telling about highfills future. Not always, but something to keep in mind.
FLWolf
FSU is going to go after a lot of people-they have some $$ also
metcalfmafia
So what's the deal with Gupton not playing? I get having experience in front of him, but he can't even get a pinch run as one of the fastest guys in the college baseball.
wilmwolf
metcalfmafia said:

So what's the deal with Gupton not playing? I get having experience in front of him, but he can't even get a pinch run as one of the fastest guys in the college baseball.

We haven't had many pinch run opportunities in the latter part of the season that I can remember. Probably also the guys you'd normally run for on this squad are guys you don't really want to take out of the game, like Cozart for example. That's just my guess.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pack2010
something to think about regarding Peebles- do you think playing DH/another position next year could sway his decision? He might want to get some run defensively next year to help his draft stock.
Alex Gee
Staff
pack2010 said:

something to think about regarding Peebles- do you think playing DH/another position next year could sway his decision? He might want to get some run defensively next year to help his draft stock.

I think the staff will at least look into a corner outfield spot for him. Serrano at 1st at 6'5 has been an advantage defensively, so even though he can play outfield, I can't imagine trying Peebles there at 5'11 for the sake of moving Eli to the OF.
JCooke93
It's going to be interesting
JCooke93
They are currently looking at some juco Outfielders
Beachbum3
When does next phase of renovation begin?
FLWolf
I bet you FSU brings in 10+

A lot of guys are leaving
JCooke93
Talking about leaving fsu ?
Glasswolf
JCooke93 said:

Talking about leaving fsu ?
Complete overhaul. Not along the lines of what Prime did at Colorado but in baseball terms, close.
JCooke93
Wow
pack2010
Watching some of the vandy/auburn game right now and after watching Enrique bradfield play (sp), all I have to say is please stay Gupton. What a difference maker speed is
metcalfmafia
pack2010 said:

Watching some of the vandy/auburn game right now and after watching Enrique bradfield play (sp), all I have to say is please stay Gupton. What a difference maker speed is
I assume his bat still needs to catch up?
SportManagementEngineer
pack2010 said:

I worked with Bradfield's father at Miami. Speed is great but I'm not sure that Gupton will ever have Bradfield's bat.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
pack2010
SportManagementEngineer said:

pack2010 said:

I worked with Bradfield's father at Miami. Speed is great but I'm not sure that Gupton will ever have Bradfield's bat.

oh i agree. but if gupton can put the ball in play 70% of the time, he can make things happen.
pack2010
metcalfmafia said:

pack2010 said:

I assume his bat still needs to catch up?

seems that way
pack2010
just more random thoughts-

seems like the staff is really high on Heavner. could see him taking over 2nd or 3rd next year. I believe I have heard he can really handle the bat too (JT jarrett type, hopefully a little more pop). not sure you recruit over him, but of course who knows.

win scott is another interesting one. i think he was going to have a pretty big role this year. granted it was a blow out, you have to remember he got hurt the first game of the season. that tells me the staff wanted to get an early look at him.
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

seems like the staff is really high on Heavner. could see him taking over 2nd or 3rd next year. I believe I have heard he can really handle the bat too (JT jarrett type, hopefully a little more pop). not sure you recruit over him, but of course who knows.

win scott is another interesting one. i think he was going to have a pretty big role this year. granted it was a blow out, you have to remember he got hurt the first game of the season. that tells me the staff wanted to get an early look at him.
Hart loves Matt. Kid hit around .500 as a senior so he can swing it. I didn't realize that he committed as a FR in HS.

Win needs to get in the 91-93 range, IMO, but next year is his 3rd so don't know if we see that jump. Would love for he and Miralia to be legit situational guys.

I hope Rio comes back. He's been pretty good over the last month and we see what he can do when he throws strikes. He was good tonight but he got the sht squeezed out of him. I feel bad for Rio for having to deal with that sht strike zone.

There's so much JUCO talent floating around out there right now I hope Hart, Chrysler and BoRob are on'em. Only 42 JUCO kids were drafted last year (47 the year before). That's it. Go find some dudes.

*Speaking of dudes and JUCO...Trey Truitt resurfaced at Gaston College and hit .319 with 15 bombs, 65 RBI and 18 SBs. Here's a lil blurb from PBR:
" Trey Truitt, OF; physical 6-foot-2, 207 pounds, powerful left-handed hitter, fast hands with inherent strength that he gets to efficiently, slugged .645 this season with 15 homers, 56:30 BB:K, also stole 18 bases." Gaston College has made the NJCAA College World Series in Grand Junction.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Hart loves Matt. Kid hit around .500 as a senior so he can swing it. I didn't realize that he committed as a FR in HS.

Win needs to get in the 91-93 range, IMO, but next year is his 3rd so don't know if we see that jump. Would love for he and Miralia to be legit situational guys.

I hope Rio comes back. He's been pretty good over the last month and we see what he can do when he throws strikes. He was good tonight but he got the sht squeezed out of him. I feel bad for Rio for having to deal with that sht strike zone.

There's so much JUCO talent floating around out there right now I hope Hart, Chrysler and BoRob are on'em. Only 42 JUCO kids were drafted last year (47 the year before). That's it. Go find some dudes.

*Speaking of dudes and JUCO...Trey Truitt resurfaced at Gaston College and hit .319 with 15 bombs, 65 RBI and 18 SBs. Here's a lil blurb from PBR:
" Trey Truitt, OF; physical 6-foot-2, 207 pounds, powerful left-handed hitter, fast hands with inherent strength that he gets to efficiently, slugged .645 this season with 15 homers, 56:30 BB:K, also stole 18 bases." Gaston College has made the NJCAA College World Series in Grand Junction.

Complete agree on Win, being through his second season, we have barely seen what he can do. IF he can add a couple ticks of velo, he might have something. Britton, I agree. Would love to have him back- he has been good recently.

Good ol Trey Truitt. He has a legit power/speed combo. Always wondered what could have happened with him. Seems like injuries didn't help him out in Raleigh. As well as Trendon Craig. That was a kick in the nuts when he got drafted in round 20 and signed. LOVE his potential
JCooke93
Ugh
FLWolf
We have to improve our infield D-we are bad all around

Cosart needs some work behind the plate also

With that, we aren't that far off as I do expect us to make the NCAAs
Alex Gee
Staff
FLWolf said:

Cozart is widely considered one of the best defensive catchers in the country.
Packsd14me
Alex Gee said:

FLWolf said:

Cozart is widely considered one of the best defensive catchers in the country.

But, he is worrying about framing pitches more than handling them softly. He missed balls last night he should have caught. He can be really good but he has room for improvement.
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

As an old middle infielder, I like Matt a lot, too. In think he can be an anchor for us on defense. He has soft hands and great feet. Not sure he has the arm for SS. That home run in the last home game shows he has a little pop in his bat. I think he has a bright future.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.