2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

110,278 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PKAwolfpacker said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

burn it down. lol

Seriously. What's the point of trying to keep doing this when we can't keep our top talent? First tommy white, now cannon.

No idea how to remedy this, but the last 2 years have been an absolute disaster in terms of transfers in/out

The way you remedy it is you bring in more/better than you lose, but so far we have no evidence that Avent and co. Can do that. This program is pathetic. We need a new direction and new coaches.

Pathetic? Jesus that's a bit agro, no? Haha
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
Hm
Colonel Armstrong
I think it actually makes a lot of sense for Cannon to transfer. It sucks but Cozart is a very productive catcher
Formerly King Leary
wilmwolf
My God, some of y'all are ****ing insufferable with the hyperbole. I hate losing good players too, but jeez. We only ever lose talent and never bring in any? We lost the best freshman in the country last year, one of the best hitters ever, and actually improved at hitting as a team this year. This staff found Peebles in the first place, how many people before the season thought he was going to break out like he did? We can pull up the threads, but I don't recall many.

Baseball has always been a revolving door of talent, between the draft and transfers, and it's only going to be worse in the NIL era. Yeah, we can replace the staff, but you can go hire Joe Torre and it won't matter if you don't back it up with money. Open up your checkbook and write the check. The boosters at LSU aren't saying "So what do I get with my donation? Exactly which player does this go to? Can I get more specifics?" like our fans do, they just give them the cash with no questions attached and let them go buy the best team they can get. Our staff has dug diamonds from the rough forever, but if we want to keep them, you've got pony up. It sucks, but that's the way it is in every sport now.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ClePack
wilmwolf80 said:

My God, some of y'all are ****ing insufferable with the hyperbole. I hate losing good players too, but jeez. We only ever lose talent and never bring in any? We lost the best freshman in the country last year, one of the best hitters ever, and actually improved at hitting as a team this year. This staff found Peebles in the first place, how many people before the season thought he was going to break out like he did? We can pull up the threads, but I don't recall many.

Baseball has always been a revolving door of talent, between the draft and transfers, and it's only going to be worse in the NIL era. Yeah, we can replace the staff, but you can go hire Joe Torre and it won't matter if you don't back it up with money. Open up your checkbook and write the check. The boosters at LSU aren't saying "So what do I get with my donation? Exactly which player does this go to? Can I get more specifics?" like our fans do, they just give them the cash with no questions attached and let them go buy the best team they can get. Our staff has dug diamonds from the rough forever, but if we want to keep them, you've got pony up. It sucks, but that's the way it is in every sport now.

Again, I don't think these 2 transfers have anything to do with money (could be wrong, but as I've said, I've heard stories of tommy from parents of players why he left and we have yet to know why cannon is leaving). To me it just seems like a total roster mismanagement. You can pay a kid a ton of money, but they all want to play and have a chance to get drafted.

I think using NIL as a scapegoat here is a bit unfair.
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Again, I don't think these 2 transfers have anything to do with money (could be wrong, but as I've said, I've heard stories of tommy from parents of players why he left and we have yet to know why cannon is leaving). To me it just seems like a total roster mismanagement. You can pay a kid a ton of money, but they all want to play and have a chance to get drafted.

Roster mismanagement? Lol

How you figure? We had Cozy in the fold don't bring in Peebles? Wut?
wilmwolf
I mean, how many games did Peebles play in? How many awards and how much recognition did he get for his play? He was not lacking in opportunity. Cozart is one of the best defensive catchers in the country, and Peebles is not. We maximized both of their abilities IMO. And Tommy White and his people can say he only left because he wanted to play third until they're blue in the face, but he went to the school spending more money on NIL than any other school in baseball. If he transferred to Gardner Webb to play third, then I'd believe that was his only motivation, but dude got paid and good for him.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WolfpackBrooks
Hate to lose his bat but he's not half the catcher Cozy is and there is NO way he can play 3rd base, watched him take infield at the Regional and it was really really bad, even posted that if that was the plan he will need a ton of work. At the end of the day these kids have loyalty to only money and hopefully we can find a couple of dudes to replace what we are losing. Baseball will always be won on the mound with great defense and smart hitting. Personally would rather have a .330 hitter who hits 6 HRs and has an OBP of +.400 than a guy who hits 30 hr while batting .220 with a .250 OBP but that's just me
matracey
I don't get it. We were a below average defensive team and an above average hitting team and some wanted us to play the worse defenders?

They literally created a position called a DH so you don't have to choose between a good hitter and a good defensive player. You can have both!

Coaches can't coach so players don't leave the next year. They coach to give them the best chance at winning in the current year.
ClePack
wilmwolf80 said:

I mean, how many games did Peebles play in? How many awards and how much recognition did he get for his play? He was not lacking in opportunity. Cozart is one of the best defensive catchers in the country, and Peebles is not. We maximized both of their abilities IMO. And Tommy White and his people can say he only left because he wanted to play third until they're blue in the face, but he went to the school spending more money on NIL than any other school in baseball. If he transferred to Gardner Webb to play third, then I'd believe that was his only motivation, but dude got paid and good for him.

Cozart led the league in passed balls, by a large margin iirc. He wasn't buster posey back there. You're correct that we did balance their strengths well, but at the end of the day, Peebles wants to play catcher and he's going to go somewhere where he will be allowed to do that. I just wish we could have worked him in a bit more, especially on weekends.

As for tommy, idk, maybe we'll never know, but I've heard conflicting rumors. I think that if Avent would have stuck with him at third, he'd still be here. Again, we'll never know.

As I told CLT, none of this matters if we can bounce back, but it doesn't look good. Idk if we have a staff cut out for this new transfer era. We haven't exactly knocked it out of the park with the transfers we've brought in, aside from groover.

But my main point is I don't think NIL was the reason for this.
JCooke93
It's going to be fine
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Check my response to wilmy wolf. Cozart wasn't god behind the plate. He had his own flaws and Peebles deserved more of a chance imo
Alex Gee
Staff
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Check my response to wilmy wolf. Cozart wasn't god behind the plate. He had his own flaws and Peebles deserved more of a chance imo

This is a wild take, my man.
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Stop. No one said he was god but he was definitely better defensively and your made up nonsense won't change that fact. Lol
ClePack
Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

How so?
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Stop. No one said he was god but he was definitely better defensively and your made up nonsense won't change that fact. Lol

What's made up...?
Borowolf10

Goat
kmb717
matracey
ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Cozart led the league in passed balls, by a large margin iirc. He wasn't buster posey back there. You're correct that we did balance their strengths well, but at the end of the day, Peebles wants to play catcher and he's going to go somewhere where he will be allowed to do that. I just wish we could have worked him in a bit more, especially on weekends.

As for tommy, idk, maybe we'll never know, but I've heard conflicting rumors. I think that if Avent would have stuck with him at third, he'd still be here. Again, we'll never know.

As I told CLT, none of this matters if we can bounce back, but it doesn't look good. Idk if we have a staff cut out for this new transfer era. We haven't exactly knocked it out of the park with the transfers we've brought in, aside from groover.

Come on if you're going to disparage our players at least be accurate. Cozart gave up a decent amount of passed balls but he was also excellent at framing pitches. Context is also needed on passed balls because if nobody is on base then passed balls don't hurt you
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Alex Stone led the league in passed balls, you don't remember correctly. Try again.

Stop making stuff up.
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

Pretty much every nonsensical narrative you're trying to post. It's ok to be upset but stop trying to create false narratives to justify your hurt feelings.
ClePack
matracey said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Come on if you're going to disparage our players at least be accurate. Cozart gave up a decent amount of passed balls but he was also excellent at framing pitches. Context is also needed on passed balls because if nobody is on base then passed balls don't hurt you

So I didn't remember correctly, but he's damn near close. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't go down as a passed ball if no one is on base, right?

Again, we could have worked Peebles in more. That's all I'm saying. Cozart wasn't irreplaceable behind the dish. We could have found more time for peebs. Cozart being better doesn't mean don't play the backup at all.
Alex Gee
Staff
ClePack said:

Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

How so?

Cozart was the second team all conference catcher only behind Teel who was the POY and going to be a top 10 pick in a month.

Cozy lead the country in stolen strikes last season and manages our pitching staff at an extremely high level. It's unfortunate that Peebles can only play the position (and not at a high level defensively) that is locked down by a guy you can't replace.
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

Pretty much every nonsensical narrative you're trying to post. It's ok to be upset but stop trying to create false narratives to justify your hurt feelings.

Again, what is made up? Because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's false, a narrative, or anything of the like. C'mon, man. Have an adult discussion.
ClePack
Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

How so?

Cozart was the second team all conference catcher only behind Teel who was the POY and going to be a top 10 pick in a month.

Cozy lead the country in stolen strikes last season and manages our pitching staff at an extremely high level. It's unfortunate that Peebles can only play the position (and not at a high level defensively) that is locked down by a guy you can't replace.

Fair response, I guess I don't consider Cozart as "can't replace" and that's why I view this entire thing differently.
matracey
ClePack said:

matracey said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

So I didn't remember correctly, but he's damn near close. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't go down as a passed ball if no one is on base, right?

Again, we could have worked Peebles in more. That's all I'm saying. Cozart wasn't irreplaceable behind the dish. We could have found more time for peebs. Cozart being better doesn't mean don't play the backup at all.

IMO it wouldn't have mattered if we played Peebles at catcher more. Cozart is coming back to be the starting catcher next year. Peebles put up insane numbers as a freshmen DH so he's going somewhere he can be the starting catcher. He's doing what's best for him and Avent did what was best for the team this year
ClePack
matracey said:

ClePack said:

matracey said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

IMO it wouldn't have mattered if we played Peebles at catcher more. Cozart is coming back to be the starting catcher next year. Peebles put up insane numbers as a freshmen DH so he's going somewhere he can be the starting catcher. He's doing what's best for him and Avent did what was best for the team this year

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps this was completely unavoidable. Replacing his offense won't be easy, though. I guess we'll have to see who we can pull from the portal.
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

matracey said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

You're already dead on that hill brosef.

Jesus man listen to yourself. "Work him in more"? He's still not starting next year when we have a high mlb draft prospect playing in front of him. ***udge. Haha
Working him in more doesn't keep him around. He's behind a top 50 MLB prospect. Haha holy moly.
Alex Gee
Staff
ClePack said:

Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

How so?

Fair response, I guess I don't consider Cozart as "can't replace" and that's why I view this entire thing differently.

And you can totally have that opinion, it's fair. I would just point out that opposing coaches clearly see his value as well to vote him that high, plus earning a chance with Team USA.
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

matracey said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Jesus man listen to yourself. "Work him in more"? He's still not starting next year when we have a high mlb draft prospect playing in front of him. ***udge. Haha
Working him in more doesn't keep him around. He's behind a top 50 MLB prospect. Haha holy moly.

Then this goes back to what I just responded to someone else with, perhaps this entire thing was unavoidable. Better replace that production, though.
JCooke93
Go Pack
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

matracey said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Then this goes back to what I just responded to someone else with, perhaps this entire thing was unavoidable. Better replace that production, though.

Better! Or else!
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

Again, what is made up? Because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's false, a narrative, or anything of the like. C'mon, man. Have an adult discussion.

It's hard to have an adult discussion when you're pitching a hissy fit making up fake stats, fantasyland narratives and completely ignoring just how good the other guy is. Take a beat, calm down and just realize sometimes sht happens and kids want one thing and the team can't provide that thing while also making the team better. It's a team game, ya know.
JCooke93
I wish I had some good news but none yet
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

It's hard to have an adult discussion when you're pitching a hissy fit making up fake stats, fantasyland narratives and completely ignoring just how good the other guy is. Take a beat, calm down and just realize sometimes sht happens and kids want one thing and the team can't provide that thing while also making the team better. It's a team game, ya know.

Boy, you've got an interesting definition of "hissy fit"

Maybe it's "anything I disagree with" = hissy fit? Fantasyland = something that makes me uncomfortable? Have I discovered it?

This team needs talent, badly. Keeping our own would be nice, but maybe it's not always possible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.