2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

110,289 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
pack2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

wish him well and IF PG puts all his tools together, he has a bright future. but, another spot where we can upgrade production.

JCooke93
Popcorn
ClePack
Alex Gee said:

Was just gonna share this. Best for both parties, imo
CLTWolf
#asexpected
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
SportManagementEngineer
PG seemed a little checked out during the regional. At bats weren't good and he had an ugly error playing second.

If he wants to play SS, it won't be here.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
CLTWolf
SportManagementEngineer said:

PG seemed a little checked out during the regional. At bats weren't good and he had an ugly error playing second.

(This is my impression)

PG seems like one of those guys that plays (insert sport here) b/c they're good at it not b/c they love it. I really do question if he loves playing baseball. Maybe he just naturally has that nonchalant demeanor, always. He could have something going on personally, I don't know. He *never* seemed to get fired up.

I really do hope he finds what he's looking for and is ultimately successful at his next stop.
Glasswolf
CLTWolf said:

#asexpected

Marcy is next
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

SportManagementEngineer said:

(This is my impression)

PG seems like one of those guys that plays (insert sport here) b/c they're good at it not b/c they love it. I really do question if he loves playing baseball. Maybe he just naturally has that nonchalant demeanor, always. He could have something going on personally, I don't know. He *never* seemed to get fired up.

I really do hope he finds what he's looking for and is ultimately successful at his next stop.
I think he is more disenchanted that he isn't/can't play SS. I have seen it a lot over the years. It's a tough discussion for a young man. But there are only 30 SS in the world that play on the MLB level. Some of those can't play SS defensively but they can really hit to make up for it. He can hit. He needs to accept that he may not be an MLB SS and find a spot where he can make it. 3B, 2B, outfield. RF is a high paying spot in the outfield. When things were going well for him early this year, he was enthused. Since his fielding fell off, well, he struggled not only with defense and offense, but I agree, it appeared he struggled with attitude. That's not good for the scouts to see. He HAS to be willing to move for the scouts. Versatility and being open minded would be viewed as a positive come draft time. I am not sure transferring is the best idea for him. A position move would be much more positive. I don't think he bought into 2B. If he doesn't buy in, his play will suffer. He really needs to take a hard look at himself and as you said, how badly do I want this? I think success here is all on PG.
castlewood107
Glasswolf said:

CLTWolf said:

#asexpected

Marcy is next
That stinks, I really like his bat and thought he swung it really well all of April when given the chance.

No inside info but thought he might stick next year at 3B or 2B assuming Harrison is back at ss. I thought Marcy was a ss at Pro 5 and Gibbons but cant remember.
JCooke93
Marcy played 3B SS 2B and RF for Pro5
Glasswolf
Not saying Marcy is leaving. I just heard from 2 different people.

JCooke93
Well
JCooke93
He also took nc state out of his Instagram bio so who knows
DJncsu13
I believe Marcy is now in the portal.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
wilmwolf
To me, Marcy is the kind of versatile player you love to have on your team, but I just wonder if there will ever be a defined role for him. With the way things are now, I don't think you'll see guys have a Lawson McArthur type career anymore where they are ok just being a role player for four years.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JCooke93
Him and Harris37 are now in the portal
Jtilley
wilmwolf80 said:

To me, Marcy is the kind of versatile player you love to have on your team, but I just wonder if there will ever be a defined role for him. With the way things are now, I don't think you'll see guys have a Lawson McArthur type career anymore where they are ok just being a role player for four years.
Just not a fit unless he was facing a lefty.
pack2010
anyone have any intel on Trice?

kid still has a bunch of talent, but i can't assume he is draftable anymore. would love if he stuck it out in Raleigh, b/c i think he can contribute. of course, he might just take any FA deal if it's offered to him
Jtilley
Groover and Green had 19 errors between the two of them this year. That is one area I would be looking to upgrade.

If Heavner can hit enough and just play a decent 2nd then it is a net gain IMO. I haven't looked at Paytons numbers but I feel like 80% of his homeruns/production came within that two or three week streak he was on.

Last two years we have just had a lot of guys without a real position or were moved off a spot because of how bad they were defensively. Seems like staff just took as many bat over glove types as they could and hoped they would figure it out.
pack2010
Jtilley said:

Groover and Green had 19 errors between the two of them this year. That is one area I would be looking to upgrade.

If Heavner can hit enough and just play a decent 2nd then it is a net gain IMO. I haven't looked at Paytons numbers but I feel like 80% of his homeruns/production came within that two or three week streak he was on.

Last two years we have just had a lot of guys without a real position or were moved off a spot because of how bad they were defensively. Seems like staff just took as many bat over glove types as they could and hoped they would figure it out.

Peyton hit .234 with 3 homeruns in conference play. .305 OBP. Lowest on the team in OPS in conference play, down there with Cadelaria
JCooke93
Don't think he is coming back
JCooke93
East Tennessee State SP Caden Carlson Just got followed by Chrysler
Glasswolf
DJncsu13 said:

I believe Marcy is now in the portal.

He is.

CLTWolf
Chrysler just started following this kid

https://www.etsubucs.com/baseball/roster/2021-22/12187/cade-carlson/

2nd team all SoCon this year. Made the All Coastal Plain League first team last summer.
JCooke93
Yes please
JCooke93
Braeden O'Shaughnessy from Youngstown State Just Followed NC State Baseball on Twitter
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Braeden O'Shaughnessy from Youngstown State Just Followed NC State Baseball on Twitter

would be an interesting add. had a great year last year, but the numbers took a step back as a senior this year. also, seems like he plays a couple different positions and he has had 12 errors the last couple years (.947 and .915 fielding %). not say he can't help, but this past season certainly gives a little pause
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

Seaver King - SS Wingate This kid hit at Wingate and he hit in summer ball playing in the Valley league for Harrisonburg.

Josh Patrick - OF Charlotte. Left midseason, don't know why other than he wasn't playing. Kid mashed the year before at his JUCO, Crowder College. Hit over .400 with 19 bombs and over 80 rbi.

There will be many more names to toss out there in the coming weeks.

Seaver King commits to Wake
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

Seaver King - SS Wingate This kid hit at Wingate and he hit in summer ball playing in the Valley league for Harrisonburg.

Josh Patrick - OF Charlotte. Left midseason, don't know why other than he wasn't playing. Kid mashed the year before at his JUCO, Crowder College. Hit over .400 with 19 bombs and over 80 rbi.

wonder what position he'll play at Wake? Their SS is a FR, Wilken will be gone so there's 3rd which probably works out. Their 2B (Lafayette transfer) could get drafted and leave or move to 3rd which opens up 2nd.

JCooke93
Crap
JCooke93
Kansas Transfer Pitcher Sam Brady just followed Chrysler
Daviewolf83
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

wonder what position he'll play at Wake? Their SS is a FR, Wilken will be gone so there's 3rd which probably works out. Their 2B (Lafayette transfer) could get drafted and leave or move to 3rd which opens up 2nd.

My son told me about this last night and I think 3rd is the plan right now. He is viewed as a replacement for Wilken, from a position standpoint.
CLTWolf
Daviewolf83 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

My son told me about this last night and I think 3rd is the plan right now. He is viewed as a replacement for Wilken, from a position standpoint.
Yeah, that's what I assumed. Really good pickup for them to get him.
JCooke93
Update he just followed Chrysler
JCooke93
Pain

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.