2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

109,844 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

FLWolf said:

We have to improve our infield D-we are bad all around

Cosart needs some work behind the plate also

With that, we aren't that far off as I do expect us to make the NCAAs
Cozart is widely considered one of the best defensive catchers in the country.

Cozart improved a lot from last year to this year, both as a catcher and as a hitter. He has done a lot better handling bad pitches and I have to assume Austin has worked with him on his setup and approach behind the plate. Last year, I was not sure he would get it done and he came back this year and showed he is one of the better catchers in the country.
FLWolf
I only watched about 7-8 State games, and I always felt that he struggled as a receiver.

I have never heard Cozart being a plus defensive catcher-

I watch a good of amount of college baseball and he is weaker than the others I watch. I loved the Miami catcher last night although he did have a passed ball. That block with his bare hand had to hurt.
CLTWolf
FLWolf said:

I only watched about 7-8 State games, and I always felt that he struggled as a receiver.

I have never heard Cozart being a plus defensive catcher-

I watch a good of amount of college baseball and he is weaker than the others I watch. I loved the Miami catcher last night although he did have a passed ball. That block with his bare hand had to hurt.
Kind of a small sample size...

https://d1baseball.com/position-power-rankings/week-12-player-rankings-top-50-catchers/

D1 baseball loves him.
1 Kyle Teel Virginia .423/.482/.665 1.147 48 194 20 0 9 51 20 26 3
2 Luke Shliger Maryland .333/.516/.607 1.122 49 183 17 0 11 48 51 44 10
3 Calvin Harris Ole Miss .342/.423/.631 1.054 48 187 14 2 12 45 28 33 2
4 Jack Payton Louisville .382/.489/.667 1.155 40 144 9 1 10 32 19 33 7
5 Cole Messina South Carolina .315/.435/.663 1.098 47 181 16 1 15 58 31 37 5
6 Julian Brock Louisiana .340/.457/.622 1.079 48 156 14 0 10 53 32 36 5
7 Jacob Cozart NC State .325/.411/.589 1.001 41 151 12 2 8 36 19 30 0
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wilmwolf
Cozart may have a passed ball every now and then, I'm not sure how his numbers compare to others, but I don't think some folks appreciate just how good he is at framing pitches, he's elite.

Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pack2010
What we could/should have coming back (contributors)

C- Cozart/Pebbles
1st- Eli
2nd- Green/Heavner
SS- Harrison
3rd- Heavner

OF- Marcy/Nixon.

Decisions could be made for Soles, Trice, Gupton, etc.

SP- Willadsen. Highfill can technically return, but being honored on senior day might be telling. I am sure Whitaker could get an extra year if he wanted.

Bullpen- Fritton, Rio Britton, Lawson, Shaffner, Payne.

Not including guys like- Dienes, Sipple, Derrick Smith, Win Scott, Halford, Harris as those guys just didn't pitch enough to know how good they can be/if they will be welcomed back. Most of those guys will have decisions to make (or the coaches will make them).
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

C- Cozart/Pebbles
1st- Eli
2nd- Green/Heavner
SS- Harrison
3rd- Heavner

OF- Marcy/Nixon.

SP- Willadsen. Highfill can technically return, but being honored on senior day might be telling. I am sure Whitaker could get an extra year if he wanted.

Not including guys like- Dienes, Sipple, Derrick Smith, Win Scott, Halford, Harris as those guys just didn't pitch enough to know how good they can be/if they will be welcomed back. Most of those guys will have decisions to make (or the coaches will make them).
Trying to come up with a lineup right now is challenging at best b/c we're going to bring in some dudes from JUCO and/or the portal.

Dienes has to be an injury situation, right? Same with Sipple?

Derrick Smith is a talented kid. He could be one to surprise next year but I also wouldn't be surprised if he went closer to home. Hope he stays tho.

Halford just has to throw strikes and he hasn't shown that's something he can do to this point.

Logan Whitaker already has another year available, and could definitely have an excellent shot at getting a 6th year. Hell, kid lost 3 years to arm injury, he should get a 7th year if he wants it. haha
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

C- Cozart/Pebbles
1st- Eli
2nd- Green/Heavner
SS- Harrison
3rd- Heavner

OF- Marcy/Nixon.

Trying to come up with a lineup right now is challenging at best b/c we're going to bring in some dudes from JUCO and/or the portal. k

Derrick Smith is a talented kid. He could be one to surprise next year but I also wouldn't be surprised if he went closer to home. Hope he stays tho.

Halford just has to throw strikes and he hasn't shown that's something he can do to this point.

Logan Whitaker already has another year available, and could definitely have an excellent shot at getting a 6th year. Hell, kid lost 3 years to arm injury, he should get a 7th year if he wants it. haha

exactly. what i was more of less getting at was, we could have 6-7 kids back that have proven they can hit ACC pitching. And that is a very good start. But, the roster will definitely be in flux.

IMO we will probably add 3-4 kids to the field and hopefully 3-4 arms (JUCO or portal). I hope we grab a couple more proven arms, instead of the upside takes in creed watkins and I guess Labriola. UVA crushed the portal getting arms from Georgetown, Army and Coastal. All 3 were HUGE contributors.

Sipple and Dienes- gotta be injuries. No shot they don't get a chance with our lack of lefties this year. Halford and Smith seem like decent upside kids, both throwing in the low-ish 90s. I have to assume Halford was dinged up too. With all of his preseason hype, to only get a couple appearances (as bad as they were) was interesting.
pack2010
Also, per kendall rogers, there is 800 kids already in the portal... The portal doesn't officially open until 5/30.
Borowolf10
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

C- Cozart/Pebbles
1st- Eli
2nd- Green/Heavner
SS- Harrison
3rd- Heavner

OF- Marcy/Nixon.

Trying to come up with a lineup right now is challenging at best b/c we're going to bring in some dudes from JUCO and/or the portal. k

exactly. what i was more of less getting at was, we could have 6-7 kids back that have proven they can hit ACC pitching. And that is a very good start. But, the roster will definitely be in flux.

IMO we will probably add 3-4 kids to the field and hopefully 3-4 arms (JUCO or portal). I hope we grab a couple more proven arms, instead of the upside takes in creed watkins and I guess Labriola. UVA crushed the portal getting arms from Georgetown, Army and Coastal. All 3 were HUGE contributors.

Sipple and Dienes- gotta be injuries. No shot they don't get a chance with our lack of lefties this year. Halford and Smith seem like decent upside kids, both throwing in the low-ish 90s. I have to assume Halford was dinged up too. With all of his preseason hype, to only get a couple appearances (as bad as they were) was interesting.

What's the deal with Creed Watkins? He got basically one inning all year and looked good. Then nothing.
I40Wolf
pack2010 said:

Also, per kendall rogers, there is 800 kids already in the portal... The portal doesn't officially open until 5/30.
How can there be 800 in it if it hasn't opened yet?
CLTWolf
Borowolf10 said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

C- Cozart/Pebbles
1st- Eli
2nd- Green/Heavner
SS- Harrison
3rd- Heavner

OF- Marcy/Nixon.

What's the deal with Creed Watkins? He got basically one inning all year and looked good. Then nothing.
"He basically got one inning all year"...I know you watched the games. LOL

The kid didn't throw strikes. But you know this, as much as you want to ignore it for whatever reason.

5 appearances, 3 innings. 4 BBs, hit a guy, did strikeout 5 but also gave up 5 hits, 5 runs and the other team hit .333 against him. I broke it all down in another thread but he threw more balls than strikes. That will not get you more innings.
CLTWolf
I40Wolf said:

pack2010 said:

How can there be 800 in it if it hasn't opened yet?
Kids can still say they're entering and D1 baseball will list them. There's also the Davidson, Ivy League kids that leave their schools due to no extended eligibility or something along those lines (no covid year). There's kids that left their teams and went the JUCO route or transferred before the last portal window closed and still haven't found/announced a home yet.

Examples: We had two kids leave before the season started and one is at App State and another went back home to WV and is at WVU. They're listed as "in the portal" for us on the D1 baseball site.
JCooke93
Some from the fall last year that haven't been updated yet
JCooke93
Yup
Glasswolf
CLTWolf said:

Borowolf10 said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

C- Cozart/Pebbles
1st- Eli
2nd- Green/Heavner
SS- Harrison
3rd- Heavner

OF- Marcy/Nixon.

"He basically got one inning all year"...I know you watched the games. LOL

The kid didn't throw strikes. But you know this, as much as you want to ignore it for whatever reason.

5 appearances, 3 innings. 4 BBs, hit a guy, did strikeout 5 but also gave up 5 hits, 5 runs and the other team hit .333 against him. I broke it all down in another thread but he threw more balls than strikes. That will not get you more innings.
The kid never really "looked good". It was painfully obvious that he had no control and was trying to overthrow everything. Kid has great velocity on his fastball. He just needs to take a few mph off and he would be fine.
wilmwolf
I'm always interested in how little a player has to show for fans to clamor for them to appear more, especially pitchers. Conversely, we pick apart multi year veteran starters games with a microscope and make up reasons that are not supported by stats as to why they shouldn't be playing. It actually happens across all sports, so I guess fans are consistent.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JCooke93
Going to be very interesting
JCooke93
A Big UNCG Bat with 2 years left just went into the portal
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Kennedy Jones. Massive bat
Whitetailpack
JCooke93 said:

Kennedy Jones?
JCooke93
Yup
JCooke93
Wofford SP Matthew Marchal is also now in the portal
CLTWolf
Clint is following this kid from Sanford. D3 pitcher originally from Sanford, went to Southern Lee HS.

https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/bsb/2022-23/bios/bryan_drew_1ime?view=career&pos=p

Really good numbers this year. Made the D3 All Region team and was the conference pitcher of the year.
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

Clint is following this kid from Sanford. D3 pitcher originally from Sanford, went to Southern Lee HS.

https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/bsb/2022-23/bios/bryan_drew_1ime?view=career&pos=p

Really good numbers this year. Made the D3 All Region team and was the conference pitcher of the year.

very good numbers, for sure. have we ever taken a kid from that low of a level? of course, no disrespect intended, genuinely curious

also, looked up this kids twitter. looked like his fastball is 91-94 and he has hit 95.6. seems to be a bullpen session, so no clue if he was going all out, or if he can hold 92-94 for 6+ innings
JCooke93
Also looking at a Tennessee Tech Grad transfer
Borowolf10
Whitetailpack said:

JCooke93 said:

Kennedy Jones?

Wow two straight years of OPS over .1000, must get.
JCooke93
Make that 2
metcalfmafia
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

at what position? if it's on the mound, they only have 1 kid with an ERA of under 5, which is CRAZY. granted, that ERA is a 3.00 but still. horrible pitching
metcalfmafia
Kennedy Jones' brother plays football at Clemson.
JCooke93
Yes 2 pitchers
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

very good numbers, for sure. have we ever taken a kid from that low of a level? of course, no disrespect intended, genuinely curious

also, looked up this kids twitter. looked like his fastball is 91-94 and he has hit 95.6. seems to be a bullpen session, so no clue if he was going all out, or if he can hold 92-94 for 6+ innings
Probably not but it's no worse than a lot JUCO baseball that's being played out there, IMO. There's a lot of good baseball that's being played at the D2 and D3 level. Hell, just in the state of NC with Mount Olive, Wingate, NC Wesleyan, etc there's a ton of kids that could play D1.

This kid is 6'0 not 6'4 and looks like academics were big for him (valedictorian of his class) so when he didn't get big offers he probably wanted he pivoted to the academics angle at U of Chicago, a really good school.

His numbers definitely look like they could play up as well. He's pumping 92-94 with 3 other pitches. Hell, give him a shot, why not. ha
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Yes 2 pitchers

yeahhh if we start taking multiple pitchers from... Tennessee tech, not sure that is going to fix many of our problems.
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

Probably not but it's no worse than a lot JUCO baseball that's being played out there, IMO. There's a lot of good baseball that's being played at the D2 and D3 level. Hell, just in the state of NC with Mount Olive, Wingate, NC Wesleyan, etc there's a ton of kids that could play D1.

This kid is 6'0 not 6'4 and looks like academics were big for him (valedictorian of his class) so when he didn't get big offers he probably wanted he pivoted to the academics angle at U of Chicago, a really good school.

His numbers definitely look like they could play up as well. He's pumping 92-94 with 3 other pitches. Hell, give him a shot, why not. ha

good intel. would definitely take a lower level arm that has had success compared to kids from "bigger schools" that haven't been very good for 2-3 years
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

at what position? if it's on the mound, they only have 1 kid with an ERA of under 5, which is CRAZY. granted, that ERA is a 3.00 but still. horrible pitching
It's probably Jacob Morin.

Also, IIRC, Tennessee Tech's home field is a launching pad where they always hit a ton of HRs. The pitching for Tenn Tech probably isn't gonna look great simply b/c of where they play their home games so you always have to take that into consideration when looking at their pitching.

Matt Bragga is back as the HC there so I bet they'll get back to winning a lot of games sooner than later. In 2018 they won 53 games and almost made the CWS losing in the Supers to Texas. He takes the Rice job and only lasts 3 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.