2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

110,075 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The big Duke 2B that hit the homer in the 9th to tie us the other night was a D3 kid. I think I may remember the announcers saying they had a couple of D3 transfers. Might start to see more good players going that route with some programs focusing more on transfers over HS kids. Always been said if you can play, someone will find you.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JCooke93
It's him and Colt Taylor
JCooke93
Chrysler just followed him
JCooke93
And just followed a Georgia State two way player and a Wichita State Pitcher
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

can we drop names, please? i have no problem looking these dudes up, but playing the twitter follow game is a lot
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

The big Duke 2B that hit the homer in the 9th to tie us the other night was a D3 kid. I think I may remember the announcers saying they had a couple of D3 transfers. Might start to see more good players going that route with some programs focusing more on transfers over HS kids. Always been said if you can play, someone will find you.
Yeah, Duke took kids from the Ivys and also the Metz kid from Trinity (D3) in San Antonio as well as pitchers from Belmont Abbey (D2) and from Kenyon U (D3).
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
pack2010
for the georgia state kid- the 1st 2 way kid i notice is cameron jones.

LHP/OF. Threw only 15 innings this year, but for his career he has pitched 126 innings. Career ERA of 4.07, but has pitched well the last couple of years.

In the field, last 2 years he has hit about .350 with 48 SBs (36 stolen bases this year)
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

can we drop names, please? i have no problem looks these dudes up, but playing the twitter follow game is a lot
Jacob Morin - Tenn Tech
Colt Taylor - Tenn Tech (side arm kid)
Cam Jones - Ga State
Jace Miner - Wichita State
Anthony Watts - Creighton
Jake Lanzer - St Johns
Jackson Reid - Lenoir Rhyne

I'll offer the same warning as I do every year...just b/c a coach is following a kid doesn't mean there's big interest there. Kicking the tires is just that sometimes and it goes no further.

pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

can we drop names, please? i have no problem looks these dudes up, but playing the twitter follow game is a lot
Jacob Morin - Tenn Tech
Colt Taylor - Tenn Tech (side arm kid)
Cam Jones - Ga State
Jace Miner - Wichita State
Anthony Watts - Creighton
Jake Lanzer - St Johns
Jackson Reid - Lenoir Rhyne

I'll offer the same warning as I do every year...just b/c a coach is following a kid doesn't mean there's big interest there. Kicking the tires is just that sometimes and it goes no further.

thank you, and no doubt. 90%+ of these go nowhere, but it's nice to see any potential surprises. The Miner kid looks like he could be a great pickup for someone.
JCooke93
That's him
CLTWolf
Seaver King - SS Wingate This kid hit at Wingate and he hit in summer ball playing in the Valley league for Harrisonburg.

Josh Patrick - OF Charlotte. Left midseason, don't know why other than he wasn't playing. Kid mashed the year before at his JUCO, Crowder College. Hit over .400 with 19 bombs and over 80 rbi.

There will be many more names to toss out there in the coming weeks.
JCooke93
I like what I have seen about king
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

Seaver King - SS Wingate This kid hit at Wingate and he hit in summer ball playing in the Valley league for Harrisonburg.

Josh Patrick - OF Charlotte. Left midseason, don't know why other than he wasn't playing. Kid mashed the year before at his JUCO, Crowder College. Hit over .400 with 19 bombs and over 80 rbi.

There will be many more names to toss out there in the coming weeks.

King is a monster, this tweet says he could be a day 1 pick with almost 70 grade running. Yes. Please.

gabeezzell04
Has 22 errors combined the past 2 seasons. I'll pass.
pack2010
gabeezzell04 said:

not sure if srs.
JCooke93
Keep a eye on Friday and Saturday Night Starting Pitcher Josh Harlow from Mercer
CLTWolf
gabeezzell04 said:

Only committed 5 errors the last 37 games of the year. Also hit over .400 but yeah, let's pass. lol
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Keep a eye on Friday and Saturday Night Starting Pitcher Josh Harlow from Mercer
Garner native, went to West Johnston HS and Pitt CC

Really good last year, must've had an injury this year.
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

he was hurt, yes. came back in late may, so it seems like it's not TJ or anything serious. and pitched well for the Wilmington Sharks in the CPL a couple years ago. Seems like he would be a very nice get.
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

he was hurt, yes. came back in late may, so it seems like it's not TJ or anything serious. and pitched well for the Wilmington Sharks in the CPL a couple years ago. Seems like he would be a very nice get.
His pitching coach just got the boot too

JCooke93
Yup
gabeezzell04
I would gladly take him as a DH or corner outfielder but after seeing what this team has done defensively the past 2 seasons I would prefer to not have him playing SS. Helluva bat tho for sure just wonder if it'll play at this level.
JCooke93
Mississippi State SS and 21CWS Champion Lane Forsythe is in the portal
pack2010
gabeezzell04 said:

I would gladly take him as a DH or corner outfielder but after seeing what this team has done defensively the past 2 seasons I would prefer to not have him playing SS. Helluva bat tho for sure just wonder if it'll play at this level.

if he's a possible 1st round pick, he has the tools. you take him and figure the rest out
JCooke93
Peyton Henry Outfielder from Radford who has 2 years left just followed Chrysler
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Peyton Henry Outfielder from Radford who has 2 years left just followed Chrysler

yea little chance this kid would be a take. a non full time starter that hit .220 and had 3 errors in left field. nah

however, appreciate you dropping the name. very helpful!
JCooke93
A Purdue Grad Transfer Pitcher Calvin Schapira is also following Chrysler
Alex Gee
Staff
gabeezzell04 said:

You were really being serious?

The 4 all ACC SS's this season - O'Ferrall, Mooney, Pitelli, and Knapczyk over the past two seasons have had 16, 27, 20, and 19 respectively.

Torres would've been right around 20 over his two years if 2020 had happened. Will Wilson was the Defensive POY in 2019 and his last two season stretch netted 27 errors. Joe Dunand, 29. Trea had 26. What are your expectations?
JCooke93
Pitcher Cam Leiter from UCF and he has 3 years and he is in the portal and following Chrysler
CLTWolf
gabeezzell04 said:

He .313 in a summer wooden bat league against D1 kids. It will play.

Has anyone looked at Will Wilson's fielding numbers? He hit, a lot, so no one cared. haha (He committed 18 errors as a SO)

Joe Dunand? No one cared either. 41 errors over 3 years (17 his junior year). 41. We loved him.

Trea Turner? He cleaned it up as a Junior but his SO year he committed 17 errors, 14 the year before that at 3rd.

I think we're really overanalyzing it too much.

pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Pitcher Cam Leiter from UCF and he has 3 years and he is in the portal and following Chrysler

This looks like a big time arm, on the surface. Crazy HS numbers, pitched 56.2 innings this year, struck out 80. He did walk 40, but it seems like the swing and miss stuff is there
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Uncles are Al and Mark. Jack is obviously his cousin.

Led UCF in strikeouts as a FR with 80 over 56.2 innings. Definitely an interesting arm, for sure. Comes from a family of pitchers so he knows how to pitch I'd bet.
JCooke93
Adler fron Wichita State is a big SP in the portal just now
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Adler fron Wichita State is a big SP in the portal just now

oddly enough there were two Adler's on the Wichita State roster, both pitchers. ha
James Henderson
Staff
Alex Gee said:

gabeezzell04 said:

You were really being serious?

The 4 all ACC SS's this season - O'Ferrall, Mooney, Pitelli, and Knapczyk over the past two seasons have had 16, 27, 20, and 19 respectively.

Torres would've been right around 20 over his two years if 2020 had happened. Will Wilson was the Defensive POY in 2019 and his last two season stretch netted 27 errors. Joe Dunand, 29. Trea had 26. What are your expectations?
NONE~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.