2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

110,232 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Any idea if Pennington is a good defensive 1B?
Had the exact same fielding% and the same amount of errors (5) as Eli this season. He's 6'0 tall and right handed so I definitely hate that from a defensive standpoint haha. Murr and Edwards were 6'2 but lefthanded.

I get that Eli needs to play OF for the draft (even Murr was drafted as an OF, the pros don't seem to care about 1B unless they are power bats), but man, do I love having a tall lefty at first. The good thing about this guy is he's experienced, so it's not like trying to play Groover or Marcy there. This guy actually reminds me a little of Marcy, or maybe what he could be as an upperclassman.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pack2010
Need a CF now, assuming Nixon and Eli are going to have the inside track to corner OF spots.
JCooke93
Go Pack
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

Need a CF now, assuming Nixon and Eli are going to have the inside track to corner OF spots.

FR Jake Bechtel…

He supposedly has a cannon too.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

FR Jake Bechtel…

we think he is quick enough to play CF? don't know much about him athletically, assumed he was more of a corner guy due to his size.
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

FR Jake Bechtel…

we think he is quick enough to play CF? don't know much about him athletically, assumed he was more of a corner guy due to his size.
Sounds like he is. I can't find any recent numbers other than he supposedly runs a 4.7 40.

I read a bunch of comments about his big arm and that he "can run too". Apparently he brings it on the mound 92-94. He's an exciting addition.
JCooke93
Nice
braz213
What's his story? He committed late. Was he committed somewhere else before? Or he was just a late bloomer? Must be good if you think he's going to start as a freshman in the field.
JCooke93
Go Pack9
CLTWolf
braz213 said:

What's his story? He committed late. Was he committed somewhere else before? Or he was just a late bloomer? Must be good if you think he's going to start as a freshman in the field.
I know he had an injury and also played football as well. From the looks of his tweeters he was angling for a football 'ship too going to camps and whatnot. I think he finally realized baseball was his best bet for college.

He's also teammates with Pack9 signee LHP Cooper Consiglio.

As I've mentioned before, his dad is the HC at East Lake. I love getting the kid of a coach.

Jake looks like he had interest from Alabama and FAU in baseball and lots of D2, D3, Ivy's interest for football.
JCooke93
Wow
JCooke93
UF got Colby Shelton from Bama
metcalfmafia
I thought the SEC had some kind of rule against transfers in conference?
JCooke93
So Payton Green to GT
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

So Payton Green to GT
Good for him. Good spot to land.

Their current SS is a covid JR but I'm not sure he gets drafted but he's made 25 errors over the last two years so Payton has a shot play SS in ATL for the Jackets. They'll almost certainly lose their third baseman so there's also that for him too.
CLTWolf
Who knows if it's something worth watching or not but since Chris Hart RARELY gives a follow out (he was at 250 follows for a damn year just about ha) on twitters, he's made two in two days. One of which was Garrett Pennington who obviously committed. Today he's followed an Arizona JUCO kid named Karsen Waslefsky, a SS at South Mountain CC.

https://athletics.southmountaincc.edu/sports/bsb/2022-23/players/karsenwaslefskyusw4

JCooke93
Stats are ok
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

FR Jake Bechtel…

Sounds like he is. I can't find any recent numbers other than he supposedly runs a 4.7 40.

I read a bunch of comments about his big arm and that he "can run too". Apparently he brings it on the mound 92-94. He's an exciting addition.
6'5 235 and runs a 4.7 40, kind of shocked he didn't get any decent football offers on his measurables alone if those are actually correct.

JCooke93
His stats worried me
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Stats are ok

The juco kid? What's wrong with his stats? Nice batting average, doesn't K too much, solid OBP and good fielding percentage. Seems like he could be okay. Not much pop, but 16 doubles
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Who knows if it's something worth watching or not but since Chris Hart RARELY gives a follow out (he was at 250 follows for a damn year just about ha) on twitters, he's made two in two days. One of which was Garrett Pennington who obviously committed. Today he's followed an Arizona JUCO kid named Karsen Waslefsky, a SS at South Mountain CC.

https://athletics.southmountaincc.edu/sports/bsb/2022-23/players/karsenwaslefskyusw4

That's a really strong Juco conference if I remember correctly. I think Bryce Harper played a year there before he was drafted.
JCooke93
No HR's ?
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

No HR's ?

lack of pop is "worrisome" but 16 doubles tells me he atleast has a little juice in the bat.
braz213
Playing in Arizona and Nevada where there is thin air is worrisome.
JCooke93
Yup
CLTWolf
braz213 said:

Playing in Arizona and Nevada where there is thin air is worrisome.
I wouldn't be too concerned. The big masher from Australia for Campbell hit 1 HR at Arizona Western CC his FR year and 4 his covid SO year there. Then gets to Buies Creek and drops 19 bombs last year and 21 this year.

Having said that, if this kid is a legit option for us, I just want him to play a clean SS, hit over .300, get on base a lot and steal some bases. I'm half kidding but he's a true FR so he'll grow and get stronger in a legit strength program.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

That's a really strong Juco conference if I remember correctly. I think Bryce Harper played a year there before he was drafted.
Yessir it is, they play some REALLY good baseball in that conference/Region. College of Southern Nevada in that region and the Arizona conference has Yavapai, Pima, Arizona Western, and others.
JCooke93
Same
Alex Gee
Staff
kmb717
Alex Gee said:

Was he fanning himself with 100 dollar bills while he said this?
wilmwolf
We bought this team straight cash, homie.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
3 of Wake's 4 best arms from the bullpen came from the portal. 'Cept those dudes came from places like Tulane, Dartmouth and Northwestern. haha Another bullpen arm (and the coaches son, to be fair) came from Georgetown.

Wake's second baseman came from Lafayette and their C from Tulane as well.

Baseball is the sport that you can get legit talent from places like Dartmouth and Lafayette and win big.
FLWolf
CLT-no doubt about it. Baseball is one of those sports where top talent is everywhere and develops later also

I for one thought LSU may of had too much talent and not enough role players-they made it happen
Wolfer79
Reminder of the nice job both programs have done mixing old school recruited talent and transfer portal arrivals: the current pitchers. Last year LSU's Caleb Hurd and Wake's Michael Massey were pitching for UCLA and Tulane. And that Skenes guy? He was at Air Force.

JCooke93
Ugh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.