2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

109,812 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grant I ment
pack2010
going to be interesting to see what UNCW/UNCC kids enter the portal when their season is over. got to assume we would have a decent shot at those kids. and i know UNCW has a couple of nice, younger players to keep an eye on if they decide to move on
JCooke93
Other Creighton Pitcher Tommy Gross that Chrysler just followed
JCooke93
Coach Robinson just followed Ryan Galanie from Wofford
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Coach Robinson just followed Ryan Galanie from Wofford

this kid is good. his 2 years starting- .355 average. 34 homeruns. 32 stolen bases. and walked more than he struck out this year.

played 1st base this year. 3rd last year. listed as IF/OF kid
Packsd14me
Alex Gee said:

gabeezzell04 said:

I would gladly take him as a DH or corner outfielder but after seeing what this team has done defensively the past 2 seasons I would prefer to not have him playing SS. Helluva bat tho for sure just wonder if it'll play at this level.
You were really being serious?

The 4 all ACC SS's this season - O'Ferrall, Mooney, Pitelli, and Knapczyk over the past two seasons have had 16, 27, 20, and 19 respectively.

Torres would've been right around 20 over his two years if 2020 had happened. Will Wilson was the Defensive POY in 2019 and his last two season stretch netted 27 errors. Joe Dunand, 29. Trea had 26. What are your expectations?
Wilson was the best SS defensively of all those mentioned. If he fields like Wilson, I will take every day and twice on Sundays. Those other guys for us were mainly offensive players at SS. Dunand was a corner infielder playing SS. The Braves have him at 1B some now at Gwinnett. Trea is much better offensively than defensively, remember, he played center a little until he showed he could hit major league pitching. But, as I said in another thread, I would rather have a SS with range to get to more ground balls. If that happens, those plays are harder. Some of those hard plays results in more errors. I will gladly live with more errors if that is the case. I would have to watch him play. This just in, playing SS is hard.
JCooke93
Coach Robinson just followed 2 more Wichita State players Brock Rodden and Chuck ingram
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Coach Robinson just followed 2 more Wichita State players Brock Rodden and Chuck ingram
Brock Rodden is a stud. Probably gets drafted and doesn't transfer anywhere, the portal is just leverage.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
Yup also former Mississippi State and Wichita State Kyte McDonald is in the portal
pack2010
Not sure where else to put this, but MLB came out with their top 200 prospects- Below are NCSU commits

RHP Landen Maroudis is #69 overall.
Alex Sosa, Catcher commit is #122 overall. I knew he was a riser, but dang- dont expect to get him anymore.
RHP Chance Mako #178 overall

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Current player wise, Gino is #57 overall.
JCooke93
That might be why we are looking at Transfer Catcher's but I still think we get alex
JCooke93
Things are getting interesting
I40Wolf
CLTWolf said:

I40Wolf said:

pack2010 said:

Also, per kendall rogers, there is 800 kids already in the portal... The portal doesn't officially open until 5/30.
How can there be 800 in it if it hasn't opened yet?
Kids can still say they're entering and D1 baseball will list them. There's also the Davidson, Ivy League kids that leave their schools due to no extended eligibility or something along those lines (no covid year). There's kids that left their teams and went the JUCO route or transferred before the last portal window closed and still haven't found/announced a home yet.

Examples: We had two kids leave before the season started and one is at App State and another went back home to WV and is at WVU. They're listed as "in the portal" for us on the D1 baseball site.
Thank you
JCooke93
Breaking News on D1Baseball Portal Gupton and Barkett just got added
DJncsu13
JCooke93 said:

Breaking News on D1Baseball Portal Gupton and Barkett just got added

Gupton leaving is extremely disappointing. Was hoping he'd give it another year and get a starting spot.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
metcalfmafia
Normally freshmen who are good enough will play in college baseball. Not sure why Gupton never got any run but my guess is he can't hit.
JCooke93
Going to be very interesting
JCooke93
New name just followed Robinson and Chrysler is Nate Espelin from Dayton
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

New name just followed Robinson and Chrysler is Nate Espelin from Dayton

41 career innings, 10.76 ERA, .372 BAA. that won't play in the ACC
JCooke93
And Matt Maloney Catcher at Dayton just followed NC State Baseball Twitter account yesterday
JCooke93
Rutgers SP Wyatt Parliament just followed Chrysler
tau06
JCooke93 said:

And Matt Maloney Catcher at Dayton just followed NC State Baseball Twitter account yesterday

Got too many catchers as it is, no?
pack2010
tau06 said:

JCooke93 said:

Got too many catchers as it is, no?

assuming we hold on to peebles and cozart, we might want to bring in a 3rd emergency type catcher. not sure that dayton kid applies to that, but you never know
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

Not sure where else to put this, but MLB came out with their top 200 prospects- Below are NCSU commits

Alex Sosa, Catcher commit is #122 overall. I knew he was a riser, but dang- dont expect to get him anymore.

Last year this list had Eli Serrano 94th, Gupton 96th and Dom Pilloli 135th.

I think we have a really solid shot at Mako getting to school. Looking at the MLB list from last year no HS pitchers ranked as low as Mako on that list were drafted or even signed. Totally not scientific in the least bit but at least something for us grasp onto until draft time. haha

In every interview I've heard or read on Mako he genuinely sounds like he wants to go to college and the draft is what it is. Now if he tells some team he's in and they throw some coin at him then he should go, IMO.

Apropos of nothing really, but...
Just looking at last year's draft (and I've alluded to this previously):

HS Pitchers drafted last year - 53 (1 was a Canadian HS JR)
37 of that 53 signed (28 Righties, 9 Lefties)
RH HS Pitchers drafted last year - 40
LH HS Pitchers drafted last year - 13 (1 was the Canadian)

HS First Basemen drafted last year - 2
Oddly enough both were from NC. One signed and the other ended up at UNCW (Xavier Isaac and Tanner Thach)

HS Second basemen drafted last year - 0
Not surprising as a ton of the Shortstop's drafted will end up at second.

HS SS drafted last year - 29
22 signed.
6 were from Puerto Rico, 1 from Canada.

HS OFs drafted last year - 20
15 signed

HS Catchers drafted last year - 7 (5 signed)
2 were from Puerto Rico (both signed)
1 was from Canada (ended up at Rutgers)

I'm missing one in my list somewhere but 112 HS kids (almost half being pitchers) were drafted last year according to several articles I've read.

2022 draft
616 total draft picks
453 4-year school kids were drafted
112 HS kids
45 JUCOs/Independent/other

2021 was much of the same
612 total draft picks
450 4 year kids
115 HS kids
47 JUCOs

MLB teams are moving further away from taking HS talent.

I didn't really mean to go down this rabbit hole but oh well, I did. My bad.

JCooke93
Well
JCooke93
He looks like a energy type player
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Last year this list had Eli Serrano 94th, Gupton 96th and Dom Pilloli 135th.

I think we have a really solid shot at Mako getting to school. Looking at the MLB list from last year no HS pitchers ranked as low as Mako on that list were drafted or even signed. Totally not scientific in the least bit but at least something for us grasp onto until draft time. haha

In every interview I've heard or read on Mako he genuinely sounds like he wants to go to college and the draft is what it is. Now if he tells some team he's in and they throw some coin at him then he should go, IMO.

Apropos of nothing really, but...
Just looking at last year's draft (and I've alluded to this previously):

HS Pitchers drafted last year - 53 (1 was a Canadian HS JR)
37 of that 53 signed (28 Righties, 9 Lefties)
RH HS Pitchers drafted last year - 40
LH HS Pitchers drafted last year - 13 (1 was the Canadian)

HS First Basemen drafted last year - 2
Oddly enough both were from NC. One signed and the other ended up at UNCW (Xavier Isaac and Tanner Thach)

HS Second basemen drafted last year - 0
Not surprising as a ton of the Shortstop's drafted will end up at second.

HS SS drafted last year - 29
22 signed.
6 were from Puerto Rico, 1 from Canada.

HS OFs drafted last year - 20
15 signed

HS Catchers drafted last year - 7 (5 signed)
2 were from Puerto Rico (both signed)
1 was from Canada (ended up at Rutgers)

I'm missing one in my list somewhere but 112 HS kids (almost half being pitchers) were drafted last year according to several articles I've read.

2022 draft
616 total draft picks
453 4-year school kids were drafted
112 HS kids
45 JUCOs/Independent/other

2021 was much of the same
612 total draft picks
450 4 year kids
115 HS kids
47 JUCOs

MLB teams are moving further away from taking HS talent.

I didn't really mean to go down this rabbit hole but oh well, I did. My bad.

Lots of good info here. I work with a guy that is a former East Rowan baseball player and State grad. He follows East Rowan closely and went to many games tis season. He not so sure about Mako anymore. Says he is saying he will listen to the pros then decide. With a 95-plus fastball and his size, he is probably hearing big dollars. But he is still hopeful he will be a Wolfpacker.

CLTWolf
So, I just realized why we're on all these Wichita State kids (other than they're probably good ball players), the (now former) interim coach, Loren Hibbs was the long time coach at Charlotte. He was Coach BoRob's coach when he was in school at Charlotte in the 90s so there's a connection, probably a good one. Hibbs really wanted the Wichita job (he's a grad).

Sorry if this was already posted about Hibbs.
JCooke93
Wow didn't know that
metcalfmafia
CLTWolf said:

So, I just realized why we're on all these Wichita State kids (other than they're probably good ball players), the (now former) interim coach, Loren Hibbs was the long time coach at Charlotte. He was Coach BoRob's coach when he was in school at Charlotte in the 90s so there's a connection, probably a good one. Hibbs really wanted the Wichita job (he's a grad).

Sorry if this was already posted about Hibbs.
This is why you are the super sleuth.
pack2010
Gupton and Pilolli are in the portal
pack2010
Isaiah Barkett too
pack2010
also, i guess i am dumb, but how is it possible to update the thread title? would love to try to update it when possible (it might be a subscriber feature, idk)
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

also, i guess i am dumb, but how is it possible to update the thread title? would love to try to update it when possible (it might be a subscriber feature, idk)
you should sign up here instead of wasting your money on rivals and jacey. haha

IPS is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anything you'll get over there.

Glass can do it for you, or any other moderator.
wilmwolf
I can't imagine leaving my teammates while they are playing in the post season, but these are new times.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.