2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

110,223 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hopefully some news soon
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

My God, some of y'all are ****ing insufferable with the hyperbole. I hate losing good players too, but jeez. We only ever lose talent and never bring in any? We lost the best freshman in the country last year, one of the best hitters ever, and actually improved at hitting as a team this year. This staff found Peebles in the first place, how many people before the season thought he was going to break out like he did? We can pull up the threads, but I don't recall many.

Baseball has always been a revolving door of talent, between the draft and transfers, and it's only going to be worse in the NIL era. Yeah, we can replace the staff, but you can go hire Joe Torre and it won't matter if you don't back it up with money. Open up your checkbook and write the check. The boosters at LSU aren't saying "So what do I get with my donation? Exactly which player does this go to? Can I get more specifics?" like our fans do, they just give them the cash with no questions attached and let them go buy the best team they can get. Our staff has dug diamonds from the rough forever, but if we want to keep them, you've got pony up. It sucks, but that's the way it is in every sport now.

Again, I don't think these 2 transfers have anything to do with money (could be wrong, but as I've said, I've heard stories of tommy from parents of players why he left and we have yet to know why cannon is leaving). To me it just seems like a total roster mismanagement. You can pay a kid a ton of money, but they all want to play and have a chance to get drafted.

I think using NIL as a scapegoat here is a bit unfair.

Roster mismanagement? Lol

How you figure? We had Cozy in the fold don't bring in Peebles? Wut?

Check my response to wilmy wolf. Cozart wasn't god behind the plate. He had his own flaws and Peebles deserved more of a chance imo

Stop. No one said he was god but he was definitely better defensively and your made up nonsense won't change that fact. Lol

What's made up...?

Pretty much every nonsensical narrative you're trying to post. It's ok to be upset but stop trying to create false narratives to justify your hurt feelings.

Again, what is made up? Because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's false, a narrative, or anything of the like. C'mon, man. Have an adult discussion.

It's hard to have an adult discussion when you're pitching a hissy fit making up fake stats, fantasyland narratives and completely ignoring just how good the other guy is. Take a beat, calm down and just realize sometimes sht happens and kids want one thing and the team can't provide that thing while also making the team better. It's a team game, ya know.

Boy, you've got an interesting definition of "hissy fit"

Maybe it's "anything I disagree with" = hissy fit? Fantasyland = something that makes me uncomfortable? Have I discovered it?

This team needs talent, badly. Keeping our own would be nice, but maybe it's not always possible.

Keep deflecting and projecting sweetie. Haha

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

My God, some of y'all are ****ing insufferable with the hyperbole. I hate losing good players too, but jeez. We only ever lose talent and never bring in any? We lost the best freshman in the country last year, one of the best hitters ever, and actually improved at hitting as a team this year. This staff found Peebles in the first place, how many people before the season thought he was going to break out like he did? We can pull up the threads, but I don't recall many.

Baseball has always been a revolving door of talent, between the draft and transfers, and it's only going to be worse in the NIL era. Yeah, we can replace the staff, but you can go hire Joe Torre and it won't matter if you don't back it up with money. Open up your checkbook and write the check. The boosters at LSU aren't saying "So what do I get with my donation? Exactly which player does this go to? Can I get more specifics?" like our fans do, they just give them the cash with no questions attached and let them go buy the best team they can get. Our staff has dug diamonds from the rough forever, but if we want to keep them, you've got pony up. It sucks, but that's the way it is in every sport now.

Again, I don't think these 2 transfers have anything to do with money (could be wrong, but as I've said, I've heard stories of tommy from parents of players why he left and we have yet to know why cannon is leaving). To me it just seems like a total roster mismanagement. You can pay a kid a ton of money, but they all want to play and have a chance to get drafted.

Check my response to wilmy wolf. Cozart wasn't god behind the plate. He had his own flaws and Peebles deserved more of a chance imo

Stop. No one said he was god but he was definitely better defensively and your made up nonsense won't change that fact. Lol

What's made up...?

Pretty much every nonsensical narrative you're trying to post. It's ok to be upset but stop trying to create false narratives to justify your hurt feelings.

Again, what is made up? Because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's false, a narrative, or anything of the like. C'mon, man. Have an adult discussion.

It's hard to have an adult discussion when you're pitching a hissy fit making up fake stats, fantasyland narratives and completely ignoring just how good the other guy is. Take a beat, calm down and just realize sometimes sht happens and kids want one thing and the team can't provide that thing while also making the team better. It's a team game, ya know.

Maybe it's "anything I disagree with" = hissy fit? Fantasyland = something that makes me uncomfortable? Have I discovered it?

This team needs talent, badly. Keeping our own would be nice, but maybe it's not always possible.

Never deflected. I presented my arguments, to which you continuously responded "stop making stuff up!!!1111!!"

Listen, I'll have a debate/argument on here anytime, as long as it's civil and thoughtful. Your most recent rebuttal was just that, and maybe you're right, maybe we can't provide what the kid wants, and like I said earlier, maybe this won't end up mattering.

Let's see how Avent works the portal. Next season depends on it.
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

Never deflected. I presented my arguments, to which you continuously responded "stop making stuff up!!!1111!!"

Listen, I'll have a debate/argument on here anytime, as long as it's civil and thoughtful. Your most recent rebuttal was just that, and maybe you're right, maybe we can't provide what the kid wants, and like I said earlier, maybe this won't end up mattering.

Weird. I never used any exclamation points, 1's or juans at all. More daydreams.
ClePack
CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

Weird. I never used any exclamation points, 1's or juans at all. More daydreams.

Ok I lold
JCooke93
Go Pack
ncsuchris
ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

Clown show
JCooke93
Go Pack
SportManagementEngineer
Borowolf10 said:

Goat

Tweet was deleted. What was this in response to?
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
pack2010
SportManagementEngineer said:

Borowolf10 said:

Goat

Tweet was deleted. What was this in response to?

we can assume the news that peebles was leaving.

as for today- tough loss, no way around it. it sucks. this one, i think, is more bad luck than anything (obviously Cannon will get a good chunk of NIL money too, and it's deserved). Posted it earlier in this thread but if he wanted regular reps at catcher next year, we just can't offer that. It's unfortunate, but our hands our tied. Maybe getting him a few more reps next year could have helped, but at the end of the day if he wants to be an everyday catcher we cant do that for him. Just stinks our best returning prospect and best freshman play the same spot.
JCooke93
Yup
JCooke93
Go Pack
ClePack
ncsuchris said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

CLTWolf said:

ClePack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

What's made up...?

Clown show

;(
JCooke93
NIL had nothing to do with it
pack2010
gotta assume the coaches go after another catcher now, which is going to be a tough sell, for obvious reasons.

counting on Sosa is a gamble, it seems. And who knows if Lanphere is good enough to be a backup catcher next year
JCooke93
I think that they already are I am keeping my eye out on Dayton Catcher Matt Maloney
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

gotta assume the coaches go after another catcher now, which is going to be a tough sell, for obvious reasons.

counting on Sosa is a gamble, it seems. And who knows if Lanphere is good enough to be a backup catcher next year
it's definitely a gamble but then again we all thought there was no way Thomas White was going to make it to college from IMG a couple years ago.

Last year only 2 of the top 10 HS C's were drafted, one signed.

Oddly enough, 5 of those 10 are playing in Omaha this year
Malcolm Moore Stanford - #1 ranked C on PG
Brady Neal LSU - #2 ranked C on PG
Jared Jones LSU - #4 ranked C on PG
Luke Heyman Florida - #6 ranked C on PG
Karson Bowen TCU - #8 ranked C on PG

#3 was Ike Irish stud at Auburn
#5 was Adonys Guzman, Boston College. Only started 19 games
#7 was Ross Highfill, Miss State. Started 36 of 39 games. Has some work to do but he's super talented
#9 was Brooks Brannon
#10 was Beau Sylvester, Ok State. Didn't play a lot. From Hawaii.

Only kid to sign was Brooks Brannon from Randleman, NC. He was committed to unc, his dad was a monster back in HS at Kings Mountain as well.

Obviously every year is different. For all I know every HS C worth a sht will sign this year. haha

PBR has Sosa as the 22nd ranked C nationally, of course those haven't been updated since March.

Lanphere hit .500 in his HS career but he wasn't exactly playing a tough schedule so who knows where he is talent wise.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

it's definitely a gamble but then again we all thought there was no way Thomas White was going to make it to college from IMG a couple years ago.

#7 was Ross Highfill, Miss State. Started 36 of 39 games. Has some work to do but he's super talented
#9 was Brooks Brannon

Only kid to sign was Brooks Brannon from Randleman, NC. He was committed to unc, his dad was a monster back in HS at Kings Mountain as well.

Obviously every year is different. For all I know every HS C worth a sht will sign this year. haha

PBR has Sosa as the 22nd ranked C nationally, of course those haven't been updated since March.

Lanphere hit .500 in his HS career but he wasn't exactly playing a tough schedule so who knows where he is talent wise.
"How come LSU can have two top ranked catchers and we can't?!?!?!?!"
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

#9 was Brooks Brannon

"How come LSU can have two top ranked catchers and we can't?!?!?!?!"
lulz

Brady Neal didn't play much, 26 games. Hasn't played since early April. Two guys playing in front of him are RJRs.
Jared Jones put up some big numbers as a DH/1B this year. Not sure he played behind the plate at all this season. He's probably at 1B moving forward.

JCooke93
Go Pack
CLTWolf
Jacob Hinderleider, SS Davidson

Coach BoRob gave him a follow. Looks like Hinderleider and Kalae went to HS about 2 miles from each other. A Hawaiian middle infield in Raleigh? Sure, why not.
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

Coach BoRob gave him a follow. Looks like Hinderleider and Kalae went to HS about 2 miles from each other. A Hawaiian middle infield in Raleigh? Sure, why not.

Went to look this dude up, and his linkedin says he is going to Miami. Imagine if that breaks the news, would be a first for me

Incoming Master of Science in Finance Student Athlete at the University of Miami | Student Athlete Alum of Davidson College
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

Went to look this dude up, and his linkedin says he is going to Miami. Imagine if that breaks the news, would be a first for me

Incoming Master of Science in Finance Student Athlete at the University of Miami | Student Athlete Alum of Davidson College
Just saw that myself on his tweeter page. No idea. Sounds like it's Miami.
JCooke93
Yup but with a coaching charge
JCooke93
Maybe flip
EthanBarry
Staff
SC247 tied State to Sam Mongelli from Sacred Heart
FlockaWolf
NEC POY batted almost .400 with 20 homeruns
CLTWolf
FlockaWolf said:

NEC POY batted almost .400 with 20 homeruns
The 2022 NEC POY transferred to Maryland this year and had a decent year for them.

https://umterps.com/sports/baseball/roster/matt-woods/10886

Maxter
matracey said:

I don't get it. We were a below average defensive team and an above average hitting team and some wanted us to play the worse defenders?

They literally created a position called a DH so you don't have to choose between a good hitter and a good defensive player. You can have both!

Coaches can't coach so players don't leave the next year. They coach to give them the best chance at winning in the current year.
The 2 3rd basemen were keys to who won that game last night. Wake's made an incredible play with the winning run on 3rd base to cut him down at home. While Tommy just let a ball go by allowing the winning run to score. He was turning back toward 3rd when the ball was rolling by in the 5 hole. Could have dove and knocked it down and kept the runner from scoring and probably thrown out the batter since it was the catcher.
JCooke93
Yes please
SportManagementEngineer
Duke's Pollard was down in Miami this week interviewing for the open position at UM.
JCooke93
Oh boy
CLTWolf

Duke's Pollard was down in Miami this week interviewing for the open position at UM.
I wonder if him being in Miami means it's progressing b/c it was reported that he interviewed last week by D1 Baseball.

They also reported that Troy Tulowitzki, JD Arteaga, possibly (probably) Paul Mainieri (former Notre Dame/LSU HC) will or have already interviewed as well.
JCooke93
Yup
SportManagementEngineer
CLTWolf said:

I wonder if him being in Miami means it's progressing b/c it was reported that he interviewed last week by D1 Baseball.

They also reported that Troy Tulowitzki, JD Arteaga, possibly (probably) Paul Mainieri (former Notre Dame/LSU HC) will or have already interviewed as well.
Not 100% but I would be surprised if its not one of Pollard or Arteaga.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.