2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

110,214 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
Ripper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

We got Shane Van Dam
I figured that was coming.

I really do like this pickup.

IMO, it's as good of a get as if this kid was at a JUCO.

I bet he's got a fresh arm too. Played a lot of football, is from up north where he couldn't play as much baseball as those every weekend travel ball types do in the south. ha

Agree. Hard to know how he pans out in the ACC, but he appears to have the physical tools, including the fresh arm.

There are tons of great athletes (all sports) from NJ who are not always on the college radars for a variety of reasons. I hope it's a good fit for him.
CLTWolf
Ripper said:

CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

We got Shane Van Dam
I figured that was coming.

I really do like this pickup.

IMO, it's as good of a get as if this kid was at a JUCO.

I bet he's got a fresh arm too. Played a lot of football, is from up north where he couldn't play as much baseball as those every weekend travel ball types do in the south. ha

Agree. Hard to know how he pans out in the ACC, but he appears to have the physical tools, including the fresh arm.

There are tons of great athletes (all sports) from NJ who are not always on the college radars for a variety of reasons. I hope it's a good fit for him.
Yessir. NJ and PA have a TON of talent on the diamond that gets lost in the shuffle b/c of lack of exposure.

We got a kid coming in this year from outside of Philly, he put up big numbers his SR year. Duke has several really good kids from PA/NJ that can play.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
pack2010
Certainly don't mean to stir anything up with this post, but I have said it before, I like this pickup more compared to a guy like Labriola or a creed Watkins (imo he was worth the flyer, stuff wise). Give me a lower level kid who has proven he can get guys out and see if it translates up
braz213
Just so I know I have this right. So Van Dam was a freshman sp and hitter last year throwing 87-91 at 6'5 200 pounds? Apparently he didn't just concentrate on pitching like he would do here? Seems like a really good pick up.
pack2010
I know we have Banks in the fold, but I don't think he will make it to campus next year.

So going on that assumption (which I hope is wrong), this is our first arm commit. I think we need atleast 2 more, with one hopefully being a weekend guy. Not sure what they want to do with SVD, usage wise
pack2010
braz213 said:

Just so I know I have this right. So Van Dam was a freshman sp and hitter last year throwing 87-91 at 6'5 200 pounds? Apparently he didn't just concentrate on pitching like he would do here? Seems like a really good pick up.

he didn't play in the field. However, he was a high level football player that probably didn't do to as many showcases and was under the radar due to football and his location.
JCooke93
pack2010 said:

I know we have Banks in the fold, but I don't think he will make it to campus next year.

So going on that assumption (which I hope is wrong), this is our first arm commit. I think we need atleast 2 more, with one hopefully being a weekend guy. Not sure what they want to do with SVD, usage wise
I feel the same way
ClePack
pack2010 said:

Certainly don't mean to stir anything up with this post, but I have said it before, I like this pickup more compared to a guy like Labriola or a creed Watkins (imo he was worth the flyer, stuff wise). Give me a lower level kid who has proven he can get guys out and see if it translates up
Agree. Really like this addition. So far - the portal haul looks good. Lot more work to do, though.
JCooke93
Yup
Alex Gee
Staff
pack2010 said:

Agree with this 100%. Don't have the time or effort to look it up, heck I'm not sure it's possible to find the data - but I like strike throwers 1st, outlier pitches second (big curve, 95+ fastball, cutter, etc.). You obviously have something special if a player can do both. 13 walks in 29 innings for this kid is a good starting point, especially at 6'5 and supposedly raw per CLT.
JCooke93
Nice
CLTWolf

Dang. Was hoping we could've slid into this one. Auburn also snagged SS Cooper Weiss who was really really good at Miami OH this year.

SEC, man, SEC.
JCooke93
Crap
JCooke93
Oh well it's Luke Nixon and Robert Nedry Season anyway
FLWolf
UGA is going all in on baseball - they are tired of being a doormat
JCooke93
Yup
FLWolf
Congratulations to Aden Knowles '24 and Vincent DeCarlo '25 for helping Team Florida to the GEICO High School Baseball National Championship last night in Dallas!

DeCarlo's 1-out double keyed a 2-run 6th in Florida's 3-0 win over California! Both NC State commits although I am hearing rumblings
CLTWolf
FLWolf said:

Congratulations to Aden Knowles '24 and Vincent DeCarlo '25 for helping Team Florida to the GEICO High School Baseball National Championship last night in Dallas!

DeCarlo's 1-out double keyed a 2-run 6th in Florida's 3-0 win over California! Both NC State commits although I am hearing rumblings

A third commit is on that team as well. First baseman Cam Uzzillia is also committed to State.
FLWolf
DeCarlo started as a soph for a top 4 program in the state of FL with 15-20 D1 commits

Need to keep him
JCooke93
Go Pack
pack2010
FLWolf said:

UGA is going all in on baseball - they are tired of being a doormat

They are but they aren't. They took the cheap route with Johnson as HC (I believe he is 10th in salary). Maybe they're putting the extra money to NIL
JCooke93
Oh well
JCooke93
UNC Charlotte got Correa
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

UNC Charlotte got Correa

Nice pick up for them. I think once we got Pennington we didn't need another 1B. I'm gonna try to catch some niner games next year to watch him. He can rake.
JCooke93
I hope we can get some more bats soon
JCooke93
So we are currently going after a High School 3B and Bill Amick is interested in UNC Chapel Hill somehow according to Gamecocks 247
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

So we are currently going after a High School 3B and Bill Amick is interested in UNC Chapel Hill somehow according to Gamecocks 247

If you're talking about Tate Sirmans he's a 2024 kid so he wouldn't factor into next year.
JCooke93
Opps but yeah
JCooke93
Also Billy Amick interested in UNC
ClePack
JCooke93 said:

What position does this kid play? Assuming he's leaving Clemson for a reason like Peebles? Clem couldn't play him in the field?
JCooke93
3B
CLTWolf
ClePack said:

JCooke93 said:

What position does this kid play? Assuming he's leaving Clemson for a reason like Peebles? Clem couldn't play him in the field?

He and Bakich have issues apparently. Amick didn't do an exit interview either (that's the rumor). Lots of similarities to Tommy White with this situation. Amick wants to play 3rd but he was playing first or DH for the Tigers. Kid can hit. A ton.
JCooke93
Oh boy
JCooke93
Go Pack
JCooke93
Not Getting Josh Harlow

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.