2023 offseason/portal thread (Gupton, Marcy Barkett, Sipple. Falksen In Portal)

109,980 Views | 993 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCooke93
3rdGenPacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

I can't imagine leaving my teammates while they are playing in the post season, but these are new times.
NCAA has limits on number of people that can travel, so these guys might have been told they're not traveling anyway. So, they're not missing anything by entering portal now instead of waiting till team is finished playing.
JCooke93
Got released so
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Got released so

who did?
JCooke93
Gupton Barkett and Pilolli
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

'dang, that is surprising. i guess gupton really, really struggled this year. thanks for the intel
JCooke93
Mississippi State Pitcher Graham Yntema who is in the portal just followed Chrysler
James Henderson
Staff
pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

'dang, that is surprising. i guess gupton really, really struggled this year. thanks for the intel
Gupton's issue was always going to be the bat. If you can't get on base your speed?
pack2010
James Henderson said:

pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

dang, that is surprising. i guess gupton really, really struggled this year. thanks for the intel
Gupton's issue was always going to be the bat. If you can't get on base your speed?

oh for sure, no doubt. but with this staff track record of developing hitters, i had high hopes. curious to see if a P5 school takes a chance on him
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

I've noticed a lot of highly rated (at least from PG/PBR rankings) kids are hitting the portal this week. Duke and Miami lost a couple in Oliver Santos (top 50 kid last year) and Kaden Martin (Tee's kid and a top 70 recruit). Top 75 kid Austin Henry is in the portal as well from Wichita State.

I was hoping that Gup would go the Josh McLain route and stay the course. Josh couldn't hit a lick as a FR then got better every year in Raleigh, damn good CF'er too.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
Yup
wilmwolf
3rdGenPacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I can't imagine leaving my teammates while they are playing in the post season, but these are new times.
NCAA has limits on number of people that can travel, so these guys might have been told they're not traveling anyway. So, they're not missing anything by entering portal now instead of waiting till team is finished playing.

Yup, could definitely see that with Gupton and Barkett for sure. I would've thought Pilolli would have traveled due to his experience and being one of our two LH bats that have seen action pinch hitting this year, but maybe not.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JCooke93
Go Pack
I40Wolf
Who is BoRob?
pack2010
I40Wolf said:

Who is BoRob?

Bo Robinson, technically he's the director of player development. Came from UNCC a couple years ago, really good hitting coach
Packsd14me
wilmwolf80 said:

3rdGenPacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yup, could definitely see that with Gupton and Barkett for sure. I would've thought Pilolli would have traveled due to his experience and being one of our two LH bats that have seen action pinch hitting this year, but maybe not.
is it 25 or 30 that can travel?
I40Wolf
pack2010 said:

I40Wolf said:

Who is BoRob?

Bo Robinson, technically he's the director of player development. Came from UNCC a couple years ago, really good hitting coach
Thank you
JCooke93
Also helping with the hitters and Outfielders
Alex Gee
Staff
Packsd14me said:

wilmwolf80 said:

3rdGenPacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Most recent number I can find is 27. So right in the middle.
Glasswolf
Just be prepared.

Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Packsd14me
Alex Gee said:

Packsd14me said:

wilmwolf80 said:

3rdGenPacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Most recent number I can find is 27. So right in the middle.
Green's injury probably makes Falksen more important than Pilolli
James Henderson
Staff
I'd imagine this postseason is the last we see of Payton Green too
JCooke93
Yup
pack2010
James Henderson said:

would be a mini bummer, but with how the portal is- his production is replaceable.
wilmwolf
James Henderson said:

I said this a few weeks ago, but if he sees himself as a SS at the next level he probably needs a fresh start somewhere. He's lost that position twice now, and I'm not sure the coaches would be keen on giving him a third go there. Stinks because he's a good player, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
FlockaWolf
As SSU and now Catcher U I think we will be able to replace Peyton Green if he were to leave.
SportManagementEngineer
Sucks to lose homegrown talent but as others have stated, its not that difficult to replace the production these days with the portal and more HS guys seeming to make it to campus.

Hell, we lost the best freshman in the country off last year's team and achieved more this year as a team. Maybe our guys will make a good impression on some of the Campbell players this weekend.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
FLWolf
2673 already in the transfer portal-going to be crazy

Not sure how you keep up with everyone-better trust your analytics to narrow your list
SportManagementEngineer
FLWolf said:

Not sure how you keep up with everyone-better trust your analytics to narrow your list
I liked the approach our hoops staff took this year with only going after major conference guys to take some of the guessing out. You could probably build a competitive lineup and pitching staff just out of the guys in the portal from other ACC schools.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
tau06
JCooke93 said:

Well

Well. Are you implying we are losing one of Cozart or Peebles? Because that is what it would appear you are saying
CLTWolf
To continue the discussion about bringing in D2/D3 studs to play D1 baseball, Va Tech apparently got a commit from this kid who played at D3 Elizabethtown College. He mashed and mashed hard.

https://etownbluejays.com/sports/baseball/roster/ben-watson/14886
JCooke93
Wow
CLTWolf
SportManagementEngineer said:

FLWolf said:

I liked the approach our hoops staff took this year with only going after major conference guys to take some of the guessing out. You could probably build a competitive lineup and pitching staff just out of the guys in the portal from other ACC schools.
Obviously that can be a good approach but, IMO, there's soooooo much talent (and parity) in college baseball that there's some really good ball players at the smaller school conferences. Just look at some of the ACC transfers from last year...

Angelo Dispigna - Samford to Ga Tech (hit .393 at Ga Tech this year, 2nd team All ACC)
Ian Farrow - FGCU to Miami
Bennett Lee - Tulane to Wake
Connelly Early - Army to UVA (3rd team All ACC)
Brian Edgington - Elon to UVA (3rd team All ACC)
Blake Hely - Davidson to ND (went 9-2 for the Irish)
Michael Massey - Tulane to Wake

and oddly enough, D1 baseball had Carter Trice as the 12th best overall transfer.

You can find talent in so many different places. I mean Jonny Butler and Austin Murr came from division 2 JUCOs and ended up being two of my favorite players ever.
FLWolf
FSU landed 3 already

I have no idea how you track this because baseball players come from anywhere in all sizes
JCooke93
Wow
JCooke93
1 High Point Pitcher Samuel Garcia just followed Chrysler and Robinson and they followed him back

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.