Baseball transfer portal...(and anything next season related)

150,247 Views | 1149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This off-season is going to be fun
M_A
CLTWolf said:

M_A said:

Tommy needs to play in the field. He's a 6 foot right hander, if he hits 27 HRs every year thats a 1st rounder profile as a DH but if youre him you arent taking the risk that he takes one off the wrist and loses his power for a year
He just doesn't have a position. I spoke with a scout for the Nationals about this at the Miami game last week. I asked him if he thought Tommy was a first rounder and he brought up at what position and in which league? This guy had watched Tommy play since HS. What the scout did love was the abundance of backside power that he has. Tommy's ability to go the other way is like nothing I've seen before.
The Mets have a guy who hits opposite field bombs like him in AAA who also doesnt have a position and strikes out so much he might not make it at the next level but he's 6'4 and made it to AA before they had to move him off 3B

Tommy got moved out of the field his first year in college. As it stands that dude at Cheater Hill is a better prospect after their FR years. Doesnt mean it'll stay that way and if Tommy can keep hitting like this teams will find a place for him. But he's just not gonna get the same benefit of the doubt a guy who is playing short or CF right now is, even if that guy wont stick there long term
"It's ACC Championship or bust, quite honestly"
SniderFC
Is Josh Hood definitely gone?
CLTWolf
M_A said:

CLTWolf said:

M_A said:

Tommy needs to play in the field. He's a 6 foot right hander, if he hits 27 HRs every year thats a 1st rounder profile as a DH but if youre him you arent taking the risk that he takes one off the wrist and loses his power for a year
He just doesn't have a position. I spoke with a scout for the Nationals about this at the Miami game last week. I asked him if he thought Tommy was a first rounder and he brought up at what position and in which league? This guy had watched Tommy play since HS. What the scout did love was the abundance of backside power that he has. Tommy's ability to go the other way is like nothing I've seen before.
The Mets have a guy who hits opposite field bombs like him in AAA who also doesnt have a position and strikes out so much he might not make it at the next level but he's 6'4 and made it to AA before they had to move him off 3B

Tommy got moved out of the field his first year in college. As it stands that dude at Cheater Hill is a better prospect after their FR years. Doesnt mean it'll stay that way and if Tommy can keep hitting like this teams will find a place for him. But he's just not gonna get the same benefit of the doubt a guy who is playing short or CF right now is, even if that guy wont stick there long term
We are agreeing, I don't think Tommy is a first rounder and neither did the Assistant Director of Scouting for the Nationals. But when you have a kid with few holes in their swing, they'll get a chance or 10.

Honeycutt has been a better prospect, I mean he was drafted out of HS. His size and speed alone make him a better prospect than most being that he's 6'3/6'4 200plus pounds and fast as hell. He's got some work to do with the bat and he needs to cut down on his 82 strikeouts on the season. There's a lot to work with there.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
CLTWolf
SniderFC said:

Is Josh Hood definitely gone?
if he's drafted, I would leave if I were him. This is his leverage year.
JCooke93
I agree 100
M_A
If we can put together a star studded team next year and he's crushing bombs the next two years while we win, he'll go high enough

The Melendez kid who is ahead of him in HRs is probably a late 1st or comp pick this year and he's in his 4th season out of HS

Torkelson is 6'1 and went 1st overall although the Tigers were confident enough in his fielding they announced him as a 3B on draft night (whether they actually believed that, idk...though they tried him there in the minors a bit)
pack2010
just looking at NC kids who went to mid majors the last couple years, UNCW has a couple decent arms, but man- Garrett Horn at Liberty had a heck of a year. Now I know Liberty is a good team, not to mention i am assuming he is religious if he went there, but as a true freshman he threw 51 innings, 1.93 ERA 80/24 Ks/BB with a .167 BAA. And he's a lefty. Lets start tampering with him now
CLTWolf
M_A said:

If we can put together a star studded team next year and he's crushing bombs the next two years while we win, he'll go high enough

The Melendez kid who is ahead of him in HRs is probably a late 1st or comp pick this year and he's in his 4th season out of HS

Torkelson is 6'1 and went 1st overall although the Tigers were confident enough in his fielding they announced him as a 3B on draft night (whether they actually believed that, idk...though they tried him there in the minors a bit)
I hear ya but both Torkelson and Melendez are better athletes than Tommy. Melendez is like 6'3 225ish I think. But damn, Tommy doesn't have many holes in his swing at all. He's going to get his shot for sure, first round would be great but I don't see it just yet. Would love to be wrong.
Borowolf10
Wait, who is Falksen again?
pack2010
Borowolf10 said:

Wait, who is Falksen again?
Carson Falksen is a sophomore out of Cali that missed all of this year with a leg injury he suffered last summer. Middle infielder that started in the Pack13 game last year (obviously he was behind some very good players). He started at SS and 2nd in his 2 starts as a freshman. Supposed to be a good athlete, according to gopack set the Southern Cal single season record with stolen bases. Behind the scenes, coaches were optimistic about his future.
Borowolf10
Sounds like we will have the speed. Need some more power to go along with Tommy. Groover needs to workout with Thunder Dan and put on some muscle and he could be a 20 home run guy with how good of a hitter he is.
JCooke93
Go Pack
M_A
CLTWolf said:

M_A said:

I hear ya but both Torkelson and Melendez are better athletes than Tommy. Melendez is like 6'3 225ish I think. But damn, Tommy doesn't have many holes in his swing at all. He's going to get his shot for sure, first round would be great but I don't see it just yet. Would love to be wrong.
Yeah it's just really tough as a Right/Right 1B only prospect. There are always exceptions...let's hope Tommy is one of them
DJncsu13
Both Hart and Chrysler started following this guy: https://twitter.com/TroyWansing

Freshman Lefty Pitcher for Purdue. All Big Ten Freshman team. 91-93 fastball range, low 80's breaker, upper 70's change.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
CLTWolf
DJncsu13 said:

Both Hart and Chrysler started following this guy: https://twitter.com/TroyWansing

Freshman Lefty Pitcher for Purdue. All Big Ten Freshman team. 91-93 fastball range, low 80's breaker, upper 70's change.
Atta boy! Thx for adding this one, I have been swamped at the office today and haven't been able to do any tweeter snooping.

If Chris Hart starts following someone, probably pay attention b/c that dude is ultra conservative with his follows. lol
wilmwolf
I just want a couple of flame throwers. We just haven't been able to get many of those types to campus of late, and it seems like we play so many teams with a weekend guy throwing 95. I like the Matt Willadsen crafty types, but a weekend rotation this year with three location dependent, pitch to contact guys leaves me wanting someone who can throw heat.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
DJncsu13
CLTWolf said:

Couple names to add…

Brandyn Garcia LHP Quinnipiac (transfer portal)

Grant Dittmer LHP Lansing CC - this kid has some big numbers in JUCO this season. Currently playing in the JUCO D2 World Series. 10-1 with 118 K's on the season.

Hart is following Garcia now.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I just want a couple of flame throwers. We just haven't been able to get many of those types to campus of late, and it seems like we play so many teams with a weekend guy throwing 95. I like the Matt Willadsen crafty types, but a weekend rotation this year with three location dependent, pitch to contact guys leaves me wanting someone who can throw heat.
I feel like we are looking for hard throwing LHPs in the portal and JUCO.
Kohl Drake Walters State (he's a 90-93 guy)
Grant Dittmer Lansing CC (no idea his velocity but has 118 K's so far this season)
Brandyn Garcia Quinnipiac
Troy Wansing Purdue

There's four right there that we just know of from mining twitter.

unc has two JUCO power arms committed in Matt Poston and Jake Knapp. Poston is at Flo-Dar CC (from Greenville, SC) and Knapp went to Page HS in GSO. Knapp apparently throws straight gas. He's out of Walters State as well. Would love to know how unc got their foot in the door at this place. Since like 2010 I've counted 6 dudes from Walters that end up in CH. Now that Robert Woodard is at Charlotte, he's landed 4 or 5 kids from there. 3 in one class. Cam Fisher has been a stud for them this year.

Would love to land Drake out of Walters State but he probably gets drafted or goes back home to Texas.
CLTWolf
DJncsu13 said:

CLTWolf said:

Couple names to add…

Brandyn Garcia LHP Quinnipiac (transfer portal)

Grant Dittmer LHP Lansing CC - this kid has some big numbers in JUCO this season. Currently playing in the JUCO D2 World Series. 10-1 with 118 K's on the season.

Hart is following Garcia now.
Yeah, he's been on him since I noticed Bo Robinson was on him.

The Wansing kid has the trifecta with Bo, Clint and Hart with the follows. You know it's serious now! ha

metcalfmafia
We gonna need a SS? Noticed that Bo Robinson is following Maui Ahuna, SS, transferring from Kansas.
Jtilley
The Dittmer kid is in his 4th year of JUCO ball.....

Impressive.
Jtilley
metcalfmafia said:

We gonna need a SS? Noticed that Bo Robinson is following Maui Ahuna, SS, transferring from Kansas.
With as bad as our defense was this past year, I would 100% be trying to bring in a glove first SS.

I just haven't seen much from Green to trust him handling short.
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Bryant Zayas

Do a twitter search with his name and watch all the videos. Kid is smoooooooooooooth

Maui Ahuna is a STUD. Kid will/does have his pick of where he'll want to go next.
*Forgot to add that some other scouts at the Miami game last week were talking about Ahuna. I tried to engage with them about him but they didn't bite. haha. One dude just said he's probably on an airplane right now visiting any school he wants.
metcalfmafia
CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Bryant Zayas

Do a twitter search with his name and watch all the videos. Kid is smoooooooooooooth

Maui Ahuna is a STUD. Kid will/does have his pick of where he'll want to go next.
We gonna go freshman at SS after the Payton Green disaster this year? Love Zayas though.

Don't mean that as disrespect to Payton. I think he would agree he wasn't good there this year. Heck, after an offseason he might be back at SS and better.
metcalfmafia
Also saw on twitter than Zayas reclassified up a grade from 2023 so he is young for his grade.
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Also saw on twitter than Zayas reclassified up a grade from 2023 so he is young for his grade.
Looks like he's right on the money for his class now. He's 18 yrs 7 months according to his PG profile (I noticed this last night about the reclass as well). Basically, if he comes to school we got him for 3 years instead of 2.

As for a FR at SS, Jose Torres was looking pretty good in his first 17 games until COVID hit. Zayas is ranked similarly as Torres coming out of HS. Jose was 152 on PG (208 on PBR) and Zayas is ranked 199 on PG and 139 on PBR. Seems like the PBR guys like him.

I'm not opposed to bringing in an older SS as well but Zayas can be that guy on defense.
metcalfmafia
Dang. You're better at this than I am LOL
SniderFC
metcalfmafia said:

Baseball is CLT's thing lol
Wolfer79
SniderFC said:

metcalfmafia said:

Baseball is CLT's calling

friendly ammendment
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Nah, man. We're all good at this with time. I just stay up later than most since I suck at sleeping. haha
CLTWolf
SniderFC said:

metcalfmafia said:

Baseball is CLT's thing lol
Nah brother, J Cooke is the baseball king around these parts. I just hope to be half as good as he is!
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Looks like he's right on the money for his class now. He's 18 yrs 7 months according to his PG profile (I noticed this last night about the reclass as well). Basically, if he comes to school we got him for 3 years instead of 2.

As for a FR at SS, Jose Torres was looking pretty good in his first 17 games until COVID hit. Zayas is ranked similarly as Torres coming out of HS. Jose was 152 on PG (208 on PBR) and Zayas is ranked 199 on PG and 139 on PBR. Seems like the PBR guys like him.

I'm not opposed to bringing in an older SS as well but Zayas can be that guy on defense.
Mannn you have to take PG grades with a grain of salt IMO. A lot of those "Write ups" are from when kids are 15-16 years old still.

Go back and look at our previous classes and you will be very surprised at who the higher ranked kids were that aren't here anymore. They show the higher ranked kids top to bottom for each class so its pretty easy, but outside of the can't miss types like Watson, a lot of them are a crap shoot for their grades/rankings.

Edit to add that I would take a freshman Torres at short any day of the week. You could tell from day one he was going to be very good there.
JCooke93
I appreciate that also some of these players that are in the portal I find out from you guys
wolfman18
Maybe a troll, but saw something on the bird about Tommy maybe leaving....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.