Baseball transfer portal...(and anything next season related)

148,396 Views | 1149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pack2010 said:

Jtilley said:

This made me think, but I bet if season started tomorrow, Groover is batting leadoff.

i think groover is perfect in the 2 hole. Avent likes his best bat there, and I think that is Gino. I think Gupton is our leadoff guy. He struggled some his senior year, but he has also hit .343 in 57 perfect game event games so I think he can handle the bat just fine personally. not sure we have a true leadoff guy on campus right now
He hit .253 his SR year and there are real concerns about his bat with scouts/coaches. I think he'll have some growing pains but if he hits the ball on the ground and learns to bunt, watch out.

As we've seen with Avent he ain't scared to get weird with the lineups. The last two years we've seen Austin Murr and Brown act as leadoffs. And it worked. haha
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

pack2010 said:

Jtilley said:

This made me think, but I bet if season started tomorrow, Groover is batting leadoff.

i think groover is perfect in the 2 hole. Avent likes his best bat there, and I think that is Gino. I think Gupton is our leadoff guy. He struggled some his senior year, but he has also hit .343 in 57 perfect game event games so I think he can handle the bat just fine personally. not sure we have a true leadoff guy on campus right now
Groover will be fine wherever he hits and he might very well stay batting second.

I just thought leadoff because past couple years we have put a higher OBP guy there who might not be your typical lead off type. Murr last two years, Brown this year.

If Gupton can get on base then yea he makes a lot of sense, if not, then it will be interesting to see who is there.
TMac, Butler and Tatum all had higher OBPs than Murr last year. I always thought Jonny Butler would've been a great leadoff guy but he was damn good hitting 3rd too. ha
JCooke93
Yes he was
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Jtilley said:

He hit .253 his SR year and there are real concerns about his bat with scouts/coaches. I think he'll have some growing pains but if he hits the ball on the ground and learns to bunt, watch out.

As we've seen with Avent he ain't scared to get weird with the lineups. The last two years we've seen Austin Murr and Brown act as leadoffs. And it worked. haha

no doubt he struggled some, and has some swing and miss too. but for his career he is about a .340 hitter in HS and PG events. I know that is relatively low for HS average for a player of his caliber, but i am sure the pressure got to him some this year. I don't see why he can't come in and hit .280-.290 and get on base a decent bit assuming he makes contact. hit the ball on the ground and run.

either way, it'll be a good problem to have if he makes it on campus. that's what makes this off-season so unique, i think we have 2 legit high level freshmen that will play everyday if we can get them.
JCooke93
I feel good about them two
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Jtilley said:

no doubt he struggled some, and has some swing and miss too. but for his career he is about a .340 hitter in HS and PG events. I know that is relatively low for HS average for a player of his caliber, but i am sure the pressure got to him some this year. I don't see why he can't come in and hit .280-.290 and get on base a decent bit assuming he makes contact. hit the ball on the ground and run.

either way, it'll be a good problem to have if he makes it on campus. that's what makes this off-season so unique, i think we have 2 legit high level freshmen that will play everyday if we can get them.
He could surprise and having Chris Hart and Bo Robinson work with him will be a tremendous help as well. I just hope fans don't get discouraged (assuming he's not drafted/signed) if he's more Jacob Cozart with the bat than Tommy White. I said it above, if Gupton focuses on hitting the ball on the ground and his bunting, his OBP will be up there.
JCooke93
Yup
pack2010
unless things change over the next couple days, Hodges wont be transferring to NCSU. the search for more pen arms continues
JCooke93
Ugh
castlewood107
Any insight as to why it didnt work?

This one seemed like a slam dunk. We have an obvious role, he transfers up, an in-state kid so tuition is manageable after his partial scholly.
pack2010
castlewood107 said:

Any insight as to why it didnt work?

This one seemed like a slam dunk. We have an obvious role, he transfers up, an in-state kid so tuition is manageable after his partial scholly.

not entirely sure just yet, because i agree. if/when i hear more i'll certainly pass it along.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

pack2010 said:

Jtilley said:

Groover will be fine wherever he hits and he might very well stay batting second.

I just thought leadoff because past couple years we have put a higher OBP guy there who might not be your typical lead off type. Murr last two years, Brown this year.

If Gupton can get on base then yea he makes a lot of sense, if not, then it will be interesting to see who is there.
TMac, Butler and Tatum all had higher OBPs than Murr last year. I always thought Jonny Butler would've been a great leadoff guy but he was damn good hitting 3rd too. ha
I would not have guessed Tatum had a higher OBP than Murr. I liked Murr at lead off though, he was such a hard out.

Butler did bat leadoff some before Murr arrived I think?
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Jtilley said:

He could surprise and having Chris Hart and Bo Robinson work with him will be a tremendous help as well. I just hope fans don't get discouraged (assuming he's not drafted/signed) if he's more Jacob Cozart with the bat than Tommy White. I said it above, if Gupton focuses on hitting the ball on the ground and his bunting, his OBP will be up there.
Batting .253 in HS ball as a Sr is honestly really really bad for a player of his caliber.

And I am serious when I say this but you don't see many guys trying to hit the ball on the ground anymore. They are drilled launch angle/exit velo now from an early age. Yes you still have guys in college ball that are slap hitters but they don't have the draft profile he does. The exit velos also make it seem like his swing is towards that as well. I could be way off here but that will be interesting.
JCooke93
Any portal news yet today ?
JCooke93
So A Texas Longhorn FR All American Just went into the portal
PackFansXL
JCooke93 said:

The Longhorns are a mess right now. They just fired one of their top assistants, most of the team will be gone after the draft, and their best assistant is likely to get a head coaching job.
JCooke93
Wow
Borowolf10
JCooke93 said:

Who?
JCooke93
Coach Chrysler Just Followed Parker Nolan From Davidson and He Just followed him back also Coach Robinson has been following him for a while now
CLTWolf
Borowolf10 said:

JCooke93 said:

Who?

Aaron Nixon
9 saves last year as a FR
5 saves this season.
JCooke93
I hope we at least make a phone call
PackFansXL
CLTWolf said:

Borowolf10 said:

JCooke93 said:

Who?

Aaron Nixon
5 saves this season.
He was very good last year. Not so good this year. They didn't even use him in Omaha this year although they didn't exactly have save opportunities. His disappointing year is one of the reasons UT is looking for a new pitching coach.
JCooke93
Yup
CLTWolf
PackFansXL said:

CLTWolf said:

Borowolf10 said:

JCooke93 said:

Who?

Aaron Nixon
5 saves this season.
He was very good last year. Not so good this year. They didn't even use him in Omaha this year although they didn't exactly have save opportunities. His disappointing year is one of the reasons UT is looking for a new pitching coach.
Firing Sean Allen was stupid, IMO.

Nixon's problem was control issues from what I read. He just needs some confidence and that will go a long way for him.

I bet Schlossnagle and Yeskie at A&M would love to have this kid.
JCooke93
Yes they would
CLTWolf

JCooke93
Mercer Outfielder Thomas going to Florida ugh
JCooke93
Starting to Heat up in Raleigh NC
Borowolf10
JCooke93 said:

Starting to Heat up in Raleigh NC

Oh really…?
JCooke93
Yes had a visit to NC State last week and one NC State visit today that's all I can say
kmb717
Lot of smoke that Tommy is going to LSU. Wonder how that came about.
JCooke93
Vist them yesterday
kmb717
JCooke93 said:

Vist them yesterday

Gotcha. How did they even get in the mix though?
JCooke93
Don't know
kmb717
LSU going crazy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.