Baseball transfer portal...(and anything next season related)

150,283 Views | 1149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
griff17matt said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Packsd14me said:

pack2010 said:

not sure where else to put this, but Keith Law doesn't have Villaman or any of our commits in his latest top 100. of course, doesn't say much, but there you go
Most services have him 4-5 round ...that's 120- 150 range

yup. TBH i was more looking to see if Gupton or Serrano were on there. Both being top 40 players (according to perfect game) was curious if they would sneak into there
Gupton is kind of a polarizing player, IMO. PG likes him a lot but PBR has him in the 150 range (156) which is still quite good. Serrano is 59th on PBR and 39th on PG but I really do think he's telling people he's going to school. Serrano is legit good.
Do you know where White was ranked by each of those services for comparison sake?
18th on PG
73rd on PBR
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

There seems to be a trend of middle infielders
I don't follow?
Jtilley
griff17matt said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Packsd14me said:

pack2010 said:

not sure where else to put this, but Keith Law doesn't have Villaman or any of our commits in his latest top 100. of course, doesn't say much, but there you go
Most services have him 4-5 round ...that's 120- 150 range

yup. TBH i was more looking to see if Gupton or Serrano were on there. Both being top 40 players (according to perfect game) was curious if they would sneak into there
Gupton is kind of a polarizing player, IMO. PG likes him a lot but PBR has him in the 150 range (156) which is still quite good. Serrano is 59th on PBR and 39th on PG but I really do think he's telling people he's going to school. Serrano is legit good.
Do you know where White was ranked by each of those services for comparison sake?
He was a top 40 guy or so.

I don't think Gupton signs unless someone just falls in love him and can float some extra bonus money.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

I don't follow?
With all of the twitter follows etc, just seems to be a lot of middle infielders we are targeting if thats what we are going off of?
Borowolf10
I'm really excited about this freshman class. Serrano and Gupton can be legit stars.
Jtilley
Borowolf10 said:

I'm really excited about this freshman class. Serrano and Gupton can be legit stars.
If Gupton can hit just a little he will end up making a lot of money.

For comparison, Bradfield at Vandy recorded a 6.26 60 and he is what I would consider a 80 grade runner. Gupton ran a 5.96 and has about 15MPH more exit velo.
JCooke93
Robinson Just Followed a Outfielder from Davidson
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Robinson Just Followed a Outfielder from Davidson

Trevor Candelaria can play and he can run a little bit too.
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

I don't follow?
With all of the twitter follows etc, just seems to be a lot of middle infielders we are targeting if thats what we are going off of?

I think there are potentially a lot of questions surrounding the entire INF right now. Let the draft happen and then let's see what we got, ya know?
Do we move Gino to 2B? DH? Can/will Serrano play 1st? Broken record here but he can be a better version of the Wake FR, IMO.
Where does Green play? SS/3rd/somewhere else? Does Hood come back?

Lots of questions.
wilmwolf
I typically think of middle infielders as being pretty versatile guys as well. Just because a guy played SS at his previous school doesn't mean he couldn't play, say CF for us. But as you say, a lot of unknowns at this point.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JCooke93
Go Pack 9
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

I typically think of middle infielders as being pretty versatile guys as well. Just because a guy played SS at his previous school doesn't mean he couldn't play, say CF for us. But as you say, a lot of unknowns at this point.
Regardless of what position they end up playing for us, I hope they all are good to great defensive players
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

For some reason I initially had it in my head he meant HS kids. Of course for most HSs, the best player on the team plays SS. But you nailed it, lots of kids that play SS can play middle INF, corner INF and OF positions as well.

I went back to look, doesn't look like we're after a ton of MIF types. And some we might not be after much, just made the initial "twitter" contact.

Trevor Candelaria - OF Davidson. Played CF and RF, mainly RF
Caleb Denny - He's an OF. Played all 59 games in RF for Oral Roberts
Colby Thomas - Also an OFer for Mercer. 40 games in RF and 1 in CF
Bill Knight - 58 games in CF for Mercer. Did play 5 games at 3B his FR year. ha
Towns King - This kid has played all over. 1B, 2B, LF, CF and RF as well.
Dylan Ditzenberger - Dylan has played every position on the diamond except for C. He even pitched 4.2 innings in the Texas Collegiate League back in 2018. haha
Santi Montiel - SS only
Carter Trice - Has played 73 games at 2B, 36 games in RF, 3 in LF, 5 at 3B and 2 at SS. I think he's an OF but can play in the INF in a pinch. All those games at 2B came last year after the original starter was injured.
Jack Pineda - 23 games at 2B and 86 at SS

Safe to say we're looking for help in the OF as well as kids that can possibly play 2B but other positions as well. That's just my guess (the 2B part), of course.

*I looked quickly so I might've missed some names.
JCooke93
Carter Young Vanderbilt
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Carter Young Vanderbilt
Thank you.

All games played at SS for Carter.
rwwalsh
Ryan Waldschmidt- was a freshman at Charleston Southern. Hit .310, 9 homers, 18 SBs, and more walks than Ks. A recent follow of Bo. Intriguing.
CLTWolf
rwwalsh said:

Ryan Waldschmidt- was a freshman at Charleston Southern. Hit .310, 9 homers, 18 SBs, and more walks than Ks. A recent follow of Bo. Intriguing.
played in 25 games at 3B, 3 at 2B, 14 in CF, 3 in LF and 2 in RF.

He's playing in the Coastal Plain league for Asheboro this summer and is playing in the OF there so far in 9 games. Has played in 3 games at 2nd as well.

Add Parker Nolan to the list as well. Another Davidson OF who also had a big season this year.
6'4 205 CF (played every game in CF)
Hit .310 15 bombs, 50 RBI, 12 SBs, 1.105 OPS and very DBrown-like 40 walks and 60 Ks. From Hoggard HS in Wilmington. First team all conference for Davidson (they had a big season).

pack2010
rwwalsh said:

former top 500 recruit too. wonder how he ended up at Charleston Southern. nice #s
CLTWolf
Jack Goleski LHP Pitt CC

Looks like he's recovering (or recovered) from arm surgery of some sort. What I assume was his FR year at Pitt, his numbers weren't great but he did have 54 K's in 39.2 innings and only 18 walks. From the same HS as Andrew Knizner.
rbaker
JC what's your guess on portal takes?
JCooke93
I really like what the coaching staff is doing
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

For some reason I initially had it in my head he meant HS kids. Of course for most HSs, the best player on the team plays SS. But you nailed it, lots of kids that play SS can play middle INF, corner INF and OF positions as well.

I went back to look, doesn't look like we're after a ton of MIF types. And some we might not be after much, just made the initial "twitter" contact.

Dylan Ditzenberger - Dylan has played every position on the diamond except for C. He even pitched 4.2 innings in the Texas Collegiate League back in 2018. haha
Santi Montiel - SS only
Carter Trice - Has played 73 games at 2B, 36 games in RF, 3 in LF, 5 at 3B and 2 at SS. I think he's an OF but can play in the INF in a pinch. All those games at 2B came last year after the original starter was injured.

Safe to say we're looking for help in the OF as well as kids that can possibly play 2B but other positions as well. That's just my guess (the 2B part), of course.

I can't keep up with all the names and honestly it could have been in my subconscious or something, just seemed like a lot of the people the staff or names being mentioned were MIF.

But you're right, the best kid in HS typically always plays SS and move in college.

I would think Hood is gone since it is his leverage year, that would basically open up 2B, SS (or 3rd if you think Green can handle either).

Groover played 2nd some at Charlotte but I don't see him moving to the middle.

Trice seems pretty versatile as well but I have no clue about his defense.
JCooke93
Outfielder
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Santi Montiel - SS only

I can't keep up with all the names and honestly it could have been in my subconscious or something, just seemed like a lot of the people the staff or names being mentioned were MIF.

But you're right, the best kid in HS typically always plays SS and move in college.

I would think Hood is gone since it is his leverage year, that would basically open up 2B, SS (or 3rd if you think Green can handle either).

That's why I went back and looked b/c I thought the same in my "subconscious" as well.

According to baseball reference, Gino played in 37 games at first, 14 games at 2nd and 6 in RF. I think he could be a candidate for DH (just my opinion). Eli Serrano is my prototype 1B being tall and left handed.

From what I've been reading, I think Trice is an OF and only played 2nd out of necessity. Having said that, watch him pop up at 3rd next year. haha

We all thought Devonte was gone last year too...(in regards to being drafted/leverage year)
JCooke93
Eli is coming in as a Outfielder but I could see him at 1B some
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Eli is coming in as a Outfielder but I could see him at 1B some
Totally. He does share time at first and RF with the Raleigh kid going to Vandy.
JCooke93
Yup
JCooke93
Something to keep a eye on but Caleb Cozart is now in the portal out of UNC Chapel Hill
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Santi Montiel - SS only

That's why I went back and looked b/c I thought the same in my "subconscious" as well.

According to baseball reference, Gino played in 37 games at first, 14 games at 2nd and 6 in RF. I think he could be a candidate for DH (just my opinion). Eli Serrano is my prototype 1B being tall and left handed.

From what I've been reading, I think Trice is an OF and only played 2nd out of necessity. Having said that, watch him pop up at 3rd next year. haha

We all thought Devonte was gone last year too...(in regards to being drafted/leverage year)
The draft is so hard to predict with who signs and who doesn't so I agree with you there 100%. We can make best guesses but we still miss on a few every year in HS and our guys.

This year seems even more challenging on who will come back or sign. Villiman is the only sure fire IMO unless a medical pops up or something. Hood would be my second best guess then the rest are toss ups or should probably come back for a year.

I agree on Gino as well, his best position is "Hitter". I am interested to see if he plays field anymore next year since it is his draft year.

I don't know enough about Trice or the incoming freshman to predict, other than I would assume Gupton has best shot at CF with his speed alone but who knows.
Packsd14me
Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Santi Montiel - SS only

The draft is so hard to predict with who signs and who doesn't so I agree with you there 100%. We can make best guesses but we still miss on a few every year in HS and our guys.

This year seems even more challenging on who will come back or sign. Villiman is the only sure fire IMO unless a medical pops up or something. Hood would be my second best guess then the rest are toss ups or should probably come back for a year.

I agree on Gino as well, his best position is "Hitter". I am interested to see if he plays field anymore next year since it is his draft year.

I don't know enough about Trice or the incoming freshman to predict, other than I would assume Gupton has best shot at CF with his speed alone but who knows.
The draft situation is tough this year. Serrano looks to be the highest predicted in-coming player we have, about the same as Villaman. Gupton, I think we have a better chance to get on campus, predicted 8-12th. Zayas is a project in later rounds. It depends on what the drafting club is looking for. Villaman, Hood 8-10 (and gone if so), Highfill about the same (will he leave here or come back for first round money next year after the injury, or will the drafting team offer a big bonus over slot to sign him?), Piloli around 15th and I think he leaves, Willasden 16-17th maybe he is gone, but Soles had no projection in two of the more reliable services.

So if they all leave, we need a lot. If they don't, we will need arms and a player or two more other than Trice.

I actually saw Groover play 2B a couple games in Charlotte. His hands are good, range is good, feet aren't bad and arm is average. I do think he can handle second, if needed. He is playing outfield this summer, so he is trying to show versatility, we all know he can hit. Where will Nixon, Marcy and especially Green play?

I have seen Waldschmidt and Nolan play, both can play but where for us is the question, how do they fit. And who is the SS, I don't see many of those names other than the Vandy guy, Carter Young. His stats are down and I think he is coming off a shoulder injury. Steady defense, a little pop, but decreasing average every season. Why is he leaving?

So lots of questions I think that can't be answered yet but lots of teams in that boat. Patience, I think, is the answer.

CLT, Justin, Pack2010, jtilley and others- thanks for the research, saves me time.
JCooke93
I really like what we are doing
rbaker
JC have we added any transfers?
JCooke93
Not yet
CLTWolf

Figured he was going back out west.
JCooke93
Yup

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.