Baseball transfer portal...(and anything next season related)

150,207 Views | 1149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
Jtilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IMO this past year we brought in a bunch of people in that could hit but no real position defensively or lack there of.

Add in losing your two best defensive players in Brown and JT and we have some holes we really need to figure out.

Bas2020
Go poach some good pitchers off of other teams .

Several . Pay them NIL $$$.
Bell Tower Grey
Either he stays at State or he goes somewhere else.
JCooke93
Groover isn't going anywhere
CLTWolf
A friend of mine from college has a nephew on the team and is a roommate of Tommy White. The last two times I saw the uncle (today and last week) he's said great things about Tommy and his nephew said Tommy is a great teammate and loves State. Said Tommy isn't about the "bright lights".
I'll see him again this week at the pool and hope he'll have talked to his nephew again with more info.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
pack2010
unfortunate that this thread is now relevant so early. but there are going to be some big decisions to make for some guys, especially draft eligible sophomores. dom P and villaman were certainly on draft boards heading into this year, did they do enough to get the top 10-12 round picks considering their leverage? Dom P, no i dont think so. Villaman, I could really see him being a top 5 round pick after next year. he was great 80% of the time, but he wasn't perfect. and considering he doesnt throw 95-97 like Justice, who knows. he could surprise and come back (don't expect it, but it wouldn't be a full surprise either). IMO those 2 and I guess soles are the only sophomores that have a decision to make. I always assume juniors that are drafted will go (as they should).

I do think a couple more guys will enter the portal. Guys like Eisert, Giles, Lavoie, Godman, etc. simply don't have a path to playing time right now. Not to mention a couple pitchers will likely enter too.

IMO I think the squad would/could look something like this. Naturally we will bring in a transfer or two. One or both of these freshmen might not make it to campus. Positions will always shift. etc.

C- Cozart
1st- Eli S (freshman)
2nd- Groover
SS- Falksen
3rd- Green
OF- Soles
OF- Gupton (freshman)
OF- Dom P
DH- White
JCooke93
Close but no
Catcher Cozart/Godman
1B Groover/White
2B Falsken/Groover/Green
SS Green
3B White
JCooke93
Also who knows if Dom will get draft or udfa same with Soles
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Close but no
Catcher Cozart/Godman
1B Groover/White
2B Falsken/Groover/Green
SS Green
3B White

close but no? literally the season ended yesterday. we have no idea what is going to happen
griff17matt
pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

Close but no
Catcher Cozart/Godman
1B Groover/White
2B Falsken/Groover/Green
SS Green
3B White

close but no? literally the season ended yesterday. we have no idea what is going to happen

Jcooke knows all and generally tells none besides winky faces and cryptic messages that mean nothing. I do think Tommy has to be in the field somewhere though. 3B 1B take your pick. He needs to show he can field some too, imo.
pack2010
griff17matt said:

pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

Close but no
Catcher Cozart/Godman
1B Groover/White
2B Falsken/Groover/Green
SS Green
3B White

Jcooke knows all and generally tells none besides winky faces and cryptic messages that mean nothing. I do think Tommy has to be in the field somewhere though. 3B 1B take your pick. He needs to show he can field some too, imo.

yeah i agree. i am all for letting white play in the field, no doubt. IMO green needs to drastically improve in the infield or move to the OF if he wants to play in the field. he was making very routine plays look difficult. What I typed, IMO, would be our best 9 that is also semi realistic.
James Henderson
Staff
griff17matt said:

pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

Close but no
Catcher Cozart/Godman
1B Groover/White
2B Falsken/Groover/Green
SS Green
3B White

Yep
EthanBarry
Staff
Assuming Gupton and Serrano make it to campus, I don't think there's room for Pilolli and Soles next year. Can Pilolli boost his stock by being healthy the full year? Dunno. Middle infield is the biggest question for me by far
CLTWolf
Just watched some video of Bryant Zayas and he's the prototype of a SS. He's so damn smooth and if he makes it to school, that's our starting SS. I do worry about his bat though, as his stats in HS are uninspiring.

Gupton and Serrano will play. Serrano would be the dream first baseman, 6'5 and lefthanded...yes plz. Not sure how much he's played there as he's played in the outfield from what I can tell (tho PG has him listed as a OF/1B). Eli Serrano could be next year's Nick Kurtz (FR at Wake) at 1B.

I really hope we get to see Gupton roaming CF next year. All those analysts thought Vance Honeycutt was fast out there...shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I'm not really concerned about the lineup as pretty much any Avent/Hart team will hit. We need Sam Highfill to make it back healthy in that Friday spot. I would love to see Payne, Kelly and Miralia make that jump. Robert Evans and Derrick Smith are very good and hopefully they don't get drafted.

We'll need a closer. Not sure we have anyone on the roster right now that can lock it down. Robert Evans has the stuff but that's tough for a true FR, do we hunt the portal for one?

Once the draft is over, we'll have a lot of answers.

pack2010
EthanBarry said:

Assuming Gupton and Serrano make it to campus, I don't think there's room for Pilolli and Soles next year. Can Pilolli boost his stock by being healthy the full year? Dunno. Middle infield is the biggest question for me by far

you'd have to make room for those guys right? especially Soles. he was one of out better players when he was inserted into the lineup full time. but agreed MIF is a question mark. you just have to assume if two guys are battling for a spot next year Avent might learn towards the better defender. can't have a repeat of this year
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

Just watched some video of Bryant Zayas and he's the prototype of a SS. He's so damn smooth and if he makes it to school, that's our starting SS. I do worry about his bat though, as his stats in HS are uninspiring.

Gupton and Serrano will play. Serrano would be the dream first baseman, 6'5 and lefthanded...yes plz. Not sure how much he's played there as he's played in the outfield from what I can tell (tho PG has him listed as a OF/1B). Eli Serrano could be next year's Nick Kurtz (FR at Wake) at 1B.

I really hope we get to see Gupton roaming CF next year. All those analysts thought Vance Honeycutt was fast out there...shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I'm not really concerned about the lineup as pretty much any Avent/Hart team will hit. We need Sam Highfill to make it back healthy in that Friday spot. I would love to see Payne, Kelly and Miralia make that jump. Robert Evans and Derrick Smith are very good and hopefully they don't get drafted.

We'll need a closer. Not sure we have anyone on the roster right now that can lock it down. Robert Evans has the stuff but that's tough for a true FR, do we hunt the portal for one?

IMO i think justin lawson is our closer next year. he seems to have the stuff to be good enough at the backend. not the velo you typically want, but a good enough 1-2 combo that can get 6 or so outs
Ellesdad
Soles was one of our best hitters. I think he hit over .320. He was a very timely hitter.

Can't say the same about DP.
metcalfmafia
Villaman for sure gone?
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

IMO i think justin lawson is our closer next year. he seems to have the stuff to be good enough at the backend. not the velo you typically want, but a good enough 1-2 combo that can get 6 or so outs
Good call out and I honestly forgot him (can't believe I did that lol). He's 90-92 right now and that slider is dirty when it's on. He wouldn't be a terrible choice. I like him in long relief but not a bad option as a closer either.

Chrysler and Robinson are looking at arms so I'm sure we'll see a couple new older guys hit the roster.
wilmwolf
Important to remember that Dom is barely a year removed from his knee injury. Would expect him to improve next season.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
EthanBarry
Staff
pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

you'd have to make room for those guys right? especially Soles. he was one of out better players when he was inserted into the lineup full time. but agreed MIF is a question mark. you just have to assume if two guys are battling for a spot next year Avent might learn towards the better defender. can't have a repeat of this year
I don't consider them good enough to "make room for". Soles had an 850 OPS and Pilolli had an 880 OPS. Replaceable defensively and you prob need to get Serrano in the outfield
EthanBarry
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

Important to remember that Dom is barely a year removed from his knee injury. Would expect him to improve next season.
I agree but he may just want to sign. Who knows. I was impressed with him this year
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Villaman for sure gone?
edited for fake news and incorrect link viewing.
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Villaman for sure gone?
D1 baseball has him as a 4th rounder in their latest top 150. Has Sam as a 3rd rounder. Ugh.
Highfill is a third rounder???
metcalfmafia
CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Villaman for sure gone?
D1 baseball has him as a 4th rounder in their latest top 150. Has Sam as a 3rd rounder. Ugh.

No way Sam gets drafted.
pack2010
EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

I don't consider them good enough to "make room for". Soles had an 850 OPS and Pilolli had an 880 OPS. Replaceable defensively and you prob need to get Serrano in the outfield

in what world is a 1st year starter that hit .320 with 11 doubles and a .396 OBP with solid defense (especially compared to Dom P and Marcy) and a very low K rate not good enough? I understand OPS is a great stat but Soles was a very, very solid baseball player.
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Villaman for sure gone?
Highfill is a third rounder???
Never mind I'm an idiot (hey bagman, wanna tattle to glass on that one too? lol), that was their top 250 from February and Sam was listed at 52.

The midseason top 150 does not have Sam listed and Villaman was listed in the 6th round. My bad! I clicked the wrong link.

I highlighted names of note (ACC).

1 Brooks Lee SS Cal Poly
2 Daniel Susac* C Arizona
3 Kevin Parada* C Georgia Tech
4 Jacob Berry* OF LSU
5 Gavin Cross OF Virginia Tech
6 Jace Jung 2B Texas Tech
7 Hunter Barco LHP Florida
8 Justin Campbell RHP Oklahoma State
9 Chase DeLauter OF James Madison
10 Jonathan Cannon RHP Georgia
11 Cade Doughty 2B LSU
12 Jordan Beck OF Tennessee
13 Dylan Beavers OF Cal
14 Carson Whisenhunt LHP East Carolina
15 Connor Prielipp LHP Alabama
16 Zach Neto SS Campbell
17 Cayden Wallace* 3B Arkansas
18 Reggie Crawford LHP UConn
19 Cam Collier 3B Chipola JC, Fla.
2nd Round
20 Drew Gilbert OF Tennessee
21 Thomas Harrington* RHP Campbell
22 Peyton Pallette RHP Arkansas
23 Landon Sims RHP Mississippi State
24 Logan Tanner C Mississippi State
25 Jud Fabian OF Florida
26 Gabe Hughes RHP Gonzaga
27 Bryce Hubbart LHP Florida State
28 Blade Tidwell* RHP Tennessee
29 Jacob Watters RHP West Virginia
30 Jacob Melton OF Oregon State
31 Sterlin Thompson* OF Florida
32 Cooper Hjerpe LHP Oregon State
33 Robert Moore 2B Arkansas
34 Jordan Sprinkle SS UC Santa Barbara
35 Marcus Johnson RHP Duke
36 Trystan Vrieling RHP Gonzaga
37 Pete Hansen LHP Texas
38 Luke Gold 2B Boston College
39 Eric Brown SS Coastal Carolina
40 Brock Jones OF Stanford
41 Riley Cornelio RHP TCU
42 Trey Dombroski LHP Monmouth
43 Drew Thorpe RHP Cal Poly
44 Cade Hunter C Virginia Tech
3rd Round
45 Jacob Misiorowski RHP Crowder JC, Mo.
46 Mack Anglin RHP Clemson
47 Parker Messick LHP Florida State
48 Nate Savino LHP Virginia
49 Jake Madden RHP Northwest Florida JC
50 Clark Elliot OF Michigan
51 Brandon Sproat RHP Florida
52 Ben Joyce RHP Tennessee
53 Trevor Martin* RHP Oklahoma State
54 Ryan Cermak OF lllinois State
55 Tyler Woessner RHP Central Arizona
56 Silas Ardoin C Texas
57 Brycen Mautz LHP San Diego
58 Dominic Keegan C Vanderbilt
59 William Kempner RHP Gonzaga
60 Adam Mazur RHP Iowa
61 Tyler Locklear 3B VCU
62 Josh Kasevich SS Oregon
63 Ryan Ritter SS Kentucky
64 Carter Young SS Vanderbilt
4th Round
65 Hayden Dunhurst C Ole Miss
66 Grayson Moore* RHP Vanderbilt
67 Hunter Patteson LHP UCF
68 Trey Lipscomb 3B Tennessee
69 Carson Palmquist LHP Miami
70 Jace Grady OF Dallas Baptist
71 Jared McKenzie OF Baylor
72 Ivan Melendez 1B Texas
73 Colby Thomas OF Mercer
74 Chazz Martinez LHP Oklahoma
75 TJ McCants* OF Ole Miss
76 Trey Faltine SS Texas
77 Jake Bennett LHP Oklahoma
78 Colby Holcombe LHP Northeast Mississippi JC
79 Chris Stuart LHP San Jacinto JC, Tex.
80 Matt Wood C Penn State
81 Luis Ramirez RHP Long Beach State
82 Justin Boyd OF Oregon State
83 Peyton Graham SS Oklahoma
84 Brandon Birdsell RHP Texas Tech
85 Tanner Schobel SS Virginia Tech
86 Noah Dean LHP Old Dominion
87 Connor Staine RHP UCF
88 Tres Gonzalez OF Georgia Tech
89 Jimmy Crooks C Oklahoma
90 Andrew Walters RHP Miami
91 Andrew Taylor RHP Central Michigan
5th Round
92 David Sandlin RHP Oklahoma
93 Adam Maier RHP Oregon
94 Jalen Battles SS Arkansas
95 Colby Halter* 2B Florida
96 Jack Brannigan RHP Notre Dame
97 Michael Prosecky LHP Louisville
98 Chase Estep 3B Kentucky
99 Nate Ackenhausen LHP Eastern Oklahoma State JC
100 Orion Kerkering RHP South Florida
101 Tyler Schweitzer LHP Ball State
102 Zach Maxwell RHP Georgia Tech
103 David McCabe 1B Charlotte
104 Geo Rivera RHP Walters State JC, Tenn.
105 Drake Baldwin C Missouri State
106 Troy Melton RHP San Diego State
107 Drew Compton 3B Georgia Tech
108 Connor Noland RHP Arkansas
109 Spencer Giesting LHP Charlotte
110 Caleb McNeely SS Walters State JC, Tenn.
111 Dom Johnson* OF Kansas State
112 Spencer Jones OF Vanderbilt
113 Alan Roden 1B Creighton
114 Spencer Miles RHP Missouri
115 Eric Reyzelman RHP LSU
116 Kamren James 3B Mississippi State
117 Sabin Ceballos 3B San Jacinto JC, Tex.
118 Colby Backus OF Walters State JC, Tenn.
119 Marcelo Perez RHP TCU
120 Ethan Long OF Arizona State
6th Round
121 Dalton Rushing C Louisville
122 Jared Beck LHP Saint Leo
123 Magnus Ellerts RHP Florida Southwestern JC
124 Nate Furman* 2B Charlotte
125 Jake Berry* LHP Virginia
126 Ben Metzinger 3B Louisville
127 Brody Jessee RHP Gonzaga
128 Chandler Simpson SS Georgia Tech
129 Tre Richardson 2B Baylor
130 Gabriel Rincones OF Florida Atlantic
131 Kale Davis RHP Oklahoma State
132 Braylen Wimmer 2B South Carolina
133 Chris McElvain RHP Vanderbilt
134 Eric Adler RHP Wake Forest
135 Seth Stephenson OF Tennessee
136 Ryan McCoy 1B Wabash Valley JC, Ill.
137 Anthony Hall OF Oregon
138 Cole Kirschsieper LHP Illinois
139 Nathan Church OF UC Irvine
140 Austin Krob LHP TCU
141 Chris Villaman LHP NC State
142 Josh Zamora 3B Nevada
143 Andy Garriola OF Old Dominion
144 Austin Knight SS Charlotte
145 Sean McLain 3B Arizona State
146 Cole McConnell OF Louisiana Tech
147 Nate Peterson LHP Illinois-Chicago
148 Garrett McMillan RHP Alabama
149 Max Rajcic* RHP UCLA
150 Joey Walls OF UNLV
JCooke93
Yup Tommy has to play 3B
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Villaman for sure gone?

No way Sam gets drafted.
I was looking at the wrong link. He's not on the updated one from April (rightfully so with the injury and all).
Ellesdad
Justin, do you think Soles will come back?

Personally, I thought he was one of the best hitters on the team this year. He carried the bottom half of the lineup at times.
EthanBarry
Staff
pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

in what world is a 1st year starter that hit .320 with 11 doubles and a .396 OBP with solid defense (especially compared to Dom P and Marcy) and a very low K rate not good enough? I understand OPS is a great stat but Soles was a very, very solid baseball player.
Oh I agree. I like Soles and Pilolli a lot. Pilolli coming off major injury and really improved from Charlotte, despite going up a level. Soles is a dirt dog, great to have around and showed a lot with the bat this year. But if Serrano is a dude, which seems to be the thought, and Gupton plays center, there's not room for both of them. It's not a knock on either of them, just the reality of two draft eligible guys in a numbers game. If they do both start for you next year, you're fine.
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

Oh I agree. I like Soles and Pilolli a lot. Pilolli coming off major injury and really improved from Charlotte, despite going up a level. Soles is a dirt dog, great to have around and showed a lot with the bat this year. But if Serrano is a dude, which seems to be the thought, and Gupton plays center, there's not room for both of them. It's not a knock on either of them, just the reality of two draft eligible guys in a numbers game. If they do both start for you next year, you're fine.
and that's why Eli Serrano plays first.

@James/Ethan - ya'll should try to get up with Matt Payne (former Pack9 player/starter on the 2008 Super Regional team), he's the Director of Scouting for PBR (Prep Baseball Report). He would be a great interview discussing his time at State playing with Russell Wilson and current Wright State HC Alex Sogard. He would also be able to give us the low down on our signees.

https://twitter.com/mattpayne_15?lang=en
M_A
Tommy needs to play in the field. He's a 6 foot right hander, if he hits 27 HRs every year thats a 1st rounder profile as a DH but if youre him you arent taking the risk that he takes one off the wrist and loses his power for a year
"It's ACC Championship or bust, quite honestly"
CLTWolf
M_A said:

Tommy needs to play in the field. He's a 6 foot right hander, if he hits 27 HRs every year thats a 1st rounder profile as a DH but if youre him you arent taking the risk that he takes one off the wrist and loses his power for a year
He just doesn't have a position. I spoke with a scout for the Nationals about this at the Miami game last week. I asked him if he thought Tommy was a first rounder and he brought up at what position and in which league? This guy had watched Tommy play since HS. What the scout did love was the abundance of backside power that he has. Tommy's ability to go the other way is like nothing I've seen before.
JCooke93
Not sure

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.