Baseball transfer portal...(and anything next season related)

149,959 Views | 1149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
rwwalsh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can Trice play 3rd? Would be nice if we could roll

1B: Serrano
2B:Groover
SS:Green(Pray his defense improves)
3B:Trice

And then rotate Nolan/Candelaria/Pilolli/Soles in the OF and DH.
BigLefty24
Glasswolf said:

tau06 said:

CLTWolf said:

tau06 said:

CLTWolf said:

tau06 said:

CLTWolf said:

tau06 said:

castlewood107 said:

Wish we found a way to keep him or at least gave him a mid-week start this year when Payne was really struggling.

From the article below:

After only two appearances covering two-thirds of an inning for N.C. State this year, Cooper entered the transfer portal.

"That was a question I think everyone on the team was trying to figure out," he said of the limited chances with the Wolfpack.

He's the only pitcher in the league with multiple double-figure strikeout outings.

https://randolphrecord.com/randleman-alum-cooper-heads-to-liberty-after-leaving-n-c-state/
Not sure if it's accurate but not being able to find innings for a lefty who is supposedly throwing 95 seems like an odd decision. Hope we can find a few because it sounds like we lost a good option.
what if that "95" isn't being thrown for strikes?

Given that he pitched what looks like less than 1 inning with us and has performed well in summer ball (probably a lesser level league to be fair) how could anyone know? We need a few lefties, no?
The coaching staff knows. They watched him throw everyday. If he's not throwing strikes in front of them why would they trot him out during games?

Also, he's not sitting at 95. He's more low 90s (that's still bringing it, from the left side). Someone from PBR was at the Appalachian League All Star game with a gun on the pitchers. And I agree, the "Appy" League is definitely a lesser level, lower than the CPL and Valley leagues which are actually some of the better behind the Cape.
Liberty is a really nice program and a nice landing spot for Trey but the ASUN ain't the ACC.

Always need pitching from the left side. We added two from the portal, one I'm excited about and the other I'm in a wait and see approach but he's big and has good stuff just has to learn how to use it.

Seems the strike throwing isn't an issue now given his summer league #s no? Or do you just assume if he had gone out in a NCSU uniform that he would lose all command? I certainly don't have any inside info compared to some but it's not like the college coaches across the country unilaterally get these decisions wrong. Sometimes they have bud against a kid or overlook a strength and a kid being able to actually play because they are so focused on something else that they are unhappy they don't see. Happens yearly in every sport. I got no clue if the kid could have actually helped and am just posing the question. To dismiss that as "oh the coaches know better than you" is not a good way to always evaluate these decisions. Carry on

1. I'm not talking about this summer. Hopefully he's figured it out and is successful at Liberty. You can go look at the his 2 outings this season and see issues with control.
2. He's also at the top of the summer league standings in walks as well so there's still control issues and again, the Appy League isn't a super strong league. He's still walking people but bc of the talent level he's able to overcome that and get dudes out. Good for him. That's the name of the game.
3. The coaches do know better. They literally watch these kids every day. Chart every session and breakdown the data from every bullpen session. Of course kids leave and get better. Of course coaches can get it wrong but typically and more often than not the good ones don't get it wrong.
4. He's going to Liberty not LSU. Maybe that's the appropriate level for him.

All fair points but I hope you can understand where I am coming from with your point #3. Just because you have more information doesn't always mean that you make the correct decision in the grand scheme of things. We are the school who had a coaching staff decide to stick with Mac Rowan over the Martin twins for crying out loud. That is my main point I'm trying to make. Which imo isn't some crazy thought and is pretty unimpeachable logically if you step back and look at it
That staff actually took DSJ, Torin Dorn and Terry Henderson over the Martin twins. You cannot go to a coach and ask them to promise you will be the starter the following season

Except that didn't happen. Another wife's tale that keeps getting told over and over.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

EthanBarry
Staff
pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

Pretty surprised that Pilolli and Soles are back

same. our OF depth is nuts. IMO that pretty much moves trice to 2nd and Serrano to DH if he hits well enough.

also don't think Soles is a lock to start.
I mean, one of those guys has to sit, between the two Davidson kids, Pilolli and Soles

Yea exactly. Then add on the fact that the 2 freshmen are 2 of this highest rated kids we've gotten and that's a log jam
No doubt
Borowolf10
Having too many options is a good problem.
Borowolf10
Does anyone have a running list of the transfers we've brought in?
pack2010
Borowolf10 said:

Does anyone have a running list of the transfers we've brought in?

Rio Britton LHP Oregon
PJ Labriola LHP Clemson
Creed Watkins RHP Oklahoma
Trevor Candeleria OF Davidson
Parker Nolan OF Davidson
Kalae Harrison SS Texas A&M
Carter Trice Utility Old Dominion
rbaker
JC 1 more pitcher? Right or Lefty?
JCooke93
No pressure on them year 1
JCooke93
Amen to that
JCooke93
Don't know yet
Lakewolf
Updated

JCooke93
Zayas to the Red Sox and Falsken1 out for the season again
ncsufan13
Lakewolf said:

Updated

Is Pilolli not on here or am I just not seeing him?
JCooke93
He is not but he should be
braz213
What is wrong with Falksen?
JCooke93
Had other surgery again
J21J12
Soles hit .330 in conference play, had more walks than strikeouts, and improved defensively as the season went on...to me he's got to be as much of a lock as Gino and Trice without question

Also wouldn't shock me at all if Pilolli takes a huge step forward being another year removed from the injury, only played about 1/3 of the year without the huge brace

JCooke93
I am excited
Ellesdad
Exactly. Soles was big-time last year. Was one of our most consistent bats. I see no reason he will lose a spot.
Borowolf10
J21J12 said:

Soles hit .330 in conference play, had more walks than strikeouts, and improved defensively as the season went on...to me he's got to be as much of a lock as Gino and Trice without question

Also wouldn't shock me at all if Pilolli takes a huge step forward being another year removed from the injury, only played about 1/3 of the year without the huge brace

Soles gets on base and has great at bats. The home run Dom hit vs Pitt in Charlotte was maybe the best home run of the year including Tommy.
JCooke93
I am excited
CLTWolf
Love the Creed Watkins addition. Kid has a huge arm, as many has already said.

Oklahoma was a deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pitching staff this year so I get him not getting any burn.

His numbers in the MLB draft league were decent in only 6 outings. Struck out 8 in 7 innings while only walking 2. Managed to get 3 wins too.

Need more power out of Noah, IMO.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
I think he will be fine
EthanBarry
Staff
J21J12 said:

I agree, I think it comes down to defense though. That may get Nolan on the field. Candelaria is a lock imo, he's been really good his whole career, although the step up in comp is a question. Agree with CLT, Soles needs to show some pop
JCooke93
I am very excited about it all
Lakewolf
Yeah, I heard a rumor Dom was going UFA, I added him back.

Ellesdad
Soles has been a starter for one season. I'm sure he will improve in some areas. I don't think it's fair to talk about giving up his spot for someone that is coming out of high school or a transfer from a lower level. I think he had the third best batting average on the team last year.
JCooke93
I agree
JCooke93
D1Baseball just put out their 2023 transfer portal list no big names yet
Jtilley
Both of the Davidson kids bat RH. Without seeing any splits I would think you would probably end up seeing a platoon since both Soles and Pilolli bat lefty.

JCooke93
I am excited
Pbacker
Any new info or is roster set?
JCooke93
Currently at 39 or 38 on the Roster
JCooke93
Cooper King to Lander
JCooke93
Not sure if we are done or not

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.