Baseball transfer portal...(and anything next season related)

150,264 Views | 1149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jtilley said:

Getting a leg up on the portal is about the only advantage of not making the tournament.

Serious question, Charlotte have anyone in the portal? We know there is a connection there.
There are a couple listed on D1baseball's site but none that we'd be interested in. Kendall hasn't updated the site since the 25th of May so there could be more.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
kmb717
Any chance we go after Kennedy Jones from UNCG? Just won the SOCON Tournament MVP. Only a freshman. Obviously not in the portal at the moment but have to think he'll get some interest from bigger programs.

https://uncgspartans.com/sports/baseball/roster/kennedy-jones/4412
CLTWolf
A few more names...

Noah Martinez 1B Central Connecticut State U - 6'5 245, He's a lefty with a smooth swing, has some power as he hit 15 bombs this season. Led the NEC in HRs and RBI
https://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/bsb/2021-22/bios/martinez_noah_js6v?view=career&pos=h

Jacob Compton 1B/OF/DH Memphis - 6'1 220, Another lefty with power. First team AAC, led the league in RBI and was 11th in HRs with 11.
https://gotigersgo.com/sports/baseball/roster/jacob-compton/10444

Also looks like Brandyn Gracia, LHP Quinnipiac committed to Texas AM so he's out.

JCooke93
Nice
JCooke93
Other Tulane Player to Keep a Eye on is Pitcher Zach Devito
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

A few more names...

Noah Martinez 1B Central Connecticut State U - 6'5 245, He's a lefty with a smooth swing, has some power as he hit 15 bombs this season. Led the NEC in HRs and RBI
https://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/bsb/2021-22/bios/martinez_noah_js6v?view=career&pos=h

Jacob Compton 1B/OF/DH Memphis - 6'1 220, Another lefty with power. First team AAC, led the league in RBI and was 11th in HRs with 11.

Also looks like Brandyn Gracia, LHP Quinnipiac committed to Texas AM so he's out.

CTL thanks for the info about all these guys. I am concerned about SS. You seem to be more aware of the current young men's abilities than most of us. I know you are ahead of me as I have been away from the travel circuit for a while now. I feel we need a stud defensive SS, speedy CF and RFwith an arm. Maybe Gupton and Trice are the outfielders. Can one of the 2 incoming guys play SS for us. I am talking range, better than average arm, steady glove and good quickness. We were all offense this year no matter who stood at SS. If they can't handle it in your estimation, who should we be after in the portal? A real SS. I would sacrifice a little offense at that position for a solid fielder and a leader on defense.
FLWolf
the baseball portal is going to be nuts

Remember, many of these guys do not getting full scholarships and will move
wilmwolf
Need to pick up a couple of catchers somewhere.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
SportManagementEngineer
wilmwolf80 said:

Is Cozart coming back?
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
JCooke93
Yes
JCooke93
Have 2 fr coming in
tau06
SportManagementEngineer said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Is Cozart coming back?

Should be unless he transfers.

Between transfer portal and the freshmen coming in we will have a SS this upcoming season, that is something I'm not concerned with. Best two freshmen are a CF and corner OF so will be interesting to see how that all plays out. Next season will be a different level of athleticism than this past season
rbaker
JC how many portal kids and what postions do you thing we take?
JCooke93
Pitcher's Outfielders and 1 or 2 more infielders at least that's what I am hoping we do
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

A few more names...

CTL thanks for the info about all these guys. I am concerned about SS. You seem to be more aware of the current young men's abilities than most of us. I know you are ahead of me as I have been away from the travel circuit for a while now. I feel we need a stud defensive SS, speedy CF and RFwith an arm. Maybe Gupton and Trice are the outfielders. Can one of the 2 incoming guys play SS for us. I am talking range, better than average arm, steady glove and good quickness. We were all offense this year no matter who stood at SS. If they can't handle it in your estimation, who should we be after in the portal? A real SS. I would sacrifice a little offense at that position for a solid fielder and a leader on defense.
Bryant Zayas is a stud, defensively. The main question centers around his bat but he's played high level competition in south Florida (IMG, American Heritage, etc) at Miami Christian (State Champs this year) so the learning curve won't be as steep, IMO. He's fast too, has a timed 60 in 6.21. He could be a guy that starts as a FR at 2nd but I could see him playing short as well from day 1. I don't think he gets drafted but his speed and defensive skills are elite.

Josh Hood could come back, not sure he gets drafted, but if he does he should sign. He needs to learn to use the opposite side of the field as he tries to pull everything. Pitchers will throw him away until he shows he can go backside. I think he's fine at SS but Zayas would be better.

Payton Green could obviously get better stick and around the INF but I honestly think he'd be very good in the OF with his speed. Basically a less powerful Vance Honeycutt type.

Will Marcy played 3B/SS at Pro 5 Academy in HS. He's another that could play several different positions in the INF but he's a big boy and still filling out (IMO), 6'3 200ish. Not sure how agile he is. Reps in the OF might be best for him as well.

Of course there's always the portal and I know we've reached out to a 2B/SS from Baylor (Jack Pineda) but I'm sure he'll have plenty of schools after him as well. He's got a little pop in his bat too.

I think Gino Groover moves over to 2B (or DH) which makes sense due to us reaching out to the kids above. I still think Eli Serrano (assuming he's not drafted/signs) could play first as well. He's a Nick Kurtz clone. Serrano plays RF for Pro 5 currently as they have another stud prospect playing first in Ryan Clifford (Vandy) although they've switched on and off.
Michael Gupton is your speedy CF and man does he have speed to burn. He ran a 60 under 6 seconds. There are questions about his bat as he didn't hit very well this year but his FR and JR years he hit ok (just under .450 as a FR).

Carter Trice will be an interesting follow. He played 3B as a FR until the starter at 2B got injured for the season and he moved over there. All he did was have an All American season and make Team USA. All 4 INFs came back this season so he was moved to RF. He did have a bit of a regression but did steal 18 bases and hit a couple more HRs.

Gupton, Zayas and Trice would add much more speed to the lineup, potentially.
JCooke93
Some big names in the portal
Bas2020
JCooke93 said:

Some big names in the portal

Is there a kid from Northwestern we are looking at?
JCooke93
Yes there is
ncst8wlfpck5
Is there a website for the baseball transfer portal?
JCooke93
D1Baseball.com
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

A few more names...

Bryant Zayas is a stud, defensively. The main question centers around his bat but he's played high level competition in south Florida (IMG, American Heritage, etc) at Miami Christian (State Champs this year) so the learning curve won't be as steep, IMO. He's fast too, has a timed 60 in 6.21. He could be a guy that starts as a FR at 2nd but I could see him playing short as well from day 1. I don't think he gets drafted but his speed and defensive skills are elite.

Josh Hood could come back, not sure he gets drafted, but if he does he should sign. He needs to learn to use the opposite side of the field as he tries to pull everything. Pitchers will throw him away until he shows he can go backside. I think he's fine at SS but Zayas would be better.

Payton Green could obviously get better stick and around the INF but I honestly think he'd be very good in the OF with his speed. Basically a less powerful Vance Honeycutt type.

Will Marcy played 3B/SS at Pro 5 Academy in HS. He's another that could play several different positions in the INF but he's a big boy and still filling out (IMO), 6'3 200ish. Not sure how agile he is. Reps in the OF might be best for him as well.

Of course there's always the portal and I know we've reached out to a 2B/SS from Baylor (Jack Pineda) but I'm sure he'll have plenty of schools after him as well. He's got a little pop in his bat too.

I think Gino Groover moves over to 2B (or DH) which makes sense due to us reaching out to the kids above. I still think Eli Serrano (assuming he's not drafted/signs) could play first as well. He's a Nick Kurtz clone. Serrano plays RF for Pro 5 currently as they have another stud prospect playing first in Ryan Clifford (Vandy) although they've switched on and off.
Michael Gupton is your speedy CF and man does he have speed to burn. He ran a 60 under 6 seconds. There are questions about his bat as he didn't hit very well this year but his FR and JR years he hit ok (just under .450 as a FR).

Carter Trice will be an interesting follow. He played 3B as a FR until the starter at 2B got injured for the season and he moved over there. All he did was have an All American season and make Team USA. All 4 INFs came back this season so he was moved to RF. He did have a bit of a regression but did steal 18 bases and hit a couple more HRs.

Gupton, Zayas and Trice would add much more speed to the lineup, potentially.

Thanks. I appreciate the insight. Zayas could at least hit 9th. Since Hood was drafted last year, I expect him to be drafted again. He displayed he can hit at a high level. I do thing he is a 3B. I agree about Groover, too. May have been the best fielder and the most range this season. I like Green in right and hopefully Serrano or Marcy at first. That's leaves Soles in left, if he stays. He shows promise as a pro left fielder to me.

Thanks again for the info. I like to see the guys in person. Film for most everyone is good but reaction time and thinking is something I think I need to see in person to judge properly.
JCooke93
Hm
CLTWolf
Don't know where else to put this but it's amazing nonetheless (even if the kid is committed to unc) but Brooks Brannon from Randleman tied and broke his dads state HR record. That's insane.

Wolfpack
Randleman!
JCooke93
Any updates
JCooke93
Guess not
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Guess not

Not much going on right now it seems. With a new batch of teams having their seasons ending over the weekend we'll probably see more kids hit the portal this week.
JCooke93
UNCW Closer who is in the portal is currently on the Mariners in the Cap Cod League Same Team as Groover and Green
PKAwolfpacker
They play Tommy Whites team this Sunday I believe. I might just have to go to that one
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

UNCW Closer who is in the portal is currently on the Mariners in the Cap Cod League Same Team as Groover and Green

We offered him today
JCooke93
Wait what
FlockaWolf
This the Hunter Hodges kid mentioned on the last page?
JCooke93
Yes
pack2010
yes Hodges has been offered. he is going to consider a couple options before making a decision
JCooke93
Nice

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.