Wolfpack baseball 2022 (36-21, 14-15)

146,669 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
PGAWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CLTWolf said:

PGAWolf said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away
Whats the rotation looking like?

a lot of speculation Logan Adams will get the Sunday nod to start with Highfill and Willadsen. But Villaman or Payne wouldn't be a surprise either
Last couple years Johnston has started in the 'pen and ramp up during non conference play. I wonder if they do that with Highfill and Willadsen and start Adams, Villaman and Payne or something like that just to see what happens. Don't need to have a closer set in stone week one
I'm beginning to think they'll do what you suggested the other week and start Sam, Matt and Chris V on the weekend and then move Chris V to the pen like they did with Justice if no one else steps up.

If Justice had done better as a starter he would have stayed a starter the whole year. If Villaman proves he can be an effective starer then he will start. You're always going to prioritize finding a starter over a closer. Which is why guys like Justice and Villaman get every chance to prove they can start before moving them to the pen.

I think Villaman has the make up to be a starter. I worry about him developing a second pitch. To be a starter at the ACC level you have to have something other than a FB. As a closer you aren't going 2-3 times through the line up, lessening the value of a second or third pitch. Also I thought Villaman's stuff played up when he went to the pen last year.
Bolded point 1: Please don't take this the wrong way, but no ***** haha
Bolded point 2: That's why people like me think he'll eventually be the closer. Dude was nasty out of the pen starting with the Duke game and continuing against Bama, La Tech and Arkansas.

I agree. If I had to bet on it. I would say they try to make Villaman a starter before moving him back to the pen roughly about 3-4 weeks into ACC play.

Best case scenario he sticks as a starter. And now you have your Friday night guy. Which could very well happen.

Villaman gives you the potential to have a Friday night guy with just as good of "stuff" as anyone in the league.
Which is something State has lacked over the years. Rodon and Swinney are the only ones I can think of that I really felt had true Ace, Friday night in the ACC stuff.
wilmwolf
For whatever reason I just have a hard time seeing us start three righties on the weekend. Historically it feels like we've done everything in our power to have at least one lefty in the rotation.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pack2010
wilmwolf80 said:

For whatever reason I just have a hard time seeing us start three righties on the weekend. Historically it feels like we've done everything in our power to have at least one lefty in the rotation.

Tbh I have thought that too. I really think David Harrison is a good Sunday option. He'll throw strikes, keep you in it, give you 4-5 innings usually. But who knows

Would be cool if we could get practice/scrimmage updates. Seems like a lot of bigger programs provide some updates but
JCooke93
A lot of surprises
rbaker
JC give wpn some nuggets!!
castlewood107
JCooke, my man we need some intel from the scrimmage on Monday.....
JCooke93
G.Groover6
EthanBarry
Staff
jadawson
EthanBarry said:

for some reason im unable to blow that image up. for those of us with bad eyes, is that odds to win the CWS or go to the CWS?
Colonel Armstrong
Win CWS
jadawson
King Leary said:

Win CWS
thanks.

t-10th best odds ain't bad
JCooke93
Let's Ride
Glasswolf
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

JCooke93
13 days away
JCooke93
A lot of balks will happen in 2022 with the new pick rule
Gost8
I've heard nothing on Clemson transfer Sam Hall. Is he still on the roster ?
rwwalsh
Gost8 said:

I've heard nothing on Clemson transfer Sam Hall. Is he still on the roster ?
Believe he retired from baseball last summer.
JCooke93
He retired in the fall was on campus for 2 weeks
78wilsonpack
Was hoping the IPS staff would get the 2022 schedule loaded up on the site soon. The 2021 schedule is still there.
pack2010
Media day today. Carson Kelly has gotten props from everyone. Logan adams has been mentioned a couple times. And Justin Lawson and win Scott have gotten mentioned too
JCooke93
Yup
tau06
Excited to see the progressions that Willadson has made after going out and spending time at the pitch lab thing out west. Him taking a jump would be massive for this team. And sounds like he has put in the time to make that happen.
SportManagementEngineer
tau06 said:

Excited to see the progressions that Willadson has made after going out and spending time at the pitch lab thing out west. Him taking a jump would be massive for this team. And sounds like he has put in the time to make that happen.
Agreed. I don't think many teams have a pitching trio as good as Highfill, Villaman, and Willadson. If the three of them even marginally improve on last year, we're going to be tough to beat.

I say this as a caveat as it is not being talked about. We were very good defensively last year, will be keep that up with so many new guys in the field?
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
CLTWolf
SportManagementEngineer said:

tau06 said:

Agreed. I don't think many teams have a pitching trio as good as Highfill, Villaman, and Willadson. If the three of them even marginally improve on last year, we're going to be tough to beat.

I say this as a caveat as it is not being talked about. We were very good defensively last year, will be keep that up with so many new guys in the field?
Defense is what has me concerned a bit as well. Austin Murr was one of the best ever we'll see playing first at State and Jose Torres was just so smooth at short. Never mind that Jonny and Tyler were so good in the outfield. Tyler could cover some SERIOUS ground out there in CF.

I'm not asking them to repeat being a top 5 defensive team in the country but just don't kick the ball around the infield and have a passed balls from the freshman C. ha

Make the routine play and the rest will take care of itself.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
castlewood107
Totally agree. I think we should even look at putting Willy out there on Friday night. He seems to have a bit of an 'it' factor.

We know Highfill is going to take it deep almost every time. That could really save the pen each Saturday knowing Sunday is going to be a big pen game.
wilmwolf
CF and 1B are my worries. Those two dudes made like 2 errors between them I think for their careers. SS is important too obviously, but those two guys in particular were all timers defensively.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JCooke93
I would trust who is in CF
CLTWolf
castlewood107 said:

Totally agree. I think we should even look at putting Willy out there on Friday night. He seems to have a bit of an 'it' factor.

We know Highfill is going to take it deep almost every time. That could really save the pen each Saturday knowing Sunday is going to be a big pen game.
As a starter last year, Willadsen averaged 5.4 innings/start. Sam went 5.8 innings/start so either way we're good, IMO. I do like Sam on Friday's and seems like he wants the ball on Friday nights too.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
Yup
castlewood107
good post and good stats
pack2010
seems like there is 1 lineup spot up for grabs (corner OF?) and the weekend starter

options for OF spot- Eisert/Truitt/Soles/Nixon/Lavoie
3rd weekend guy- Payne/Logan Adams/Harrison/?

any guesses? I think Soles will get the first shot along with David Harrison. I think Truitt and even Eisert offer a high upside too.
JCooke93
Your close
Glasswolf
pack2010 said:

seems like there is 1 lineup spot up for grabs (corner OF?) and the weekend starter

options for OF spot- Eisert/Truitt/Soles/Nixon/Lavoie
3rd weekend guy- Payne/Logan Adams/Harrison/?

any guesses? I think Soles will get the first shot along with David Harrison. I think Truitt and even Eisert offer a high upside too.
Harrison will start going between long relief and mid week starter. He will end up as long relief. It's Soles time after covid and injury. Will he grab the spot? My lunch with EA was cancelled this week. I'll try to add something once I talk with him or Hart
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

JCooke93
Soles is going to start
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

Soles is going to start

You've also said Giles is going to start at 1st? Do you still think that?

Not trying to be argumentative at all, just curious

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.