Wolfpack baseball 2022 (36-21, 14-15)

146,671 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
castlewood107
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hate looking ahead because I don't want this season to end.

Here is a guess:

OF: Soles/Truitt (ECU xfer, big recruit)/Trendon Craig (JUCO elite bat)
3B: Giles
SS: Hood (Ivy League frosh of year)
2B: Jarrett (i think he comes back after the way this ended) or Payton Green
1B: Brady Lavoie (JUCO elite bat) or Murr comes back or we get lucky and Tommy White falls in draft?
C: Jacob Cozart (highly touted frosh)
DH: Giles if not 3B, Eisert, White if he gets here, Lavoie if Murr comes back

Friday: Reid (i think he comes back after the way this ended)
Saturday: Sam
Sunday: Matt W
Mid-week: Pace or Harrison (really hope he is reinstated)
Closer: Villaman
Solid depth from the frosh arms who pitched this year. Nelson hopefully back.

Would like to see us grab a LH pen arm from the transfer portal. We have a lot to sell and people should want to play for us.
Wolfpack91
wilmwolf80 said:

All nine of our starting lineup are draft eligible, as is justice. I operate under the assumption that they are all gone until they say otherwise. What we bring in will depend on the draft also, since we have some draftable prospects signed. I now we're bringing in a good SS on transfer, and I'm sure we'll get our share of JUCO guys because we always find good players that way. Too much unknown to really say at this point.
Wow, did not realize everyone was draft eligible. Not everyone will get drafted or like their draft spot so more than likely a couple of them come back.

Tresh, Butler, Murr, Justice, McDonough, Torres, Johnston IMO are obvious MLB draft picks who will go off board in early rounds with decent bonus potential. Brown & Jarrett are possible but more likely later rounds. I might be missing someone who could be late draft round pick?
CLTWolf
Wolfpack91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

All nine of our starting lineup are draft eligible, as is justice. I operate under the assumption that they are all gone until they say otherwise. What we bring in will depend on the draft also, since we have some draftable prospects signed. I now we're bringing in a good SS on transfer, and I'm sure we'll get our share of JUCO guys because we always find good players that way. Too much unknown to really say at this point.
Wow, did not realize everyone was draft eligible. Not everyone will get drafted or like their draft spot so more than likely a couple of them come back.

Tresh, Butler, Murr, Justice, McDonough, Torres, Johnston IMO are obvious MLB draft picks who will go off board in early rounds with decent bonus potential. Brown & Jarrett are possible but more likely later rounds. I might be missing someone who could be late draft round pick?

Tresh, Torres, McDonough are the guys that will be gone regardless and most likely picked in the top 5-10 rounds. Butler, Brown, Murr, Justice will definitely get drafted, it's just a matter of what kind of bonus demands they might have. This is their last "leverage" year so it's get the money now or it's gone. Reid could get drafted but IMO, it won't be in the top half of the draft but then again, with the way draft is changing along with the minors, who knows. JT Jarrett will not get drafted.

I don't pretend to know what Reid wants to do but coming back and having a big year would probably work better for him (IMO) but that would be year 5 even though he only threw 12.1 innings in 2020. So it's not like he's got 4 years of heavy usage. I would love for him to come back but no idea what he wants to do, which is most important.
I have the same feelings towards Aaron Murr as well. Didn't log a full season in 2020 to showcase his talent (tailed off a bit this year) so a 5th year at State could net him an Evan Edwards type draft slot/pay day. Evan got himself a low 6 figures bonus b/c of that big SR year he had as senior sign by the Marlins.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
pack2010
For next year- Do we want Villaman in the closer role like Justice? Aka 4-7 innings a weekend. Or a weekend starter? Could be a premier arm, but again, the Justice role was great.
pack2010
also, i hope Avent is calling a couple of those dudes at NC Central, whose program is unfortunately is done for as of now. They have 2 big time pitchers, 1 will likely go in the top 10 rounds, but the other is a RS Soph, who could be drafted, but put up great numbers. Can't hurt to call and see if they want to spend a year in Raleigh. The transfer portal is crazy
smitt86
Hey, put me in the camp to have Highfill playing 1B and batting for us next year, need all the big bats in the lineup.
EthanBarry
Staff
Villaman has to be given every chance to start, kind of like Justice. He's immensely talented. If it doesn't work out he can close but I think it will work out and he will be a 1st-2nd round guy next year.
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

Villaman has to be given every chance to start, kind of like Justice. He's immensely talented. If it doesn't work out he can close but I think it will work out and he will be a 1st-2nd round guy next year.

I would love Villaman in that closer role but if he can go 5-7 innings routinely as a starter while popping 93-95 consistentlyyeah, I'm in.

pack2010
EthanBarry said:

If Villaman is a top 2 round pick, NCSU is hosting a regional (obviously depending on health). He hasn't shown the consistency or secondary pitches to be that highly thought of yet. That said, he is definitely very talented and could be an all ACC guy for sure
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

also, i hope Avent is calling a couple of those dudes at NC Central, whose program is unfortunately is done for as of now. They have 2 big time pitchers, 1 will likely go in the top 10 rounds, but the other is a RS Soph, who could be drafted, but put up great numbers. Can't hurt to call and see if they want to spend a year in Raleigh. The transfer portal is crazy

I think the Miller kid is trying to go the draft route, not sure he's committed anywhere yet, that I can find.

Vernon is playing at the Cape and definitely is all about being drafted from reading various write ups.

Their closer (11 saves) is going New Orleans.

I'm anxious to see if we do the portal thing for more than Hood (and Truitt).
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

If Villaman is a top 2 round pick, NCSU is hosting a regional (obviously depending on health). He hasn't shown the consistency or secondary pitches to be that highly thought of yet. That said, he is definitely very talented and could be an all ACC guy for sure

The Chris Villaman we saw against Duke, in the Regionals and Supers can be that guy, for sure.
pack2010
Looking at some of the JUCO arms coming in, seems like they are high risk high reward.

Logan Adams is probably the best prospect, and he threw 47.1 innings, 3.80 ERA and 57/17 K/BB ratio at a JUCO in florida. 10.84 K/9. Read he can be in the mid 90s at points with a plus slider (likely to sit in the low 90s)

Justin Lawson is at a JUCO in Louisiana and in his 2 years there he has thrown 64.1 innings, has 94 Ks (BIG number) 49 walks, but a 6.58 ERA. 13.43 K/9. He was 90-93 with apparently a good slider and change. Was a top 20 JUCO prospect going into the year (statistically, he struggled this year).

Jacob Widener is a 6'6 lefty that has been up to 95 mph with a good slider. He was a top 500 recruit that was supposed to go to San Diego State. 32 career JUCO innings had a 4.73 ERA with a 38/25 K/BB ratio. He is currently pitching in the coastal plains league and has gond 19.2 innings struck out 25 but walked 21 for a 4.58 ERA.

Seems like all 3 of those guys have swing and miss stuff, however they can walk a lot of guys too (especially Lawson and Widener). Heres to hoping they can contribute next year

pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

The Chris Villaman we saw against Duke, in the Regionals and Supers can be that guy, for sure.
Of course. However he also looked bad in most of his other ACC appearances. The upside is 1000% there, just hopeful he can build on the end of the year
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

I think the Miller kid is trying to go the draft route, not sure he's committed anywhere yet, that I can find.

Vernon is playing at the Cape and definitely is all about being drafted from reading various write ups.

Their closer (11 saves) is going New Orleans.

I'm anxious to see if we do the portal thing for more than Hood (and Truitt).

Yup both Miller and Vernon are prospects for sure, especially Vernon. Don't see him on a campus next year. Miller is a RS soph so he would still have a year of leverage if he wanted one more year of college. Just hope we can hit the portal hard, if coaches think its necessary, because we have a lot of kids attention now.
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

Of course. However he also looked bad in most of his other ACC appearances. The upside is 1000% there, just hopeful he can build on the end of the year

That's the point. Ethan and I think that we're now seeing the Villaman that's turned the corner into the guy that as a JR in HS no one thought would make it to college. His velo has gone up since the beginning of the year. I'm hoping it stays.

But yeah, agreed, hope it sticks for sure.
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

Looking at some of the JUCO arms coming in, seems like they are high risk high reward.

Logan Adams is probably the best prospect, and he threw 47.1 innings, 3.80 ERA and 57/17 K/BB ratio at a JUCO in florida. 10.84 K/9. Read he can be in the mid 90s at points with a plus slider (likely to sit in the low 90s)

Justin Lawson is at a JUCO in Louisiana and in his 2 years there he has thrown 64.1 innings, has 94 Ks (BIG number) 49 walks, but a 6.58 ERA. 13.43 K/9. He was 90-93 with apparently a good slider and change. Was a top 20 JUCO prospect going into the year (statistically, he struggled this year).

Jacob Widener is a 6'6 lefty that has been up to 95 mph with a good slider. He was a top 500 recruit that was supposed to go to San Diego State. 32 career JUCO innings had a 4.73 ERA with a 38/25 K/BB ratio. He is currently pitching in the coastal plains league and has gond 19.2 innings struck out 25 but walked 21 for a 4.58 ERA.

Seems like all 3 of those guys have swing and miss stuff, however they can walk a lot of guys too (especially Lawson and Widener). Heres to hoping they can contribute next year

Good write up.
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

That's the point. Ethan and I think that we're now seeing the Villaman that's turned the corner into the guy that as a JR in HS no one thought would make it to college. His velo has gone up since the beginning of the year. I'm hoping it stays.

Truth. Velo was huge, not sure it was the bullpen change, he got health(ier) or whatever, but that velo popped up 3-5 MPH and he couldn't be hit. Would love to see him get a weekend role because he can be an ace, no doubt.
EthanBarry
Staff
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

Truth. Velo was huge, not sure it was the bullpen change, he got health(ier) or whatever, but that velo popped up 3-5 MPH and he couldn't be hit. Would love to see him get a weekend role because he can be an ace, no doubt.
Hoping Villaman is on the same career path as Swiney. He also struggled a lot his first year and a half
Pakbackr
Based on what I've seen, Highfill is a competitor and maybe they need to find a way to keep him in the lineup. Of course you don't want to risk having a start pitcher get hurt, but just saying - some kids are special!
CLTWolf
Pakbackr said:

Based on what I've seen, Highfill is a competitor and maybe they need to find a way to keep him in the lineup. Of course you don't want to risk having a start pitcher get hurt, but just saying - some kids are special!
Nah, he's good being a stud pitcher. He's going to be a high draft pick in the 2022 draft so let's not see him hit again.
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

Pakbackr said:

Nah, he's good being a stud pitcher. He's going to be a high draft pick in the 2022 draft so let's not see him hit again.
I could envision him maybe, possibly getting a pinch hit opportunity at some point, but even that probably isn't going to happen because of the risks. Let's let him end his college career batting .750.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
braz213
I imagine Chrysler, the pitching coach, will become a hot commodity. Hope we can keep him for a long time. That last guy, Fox I think, was well known in the business but I was never impressed with the results. What Chrysler has done is extremely impressive.
rwwalsh
braz213 said:

I imagine Chrysler, the pitching coach, will become a hot commodity. Hope we can keep him for a long time. That last guy, Fox I think, was well known in the business but I was never impressed with the results. What Chrysler has done is extremely impressive.
Funny enough Foxhall is the pitching coach for Miss St. Pretty good track record for EA in identifying assistant coaches.
pack2010
Backup freshman catcher Bryce Brehmer leaves and heads to juco
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

Backup freshman catcher Bryce Brehmer leaves and heads to juco
Not a surprise. Best of luck to Bryce!
CLTWolf
According to D1 baseball's transfer tracker, Danny Carnazzo is leaving as well. Again, probably not a huge surprise either.
EthanBarry
Staff
Probably a good sign for Cozart and somebody else probably in as well. Hopefully an older guy
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

Probably a good sign for Cozart and somebody else probably in as well. Hopefully an older guy
Hope it's a JUCO stud to compete with Cozart and then go from there. Wishful thinking of course.
pack2010
EthanBarry said:

Crazy, as good as Luca was, not hard to think we might have a catcher next year with a higher average and OBP and that's how our offense will have to be. Likely won't have as much power.

That said, the strides Luca made defensively was awesome. Props to him
pack2010
MC from the wolfpacker said he was told "there might have been a couple more recent JC additions"

time for us to do some research
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

MC from the wolfpacker said he was told "there might have been a couple more recent JC additions"

Well sht. Looks like I have some due diligence to do.

Did he give any other info about them?
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Well sht. Looks like I have some due diligence to do.

Did he give any other info about them?
He did not. He did say he doesn't expect Tommy White to make it to campus, per what he was told a while back. But Green is more possible.

Murr is unlikely to return (there have been rumors about him thinking about it), Reid would surprise him less if he came back, but also noted he was honored on senior day which may be telling
braz213
Ha I didn't know that.
jwpack
The only way Reid comes back is if he is not drafted. And I think he will definitely be drafted.
Bcwhitl2
Is there any chance Josh Hood gets drafted or do we feel pretty good about him being on campus next year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.