Wolfpack baseball 2022 (36-21, 14-15)

146,626 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
Packamylase
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ACC is Murders row.
DJncsu13
DJncsu13 said:

I've sent this to James to see if he could post the PDF version here on IPS, but here's the PNG version of the ACC Hat Schedule I made for the 2022 conference weekend series games.

Selfishly bumping this to the next page...
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
JCooke93
I have JT.JARRETT15 leading off
castlewood107
J Cooke

How are we looking health-wise going into the season?

I saw Duke lost a big arm for the season.
JCooke93
C.Falsken1 is coming back from injury and A.Pace25 is done playing ball other then that that's all I know
EthanBarry
Staff
Hood 7
Jarrett 4
Brown 9
White 5
Groover 3
Lavoie DH
Soles 8
Green 6
Cozart 2
JCooke93
Close and I like it but maybe no
PGAWolf
How I think Avent is going to do it

Jarrett 4
Groover 3
Hood 5
Brown 9
White DH
Cozart 2
Green 6
Soles 7
Pilloli 8

But if it were up to me Jarrett would bat 6th and Hood would lead off.
pack2010
What about Sunday starter? I'm convinced Villaman is going to take the closer role. I can see it going to Payne, David Harrison or Logan adams. But who knows with avent
JCooke93
I like it a lot
CLTWolf
1. Do we know if Dom Pilolli is healthy enough to play at the start of the season? Could we see him start out as DH (if he's even healthy enough for that)?

2. I'm interested in who's gonna be the Sunday starter as well. Payne or Harrison seem like good options but there are some young arms that could handle it as well, I hope. Payne or Harrison could be midweek guys too. Something to definitely watch, right? I really do think Villaman could be nasty in that closer role.

3. I feel like we have a lot of potentially good young arms, who will step up? Carson Kelly, Trey Cooper, Jacob Dienes? Others?

4. We haven't even talked about Godman, Lavoie, Lawson much. JUCOs that could/should be ready to contribute.

5. Bo Robinson is a damn good add to the coaching staff. He can coach.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
3 Win Scott 49
EthanBarry
Staff
Not sure on Pilolli's health but I'm worried about how his K rate translates to the ACC. 30% in the CUSA is a concern. I don't think he's locked in to a spot because of it. We know State will prioritize defense in center too so that factors in. I'm not sure who the best guy out there is but with his athletic profile you'd think it's a fit.

As for Villaman, you have to give him a chance to start. His ceiling is too high to not at least try. Relievers are guys who aren't good enough to be starters. Villaman fits the profile of a starter very well too. Remember, Justice was the Friday guy for like a month before moving to the pen last year.
PGAWolf
I think it's tough to judge when he didn't play a full season, it's a long season and not everyone comes out the gate swinging it. Say he would have gotten that K Rate down into the mid to low 20s. You're feeling a lot better. Not to mention the dude has a ton of bat speed.

But the biggest reason I would give him the first crack at it is State needs someone to patrol CF, especially considering how young State is up the middle.

As for the Villaman you definitely have to give some thought into putting him in the rotation, if he has developed a second pitch. In fact my rotation to start the year would be Villaman on Friday. Use Highfill on Saturday's to hopefully give the bullpen a rest between Friday and Sunday. Then Willadsen on Sunday. Then Harrison for the midweek/bullpen.
JCooke93
He is fine D.Pilolli13 and good to go
Colonel Armstrong
Single game tickets on sale now. But looks like standing room only for some games already? Is that temporary until they release more tickets?
JCooke93
No clue
JCooke93
4 weeks away
Glasswolf
PGAWolf said:

How I think Avent is going to do it

Jarrett 4
Groover 3
Hood 5
Brown 9
White DH
Cozart 2
Green 6
Soles 7
Pilloli 8

But if it were up to me Jarrett would bat 6th and Hood would lead off.
Jarrett will be batting 6/7
pack2010

89_Grad
pack2010 said:

this is impressive, but like the womens games, you are going to see lots of empty seats at games called sellouts, because season ticket purchasers buy blocks of four or six seats and then only one or two people go to games. Womens hoops tix were ridiculously cheap considering the quality of the product, so there was a considerable incentive to buy extra seats you weren't planning on sitting in, particularly given how small those seats in Reynolds are. Maybe with the hefty capital contribution this year, we had more people buying smaller numbers of season tix and actually showing up and using more of their seats.

Could season ticket holders sell their extras? Sure, but electronic ticketing has changed things, IMO.

I'm over 50, so I remember the days when, if you had extras, you had paper tickets you could sell at the gate on the way in. Now, with this electronic ticketing stuff, I don't feel comfortable exchanging cell phone numbers with a perfect stranger (which is the only way you can transfer the electronic tickets that I know of). Sure, I can transfer to a reseller, but that won't really work on your way into the game, will it?
DJncsu13
Looking at the WPC site, there are no single game tickets for the main sections. The only single game tickets they're offering are Standing Room (concourse), grass hill, and bleachers above grass hill. The mini-packs they offer (3 mid week games, 6 weekend games) are the same price as single game tickets, and they're all in the bleachers above the grass hill.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
JCooke93
3 weeks away
ShaggyWolf
JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away
Whats the rotation looking like?
JCooke93
Looking good
pack2010
ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

a lot of speculation Logan Adams will get the Sunday nod to start with Highfill and Willadsen. But Villaman or Payne wouldn't be a surprise either
SportManagementEngineer
pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

a lot of speculation Logan Adams will get the Sunday nod to start with Highfill and Willadsen. But Villaman or Payne wouldn't be a surprise either
I still like the idea of having Villaman at the backend of the bullpen. You can't win in the postseason without a closer. Justice was the key to our Omaha run.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
wolfpack1437
SportManagementEngineer said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

I still like the idea of having Villaman at the backend of the bullpen. You can't win in the postseason without a closer. Justice was the key to our Omaha run.
I'm with you on this. I like Villaman available for long relief or closing. Payne for long relief (was great in CWS Pack13 game but I don't think he is quite ready yet for a weekend spot. If Adams can perform in that weekend role we will be cooking with gas
EthanBarry
Staff
pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

Last couple years Johnston has started in the 'pen and ramp up during non conference play. I wonder if they do that with Highfill and Willadsen and start Adams, Villaman and Payne or something like that just to see what happens. Don't need to have a closer set in stone week one
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

Last couple years Johnston has started in the 'pen and ramp up during non conference play. I wonder if they do that with Highfill and Willadsen and start Adams, Villaman and Payne or something like that just to see what happens. Don't need to have a closer set in stone week one
I'm beginning to think they'll do what you suggested the other week and start Sam, Matt and Chris V on the weekend and then move Chris V to the pen like they did with Justice if no one else steps up.
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

I'm beginning to think they'll do what you suggested the other week and start Sam, Matt and Chris V on the weekend and then move Chris V to the pen like they did with Justice if no one else steps up.
I think Villaman will be much better as a starter than Justice was though, how does that impact things?
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

I think Villaman will be much better as a starter than Justice was though, how does that impact things?

Don't know, unfortunately. I just think there are dudes than can be Sunday guys for us more than I think we have a guy to be a closer for us. Does that make sense?
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

Don't know, unfortunately. I just think there are dudes than can be Sunday guys for us more than I think we have a guy to be a closer for us. Does that make sense?
It does. I think for the first 3 months of the year I'd rather have a good Sunday guy than an elite closer as well though. You can move that guy to the back of the pen in June if needed. Much tougher to make the move from closer to starter though, although it can be done at this level
PGAWolf
CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

If Justice had done better as a starter he would have stayed a starter the whole year. If Villaman proves he can be an effective starer then he will start. You're always going to prioritize finding a starter over a closer. Which is why guys like Justice and Villaman get every chance to prove they can start before moving them to the pen.

I think Villaman has the make up to be a starter. I worry about him developing a second pitch. To be a starter at the ACC level you have to have something other than a FB. As a closer you aren't going 2-3 times through the line up, lessening the value of a second or third pitch. Also I thought Villaman's stuff played up when he went to the pen last year.
CLTWolf
PGAWolf said:

CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

ShaggyWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

3 weeks away

If Justice had done better as a starter he would have stayed a starter the whole year. If Villaman proves he can be an effective starer then he will start. You're always going to prioritize finding a starter over a closer. Which is why guys like Justice and Villaman get every chance to prove they can start before moving them to the pen.

I think Villaman has the make up to be a starter. I worry about him developing a second pitch. To be a starter at the ACC level you have to have something other than a FB. As a closer you aren't going 2-3 times through the line up, lessening the value of a second or third pitch. Also I thought Villaman's stuff played up when he went to the pen last year.
Bolded point 1: Please don't take this the wrong way, but no ***** haha
Bolded point 2: That's why people like me think he'll eventually be the closer. Dude was nasty out of the pen starting with the Duke game and continuing against Bama, La Tech and Arkansas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.