Wolfpack baseball 2022 (36-21, 14-15)

146,670 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
jwpack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great career and just needs to complete an internship to graduate. He will do well with this opportunity to make his dreams come true.
SportManagementEngineer
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Colonel Armstrong
SportManagementEngineer said:

Nooooooo
CLTWolf

Good decision. It's the best money he'll get in the draft. He's one of my favorite players. Good luck Jonny!
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
packwest

Congrats to Johnny Bats. Hope he makes a pile of money and ends up in the big show.
Packsd14me

I think this is the right thing for Jonny! Good luck to him....
pack2010
MC from TOS said he was under the impression the UNCC kid was basically a done deal.
wolfpack1437
pack2010 said:

MC from TOS said he was under the impression the UNCC kid was basically a done deal.
We talking about Dom coming to State or someone else?
pack2010
wolfpack1437 said:

pack2010 said:

We talking about Dom coming to State or someone else?

Dom
JCooke93
No
Packchem91
CLTWolf said:

Good decision. It's the best money he'll get in the draft. He's one of my favorite players. Good luck Jonny!
Help me understand the draft process....why is this the best money he'll get in the draft as opposed to if he came back and hit 30 HRs and hit 500, etc?
wilmwolf
Right now he has negotiating power, as he could come back to school. So the team is more likely to work with his financial demands. If you have no college eligibility left, you have to take what they will give you. Yes, you can have a monster year and maybe get drafted earlier, but even if you are drafter earlier, you have to accept what they offer, which will more than likely be well below slot, because you have no other options. It does work out for the player sometimes, but more often than not, it doesn't.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packwest
Leverage.

He can choose to go back to school or go pro this year; a team has to make it worth his while to forego another year of school. Next year, he only has one option.
TraCha4
My opinion and I know it's not worth much, but Butler is a very solid and very productive player. However, he isn't what would be considered a 5 tool player. He put up great numbers and came through in clutch situations. My concern for him would be the what if's. What if he doesn't duplicate those numbers next year. What if.. etc.
In his case, I think you strike while the iron is hot and let him work his ass off in minor league ball.
BigLefty24
The money part is pretty trivial at these rounds. You're looking at maybe $100K sign on/slot bonus, and then living off Vienna Sausage year round when you hit the minors. A lot of these kids could probably come out better financially by using the new NIL rules. Minor league baseball is a grind, and a very poorly paid one at that.

At the same time, some of these kids are probably just tired of school, and ready to move on, and that's perfectly OK too.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Right now he has negotiating power, as he could come back to school. So the team is more likely to work with his financial demands. If you have no college eligibility left, you have to take what they will give you. Yes, you can have a monster year and maybe get drafted earlier, but even if you are drafter earlier, you have to accept what they offer, which will more than likely be well below slot, because you have no other options. It does work out for the player sometimes, but more often than not, it doesn't.
Ahhhhh, that makes lots of sense. Wasn't that the ol' Trot Nixon method of getting more $$$

Thanks....and thanks to BSorry and TraCha as well. I thought it was something real complicated, bceause the BB draft seems so....but this explanation is pretty old-school basic.
wilmwolf
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Ahhhhh, that makes lots of sense. Wasn't that the ol' Trot Nixon method of getting more $$$

Thanks....and thanks to BSorry and TraCha as well. I thought it was something real complicated, bceause the BB draft seems so....but this explanation is pretty old-school basic.
Yeah, all the slot values and all of that stuff is complicated, and I'm far from an expert. It's probably not huge money for a guy drafted in his position, but 70-100k this year is better than 7-10k after another year in college. There are examples of guys that have improved their stock and signed for more money after coming back, Evan Edwards being one, but it is a pretty big gamble. Minor league is a huge grind for most all prospects, and more often than not they burn out of it in a few years, so getting what you can as a signing bonus is the goal IMO.
Ripper
The difference between Evan Edwards and Johnston/Butler is that Johnston and Butler have already been in college (and played) for four years. I can't imagine coming back for a 5th year (Covid year) after already having been drafted. Makes little sense, other than just wanting to hang out in college for another year.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah, all the slot values and all of that stuff is complicated, and I'm far from an expert. It's probably not huge money for a guy drafted in his position, but 70-100k this year is better than 7-10k after another year in college. There are examples of guys that have improved their stock and signed for more money after coming back, Evan Edwards being one, but it is a pretty big gamble. Minor league is a huge grind for most all prospects, and more often than not they burn out of it in a few years, so getting what you can as a signing bonus is the goal IMO.
Yeah, I've changed my tune over the years on all the coming back vs going now decisions by taking my "heart" out of it....70-100k today versus another year in college is worth a lot. I'd guess he'd have the same grind in a year from now anyway, but have that much less $$ in his pocket.
tau06
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah, I've changed my tune over the years on all the coming back vs going now decisions by taking my "heart" out of it....70-100k today versus another year in college is worth a lot. I'd guess he'd have the same grind in a year from now anyway, but have that much less $$ in his pocket.

Yea baseball is the sort of the opposite of football or highly rated basketball recruits when it comes to the money in my mind. An extra year in school at a P5 level and playing great in football or as a freshman in basketball can vault you into exponentially more money. Staying an extra year in baseball does the opposite and takes money away from you. But the school as already gotten 3 years from the kid in baseball so they can do whatever they heck is best for them if they are in that position
wilmwolf
Yup, other than a top pick like Brackman (who had a contract clause about starting in triple A and being guaranteed a call up to the big team his first year if memory serves), the minor league grind is pretty similar for most prospects. Who knows how much a guy like Johnny will end up getting, since he's already announced he's signing it probably isn't much, but I'm sure he is probably ready to start his pro career. College baseball is a year long grind too, and sometimes we forget that the majority of them are only getting a partial scholarship. I think he did all he can do in college, so if he's ready to move on I understand that.
Colonel Armstrong
Here's a video that talks about the scholarship situation. I never realized that so many guys are paying their own way for school

JCooke93
And did you know that Vanderbilt cheated the system
Colonel Armstrong
Yup, basically can offer full rides to their players. Technically not against the rules but is an unfair advantage
pack2010
CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

Hall in LF
Pilolli CF
Brown RF
That's a pretty good Outfield
I'd probably put Pilolli in LF since that's been his position in college and Hall in CF. Hall's speed is best utilized in center, IMO. But yeah, add Soles and Truitt to the mix to battle it out for a spot and there's a lot of really good potential there, for sure!
We might have a log jam in the OF assuming both transfers happen. Noah Soles and Trey Truitt as well. Also still think there is a chance we get T. Craig on campus too. One of those dudes is likely DH, and wouldn't be surprised to see Devonte or even Hall at 3rd.
Packsd14me
pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

Hall in LF
Pilolli CF
Brown RF
I'd probably put Pilolli in LF since that's been his position in college and Hall in CF. Hall's speed is best utilized in center, IMO. But yeah, add Soles and Truitt to the mix to battle it out for a spot and there's a lot of really good potential there, for sure!
We might have a log jam in the OF assuming both transfers happen. Noah Soles and Trey Truitt as well. Also still think there is a chance we get T. Craig on campus too. One of those dudes is likely DH, and wouldn't be surprised to see Devonte or even Hall at 3rd.

Didn't Brown play 3rd two years ago? I seem to remember he did. That seems a way to get the best bats in the lineup
JCooke93
Yes he did
pack2010
Packsd14me said:

pack2010 said:

CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

Hall in LF
Pilolli CF
Brown RF

Didn't Brown play 3rd two years ago? I seem to remember he didthat seems a way to get the best bats in the lineup

He did. And Hall, the Clemson kid, started some games at both CF and SS for the Tigers. He could be insurance for Hood as well
ntcstate13
King Leary said:

Yup, basically can offer full rides to their players. Technically not against the rules but is an unfair advantage

Duke and Wake do similar things. Is this just a private school workaround?
Gost8
The Cheats baseball team along with UVA are fully endowed.
wilmwolf
Yup, they changed the rules in the recent past so that players can get both athletic and academic money combined, so schools like that can offer full rides to everyone one way or another.
JCooke93
Go Pack
aqasaw234
wilmwolf80 said:

Yup, they changed the rules in the recent past so that players can get both athletic and academic money combined, so schools like that can offer full rides to everyone one way or another.

how does a ncaa committee manage to land on a nice round scholarship number like 11.7? and how ironclad is that? has there ever been any discussion about increasing that total?

random question: what if a football or basketball recruit was a strong candidate for the park scholarship? do we get to save an athletic scholarship in that scenario? or do those two worlds not mix?

i know we'll always be looking up at the rest of the conference in terms of endowment figure, but the job randy woodson has done to close the gap (even if just a little) is remarkable. he's a brilliant fundraiser.

$1.45B is a loooong way from the incompetent oblinger era ($380M) when i first got to campus.
wilmwolf
I can't answer the how they got to 11.7, but the why is Title IX. As to the question about a football or basketball player on academic scholarship, I honestly don't know. Typically if a guy is playing football on scholarship, he has to count towards the scholarship limit for that sport. Teams were stashing guys on track and field scholarships to cheat the system, but they stopped that some time back. I'm not sure how it would work these days in your scenario.
aqasaw234
was andrew brackman on a baseball or basketball scholarship ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.