Wolfpack baseball 2022 (36-21, 14-15)

146,010 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
ecbwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are we looking like as far as potential guys returning and new recruits coming in?
wilmwolf
All nine of our starting lineup are draft eligible, as is justice. I operate under the assumption that they are all gone until they say otherwise. What we bring in will depend on the draft also, since we have some draftable prospects signed. I now we're bringing in a good SS on transfer, and I'm sure we'll get our share of JUCO guys because we always find good players that way. Too much unknown to really say at this point.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Glasswolf
Here's the recruiting thread. https://insidepacksports.com/forums/3/topics/1066 As far as who's gone expect to replace the following:

Jarrett, Murr, Mensik, McDonough, Torres, Butler, Brown, Tatum, Tresh, Justice, Johnston.

All are draft eligible
SniderFC
Man if we could somehow get Khalil Watson on campus..
metcalfmafia
He's already confirmed he's going pro. Man the kid is good though.
Wolfpack
2 CWS in 7 years with 6 NCAAT appearances (not counting covid 2020 year). I have full trust in Avent to put together a #redemptionsquad
braz213
This has been great for exposure and you have to think this season will benefit recruiting the next few years.
WolfpackJack69
Don't forget the transfer rule changed this year as well. I could see a couple of pretty solid transfers wanting to come hear after this run.
CLTWolf
Trey Truitt - Transfer from ECU. Playing really well in the Northwoods League this summer, hitting over .300. Big boy, from Charlotte went to East Meck. Had some big offers out of HS (unc, miami, clem, etc)

Brady Lavoie - Palomar College. 1B/OF 6'3 175.

Trendon Craig - Louisburg College. OF 6'1 195 STUD
https://www.lchurricanes.com/sports/bsb/2020-21/bios/craig_trendon_2lce

Josh Hood - Grad transfer from Penn. SS 6'1 185 Put up big numbers as a true FR. Listed on some draft lists
https://pennathletics.com/sports/baseball/roster/josh-hood/16054#sidearm-roster-player-stats

Logan Adams - College of Central Florida. RP 6'6 240 Went to Hoggard HS in Wilmington. Started off at Charleston Southern before ending up in junior college. Throws hard.
https://www.cfpatriots.net/sports/bsb/2020-21/bios/adams_logan_jv88

Jacob Widener - Palomar College. LP 6'6 215 Another big pitcher. Plays for the Martinsville Mustangs this summer in the CPL.

Justin Lawson - Bossier Parish CC RP 6'3 205
https://bpcc.prestosports.com/sports/bsb/2020-21/bios/lawson_justin_bstq?view=career&pos=p

There's a 6th JUCO commit that I don't know of yet. Definitely interested to hear who that is. Could also get a transfer or two but nothing has come out yet if that has or will happen.

2021 commit list
https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?college=1685

Watson ain't seeing college. Tommy White probably isn't either but maybe he drops enough to make it. Payton Green could make it but he's listed pretty high on a bunch of draft lists. He's more of a projectible type which could cause him to fall. Would love to see him in school.
Jacob Cozart is probably the starting C next year. His dad just stepped down as HC at High Point U.
After that who knows. I'm sure there will be a FR or two that surprises and Hart/Avent are usually good for a last minute addition to the class that ends up being really good. Preston Palmiero, Dalton Feeney, Devonte Brown, Tyler McDonough just to name a few, were late additions in their classes.

We (could/should) return several FR/covid FR from the roster as well.

Lots of pitching (could/should) return as well. Would really hope to get David Harrison back along with Austin Pace and Baker Nelson back from injury.

Please add to anything or anyone that I've missed here. I know my man J Cooke keeps up with this stuff as good as anyone so I hope he chimes in as well.

Going to be lots of turnover but Avent/Hart have shown they can bring the talent in.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Bell Tower Grey
Thanks for posting that CLT. Are the players you listed in bold type (above the 2021 commits) coming to State, or potential recruits?
CLTWolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

Thanks for posting that CLT. Are the players you listed in bold type (above the 2021 commits) coming to State, or potential recruits?

Those are the committed JUCOs and transfers that we know of. As I mentioned, there's another JUCO commit out there but don't know the name just yet, assuming that's legit info.
EthanBarry
Staff
A lot to replace but Highfill, Willadsen and Villaman is a heck of a place to start with a rotation. Won't see much better than that in the country.

Also, I know I'm in the minority but I don't see Johnston being gone as a foregone conclusion
ecbwolf
Thank you CLT!
pack2010
My EARLY guess for the starting lineup next year- with a lot subject to change

C- Cozart- I think we luck into getting him on campus
1st- B. Lavoie- not sure if he can play D there, but should have the bat to play. Giles/ Eisert and option too
2nd- Jarrett- rumblings that he comes back
SS- Hood- assuming he is on campus
3rd- Falsken/Eisert/P Green. Honestly no idea here. Staff likes Falsken, Eisert and Green are big recruits (if Green makes it to campus)
OF- Soles, Craig, Truitt. Thinking about it, is Soles still on campus? Is he hurt? Was he in Omaha? If so, this is a potentially very solid OF group.
DH- No idea. Giles? Can he put it together? Does someone else win it?
SniderFC
pack2010 said:

1st- B. Lavoie- not sure if he can play D there, but should have the bat to play. Giles/ Eisert and option too
3rd- Falsken/Eisert/P Green. Honestly no idea here. Staff likes Falsken, Eisert and Green are big recruits (if Green makes it to campus)
OF- Soles, Craig, Truitt. Thinking about it, is Soles still on campus? Is he hurt? Was he in Omaha? If so, this is a potentially very solid OF group.

I think you have Falsken switched with Giles. Giles was 3B and Falsken 2B in the scrimmage against Vandy
pack2010
SniderFC said:

pack2010 said:

I think you have Falsken switched with Giles. Giles was 3B and Falsken 2B in the scrimmage against Vandy
True, but I think Giles is of a 1st baseman compared to 3rd, but that's me. Falsken, while a middle IF, his chance for PT next year might be at 3rd. But hey, Giles is certainly a 3rd baseman candidate- he has the pop in his bat if he can make contact
packwest
EthanBarry said:

A lot to replace but Highfill, Willadsen and Villaman is a heck of a place to start with a rotation. Won't see much better than that in the country.

Also, I know I'm in the minority but I don't see Johnston being gone as a foregone conclusion

Not a foregone conclusion. I think his status is up in the air and a summer break may help.
EthanBarry
Staff
pack2010 said:

Soles was in Omaha. Have to figure he's starting somewhere in the outfield
CLTWolf
Giles took infield at 3rd while I was in Omaha and Eisert was at first. Falsken warmed up at SS and some 2B as well.
Daviewolf83
pack2010 said:

What are the chances Jarrett goes to Notre Dame, so he can play his last season with this dad?
wolfpack1437
Hun on TOS says Murr could be back
packwest
Idk how we replace that offense.
wilmwolf
I haven't heard that he will, but I've speculatively posted that he might think about that. I don't know what their roster is like or anything, just if I had a free year and most likely my last time playing, I'd think about it. He loves NC State though, and I'd love to have him back.
jadawson
am i thinkin correctly that it is going to be a smaller draft this year with covid and minor league contraction? Will that affect any guys who might have left in a normal year but may choose to use another year of eligibility?

Obviously some guys are just done with college regardless of draft outcome, but didn't know if that was being factored in.
EthanBarry
Staff
jadawson said:

am i thinkin correctly that it is going to be a smaller draft this year with covid and minor league contraction? Will that affect any guys who might have left in a normal year but may choose to use another year of eligibility?

Obviously some guys are just done with college regardless of draft outcome, but didn't know if that was being factored in.

It's a 20 round draft. Basically about 25% of the picks in the 40 round were wasted because those guys didn't sign, in some cases it was more than that. All of State's guys are good enough to easily go in the top 20 rounds and most in the top 10. Of course the rounds 8-10 are mostly senior signs to save money. State doesn't have any of those guys.

Recently, State has had edwards, deatherage and McLain pass on the draft as juniors. Difference with those guys is they were drafted after their third year, Murr, Brown, Tatum, Butler, johnston have played four years already. Tresh, McDonough and Torres are younger but are legit prospects and will get money.
3rdGenPacker
MLB Draft this year is 20 rounds, so substantially bigger than the 5 last year, but not 40 like it used to be.

I've heard Jarrett is coming back. Mensik may or may not, that one's up in the air. I'd be surprised if any other starters made it back, unless someone gets picked way lower than they expect. Murr could fall into that category, he's a great defensive first baseman that can definitely hit, but he's not a power profile kind of guy which may limit the teams that are excited about him as a first baseman.

The pitching alone should make this a very good team next year and help ease some growing pains from a ton of new position starters.
LegacyPack4
How is Torres draft eligible only being a freshman?
jadawson
LegacyPack4 said:

How is Torres draft eligible only being a freshman?
old for his class. you either need to be 3 years removed from HS class or 21 years old, and he's already 21.
wilmwolf
Also important to remember that class designations don't mean what they used to because of covid. Just think three years in school, or 21 years old (and a couple of other scenarios) are draft eligible regardless of "class".
wolfpack1437
The cool thing about the Torres situation is that he has leverage this year and next. If for some reason he gets drafted and doesn't like the offer he can come back and still have leverage next year. Obviously the chances of him returning are slim to none but he's in the best position of anybody bc of the free NCAA year
gopack_83
Hopefully we get lots of good options in the transfer portal to try and fill any gaps in the roster
78wilsonpack
I know it's pie in the sky, but what if a core group of them got together and wanted to come back as a group after what just happened to them.
wilmwolf
That would be cool and a good story, but if you are advising those guys, you have to do what is in their best interest, not what is the feel good story. A kid can't turn down legit signing bonus money and a chance to make the big leagues because their season ended in a crappy way. Maybe how it ended makes a couple of guys bet on themselves and come back for another year if they don't get drafted where they expect, but history says that from the perspective of getting drafted, that doesn't work out well. Guys with no eligibility left have zero draft leverage and are forced to sign deals with little or no bonus money.
TraCha4
Unfinished business- they are all coming back!!!!

LOL .. I wish.
FlockaWolf
I'm excited for next year just because of these 3 returning

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.