NASCAR 2021 Season Thread

100,499 Views | 1362 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Glasswolf
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Plate racing (as they call it) is full of the bumping we saw by McDowell. Basically, every wreck on a super speedway, is from a bump draft.

Let the guy have his day. McDowell always seems to be in the hunt on super speedways. I'm happy for him!
Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

translation?

It means "Those guys caused a few sparks but they are no Juan Pablo Montoya when it comes to burning things up"
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@Ourand_SBJ: "Given the number of rain delays that have hit NASCAR's biggest race over the last two decades, it may be worth thinking about starting the race at noon again. I'd be surprised if these discussions weren't already happening."

: https://t.co/Ri6TpbDN0j https://t.co/xxObLCrZCB
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

translation?

It means "Those guys caused a few sparks but they are no Juan Pablo Montoya when it comes to burning things up"

was it JPM that hit the track dryer truck?
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@Toyota has renewed its @RichmondRaceway spring race entitlement deal for 2021, extending a pact that started in 2013. https://t.co/4idCUpdFA0
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
looks like every other McDonald's car to me, except for number

Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

translation?

Yes. One of the damndest things I've ever seen during any type race.

Wolfer79
Adam Stern

California-based construction company Tarlton and Son Inc., a longtime @KyleLarsonRacin backer, will become an associate sponsor on @TeamHendrick's No. 5 Chevy this season. https://t.co/WU9cnWFmJr
PossumJenkins
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

translation?

One of my best friends was his spotter and on the roof that night. You can't imagine the mileage we've gotten out of those jokes...
Wolfer79
Saturday
5pm
Xfinity race
FS1
Wolfer79
Ben Rhodes wrapped up a perfect pair of race outings at Daytona International Speedway, answering his NASCAR Camping World Truck Series victory on the oval last week with a dramatic win Friday night on the infield road course.

It took three overtime starts to secure the victory over 2020 series champion Sheldon Creed, but Rhodes' work in the No. 99 ThorSport Racing Toyota marked only the third time in series history a driver had opened the season with back-to-back wins. And it marked the 200th victory for Toyota in the series.

Rhodes, 23, of Louisville, Kentucky, crossed the finish line .320-seconds ahead of Creed the running order froze, however, when a caution (one of 10 on the night) came out with a half-lap remaining in overtime.

John Hunter Nemechek, who won Stage 1 and led 14 laps on the night, finished third. Todd Gilliland, who started 31st, rallied to a fourth-place finish and Riley Herbst rounded out the top five.

Matt Crafton, Derek Kraus, Kaz Grala, Timmy Hill and Christian Eckes completed the top 10. Rookie Hailie Deegan was running in the top 10 until a spin on the final lap of overtime. She finished 28th.

"Unbelievable, I don't even have words for it," Rhodes said after climbing out of this truck just below the flagstand on the frontstretch. "I don't even know what to say, this is so cool.

"I just have to thank my team. The Bombardier Tundra was fast all day. ThorSport Racing gave me a truck that handled this year and we were fast. Rich (Lushes) is a really good crew chief. It's good to be paired up with him and all of the guys on my team. I'm just thrilled. I don't know what to say. I've been on cloud nine all week, so it's above that. I'm just so happy."

Certainly, Rhodes was in a celebratory mood following the race, but it was a tense finish. He was about 50 yards shy of the flagstand on the first overtime period when a caution came out, extending the race instead of earning him the trophy then.

He and Creed who led a race-best 17 laps dueled for the lead multiple times in the closing laps, often exchanging the point during the infield series of turns of the road course.

"Never fun being the first loser," Creed said. "But my guys brought a fast truck and I felt like we were on top of the strategy there going to slicks early. Man, got hit by a lapper there leading and I don't think that did us any favors and got to the lead, saving fuel and then worked my way back to the lead and got pushed out the way on the restart, just doing everything I could there. Wished it could have stayed green."

The race started under wet conditions with teams having to decide when the track was dry enough to switch from rain tires to slicks or "dry" tires. Nemechek was the early leader pacing the field for the opening 14 laps until his No. 4 Toyota suffered an oil-pressure and fuel-pickup problem, leaving the Tundra on track and necessitating a caution. Later he ran out of gas and at one point was a lap down to the leaders before racing back to the front in the closing laps.

Rhodes had to deal with Creed and then ultimately Nemechek's comeback in order to earn his fifth career victory.

"It was the most stressful race of my life for sure," Rhodes said. "There's been stressful races, but this was really stressful. I thought it was going to be taken away from us for sure.

"I'm not sure if they showed me throwing my hands up, I hope they didn't. Hope they didn't listen to the radio either. I was a little frustrated. Gosh, it all worked out now. So stressful, so stressful. I don't think I've had one that stressful before."

The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series next race is March 5 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (9 p.m. ET on FS1, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).
Steve Williams
Staff
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

translation?

I don't know if anyone noticed but I thought Kyle Busch was going to do the same thing right after he won the Busch clash a couple weeks ago. He damn near drove into the safety trucks after winning. Maybe he saw them but man, it was close.
Wolfer79
Details for Sunday's Daytona road course race
(All times are Eastern)

START: Actor Kevin James will give the command to start engines at 3:08 p.m. The green flag is scheduled to wave at 3:20 p.m.

PRERACE: Garage opens at 8 a.m. Drivers report to their cars at 2:40 p.m. Driver introductions are at 2:45 p.m. The invocation will be given at 3 p.m. The national anthem will be performed by CeCe Winans at 3:01 p.m.

DISTANCE: The race is 70 laps (252.7 miles) on the 3.61-mile course.

STAGES: Stage 1 ends on Lap 16. Stage 2 ends on Lap 34.

TV/RADIO: Fox will broadcast the race at 3 p.m. Its coverage begins at 2:30 p.m. Motor Racing Network's broadcast begins at 2 p.m. and also can be heard on mrn.com. SiriusXM NASCAR Radio will carry MRN's broadcast.

FORECAST: The wunderground.com forecast calls for partly cloudy skies with a high of 65 degrees and a 10% chance of rain at the start of the race.
ncsupack1
Although yesterday's race was entertaining I for one will be looking forward to racing somewhere else than Daytona after today. I understand the why's but man seems that they've been there for a month...lol
Wolfer79
congratulations to NASCAR not to schedule to interfere with unc-ch @ NC State WBB game today
tuffy1006
Wolfer79 said:

(All times are Eastern)

START: Actor Kevin James will give the command to start engines at 3:08 p.m. The green flag is scheduled to wave at 3:20 p.m.

PRERACE: Garage opens at 8 a.m. Drivers report to their cars at 2:40 p.m. Driver introductions are at 2:45 p.m. The invocation will be given at 3 p.m. The national anthem will be performed by CeCe Winans at 3:01 p.m.

TV/RADIO: Fox will broadcast the race at 3 p.m. Its coverage begins at 2:30 p.m. Motor Racing Network's broadcast begins at 2 p.m. and also can be heard on mrn.com. SiriusXM NASCAR Radio will carry MRN's broadcast.

FORECAST: The wunderground.com forecast calls for partly cloudy skies with a high of 65 degrees and a 10% chance of rain at the start of the race.
Uh oh lol
WarrenPeace
tuffy1006 said:

Wolfer79 said:

(All times are Eastern)

Uh oh lol

Pretty good show he has on Netflix now. It's what TV used to be.
tuffy1006
WarrenPeace said:

tuffy1006 said:

Wolfer79 said:

(All times are Eastern)

Uh oh lol

Pretty good show he has on Netflix now. It's what TV used to be.
big king of queens fan so i will check it out. thanks
caryking
Man... Chase Elliot has road courses figured out! This statement was made with 19 to go.
tuffy1006
pineknollshoresking said:

Man... Chase Elliot has road courses figured out! This statement was made with 19 to go.
not today my friend lol
ncsupack1

Chase was running good there for a minute. Was surprised by the move Bell put on Joey there in the end. Congrats Bell.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

Speedway Motorsports says its unique deal with @COTA is off to a strong start, with tickets/sponsorships being sold and the sides figuring out how to work together.

Max capacity will depend on coronavirus, but a crowd of 50K is not out of the question. https://t.co/SZPidTzpWI
caryking
tuffy1006 said:

not today my friend lol
Yea, not this race... As he said in the post race interview... The right move was to come in and get tires (Bell did); however, the race back to the front is what killed him...

That being said, I'm happy for Bell. When he said he wished his wife was there, I thought... Wow! That guy looks like he should be in High School.

The future is bright for NASCAR with the new and young drivers.
tuffy1006

tuffy1006 said:

not today my friend lol
Yea, not this race... As he said in the post race interview... The right move was to come in and get tires (Bell did); however, the race back to the front is what killed him...

That being said, I'm happy for Bell. When he said he wished his wife was there, I thought... Wow! That guy looks like he should be in High School.

yes Bell is pretty good. I thought Logano was gonna wreck him in the turn there for a sec. 2 Gibbs drivers get their first win in the same wknd. Cautions f'd Casey up for sure...then spinnin out killed his day

and yes there is some good young talent. My driver is Justin Haley. Still wondering where his career will take him...and how big can Kaulig Racing get. They want to go big time from what I understand...
Packchem91
tuffy1006 said:

tuffy1006 said:

not today my friend lol

yes Bell is pretty good. I thought Logano was gonna wreck him in the turn there for a sec. 2 Gibbs drivers get their first win in the same wknd. Cautions f'd Casey up for sure...then spinnin out killed his day

and yes there is some good young talent. My driver is Justin Haley. Still wondering where his career will take him...and how big can Kaulig Racing get. They want to go big time from what I understand...
When I saw an interview w/Bell during the 500 rain delay, I was shocked. Looked like he should be posing for his drivers license at 16.
But he is clearly talented. Now that he is in some good eqpt, could have a really good year.

I'm guessing if you'd bet $1000 on McDowell / Bell as the two Daytona winners 2 weeks ago, you could take a trip pretty much anywhere about right now.
tuffy1006
has a cup season ever opened with 2 first time winners?
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Sports Media Watch

NASCAR Daytona road race posts same rating as previous week's Daytona 500. +40% from last year's Daytona road race in August, -13% from last year's race 2 (Las Vegas): https://t.co/13EuMmhrVX
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@FoxTV earned a 2.8 rating and 4.750 million viewers for Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series race @Daytona, the most-watched road course race since 2014 and most-watched sports event of the weekend.

No direct comp to 2020 second race, Vegas, but that event got 5.515 million viewers. https://t.co/JxRleX3WfC
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

Speedway Motorsports today is rolling out the first three sponsors of its upcoming NASCAR event weekend @COTA, with @EchoPark taking the Cup Series race entitlement and @PitBossGrills nabbing the Xfinity race deal.

Pit Boss also becomes the official grill of all SM venues. https://t.co/aqeahDJ2iD
PossumJenkins
Man...they really went deep on that Echo Park signing...Marcus might have had to walk like a whole 2 doors down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.