NASCAR 2021 Season Thread

99,035 Views | 1362 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Glasswolf
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pineknollshoresking said:

Based on where the wreck happened, why did they throw a caution? Couldn't they let the guys race back to the finish line?
I think that wreck was severe enough they had to stop it. I mean, the 2 car got hit twice about as hard as you possibly can.
ciscopack

Based on where the wreck happened, why did they throw a caution? Couldn't they let the guys race back to the finish line?
Same winner....the first 3 cars did race back to the line.....yellow-checkerd finish. Loves lost the lead and got it back racing to the line from the high side. The win came however when the yellow came out.
Packchem91
ciscopack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Crazy finish. Congrats to the 34 team. I'm not a big fan of super speedway racing.....hate seeing a bunch of cars get totaled.
It's not racing; stay in line and try to miss the wrecks when racing starts. Congrats to the Loves crew.
Yeah, last night was 2 formats:
1) the boring single file line and don't move with no passing
2) chaos with 2-3 lines of cars packed together. The runs a couple of guys would get basically pushed a car right into the back of another, and if that car in front happened to be moving (to block or to turn), it caused a wreck.

But there is nothing more spectacular than when that large group of cars get together in a pack. It really is breathtaking.
Steve Williams
Staff
Really happy for the 34. Otherwise a "meh" Daytona 500 unless you're into single file racing. Most of the guys I like got taken out in the first wreck.
TraCha4
I'm sure the mindset for several teams is make it through the first two weeks without major disaster and we start racing on 2/28 at Homestead.
Wolfer79
ncsualum05
Funny story b/c I really don't watch racing or keep up with it at all. However my brother in law works on the crew for McDowell so he's a big winner. They've never won anything before so this is a big deal. I'll try to touch base with him later and see how he's doing. Hopefully he gets a good pay day out of it. He's a great guy but that's a tough industry.
Packchem91
TraCha4 said:

I'm sure the mindset for several teams is make it through the first two weeks without major disaster and we start racing on 2/28 at Homestead.
Until last night, I didn't realize week 2 is also at Daytona (road course). I know this year is goofy, but if they did this next year, assuming its normal, I'd think it would be a tough ticket sell to have back-to-back weekends at the same track.
Steve Williams
Staff
Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Until last night, I didn't realize week 2 is also at Daytona (road course). I know this year is goofy, but if they did this next year, assuming its normal, I'd think it would be a tough ticket sell to have back-to-back weekends at the same track.
Agreed. I think I saw last night that they're doing seven road courses this year.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Ryan McGee

Filed to ESPN from #DAYTONA500 : Last lap crashes, last lap lead changes, and the last lap being the only lap the winner led. It's no longer considered crazy. It's the new Daytona normal.
https://t.co/kYAjchNJhZ
caryking
Steve Williams said:

Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Agreed. I think I saw last night that they're doing seven road courses this year.
Where is the Road America track? Houston? Is this the track that F1 races on?

I got my answer by going to there website. It's in Austin and it is where the USGP is held.
tuffy1006

Steve Williams said:

Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Where is the Road America track? Houston? Is this the track that F1 races on?

I got my answer by going to there website. It's in Austin and it is where the USGP is held.
Road America is in Wisconsin. Circuit of the Americas is in Austin.
PossumJenkins
TheStorm said:

tuffy1006 said:

well they got back to racing. Still some boneheaded driving going on. I feel like Logano is going to cause the next big one.

These guys dont race very smart for the most part.
Idiots. They are racing the Road Course at Daytona next week, and therefore don't have anywhere the teams have to go. Should have been postponed back to a daytime restart. Tons of people are working from home to begin with already as well.

Why is it that NASCAR never seems to make the right decisions during their biggest race of the year. They manage to **** up the 500 almost every year now it seems... oh well.

Hauler drivers have to get back and swap cars. Road course cars and super speedway cars are massively different. And crew guys gotta get back. Road course cars are a challenge cause they usually only have a handful of them...assume that will change this year.
BP Cox
Staff
McDowell wrecked his way to the checkered flag...lol.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
tuffy1006
BP Cox said:

well Brad Keselowski was mad at Logano, not McDowell. Hard to tell from the replay, but Logano was coming down as Brad K was making his move with help from McDowell
tuffy1006
BP Cox said:

in this pic, at the point contact is made between BK and Logano, McDowell was no longer on BK's bumper. It wasnt like he hooked him. This wasnt a Dega/Jr/JJ/Vickers scenario.
ncsupack1
Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Second race was supposed to be at Auto Club Speedway in California, but we all know how that state is right now.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

@LovesTravelStop marketing exec Dave Frankenfield says "to win the iconic Daytona 500 on Valentine's Day in the Love's No. 34 Ford Mustang is just incredible."

Love's will be the major partner on @Mc_Driver's No. 34 Ford this season, with around 20 primaries at minimum. https://t.co/34rMPQFzdk
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NASCAR/@Daytona/@FoxTV had a pre-set agreement on how late a rain delay could run and were still within the window when track was dry, per @ChipWile.

: "That made the decision to keep drying the track easy because we all had a target time and knew we could still get there." https://t.co/DFRun4QAPg
Packchem91
ncsupack1 said:

Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Second race was supposed to be at Auto Club Speedway in California, but we all know how that state is right now.
Ahhhh, that makes sense, thank you for the reminder!
TheStorm
^ I don't think that's really the entire deal... I took it as they are trying to cut down on travel to an extent.

2 races at Daytona, then Homestead (all in Florida)... then they are shooting out and picking up Phoenix and Las Vegas... then back for ATL, Bristol, then the 2 Virginia Races and then Talladega.

Looked to me like they are grouping some races together that make geographical sense (like the PGA).
ciscopack
BP Cox said:

That's the thing about racing, it's almost normal. He gave 2 a good shove.

I was racing one of the best kart builders and mechanics in the world and I had the fastest super-stock kart that day and I smoked everyone except the leader (Jeffrey). I couldn't pass him without really roughing him up or possibly taking him out and I got 2nd. His dad lit into me after the race and told me to take him out if I had to, my kart was faster. I spent many $1,000s with them and Jeff was that engine builder that also weighed my kart out.

If I had it to do over.....I'd won, no matter what it took. I didn't do it because of who it was.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Everpack said:

Anyone watch the E60 on Earnhardt's legacy? Really well done. As someone who grew up with NASCAR as an Earnhardt fan, but hasn't watched a race in probably three years, I'm looking for a reason to get back to the couch on Sundays.

Dang it i completely forgot that was on a separate channel. I had the terrible pre pre race on fs1 that basically showed 5 seconds of everything that was coming on on the actual pre race
looks like replay tonight at 730pm in espnnews
https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/upcoming

edit
Monday 5am and 8pm on espnnews
https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/upcoming/startDate/20210215

Wednesday 9pm espnnews
https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/upcoming/startDate/20210217

Wolfer79
@UniWatch don't think I've seen this before: Naming rights on a season ticket program.

Darlington Raceway partners with Myrtle Beach hotel on naming rights to season ticket program https://t.co/hCzgpwMVsG
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@FS1 earned 1.065 million viewers for Friday night's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season opener, up 6% from 1.005 million last year and the most watched edition of that race since 2017.

Daytona 500 figures will be out tomorrow (along with Xfinity and ARCA). https://t.co/bkaTUpkNHH
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

^ I don't think that's really the entire deal... I took it as they are trying to cut down on travel to an extent.

2 races at Daytona, then Homestead (all in Florida)... then they are shooting out and picking up Phoenix and Las Vegas... then back for ATL, Bristol, then the 2 Virginia Races and then Talladega.

Looked to me like they are grouping some races together that make geographical sense (like the PGA).

Was told that was a reason, Auto Club was on the schedule, but NASCAR couldn't wait for California and officials to make a decision...hence why they moved the race to Daytona. NASCAR didn't want to waste team and partners money for a race that more than likely wasn't going to happen.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@FoxTV earned 8.48 million viewers for the initial tune-in to Sunday's Daytona 500 (pre rain delay), per @Mulvihill79.

That's lower than initial tune-in last year when former President Trump gave the event a notable bump, but higher than '19, the last year with no president. https://t.co/uVHaiV0yfC
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@LovesTravelStop got $9,251,770 in media exposure value across TV/digital thanks to Michael McDowell's win in the Daytona 500, per @ApexMarketing Group President Eric Smallwood.

The late finish dampened the potential exposure because there were less regional news highlights. https://t.co/a7KHQNBiSr
BP Cox
Staff
Rewind that film a few more frames and you'll see the contact from McDowell to Keslowski.

I made my statement in jest but he did initiate the contact. Whether JL slowed which caused BK to slow down, not sure.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Wolfer79
.@FS1 earned 1.609 million viewers for Saturday's NASCAR Xfinity race, off 11% year over year but most-watched event on FS1 since Iowa-Wisconsin CFB in December.

FS1 got 892,000 viewers for the ARCA race at Daytona, where @JamieLittleTV made history in the booth, up 12% YOY. https://t.co/fXJa6b0tz5
Wolfer79
Ryan McGee

I know not NASCAR, but it is about racing

We should all strive to be the kind of person who receives the "he's just the greatest guy" praise that we've heard about Bob Jenkins over the last 24 hours. It's 100% the truth. And we are all 100% behind Bob in his cancer fight. https://t.co/xRwrUKUAW6

He also called IndyCar, NASCAR and Formula One races for other networks including ABC, ESPN, NBC Sports Network and its predecessor Versus. Jenkins anchored "NASCAR on ESPN" from 1979 to 2000, appeared in "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" and provided the voice for several video games, including EA Sports' popular "NASCAR."
Wolfer79
translation?

tuffy1006
BP Cox said:

Rewind that film a few more frames and you'll see the contact from McDowell to Keslowski.

I made my statement in jest but he did initiate the contact. Whether JL slowed which caused BK to slow down, not sure.
oh I know they made contact, bumb draft. But McDowell didnt spin him out. My point was that he was off Brad K's bumper by the time he tried to go inside Logano. Logano blocking as Brad K had that big push was the problem. Had Logano not blocked like that, or timed it better, then Brad K wouldnt have wrecked.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.