NASCAR 2021 Season Thread

98,996 Views | 1362 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Glasswolf
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Steve Williams
Staff
pineknollshoresking said:

I grew up on NASCAR going back to the 70's. Lost interest for a while and got back into it when "the pass on the grass" happened. I became a big Earnhardt fan on that day.

It really is amazing to think of how he was killed. I became a Jr. fan until he retired. Lost interest in NASCAR again until last year. I'm enjoying it like I used to. Not sure what brought me back; other, than some of the new talent. Chase Elliot, along with Ryan Blaney are becoming my favorites. Also, anybody driving the 21 car...
Not gonna lie, I hated Earnhardt when he raced. The night he wrecked Terry Labonte at Bristol I wanted to come through the TV. As time has passed and having watched a ton of shows about his life, I have so much more respect for him simply as a person. I believe it was NBC that had a special on Neil Bonnet and it showed a side of Earnhardt I had never seen.
TraCha4
Bowman was really fast.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Williams said:

I grew up on NASCAR going back to the 70's. Lost interest for a while and got back into it when "the pass on the grass" happened. I became a big Earnhardt fan on that day.

It really is amazing to think of how he was killed. I became a Jr. fan until he retired. Lost interest in NASCAR again until last year. I'm enjoying it like I used to. Not sure what brought me back; other, than some of the new talent. Chase Elliot, along with Ryan Blaney are becoming my favorites. Also, anybody driving the 21 car...
Not gonna lie, I hated Earnhardt when he raced. The night he wrecked Terry Labonte at Bristol I wanted to come through the TV. As time has passed and having watched a ton of shows about his life, I have so much more respect for him simply as a person. I believe it was NBC that had a special on Neil Bonnet and it showed a side of Earnhardt I had never seen.
I was at Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet one afternoon in early December 2008, talking with our mutual friend, when he stopped by. He chatted with Tom and me for about 20 minutes, said he had to run, and left a manilla envelope on Tom's desk. He told Tom it was for "the list". When he was gone, Tom opened the envelope and inside was $10,000 in hundred dollar bills. "The list" was a list of needy families in the area that each would receive $100 to help with meals or gifts for Christmas, from Santa. Those receiving money were picked from names provided from area civic clubs that knew these families in need. Tom said he did it every year at Christmas. Like him or not on the track, the man had the heart of a saint.
ciscopack
Clint Bowyer is going to be great behind the mike!!!
ciscopack
Steve Williams said:

Spent a good bit of time talking to Eddie Wood at the best dirt go-kart track ever; my cousin was the owner. I remember the week before the state race.....the ladies came by to check the track out....Jon's mom. That was some peaceful racing for the family, away from the high stress. Eddie opened up some about the business with my cousin and I at those races, back in the day (late 1990's).
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
NextEra Energy 250, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Practice FS1, 5:30 p.m.

NASCAR Cup Series
Duel at Daytona, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Duel 1 FS1, 7 p.m.
Duel 2 FS1, 8:30 p.m.

NASCAR RaceDay: Daytona FS1, 6:30 p.m.
The Golden Hour: Making of "Days of Thunder" FS1, 10 p.m.
Wolfer79
"race day, accident, and hospital

tough read
----------

How did we let this happen?" Part 3 of our four-part series looking back on the Dale Earnhardt legacy revisits Feb. 18, 2001, including memories from Dale Jr., Mike Helton and others ahead of our one-hour @E60 special, Sunday noon ET on ESPN.

Wolfer79
I need to do research on 1 o'clock angle because looking at pictures of wreck, it is not what I thought.

it sounds like car hits wall at such an angle that driver is thrown to right side of steering wheel rather than into steering wheel which makes the head snap worse
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@ClintBowyer has signed an endorsement deal with @FoxBet, which is owned by Flutter Entertainment and has a licensing deal with Fox.

Fox Bet will roll out a "Win Clint's Money" campaign for its Super 6 app, building off the similar one Terry Bradshaw did during NFL season. https://t.co/Qa8TbBwJBO
caryking
Steve Williams said:

As you were wanting to go through the screen, I sunk in my couch looking to hide my face. I get it!. It was not one of his finest moments on the track, no doubt...
Steve Williams
Staff
I've always thought this was probably the freakest accident in NASCAR history. If the angle of impact is changed just an inch or two either way you wonder if this ever happens. Even back in the day we saw tons of wrecks that looked exponentially worse than this one where the driver wasn't injured at all. However, in this case it just seemed to be the perfect collection of bad coincidences.
caryking
Steve Williams said:

I've always thought this was probably the freakest accident in NASCAR history. If the angle of impact is changed just an inch or two either way you wonder if this ever happens. Even back in the day we saw tons of wrecks that looked exponentially worse than this one where the driver wasn't injured at all. However, in this case it just seemed to be the perfect collection of bad coincidences.
It is stated that Dale Earnhardt sat in his seat very low and laid back. I believe that is one of the reason that this happened along with an open mask helmet.
ciscopack
Wolfer79 said:

tough read
----------

How did we let this happen?" Part 3 of our four-part series looking back on the Dale Earnhardt legacy revisits Feb. 18, 2001, including memories from Dale Jr., Mike Helton and others ahead of our one-hour @E60 special, Sunday noon ET on ESPN.

That crash saved lives! I hate it took Dale. Dale's wreck was a sudden stop....roll bars don't do that much for those but soft walls help immensely.
BP Cox
Staff
ciscopack said:

Wolfer79 said:

tough read
----------

That crash saved lives! I hate it took Dale. Dale's wreck was a sudden stop....roll bars don't do that much for those but soft walls help immensely.
Yep, now everyone wears the HANS device when they race. That is directly a result of his crash.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NASCAR has a new licensing deal with @IglooProducts, which is selling branded coolers for $39.99.

They will start being sold Sunday on https://t.co/6nh60ercop.

Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@FS1 earned 1.577 million viewers for Tuesday night's Busch Clash, down from 2.455 million for last year's race, though that was run on a Sunday when NASCAR typically rates better.

Tuesday's race was FS1's best audience since Iowa-Wisconsin college football game in December. https://t.co/oJZjRG4BJb
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

Fox Sports remains bullish on NASCAR ratings this year after a stable '20 and compelling storylines for '21, per @Mulvihill79.

With little practice/quali this year, Mulvihill also noted the industry should keep in mind how valuable that content had traditionally been to Fox. https://t.co/KihstWBzMl
Wolfer79
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

.@FS1 earned 1.577 million viewers for Tuesday night's Busch Clash, down from 2.455 million for last year's race, though that was run on a Sunday when NASCAR typically rates better.

Tuesday's race was FS1's best audience since Iowa-Wisconsin college football game in December. https://t.co/oJZjRG4BJb

I don't get why NASCAR/TV keep pushing the week night racing thing...just doesn't work.
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

.@NASCAR has a new licensing deal with @IglooProducts, which is selling branded coolers for $39.99.

They will start being sold Sunday on https://t.co/6nh60ercop.

Will be buying a couple of these bad boys.
Wolfer79
ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

I don't get why NASCAR/TV keep pushing the week night racing thing...just doesn't work.

I think there was a football game Sunday night, but not on Fox
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

There was, but the numbers don't support week night racing.
TheStorm
ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

There was, but the numbers don't support week night racing.
They should have had it on Sunday at 1:00PM...
TraCha4
Numbers don't lie so I'm not going to agree that. However, my family loves the week night racing. It's hard to sit down on a Sunday afternoon and watch tv for us.
Bell Tower Grey
ciscopack said:

He gets old, quickly. After watching him on repeat runs of his one segment on Diner,s, Drive-Ins and Dives, his schtick was worn out. Same thing will happen here. Bowyer loves him some Bowyer.
ciscopack
Bell Tower Grey said:

ciscopack said:

He gets old, quickly. After watching him on repeat runs of his one segment on Diner,s, Drive-Ins and Dives, his schtick was worn out. Same thing will happen here. Bowyer loves him some Bowyer.
He might have to find the groove. Time for a DW change. Anyone up for the 2nd Dual?
ncsupack1
Field is set, and I'm ready! Fell asleep during the second race. Now we just need the rain to hold off this weekend.
Wolfer79
starting lineups

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.nascar.com/news-media/2021/02/12/projected-starting-lineup-for-2021-daytona-500/amp/
TraCha4
Tough night for Bowman and Byron. Highs of starting up front for Daytona 500 and few hours later they are dealing with the lows of starting in the back.
Wolfer79
Part 4 of our Dale Earnhardt series. How the Earnhardt tragedy made #NASCAR safer and saved so many lives, including Ryan Newman one year ago.

Steve Williams
Staff
For those that didn't stay up for the finish of the second duel.

Wolfer79
Steve Williams said:

For those that didn't stay up for the finish of the second duel.

thank you
Wolfer79
Pablo Torres
espn Daily

Whether you know nothing or everything about auto racing, today's ESPNDaily is really worth hearing.

It's the story of how, 20 years ago, Dale Earnhardt's death changed NASCAR forever. And it's told by the phenomenal @ESPNMcGee who's seen it all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.