NASCAR 2021 Season Thread

99,040 Views | 1362 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Glasswolf
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Adam Stern

.@Mulvihill79 on @NASCAR practice/quali: "It rates at a level that really makes it important for us. I can't speak to the way the teams or drivers think about it. But just as a media partner, we don't take that content lightly at all. ... We want to have as much ... as we can." https://t.co/OUsDm7XzML
Wolfer79
Sports Business Journal

.@NASCARONFOX / @FOXSports is bullish on #NASCAR ratings this year after a stable '20 and a multitude of compelling storylines heading into '21.

Free to read: https://t.co/b6N4XLEUjc
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@SmithfieldBrand is going to count last night's Duel win by @Aric_Almirola as eligible for its Taste Victory promotion, so Almirola will announce today that someone who signed up for the program has won $10,000. https://t.co/mzaMPJBdaM
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@StevePhelps tells @JennaFryer that he anticipates @NASCAR returning to having more practice and qualifying next year, after cutting back significantly in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic. https://t.co/lEAhoLB1vw
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NASCAR expects to allow 20-30% of capacity at its tracks this year for attendance, per EVP @Daryl_Wolfe, as the sport works to bring back an important part of its atmosphere and revenue.

NASCAR is hopeful that range can be increased later this year but it's not a certainty. https://t.co/y9nb0yvT8e
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@MarcusLemonis says that he is going to "gamify" his @NASCAR_Trucks activation this year by doing giveaways that are based around watching races.

First one involves picking the winning driver for tonight's race [https://t.co/QNvuIhydIz] with a $500 gift certificate reward. https://t.co/PxvVRaZQf1
Bell Tower Grey
Outside of all the local short track events nationwide, it's looking like once again that the trucks will have the best racing in nascar this season.
Steve Williams
Staff
Bell Tower Grey said:

Outside of all the local short track events nationwide, it's looking like once again that the trucks will have the best racing in nascar this season.

So far so good
Bell Tower Grey
Great last lap by Ben Rhodes. Hell of a race, all around.
ncsupack1
Truck race was pretty good. Hopefully we see some more racing today and the weather holds out.
Wolfer79
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2021/02/12/camping-world-truck-series-2021-daytona-jordan-anderson-cory-roper/

Jordan Anderson found himself opening the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in a similar spot to last year, edged by less than a truck length after a frenzied overtime charge. Cory Roper was in unfamiliar ground altogether, in sight of the checkered flag at Daytona International Speedway with no top-five results in his previous 27 efforts in the series.

The two underdogs found common ground in Friday night's Next Era Energy 250 at Daytona, with Anderson matching his career-best from a year ago in second place and Roper right behind him, scoring a personal high of third. Both avoided the last-lap carnage that thwarted their rivals, and the pair were just a short distance behind Ben Rhodes' race-winning No. 99 ThorSport Racing Toyota at the end.

For Anderson, his result was a near replay of the 2020 Daytona opener as he came home second behind another ThorSport contender, Grant Enfinger. This year, it was Rhodes with the upper hand, but his nifty carving act through the field "a pure Moses moment," he said, describing his run from outside the top 10 to the podium on the final lap was a highlight-reel performance.

Like last year, the outcome prompted an emotional post-race interview with the engaging South Carolinian, who has grown his racing operation working within a strict budget. Anderson plans on competing for championship points with a move to the Xfinity Series this season, but the 29-year-old owner/driver opted against shuttering his Truck Series outfit a move that paid off with his second career top five.

It's pretty crazy. It's a huge boost," Anderson said, noting Bobby Reuse would drive his No. 3 entry next weekend at the Daytona Road Course. " We almost shut this truck deal down. We wanted to keep it going because we had so much blood, sweet and tears put into this program the last three years and wanted to keep it going to hopefully provide an opportunity for drivers like myself that just needed a shot to come run a truck some this year. Excited to see how that might shake out."

Roper's rally to final-lap victory contention didn't equal Anderson's in terms of positions gained, but it was no less dramatic. His No. 04 Roper Racing Ford scraped the outside retaining wall shortly after the white flag flew, but it didn't slow him as he snatched the top spot away from defending series champ Sheldon Creed, with Rhodes in tow.

Rhodes pressured then bypassed him out of Turn 4 as a chain-reaction crash broke out behind the lead fray. Anderson kept his momentum to push Roper back one spot in the final rundown, but the 43-year-old Texan was all smiles after easily topping his previous best finish of ninth at Texas Motor Speedway in 2019, despite coming so close to a breakthrough win.

"It's bittersweet. I mean, you can't be upset with a third in this series," said Roper, who had indicated his team's intent to run the full season after part-time campaigns the last three years. "This is probably the most competitive series on the circuit, I believe, just to make this race. We were this close to not making it, right? We were the last truck making it on speed, which we knew we were going to be struggling. To get a good finish like that, you've got to be happy for your guys who work on it so hard."
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Daytona 500, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Second Practice FS2, 9:30 a.m.
Final Practice FS1, noon

Xfinity Series
Beef. It's What for Dinner 300, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Qualifying FS2, 10:30 a.m./FS1, 11 a.m.
Race FS1, 5 p.m.

NASCAR Race Hub Weekend Edition FS1, noon
NASCAR RaceDay: Xfinity Daytona FS1, 4 p.m.
NASCAR Xfinity Series Post-Race Show FS1, 7:30 p.m.
TheStorm
Yeah, I was watching the first Duel in my recliner, next thing I knew I was waking up and the second Duel started... feel asleep again about 20 laps in. LOL.
ncsupack1
Finally watched the second duel on replay on FS1. IMO...much better than the first.
TheStorm
ncsupack1 said:

Finally watched the second duel on replay on FS1. IMO...much better than the first.
It wasn't that I was bored by it at all... it was that I allowed myself to get way too comfortable while watching.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

ncsupack1 said:

It wasn't that I was bored by it at all... it was that I allowed myself to get way too comfortable while watching.

Ha...that is exactly what happened to me.
tuffy1006
ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

ncsupack1 said:

lol I remember one year I was having some neck/back issues. Bought a new very comfy recliner and in addition the doc put me on a mild muscle relaxer that made me sooo tired....I fell asleep and missed the end of the two biggest races of the year, the Daytona 500 and the Indy 500.
tuffy1006
xfinity qual has been rained out
Wolfer79
TheStorm
^ Same paint scheme from the other night, isn't it?
Wolfer79
ciscopack
Because it was Dale Earnhart; track safety improved, car safety improved and what is worn improved. If you could ask Dale Earnhart Sr. about it; he'd be proud! That's the kind of dude he was and yeah, he played rough.

I watched the Smokey Yunick special this morning....good stuff!
Wolfer79
ciscopack said:

Because it was Dale Earnhart; track safety improved, car safety improved and what is worn improved. If you could ask Dale Earnhart Sr. about it; he'd be proud! That's the kind of dude he was and yeah, he played rough.

I watched the Smokey Yunick special this morning....good stuff!

Mr Yunick is an often ignored part of NASCAR history
Tootie4Pack
ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

ncsupack1 said:

If you ever get the chance to go watch a race at Daytona , do it. You won't fall asleep at the track ( this coming from someone who has dozed off at Charlotte and at Rockingham).

The freight train of cars is pretty awesome to see in person. And at night is even better. Watching Dale, Jr win his second 500 after the rain out and at night was simply awesome.
Bell Tower Grey
Overtime in the Busch race tonight. Austin Cindric won an overall good race, even though the last 20 laps or so was a wreck fest, including a red flag at one point. He held off Brett Moffitt, Harrison Burton, Jeb Burton and AJ Almendinger for the win. Cindric is the series defending champion.

Tomorrow's Cup race is on Fox at 2:30.
ciscopack
mdreid said:

Hailie Deegan
Truck pilot Jennifer Jo Cobb.

Toni Breidinger
Steve Williams
Staff
I could see Cindric being the next up and comer.
Steve Williams
Staff
Really good read:

Anatomy of a miracle: How Ryan Newman survived NASCAR's worst crash in decades

https://sports.yahoo.com/anatomy-of-a-miracle-how-ryan-newman-survived-nasca-rs-worst-crash-in-decades-190034682.html
Wolfer79
Happy #DAYTONA500 Day! Here's our annual Cliff's Notes race preview with facts and predictions that even non-#NASCAR fans can use to be impress their family and friends.

Wolfer79
Pre-race coverage for the Daytona 500 will begin at 11 a.m. ET with NASCAR RaceDay on FS1. NASCAR RaceDay will move over to FOX at 1 p.m. ET, leading up to the race at 2:30 p.m. ET on FOX, FOX Deportes, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio and in Canada on TSN 1 and TSN 4.

Driver introductions for the Daytona 500 are set for 2:05 p.m. ET. Grand marshal Pitbull will give the command for drivers to start their engines at 2:53 p.m. ET. Then, the green flag for the Daytona 500 is expected to wave at 3:05 p.m. ET.

The race is scheduled for 200 laps. Stage 1 is set to end at Lap 65, Stage 2 at Lap 130 and the checkered flag at the conclusion of Lap 200.
Wolfer79
Marty and McGee spent 2.5 hours of their 3 hour show yesterday on Dale Earnhardt. I have not listened to podcast yet, but both talked yesterday about their work responsibilities that day. Marty worked for NASCAR Communications and Ryan worked for Fox and produced Fox's obit.

Remembering Dale Earnhardt: 2/13

Marty & McGee remember Dale Earnhardt on the 20th anniversary of his passing at the Daytona 500. The guys chat about their memories of Big E, how Dale Jr. handled losing his father and many other stories. The Undefeated's Clinton Yates also joins them to discuss Dale

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=22762021&src=desktop
Wolfer79
Ryan McGee

So, I'm going to go on and say this. I ain't answering #DAYTONA500 weather forecast questions all day. I can look out the window, but honestly, the same tools I'm using to try and figure out what might happen today are what you're using at home. So, google it up, y'all!

ncsupack1
I think they get the race in, could be a delay. Lot of good cars out there today, I hope to a Ford win today.
TraCha4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.