George Floyd

125,497 Views | 1023 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SupplyChainPack
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cool - so there's probably a line at some point
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Don't go down the rabbit hole man
packgrad
Probably. Nowhere near where yours apparently is though. I also don't think the officer that pushed the old man should be fired, and charging them with a crime is ridiculous political grandstanding.
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

statefan91 said:

Don't go down the rabbit hole man

Agree man don't do it. It's deep. And dark.
statefan91
packgrad said:

Probably. Nowhere near where yours apparently is though. I also don't think the officer that pushed the old man should be fired, and charging them with a crime is ridiculous political grandstanding.
Are you talking about the one that knocked over the old man in Buffalo? The one that is still in serious condition in the hospital?
packgrad
I'm not aware of another one.
statefan91
Ok
BobbyCox95
I imagine one of the best ways to make a country as dangerous as possible would be to vilify and denigrate our police officers to the point where no one is willing to do it anymore. We can see how 100% of the police are now treated because of the actions of .1% of the officers. They are already underpaid, overworked and constantly disrespected and we wonder why they make mistakes every once in a while.

Has anyone even checked into the 18 allegations of officer Chauvins to see if there is a pattern of racist behavior? How do we know he's not just a power hungry, crooked cop who treats everyone poorly? My question is why, after 18 allegations is he still a police officer? Now his actions have triggered abuse and disrespect to every officer in America. For what? 99.99% of our police force are honest, brave, hard working Americans who are now constantly in exponentially more danger than they already were.

And we have posters on this very board that think a police officer should be fired for putting his hand to his ear in a sign of "I can't hear you". Are we serious? Is this a joke? Dude is getting harrassed and abused and called names and he pretends to raise the roof and he should be fired??????? He puts his life on the line to protect his community. You can miss me with that.
packgrad
100%
IseWolf22
BobbyCox95 said:

Has anyone even checked into the 18 allegations of officer Chauvins to see if there is a pattern of racist behavior? How do we know he's not just a power hungry, crooked cop who treats everyone poorly? My question is why, after 18 allegations is he still a police officer? Now his actions have triggered abuse and disrespect to every officer in America. For what? 99.99% of our police force are honest, brave, hard working Americans who are now constantly in exponentially more danger than they already were.
Police Unions

99.9% of Officers should be on the side of reforms because people are angry that the 0.1% often aren't held accountable. The majority of protesters are against the overall system, not individual cops.
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Police Unions

99.9% of Officers should be on the side of reforms because people are angry that the 0.1% often aren't held accountable. The majority of protesters are against the overall system, not individual cops.

Reform is absolutely necessary. Hard not to see the value in unions though when people want police fired for defending themselves.
BobbyCox95
IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Police Unions

Then why are they abusing individual cops? Cops that have nothing to do with any of this. We have been taught by the media that cops are the enemy. We've been taught that we live in a culture of police brutality and racist cops. This isn't right.
statefan91
Sounds like you may have a problem with police unions if you're wondering why he wasn't fired after that many complaints?

And if you're being honest, you would see a police officer demonstrating an inability to interact with a peacefully protesting public. Whether or not he likes the message they're protesting, if he is in a role where he is supposed to be interacting with citizens as a representative of the CMPD, he should have the ability to do so without antagonizing and trying to escalate an already tenuous situation where they are literally protesting mistreatment by police. Maybe I have higher expectations of someone who has voluntarily decided to protect and serve?

PS - Koch makes $100k so saying he's underpaid and overworked might be a stretch.
IseWolf22
packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Police Unions

Reform is absolutely necessary. Hard not to see the value in unions though when people want police fired for defending themselves.

They have far too much power over the disciplinary process. I'm not saying unions need to be abolished but they are powerful political entities and many cities need to reign them in
BobbyCox95
statefan91 said:

Sounds like you may have a problem with police unions if you're wondering why he wasn't fired after that many complaints?

And if you're being honest, you would see a police officer demonstrating an inability to interact with a peacefully protesting public. Whether or not he likes the message they're protesting, if he is in a role where he is supposed to be interacting with citizens as a representative of the CMPD, he should have the ability to do so without antagonizing and trying to escalate an already tenuous situation where they are literally protesting mistreatment by police. Maybe I have higher expectations of someone who has voluntarily decided to protect and serve?

PS - Koch makes $100k so saying he's underpaid and overworked might be a stretch.

He's surrounded by a group of "protesters" whose sole purpose is to antagonize and harass a police officer. They aren't protesting anything in that video. They are begging for that officer to do something stupid. To get a reaction that will get him in trouble. Do I think what he did was a little childish or immature? Sure. Do I think he should get fired for it? Of course not. That's asinine.
IseWolf22
BobbyCox95 said:

IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Police Unions

Then why are they abusing individual cops? Cops that have nothing to do with any of this. We have been taught by the media that cops are the enemy. We've been taught that we live in a culture of police brutality and racist cops. This isn't right.

Who is they? The protesters are not a monolithic group and only a minority have been violent. When I look at the various abuses committed by officers during these protests, should I apply that to all police or are those officers different than the majority that are doing their job properly?
BobbyCox95
statefan91 said:

I don't know who Koch is but I can assure you cops do not make 100k. He must be the chief for that kind of pay if true. Most cops have to work many years just to make 1/2 that. "Most cops" as in the ones being abused the most.
Packchem91
Civilized said:

statefan91 said:

metcalfmafia said:

There is another video in the thread of the cop taunting the crowd. Giving the "I can't hear you" hand gesture. Telling them to get louder.

I'm not saying that he deserved to get pushed for egging them on. However, he is a police officer and I assume he has gone through significant training on de-escalation techniques, working with the community, working with crowds, etc. Instead of utilizing those he took the route of egging them on.

De-escalation training is not as common or comprehensive as you would think. He definitely didn't de-escalate.

"Not egging them on" is just common sense, and he didn't do that either.
Two thoughts come to my mind when seeing the video of Koch egging on the crowd:
1) The image of all those folks aggressively up in the cops face is disturbing enough. What the heck has happened in this world. I think back to my days at NC State, and would like to have seen what happened if a couple of drunk bros would have pulled that with some RPD officers trying to keep fans off Hillsborough after a win over UNC.

2) Koch should be at least suspended, given the egging on. After all that has gone on, how does any cop do that in the middle of a televised protest.

Of course, the fact he was there speaks volumes -- he was the same guy involved in a similar dustup the night before while walking with protestors. Given this scene, I'd guess he said something that helped escalate that incident as well.
CMPD leaders should have seen the first televised scuffle and made sure Koch was nowhere near the scene the next day --- if not as a punishment, as just good reading of what all was going on.

I hold both parties at fault, and should arrest anyone who touched the guy....but he's surely not helping make things better for CMPD or police in general.
BobbyCox95
IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Police Unions

Who is they? The protesters are not a monolithic group and only a minority have been violent. When I look at the various abuses committed by officers during these protests, should I apply that to all police or are those officers different than the majority that are doing their job properly?

Thought "they" was pretty self explanatory. "They" as in the people surrounding the officer and harassing him.
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Police Unions

They have far too much power over the disciplinary process. I'm not saying unions need to be abolished but they are powerful political entities and many cities need to reign them in

I agree completely. The officer that started this is an excellent example. How did he still have a job? My guess would be because of the union.
lumberpack5
Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

statefan91 said:

metcalfmafia said:

There is another video in the thread of the cop taunting the crowd. Giving the "I can't hear you" hand gesture. Telling them to get louder.

I'm not saying that he deserved to get pushed for egging them on. However, he is a police officer and I assume he has gone through significant training on de-escalation techniques, working with the community, working with crowds, etc. Instead of utilizing those he took the route of egging them on.

De-escalation training is not as common or comprehensive as you would think. He definitely didn't de-escalate.

"Not egging them on" is just common sense, and he didn't do that either.
1) The image of all those folks aggressively up in the cops face is disturbing enough. What the heck has happened in this world. I think back to my days at NC State, and would like to have seen what happened if a couple of drunk bros would have pulled that with some RPD officers trying to keep fans off Hillsborough after a win over UNC.

2) Koch should be at least suspended, given the egging on. After all that has gone on, how does any cop do that in the middle of a televised protest.

Of course, the fact he was there speaks volumes -- he was the same guy involved in a similar dustup the night before while walking with protestors. Given this scene, I'd guess he said something that helped escalate that incident as well.
CMPD leaders should have seen the first televised scuffle and made sure Koch was nowhere near the scene the next day --- if not as a punishment, as just good reading of what all was going on.

I hold both parties at fault, and should arrest anyone who touched the guy....but he's surely not helping make things better for CMPD or police in general.
You can't successfully police without local support. An unwritten part of that is that you only beat up a person who damn well deserves it and the people who know it, knows it was deserved. Sometimes a successful officer has to take **** and abuse from a crowd. It's part of the job and by doing so he raises his credibility with the people he is trying to police. Sometimes you have to give people time to know THEY did something wrong for it to have any effect on future behavior.
I like the athletic type
Civilized
Packchem91 said:

Agree.

He didn't do his job well out there, but it''s also interesting to me that protestors are taking out their anger on individual cops.

Human nature I guess, but has a very 'pack mentality' feel with the spiral-up of emotion that leads to encounters like this.

All the more reason to de-escalate if you're a cop. Physically separate yourself from protesters. Speak calmly and respectfully. Don't engage in negative back-and-forth. Basically, understand the situation, understand the situation, and act like a pro.
metcalfmafia
BobbyCox95 said:

statefan91 said:

I don't know who Koch is but I can assure you cops do not make 100k. He must be the chief for that kind of pay if true. Most cops have to work many years just to make 1/2 that. "Most cops" as in the ones being abused the most.
He is the chief, which is what makes his childish behavior even worse.

Is that the kind of culture he holds his force to?
BobbyCox95
metcalfmafia said:

BobbyCox95 said:

statefan91 said:

I would bet no. I bet he got caught in the moment of having 50 people yelling in his face for no reason and that was the response he came up with as an alternative to laying his hands on someone.
IseWolf22
BobbyCox95 said:

statefan91 said:

IDK about NC but in some places you can absolutely earn over $100K. Regional variation of salary is enormous for law enforcement.
The national average for a police sergeant is $81K. Google turns up multiple examples of officers who made over $100k in overtime alone.

California has relatively good salaries, but pensions really sweeten the deal. In some cities you can draw pension while still working and double your pay. In NJ, the median salary is over $100k
https://www.nj.com/news/2017/05/how_much_is_the_median_cop_salary_in_your_town.html

packgrad
BobbyCox95 said:

metcalfmafia said:

BobbyCox95 said:

statefan91 said:

I would bet no. I bet he got caught in the moment of having 50 people yelling in his face for no reason and that was the response he came up with as an alternative to laying his hands on someone.

This has been happening for at least 2 days. There have been 2 videos of him being targeted. This is not protesting.
BobbyCox95
IseWolf22 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

statefan91 said:

IDK about NC but in some places you can absolutely earn over $100K. Regional variation of salary is enormous for law enforcement.
The national average for a police sergeant is $81K. Google turns up multiple examples of officers who made over $100k in overtime alone.

California has relatively good salaries, but pensions really sweeten the deal. In some cities you can draw pension while still working and double your pay. In NJ, the median salary is over $100k
https://www.nj.com/news/2017/05/how_much_is_the_median_cop_salary_in_your_town.html

Right. It's all relative. 81k in Cal and NJ is 40k in NC
BobbyCox95
packgrad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

metcalfmafia said:

BobbyCox95 said:

statefan91 said:

This has been happening for at least 2 days. There have been 2 videos of him being targeted. This is not protesting.
Anyone else find it ironic that there are 50-100 white agitators pretending to be protesting on behalf of the BLM movement and the only one that has respect for authority is the black man with a mask on that's protecting the officer? Sickening.
Civilized
packgrad said:

If he's a target, he's likely doing it wrong. They're obviously not there to carry on civil discourse with him and politely debate the merits of defunding police departments.

Why is he in amongst the protesters? Nothing good was going to come of that. That's De-escalation 101. Stay physically separated from a potentially dangerous situation and make sure you read and understand the situation before engaging closely.

You push a cop, I'm guessing 98% of the time you will (and should) get arrested. Nobody should have touched him, but he's the pro and very likely could have avoided that situation altogether if he played it smarter.
statefan91
Koch is the Police Officer in the video that we e been talking about.
packgrad
" Just a few minutes ago a scuffle started in front of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Government Center - the crowd was telling Capt. Brad Koch of CMPD he had to leave," Brian Christiansen of WJZY tweeted. "He's the same officer who's walked alongside protestors, signaling ahead clearing intersections for them"

Sunday night, several of protesters became hostile towards Koch while he walked with protesters in Uptown. Koch, said CMPD "has walked more than a hundred miles with protesters this week."

Koch was aided by other protesters "who protected him" as he fended off the attack, CMPD said.

"We want to thank all of the protesters who looked out for Captain Brad until officers arrived," CMPD said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/north-carolina/charlotte/amp/28790425/cmpd-officer-protester-scuffle-outside-government-center-video

Right. It's his fault.

Amazing the parallel in excuses between this and sexual assault.
BobbyCox95
packgrad said:

" Just a few minutes ago a scuffle started in front of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Government Center - the crowd was telling Capt. Brad Koch of CMPD he had to leave," Brian Christiansen of WJZY tweeted. "He's the same officer who's walked alongside protestors, signaling ahead clearing intersections for them"

Sunday night, several of protesters became hostile towards Koch while he walked with protesters in Uptown. Koch, said CMPD "has walked more than a hundred miles with protesters this week."

Koch was aided by other protesters "who protected him" as he fended off the attack, CMPD said.

"We want to thank all of the protesters who looked out for Captain Brad until officers arrived," CMPD said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/north-carolina/charlotte/amp/28790425/cmpd-officer-protester-scuffle-outside-government-center-video

Right. It's his fault.

Amazing the parallel in excuses between this and sexual assault.

But some people on this very board want him fired because he raised the roof and put his hand behind his ear. Can't make this up. This is the world we live in now.
statefan91
I don't think he needs to be fired, but he shouldn't be interacting with the public if he's unable to do so without antagonizing the people that peacefully protesting.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

I don't think he needs to be fired, but he shouldn't be interacting with the public if he's unable to do so without antagonizing the people that peacefully protesting.

Yet you have no evidence of people peacefully protesting in either video.
TopsailWolf
My wish would be that we value all lives equally. How do we continue to hear about George Floyd for hours on end, but nothing on the 17 (and counting) lives lost as a result of the riots. How do we can continue to hear about white on black crime, when DOUBLE the amount of white people are killed by black people, and white on white/black on black killings were 10x more frequent. TEN TIMES.

The way George Floyd was treated was incomprehensible, but the fact that American major news networks have carried multiple funeral services for a man who's been arrested 9 times and was killed by one cop on a power trip while 17 other families mourn the same loss without as much as blurb on the evening news should tell you everything you need to know about mass media in this country. Think for yourselves. Look at the numbers.

Nothing will change until we quit painting each side with a broad brush. Are there racist cops? I'm sure there are. Are there racist politicians? I'm sure there are. But to think that chasing people around in the streets somehow demanding justice is going to change anything but create more division is childish. Where are the protesters outside the abortion clinics? Where are the protesters outside of the single mother homes begging the fathers to stay? Where are the protesters on the streets of every major city where there are countless gang and drug related deaths EVERY DAY. Those deaths don't matter?

Love your neighbor. Love people that look like you. Love people that look different than you. And quit yelling and degrading someone with a different opinion than you. Civil discourse, understanding, and valuing another person's thoughts and perspective is the only answer regardless of what the vocal minority says.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.