George Floyd

125,506 Views | 1023 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SupplyChainPack
SupplyChainPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pacfanweb said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

All true.

And unfortunately, police being the human beings they are, they screw up once in awhile. And given what they deal with on a daily basis, sometimes their screw ups end up like this. Sometimes the police are the ones who are killed or injured.

As you say, it's the nature of the job. We can always try and find ways in which police can do better, and we probably should....but the bottom line is, human beings are still human beings. And they are going to screw up occasionally. While we should always try and keep that to a minimum, the truth of the matter is, it's something we simply have to accept, given the nature of the job.

Based on what you've said about this topic I think me and you are largely on the same page about arresting officer's fate.

I don't think he murdered George Floyd. I do think Floyd was under the influence. I don't think the amounts of drugs in his system would have been fatal by themselves. I do think the officer was negligent, maybe criminally, and he'll likely pay a price for that.

I don't envy police officers' jobs, the risks they take, and the snap judgments they are tasked with making. I do think we do them a disservice by not providing superior training regarding how to keep them out of situations like these officers found themselves in, and how to de-escalate them when they're in them.

It's way easier to prevent this outcome when you're not ever physically engaged with a suspect in the first place. With police encounters and outcomes, an ounce of prevention is worth a damn metric ton of cure.
Well, yeah. However, what would you have them do? They had to arrest the guy. He wasn't cooperating. He was under the influence...of what, they didn't know at the time. There was no "talking him down".

They're trained to manhandle folks when necessary. I think it was necessary here. Not to the "kneeling on his neck" level of "necessary", but necessary. I think it's just bad luck that they took down a guy who had heart disease, was a heavy drug user, was high on drugs at the time, and was basically a walking, ticking time bomb for a heart attack. And then compounded the perception of what they were doing with the "knee on the neck" videos.
People immediately jumped on that and assumed Floyd was choked by that.

They are wrong. But you can't take back all the incorrect reporting, riots, people killed in riots, and unrest that has resulted. It's a sad situation all around, really.

Agree. Trying to figure out what the officers were supposed to do to not physically engage the suspect.
"Sir, would you mind if we arrest for passing counterfeit bills?
You do?
Awe shucks, nevermind. Have a nice day sir."
cowboypack02
SupplyChainPack said:

Pacfanweb said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

All true.

And unfortunately, police being the human beings they are, they screw up once in awhile. And given what they deal with on a daily basis, sometimes their screw ups end up like this. Sometimes the police are the ones who are killed or injured.

As you say, it's the nature of the job. We can always try and find ways in which police can do better, and we probably should....but the bottom line is, human beings are still human beings. And they are going to screw up occasionally. While we should always try and keep that to a minimum, the truth of the matter is, it's something we simply have to accept, given the nature of the job.

Based on what you've said about this topic I think me and you are largely on the same page about arresting officer's fate.

I don't think he murdered George Floyd. I do think Floyd was under the influence. I don't think the amounts of drugs in his system would have been fatal by themselves. I do think the officer was negligent, maybe criminally, and he'll likely pay a price for that.

I don't envy police officers' jobs, the risks they take, and the snap judgments they are tasked with making. I do think we do them a disservice by not providing superior training regarding how to keep them out of situations like these officers found themselves in, and how to de-escalate them when they're in them.

It's way easier to prevent this outcome when you're not ever physically engaged with a suspect in the first place. With police encounters and outcomes, an ounce of prevention is worth a damn metric ton of cure.
Well, yeah. However, what would you have them do? They had to arrest the guy. He wasn't cooperating. He was under the influence...of what, they didn't know at the time. There was no "talking him down".

They're trained to manhandle folks when necessary. I think it was necessary here. Not to the "kneeling on his neck" level of "necessary", but necessary. I think it's just bad luck that they took down a guy who had heart disease, was a heavy drug user, was high on drugs at the time, and was basically a walking, ticking time bomb for a heart attack. And then compounded the perception of what they were doing with the "knee on the neck" videos.
People immediately jumped on that and assumed Floyd was choked by that.

They are wrong. But you can't take back all the incorrect reporting, riots, people killed in riots, and unrest that has resulted. It's a sad situation all around, really.

Agree. Trying to figure out what the officers were supposed to do to not physically engage the suspect.
"Sir, would you mind if we arrest for passing counterfeit bills?
You do?
Awe shucks, nevermind. Have a nice day sir."

I think this is spot on.

Alot of people made a lot of choices that day that led to George Floyd's death.

The best way to solve any problem is to work backwards until we get to the root cause of the issue, and then solve for that.

The root cause of the issue was Floyd attempting to pass counterfeit bills. Alot of things happened after this, but the counterfeit bills were the root cause of the police being called. The easiest solution for that is to not try to pass the bills, because that is a crime.

Instead of doing this everyone wants to talk about the cops, and how the cops handled the situation and what they could of done differently. For some reason we aren't suppose to speak about Floyd and what he could of done differently to keep this from happening to himself.
Civilized
cowboypack02 said:

I think this is spot on.

The best way to solve any problem is to work backwards until we get to the root cause of the issue, and then solve for that.

The root cause of the issue was Floyd attempting to pass counterfeit bills. Alot of things happened after this, but the counterfeit bills were the root cause of the police being called. The easiest solution for that is to not try to pass the bills, because that is a crime.

Instead of doing this everyone wants to talk about the cops, and how the cops handled the situation and what they could of done differently. For some reason we aren't suppose to speak about Floyd and what he could of done differently to keep this from happening to himself.

You get lambasted for talking about George Floyd passing a counterfeit because by that logic, all we need to do to prevent police violence is just make sure there are no criminals, so then there won't be any police interactions that could result in violence.

Sound like a good plan to you?

The reality is that crime rates HAVE declined significantly over the last 30 years. Violent crimes have declined by 71% and property crimes have declined by 69% according the Bureau of Justice.

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245

So in the macro, either some interventions are working, many Americans are putting in the work, or both.

So no, nobody wants to talk about eliminating criminality as a means to eliminate police violence, both because that's not actionable (criminality will never be eliminated totally) and because America has actually been successful at the "reduce crime" side of the equation.

Police need to do their part to reduce violent interactions. That's not conditioned on anything Americans are doing or not doing (especially since crime has decreased markedly over the last 30 years).
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

cowboypack02 said:

I think this is spot on.

The reality is that crime rates HAVE declined significantly over the last 30 years. Violent crimes have declined by 71% and property crimes have declined by 69% according the Bureau of Justice.

Okay, it's true that overall crime has been going down.

However, there's a disturbing trend among black youths.
From Wiki:

"According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, in the year 2008 black youths, who make up 16% of the youth population, accounted for 52% of juvenile violent crime arrests, including 58.5% of youth arrests for homicide and 67% for robbery. Black youths were overrepresented in all offense categories except DUI, liquor laws and drunkenness. Racial disparities in arrest have consistently been far less among older population groups."

That last sentence is disturbing.

And yes, police need to do their part, as you said....but mostly, they ARE.

But just as you said, you're not going to totally eliminate crime. And just as that's the truth, it's also the truth that you're not going to eliminate police screwing up occasionally.

I think everyone else's point is kind of this:

Incidents like these are relatively few. VERY few. Damn near insignificantly few, compared to how many interactions there are between police and law breakers.
However, they get totally blown out of proportion by the media, and outfits like BLM.

That gets pumped up into "there's all this inherent racism and white privilege, etc" and everyone gets into a rage about it.

Then you have folks like me, and the overwhelming majority of other white Americans who hear all this and think "Where is all this alleged racism? I don't see it"

But we get lumped into it, simply due to the color of our skin. It's the same way with cops.

That has gotten old. The numbers don't show it. You might have a point with some of the traffic stop data, but that's about it. Those incidents aren't causing blacks to be WAY over-represented in all the major crime categories.

Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

That has gotten old. The numbers don't show it. You might have a point with some of the traffic stop data, but that's about it. Those incidents aren't causing blacks to be WAY over-represented in all the major crime categories.

It's not just about police violence against Blacks Americans. You're right that violence is relatively rare as a function of total police encounters, but the manner and importance of these events belie their rarity. Allowing a black man to die under your knee as he lay motionless for several minutes on camera is going to spark a fire.

It's also not just about traffic stops or police violence.

Black Americans are sensitive to inequality in criminal justice for a good reason.

Outcomes at every turn disfavor Black Americans - traffic stops, contraband searches, search-and-frisks, arrests, charges, jury bias, convictions, sentences, appeals, wrongful convictions, and paroles. Every single one.

And when I say 'outcomes' I don't mean total outcomes, I mean even when accounting for Blacks' proportionally high representation in the system. So increased criminality is not an explanation for these disparate outcomes.

You may not believe this, or you may think that poverty drives crime and just say, "well, fix poverty and there won't be a problem." Or "fix families...", or "fix education," etc.

The world has never figured out how to fix poverty or fix families. That's an incredibly tough slog for a society.

But there's so much we can do without fixing poverty. Increase police training on implicit bias so they stop pulling and searching Blacks at significantly disproportionate rates. Decriminalize or legalize marijuana, implement de-escalation training, implement blind prosecution. Change heavy-handed mandatory sentencing laws. Instruct and educate juries better to reduce jury bias.

Eliminating poverty is an almost overwhelming task but there are very specific, implementable things we can do in criminal justice to improve outcomes and decrease police violence.

Is there any reason - any - not to do those things?
Pacfanweb
You do not have to "fix" poverty.

What needs to be done is to bring the black poverty rate inline with the white poverty rate, or maybe the overall poverty rate.

That can absolutely be done by fixing all the things we have discussed over a couple of different threads that is wrong with black culture and their community in general. Education, family, Etc.

Of course it won't eliminate poverty. That can't and won't be done. But the poverty rate can certainly be brought into line with everyone else, and when you do that the rest of the problem should take care of themselves.

The thing about all this is, the gains to be had by reducing black poverty will be far more beneficial than any of the things you mentioned.

That's why I say they should be a priority. Everything else is just treating a symptom
IseWolf22
Pacfanweb said:

You do not have to "fix" poverty.

What needs to be done is to bring the black poverty rate inline with the white poverty rate, or maybe the overall poverty rate.

That can absolutely be done by fixing all the things we have discussed over a couple of different threads that is wrong with black culture and their community in general. Education, family, Etc.

Of course it won't eliminate poverty. That can't and won't be done. But the poverty rate can certainly be brought into line with everyone else, and when you do that the rest of the problem should take care of themselves.

The thing about all this is, the gains to be had by reducing black poverty will be far more beneficial than any of the things you mentioned.

That's why I say they should be a priority. Everything else is just treating a symptom
Yes, reducing poverty would have a major impact on overall crime. But that takes generations. The conservative and libertarians views on reducing poverty are largely to clear structural barriers, treat all races the same, and let the free market slowly correct imbalances. In the US, the greatest predictor of your lifetime wealth is the wealth of your parents. Poverty and Success are generational cycles. You want a quick fix? Then we are talking about reparations and I think most of us are against that.

But how can we fix education and poverty? Well that's something Left/Rights been fighting about forever. We probably agree on lot of the policy here, but it is a long term solution.

So what can we do right now? Well we can move forward with reforms to police use of force training. We can remove barriers that prevent bad cops from being fired. We can let social workers deal with things that don't need an officer and a gun, so cops can focus where they are needed. We can decriminalize non-violent offenses. And this will benefit people of all races. As Civilized said, why can't we do these now? People aren't going to stop trying to reduce poverty because we made some police reforms.
IseWolf22
lumberpack5 said:

IseWolf22 said:

lumberpack5 said:

Qualified immunity and union police contract protection at the same time is a problem.

I am not against Qualified Immunity in non-union situations. That serves the taxpayers.

However the City Manager or the Mayor in a strong mayor system needs to have the ability to **** can a bad police officer without facing a strike or unwinnable litigation.

When you have both protections there is no incentive for the police to police themselves.

Qualified Immunity needs to be abolished regardless of union contracts. It applies to more than police anyways. Any government official can claim it when caught commiting a crime or abusing power
Qualified immunity in NC is cut when the unit of government buys insurance for certain things. The employee of the unit is covered under the umbrella of the coverage in most cases. Sometimes the insurance company will balk if the source of the litigation is an idiot that should have been fired long ago, it is document, and the actions are clearly illegal. Those hurdles together make one high hurdle.

The citizen is not in privity of contract with his or her government. The government does not "owe" you anything. Also the pockets of the government are much deeper than the person who wronged you. For instance, say the lazy building inspector does not come to your job on time and causes you to lose a load of concrete. He does not have a contract with you. Much case law will eventual say you should not have trusted him to come on time in the first place. Now if his negligence which can be documented results in a life safety thing and that thing kills people he and the unit of government have negligence insurance only to the level of criminal behavior.

I would not even bring abuse of power into the argument.

Three of the four men on Mount Rushmore abused their power. Washington was a power unto himself. Qualified immunity and government officials mix when stupidity is involved, not when conspiracy to defraud is involved. Take for example the crooks who voted themselves million dollar pensions in some little California town. Eventually they were indicted and convicted of fraud and conspiracy, but for a while they were in the wind so to speak claiming they took legal votes, etc., etc.

This is the definitive "Bible" on the subject in NC

https://www.sog.unc.edu/sites/www.sog.unc.edu/files/course_materials/Crowell_Local%20gov%27t%20immunity%20Nov%2011.pdf

The Institute of Government in Chapel Hill synthesizes the written law and more importantly the case law. The case law is what is most important. NC is one of the most conservative legal and fiscal states in the Nation and keeps it's smaller units under very strict controls. We are a Dillon's rule state and that also applies the University System.

Many States allow "Home Rule". Home rule means that unit gets to make it's own laws that are not in direct conflict with their State and Federal law. It is in some of these places that really crazy **** happens. Examples are San Diego, Detroit, Montgomery County Alabama (Birmingham), NYC, It happens in some rural places but since so few live their it gets little attention. Almost all of these cases of crazy are tied to economic foolishness and hubris, followed up by vultures and con men. Straight up frauds and thefts actually seem to cause less long term damage.
You're going to have to break this down more for me. I'll admit I am completely ignorant to state specific aspect of Qualified Immunity and it's very possible NC has a better standard. I have not so far seen any crazy QI examples from our state.

There are a ton of examples of people getting off for offenses that are clearly corrupt, unethical, sometimes even illegal, and still being granted QI. Even opinions where the judge clearly states that the accused should be held responsible, but they are forced to accept QI because the exact offense was not specifically prohibited in that exact scenario.
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

You're going to have to break this down more for me. I'll admit I am completely ignorant to state specific aspect of Qualified Immunity and it's very possible NC has a better standard. I have not so far seen any crazy QI examples from our state.

There are a ton of examples of people getting off for offenses that are clearly corrupt, unethical, sometimes even illegal, and still being granted QI. Even opinions where the judge clearly states that the accused should be held responsible, but they are forced to accept QI because the exact offense was not specifically prohibited in that exact scenario.

When lumber goes on one of his big rants (which I often love) I often think to myself, "I need him to break that down for me like I'm a second-grader."
Pacfanweb
ISE: no, there's no reason we can't do some or all of those things now. But I don't think any of them will do much in the way of solving things.

Again, you're treating the symptoms, and not the disease.

And yes... Changing the culture and reducing the black poverty rate will certainly take a long time. No doubt about it.

But until that is roughly equal, we're going to always have problems. And it's got to be done sometime... And if you want folks to get behind some of these other changes, there needs to be a long-term plan to actually fix the real problem.

And then it just simply has to be drilled into people's heads, over and over, month after month, year after year, that this is a very long term fix and we need to stay the course and keep working at it. That's the only way people's hearts and minds will change. You can't just wave a wand and say okay, you folks start taking education seriously so you'll get out of poverty and have it happen magically. Have to be chipped away at over the years. And it's not even remotely being done right now.... you can tell, because part of the solution requires people to admit they have the problem first. And I don't see much of that. I see mostly blame being thrown everywhere except for at the person in the mirror.

Even you guys here... You say "yeah that's a problem, BUT..."

No, that is THE problem. That's the root of it. So yes, address all those other issues, but it's going to be pointless if you're not addressing the root of the problem
Packchem91
Pacfanweb said:

ISE: no, there's no reason we can't do some or all of those things now. But I don't think any of them will do much in the way of solving things.

And yes... Changing the culture and reducing the black poverty rate will certainly take a long time. No doubt about it.

But until that is roughly equal, we're going to always have problems. And it's got to be done sometime... And if you want folks to get behind some of these other changes, there needs to be a long-term plan to actually fix the real problem.

And then it just simply has to be drilled into people's heads, over and over, month after month, year after year, that this is a very long term fix and we need to stay the course and keep working at it. That's the only way people's hearts and minds will change. You can't just wave a wand and say okay, you folks start taking education seriously so you'll get out of poverty and have it happen magically. Have to be chipped away at over the years. And it's not even remotely being done right now.... you can tell, because part of the solution requires people to admit they have the problem first. And I don't see much of that. I see mostly blame being thrown everywhere except for at the person in the mirror.

No, that is THE problem. That's the root of it. So yes, address all those other issues, but it's going to be pointless if you're not addressing the root of the problem
Sure....go start a national dialog that says the #1 issue leading to poverty, not just among blacks, but among all races, is the single-parent family, and see how much of a non-starter that is.

I agree with your premise (and honestly, I don't know if the above is the #1 issue or not, but its darned sure one of the top 3, and in general contributes to all the other top issues - education, access, etc).

Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Civilized said:

Increase police training on implicit bias so they stop pulling and searching Blacks at significantly disproportionate rates. Decriminalize or legalize marijuana, implement de-escalation training, implement blind prosecution. Change heavy-handed mandatory sentencing laws. Instruct and educate juries better to reduce jury bias.

Along with eliminating QI, these remedies are not symptoms of poverty, eduction gaps, or family instability.

They're simply systemic biases in criminal justice that can, and need to be, eliminated ASAP.

They're not symptoms, they're problems.

Eliminate those and you both solve 'fixable' problems and maybe earn some capital with the Black community while longer-term solutions for poverty and education gaps and family stability are underway.
IseWolf22
Packchem91 said:

Pacfanweb said:

Sure....go start a national dialog that says the #1 issue leading to poverty, not just among blacks, but among all races, is the single-parent family, and see how much of a non-starter that is.

I agree with your premise (and honestly, I don't know if the above is the #1 issue or not, but its darned sure one of the top 3, and in general contributes to all the other top issues - education, access, etc).

It's a top 2 issue for sure. Marriage before children and staying together to raise them may be the #1 factor that allows someone to climb out of poverty to the middle class. IDK why you think it's a non-starter though. It's an issue at least talked about by anyone who studies poverty, even if they argue against it being a major factor.

As for Pacfanweb, they are two separate problems. You can solve one while still working on the other. One is a MUCH harder thing to do though, so why not work on the low hanging fruit?
Packchem91
IseWolf22 said:

Packchem91 said:

Pacfanweb said:

It's a top 2 issue for sure. Marriage before children and staying together to raise them may be the #1 factor that allows someone to climb out of poverty to the middle class. IDK why you think it's a non-starter though. It's an issue at least talked about by anyone who studies poverty, even if they argue against it being a major factor.

As for Pacfanweb, they are two separate problems. You can solve one while still working on the other. One is a MUCH harder thing to do though, so why not work on the low hanging fruit?
Maybe by those who analyze and understand the huge impact of single parents.
But is it ever discussed from a policy / educational perspective? It crosses that boundary of "family values", which I'm not even sure I've heard mentioned in the past several years?

**I know you can't legislate marriage, rearing children, etc.....but I don't even hear it talked about amongst leaders addressing poverty (and now with all the resurfaced race-issues, I'm not sure it will be, because race will be the #1 topic for a long time now)
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Civilized said:

Increase police training on implicit bias so they stop pulling and searching Blacks at significantly disproportionate rates. Decriminalize or legalize marijuana, implement de-escalation training, implement blind prosecution. Change heavy-handed mandatory sentencing laws. Instruct and educate juries better to reduce jury bias.

Along with eliminating QI, these remedies are not symptoms of poverty, eduction gaps, or family instability.

They're simply systemic biases in criminal justice that can, and need to be, eliminated ASAP.

They're not symptoms, they're problems.

Eliminate those and you both solve 'fixable' problems and maybe earn some capital with the Black community while longer-term solutions for poverty and education gaps and family stability are underway.
Yes, I've said let's do those things, too. But the root cause has to be dealt with, so let's do the things you suggest and also start chipping away at the poverty causes. It's not one or the other....but it needs to be both.

If doing some of your suggestions will be seen as some sort of olive branch to the black community and get them to start working on the things I've suggested, then sure, let's get on them.
Pacfanweb
Packchem91 said:

Well, of course they're not going to listen to me.

It's going to take some younger, more hip black people to start getting the idea across, and it's going to take some time for it to sink in and take effect.

Their culture of knocking up multiple women and not taking care of their kids, not caring about education and blaming everyone BUT the man in the mirror for their lot in life: It didn't just get that way overnight, either. It was seeded, watered, fertilized and nurtured along for decades. Been a long ride to get to where they are now.

There's not a magic teleporter back to when the black family was more intact and the single mother birth rate was around 40% instead of over 70%.

It's taken a long time to get here, and it'll take a long time to roll some of this flawed thinking and lack of personal responsibility back. But it can be done. Has to start being preached and listened to instead of all the rabble rousers that tell them nothing is their own fault.

People like Anthony Mackie. Here is one heck of a good way to think about these things, and it's just the tip of the iceberg:

Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

It's going to take some younger, more hip black people to start getting the idea across, and it's going to take some time for it to sink in and take effect.

Their culture of knocking up multiple women and not taking care of their kids, not caring about education and blaming everyone BUT the man in the mirror for their lot in life: It didn't just get that way overnight, either. It was seeded, watered, fertilized and nurtured along for decades. Been a long ride to get to where they are now.

There's not a magic teleporter back to when the black family was more intact and the single mother birth rate was around 40% instead of over 70%.

It's taken a long time to get here, and it'll take a long time to roll some of this flawed thinking and lack of personal responsibility back. But it can be done. Has to start being preached and listened to instead of all the rabble rousers that tell them nothing is their own fault.

People like Anthony Mackie. Here is one heck of a good way to think about these things, and it's just the tip of the iceberg:

Anthony Mackie has seemed like a cool dude in every interview I've ever seen or read of his.

Role modeling is huge in this. How you connect successful black professionals and family men and women with their community to serve as role models is a huge challenge. Role models don't have to be black of course but relatability is key.

There are still great organizations out there like Big Brothers/Big Sisters that are more colorblind but there need to by many more role model touch points for young Black Americans in need, especially young Black men.
Packchem91
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Anthony Mackie has seemed like a cool dude in every interview I've ever seen or read of his.

Role modeling is huge in this. How you connect successful black professionals and family men and women with their community to serve as role models is a huge challenge. Role models don't have to be black of course but relatability is key.

There are still great organizations out there like Big Brothers/Big Sisters that are more colorblind but there need to by many more role model touch points for young Black Americans in need, especially young Black men.
Yep, agree with you and PFW.
Unfortunately, the last 4 years have been lost fighting an increased perception of racism with our POTUS.

Then, now the talk has turned to "survival" as the stories of police brutalities or disproportionate impacts of COVID are all the talk rather than progress across the board. No easy answers....and to PFW's point earlier, it'll be generations of effort to dig out of the hole
SupplyChainPack
Herschel Walker chimes in on the President's raging racism:

"Walker said he developed a "deep, personal friendship" with Trump dating back to 1984, when the president purchased the New Jersey Generals of the now-defunct United States Football League. The former Heisman Trophy winner described Trump as a committed man with a strict attention to detail in his business dealings.

Walker said it "hurts my soul" when critics accuse the president of racism.

"People who think that don't know what they are talking about. Growing up in the Deep South, I have seen racism up close. I know what it is. And it isn't Donald Trump," Walker said."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/herschel-walker-rnc-speech-trump-national-anthem-nfl

Unfortunately, I think Walker is about to be "cancelled".
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

Agreed. Plus whoever tries to start that dialogue would immediately be labelled a racist.
Pacfanweb
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

Agreed. Plus whoever tries to start that dialogue would immediately be labelled a racist.
Yep, which is why I said it has to be some younger, influential black people to do it.

Back in the day, Bill Cosby started saying these things, but obviously he isn't going to be listened to now, plus he'd have been labeled "old and out of touch" eventually anyway.

Morgan Freeman has said some of the things I'm saying. But again, he's old.

Denzel Washington does it some. Not super active about it, but he's spoken the truth on occasion.

It will take quite a few like Anthony Mackie to start turning the tide and get people to stop wanting to "cancel" whoever has an opposing viewpoint and LISTEN. He even said that in the video I posted, that nobody listens.

Seems to be a lost way of communicating these days.

I like to think I still listen and consider other's views, at least sometimes. Throughout this discussion here, I started off pretty much directly opposed to Civilized and what he was saying, because I disagreed with it. But, as the discussion has gone one, we all have pretty much (unlike another board that will remain nameless called the Brickyard) stayed civil in our tone, even when frustrated, and kept the dialog going.

That's almost unique in this day and age of folks wanting to constantly troll and see who they can piss off.

And along the way, I've come around to, at least the way I see it, kind of meeting Civ's points in the middle somewhere and agreeing that "let's do them and see if it'll get people to come around and see the other side as well". I still don't totally agree with it, but we have to do SOMETHING to get things to change, and "meeting in the middle" is a time-honored and proven way to get things done.

If this would just make its way across the country now......
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Yep, which is why I said it has to be some younger, influential black people to do it.

Back in the day, Bill Cosby started saying these things, but obviously he isn't going to be listened to now, plus he'd have been labeled "old and out of touch" eventually anyway.

Denzel Washington does it some. Not super active about it, but he's spoken the truth on occasion.

It will take quite a few like Anthony Mackie to start turning the tide and get people to stop wanting to "cancel" whoever has an opposing viewpoint and LISTEN. He even said that in the video I posted, that nobody listens.

I like to think I still listen and consider other's views, at least sometimes. Throughout this discussion here, I started off pretty much directly opposed to Civilized and what he was saying, because I disagreed with it. But, as the discussion has gone one, we all have pretty much (unlike another board that will remain nameless called the Brickyard) stayed civil in our tone, even when frustrated, and kept the dialog going.

That's almost unique in this day and age of folks wanting to constantly troll and see who they can piss off.

And along the way, I've come around to, at least the way I see it, kind of meeting Civ's points in the middle somewhere and agreeing that "let's do them and see if it'll get people to come around and see the other side as well". I still don't totally agree with it, but we have to do SOMETHING to get things to change, and "meeting in the middle" is a time-honored and proven way to get things done.

Likewise brother!

It may seem like I'm here because I like to argue (which is true ) but really it's because disagreement makes me think harder about these issues and the perspective other people's data and experiences provide, and makes me consider other positions and nuances that I may not otherwise consider.

Respectful debate is really healthy. Even better with a bourbon in our hands at a tailgate!

Packchem91
Pacfanweb said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

No doubt....."quietly listening with respect" to learn has become a lost artform. You have to guillotine your "opponent" before he gets in his 15-second soundbite nowadays --- I mean, we have entire shows built off that approach across most every network.

Hearing the other person, and applying some empathy goes a long way. And no, its not always easy. Especially today, when the 10% on either far side of the fence get all the voice for the 80% in the middle.
IseWolf22
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Likewise brother!

It may seem like I'm here because I like to argue (which is true ) but really it's because disagreement makes me think harder about these issues and the perspective other people's data and experiences provide, and makes me consider other positions and nuances that I may not otherwise consider.

Respectful debate is really healthy. Even better with a bourbon in our hands at a tailgate!

I love to argue as long as things can stay somewhat respectful. There just aren't many forums to have honest debate anymore.
  • Social Media - Polluted by randoms jumping in and that highschool friend who is a loon
  • Work - HA! I don't want to get fired
  • Friends - Still works, but in the limited time we have together, happier conversation topics take priority
  • Home - My wife hates politics
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

I love to argue as long as things can stay somewhat respectful. There just aren't many forums to have honest debate anymore.
  • Social Media - Polluted by randoms jumping in and that highschool friend who is a loon
  • Friends - Still works, but in the limited time we have together, happier conversation topics take priority

For sure.

And IPS is my social media. I don't do that Facebook and Twitter *****
Bas2020
Antifa and BLM are doing their best to re-elect Trump.

Public polling is swaying big time in favor of Law and Order.

3 months ago, the protests...errr riots were about 50/50 in support... now its like 80% against.

Who would have thunk it... Most Americans dont want their communities burned to the ground or be forced to bow down on their knees in public to these crazy loons.
GoPack2008
Bas2020 said:

3 months ago, the protests...errr riots were about 50/50 in support... now its like 80% against.

Who would have thunk it... Most Americans dont want their communities burned to the ground or be forced to bow down on their knees in public to these crazy loons.
Where are you getting your numbers? While you're right that some support for BLM is waning, I think the numbers you cite are off.

538 on the topic:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/support-for-black-lives-matter-surged-during-protests-but-is-waning-among-white-americans/
packgrad
Bas2020 said:

Raise your fists. Do not anger the domestic terrorists.

SupplyChainPack
packgrad said:

Bas2020 said:

Raise your fists. Do not anger the domestic terrorists.

This garbage is starting to get ridiculous.
statefan91
While I don't think the current protests in Wisconsin are good for anyone - at least the rioting aspects, it's sad to see another guy get shot by police.

Sounds like he's still alive but paralyzed, hopefully there's a thorough investigation and justice is served based on all the facts.
SupplyChainPack
Mobs don't need facts.
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

IseWolf22 said:

For sure.

And IPS is my social media. I don't do that Facebook and Twitter *****
I have FB and Twitter. Hardly ever on Twitter, just joined at some point to follow....something, I can't even remember what. One of my kid's teachers, I think. I use it a little, but every time I read some type of political/corona/controversial post, the comments beneath it make the mythical baby Jesus weep for humanity. Just awful.

FB, I like for seeing what everyone is doing, how their kids are growing, etc. When posting political crap fired up, probably the 08 election time, I started steadily unfollowing people who decided everyone needed to know what they thought about things. I started blocking all the pages the memes came from, and slowly my feed became palatable again. Each election since has brought some new players, but they were blocked and all is well.

Just don't see why everyone thinks I need to know that we need to "put prayer back in schools", and "Trump/Biden sucks", etc. Before social media and the internet, people basically never talked about this stuff, much less put it out there for all to see.

I'm not always a "things were better in the good old days" person, but in this area....there's no question they were better.

That goes also for the the conspiracy/hoax/flatearth/truther idiots. Yes, they're idiots. Use to be, you'd run across one of these wackos a few times in your life. You'd hear what they had to say, shake your head to yourself and make a mental note to avoid that person, and went about your business.

Now? They can huddle up on social media, get together and have a good-looking website that looks legit with some videos that look nicely done, and affect other weak-minded people that this "question everything" environment has produced. It's not a good thing at all....so the "good old days" were definitely better in this area, no doubt.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

While I don't think the current protests in Wisconsin are good for anyone - at least the rioting aspects, it's sad to see another guy get shot by police.

Sounds like he's still alive but paralyzed, hopefully there's a thorough investigation and justice is served based on all the facts.
Yep, waiting a bit on this one just because it seems like details are really missing. It's hard though, the video looks bad.

I've actually seen a few videos today like Bas posted. But funnily enough it's Liberals posting them saying things like "These Bernie Bros are going to re-elect Trump." Hopefully they calm the F down, what they are doing is counter productive to the cause they are advocating for.
IseWolf22
Social media has been a cancer to the average level of discourse. It's much harder to call someone a terrible person for their views when you have to say it to their face.

As for me, I use Facebook about the same as you. Post once or twice a year, follow college friends, cousins and their kids, etc. I have an instagram but it's only photos of my dogs. I follow some dog and fitness related things. And I've dabbled my toe in reddit while Im stuck in my house working from home. I doubt I'll continue with it when things open back up
lumberpack5
IseWolf22 said:

lumberpack5 said:

IseWolf22 said:

lumberpack5 said:

Qualified immunity and union police contract protection at the same time is a problem.

I am not against Qualified Immunity in non-union situations. That serves the taxpayers.

However the City Manager or the Mayor in a strong mayor system needs to have the ability to **** can a bad police officer without facing a strike or unwinnable litigation.

When you have both protections there is no incentive for the police to police themselves.

Qualified Immunity needs to be abolished regardless of union contracts. It applies to more than police anyways. Any government official can claim it when caught commiting a crime or abusing power
Qualified immunity in NC is cut when the unit of government buys insurance for certain things. The employee of the unit is covered under the umbrella of the coverage in most cases. Sometimes the insurance company will balk if the source of the litigation is an idiot that should have been fired long ago, it is document, and the actions are clearly illegal. Those hurdles together make one high hurdle.

The citizen is not in privity of contract with his or her government. The government does not "owe" you anything. Also the pockets of the government are much deeper than the person who wronged you. For instance, say the lazy building inspector does not come to your job on time and causes you to lose a load of concrete. He does not have a contract with you. Much case law will eventual say you should not have trusted him to come on time in the first place. Now if his negligence which can be documented results in a life safety thing and that thing kills people he and the unit of government have negligence insurance only to the level of criminal behavior.

I would not even bring abuse of power into the argument.

Three of the four men on Mount Rushmore abused their power. Washington was a power unto himself. Qualified immunity and government officials mix when stupidity is involved, not when conspiracy to defraud is involved. Take for example the crooks who voted themselves million dollar pensions in some little California town. Eventually they were indicted and convicted of fraud and conspiracy, but for a while they were in the wind so to speak claiming they took legal votes, etc., etc.

This is the definitive "Bible" on the subject in NC

https://www.sog.unc.edu/sites/www.sog.unc.edu/files/course_materials/Crowell_Local%20gov%27t%20immunity%20Nov%2011.pdf

The Institute of Government in Chapel Hill synthesizes the written law and more importantly the case law. The case law is what is most important. NC is one of the most conservative legal and fiscal states in the Nation and keeps it's smaller units under very strict controls. We are a Dillon's rule state and that also applies the University System.

Many States allow "Home Rule". Home rule means that unit gets to make it's own laws that are not in direct conflict with their State and Federal law. It is in some of these places that really crazy **** happens. Examples are San Diego, Detroit, Montgomery County Alabama (Birmingham), NYC, It happens in some rural places but since so few live their it gets little attention. Almost all of these cases of crazy are tied to economic foolishness and hubris, followed up by vultures and con men. Straight up frauds and thefts actually seem to cause less long term damage.

North Carolina is a Dillon's Rule State. That means cities and towns are creatures of the State. The State loans power to its creatures. There is no home rule in NC. This means that crazy stuff that can percolate in Seattle, Portland, NYC, etc., has to get past the NC General Assembly which is more conservative than most home rule cities in the United States. This is a conservative state fiscally and legaly.

Perhaps you are mixing up the immunity a district attorney grants in return for testimony regarding a crime. That is not QI Qualified Immunity or Sovereign Immunity which is the immunity held by the "Kings" agents. King means "the State". Agents means ministers, officials, etc. You can only sue the King if he allows it and you can't sue his ministers in their personal capacity while they are carrying out the King's orders. In NC you are never granted QI of SI - you either have it or you don't based on past case law.

Does this help?

I like the athletic type

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.