NASCAR 2024

45,705 Views | 1067 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ncsupack1
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I'm happy for Rodney. Not sure about the driver?
Wolfer79
SMW was on-site at the NASCAR Chicago Street Race on Sunday. Here are some thoughts on the race itself and the recent trend of sports novelties:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/07/nascar-chicago-thoughts-unique-events-sports/
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

NASCAR needs to stop this shi$ show. Do what you do best…lord.
The race almost seemed like a side show to a Chicago street fest with bands, food trucks, etc. Once the rain came, the performers finished, and the food trucks left, there was hardly anyone left to watch the end of the race.

Yes, I agree, the teams must hate this race. Like Bristol, you take your most beaten up car to this race as aero has no significance and you know what the narrow track is about.

As a 50+ NASCAR fan I actually do enjoy the racing at Chicago. It just needs to be on another date with an earlier start. Bring back the tracks that made NASCAR. I don't care if anyone in the Midwest or west coast is watching.
The problem with this is that some of these tracks have attendance problems. ie Richmond is losing a date next year. If NASCAR goes to these small tracks with low number grandstands, how are the tracks going to pay the purse?
This opens up the point as to why it will never return to just a Southern sport. The tracks could pay the purse if not a single person showed up to the event. That's not hyperbole. I know that to be true from friends both at ISC and SMI. The TV money the tracks get dwarfs the at-track rev and it's not close. There are more eyeballs across the country than there are just in the South...and that's what the effort to expand has been about.

Agree with the tv money. The tracks get a tone. But the sport is bigger now than just the south. I'll add this, for the amount of money the tracks get, some look like 1982 on the inside.
some look like 1982 on the inside.
Agreed; that's the last time they were renovated. Restrooms at many tracks make C-F east side men's room look modern, even with the mystery water.

GetOffMyLawnPack
Wolfer79 said:

SMW was on-site at the NASCAR Chicago Street Race on Sunday. Here are some thoughts on the race itself and the recent trend of sports novelties:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/07/nascar-chicago-thoughts-unique-events-sports/
Good piece. Thanks. What I saw was a huge Chicago music and food festival and, hey, there's a nascar race going on. That said, the Chicago race probably has a run of at least several years.

Reminds me of the perpetual argument of whether people come to C-F to tailgate or the game. I know, I know, many will say both, but if we didn't have among the best tailgating venues anywhere, would the crowds at the games be as large?

Same here, had they not had the music entertainment and copious amount of food trucks, how diminished would the crowd have been?
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

The race almost seemed like a side show to a Chicago street fest with bands, food trucks, etc. Once the rain came, the performers finished, and the food trucks left, there was hardly anyone left to watch the end of the race.

Yes, I agree, the teams must hate this race. Like Bristol, you take your most beaten up car to this race as aero has no significance and you know what the narrow track is about.

As a 50+ NASCAR fan I actually do enjoy the racing at Chicago. It just needs to be on another date with an earlier start. Bring back the tracks that made NASCAR. I don't care if anyone in the Midwest or west coast is watching.
The problem with this is that some of these tracks have attendance problems. ie Richmond is losing a date next year. If NASCAR goes to these small tracks with low number grandstands, how are the tracks going to pay the purse?
This opens up the point as to why it will never return to just a Southern sport. The tracks could pay the purse if not a single person showed up to the event. That's not hyperbole. I know that to be true from friends both at ISC and SMI. The TV money the tracks get dwarfs the at-track rev and it's not close. There are more eyeballs across the country than there are just in the South...and that's what the effort to expand has been about.

Agree with the tv money. The tracks get a tone. But the sport is bigger now than just the south. I'll add this, for the amount of money the tracks get, some look like 1982 on the inside.
Agreed; that's the last time they were renovated. Restrooms at many tracks make C-F east side men's room look modern, even with the mystery water.

I love going to Martinsville every year, but I just kinda laugh to myself when I walk into that place. I'll also add, glad that all the tracks we go to you can bring your own food and drinks. One could almost miss a stage there waiting in line for a hotdog.
Wolfer79

Adam Petty would have been 44 today. One of the great, if not greatest, what-ifs in NASCAR history.

ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

Adam Petty would have been 44 today. One of the great, if not greatest, what-ifs in NASCAR history.

Sad day for sure.
Glasswolf
ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

I love going to Martinsville every year, but I just kinda laugh to myself when I walk into that place. I'll also add, glad that all the tracks we go to you can bring your own food and drinks. One could almost miss a stage there waiting in line for a hotdog.
Got to grab 2 on the way in. I'm good after that lol
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

ncsupack1
Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Got to grab 2 on the way in. I'm good after that lol

This, and bring a cooler.
ncsupack1
Question for everyone. What is everyone's personal favorite track that you have personally been to. Second question, what track is on your bucket list? For me, Darlington, as for a race I want to go to, Talladega. Charlotte is a close second, more like a 1A or 1B. They do a great job with the fans.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Question for everyone. What is everyone's personal favorite track that you have personally been to. Second question, what track is on your bucket list? For me, Darlington, as for a race I want to go to, Talladega. Charlotte is a close second, more like a 1A or 1B. They do a great job with the fans.
I would say Charlotte the best. Been there many times. Driven on the track at the Rusty Wallace racing experience. Took some laps at 160mph. Sad that I didn't get to Daytona Speedweeks when it was great. They say you could go in a restaurant and David Pearson, Richard Petty, etc. might be in there. Back in the day before million dollar RV's for drivers. Went to Rockingham several times when it was open and it was always a good race because the sand kept the track pretty abrasive so tire management was key in additions to all the other variables. Too old at this point to stay in Talladega infield for a week. My cousin and I were going to go about 5 years ago, but he is pu***whupped and his wife made him back out. Would like to go to Darlington one more time.
ncsupack1
Darlington is fun. Although since Bojangles isn't the sponsor anymore, ticket holders don't get free biscuits…
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Friday, July 12
2 p.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Practice and Qualifying at Pocono Raceway, FS2
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: CRC Brakleen 175 at Pocono Raceway, FS1
6:30 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Autodrome Granby, FloRacing
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series
CRC Brakleen 175, Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, PA
Practice and Qualifying FS2, 2 p.m.
Race FS1, 5:30 p.m.
Wolfer79
NASCAR's new media rights partners are casting a wide net to find the talent who will be in their booths next year, with some expected names like Fox Sports' @Adam1Alexander and unexpected names like @MartySmithESPN among those in the mix, sources say.

NASCAR will expand its portfolio of media rights partners from two to five next year, adding Prime Video, Warner Bros. Discovery and The CW to go along with incumbents Fox Sports and NBC Sports. This is part of seven-year deals that in total will dole out $7.7 billion to the sport from 2025-31.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/07/12/nascar-broadcasters-new-on-air-talent?publicationSource=sbd
ncsupack1
Marty Smith is a joke.
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

I would say Charlotte the best. Been there many times. Driven on the track at the Rusty Wallace racing experience. Took some laps at 160mph. Sad that I didn't get to Daytona Speedweeks when it was great. They say you could go in a restaurant and David Pearson, Richard Petty, etc. might be in there. Back in the day before million dollar RV's for drivers. Went to Rockingham several times when it was open and it was always a good race because the sand kept the track pretty abrasive so tire management was key in additions to all the other variables. Too old at this point to stay in Talladega infield for a week. My cousin and I were going to go about 5 years ago, but he is pu***whupped and his wife made him back out. Would like to go to Darlington one more time.
I've got some buddies heading down to Talladega this fall.
ncsupack1
Rain already effecting on track today. Plus, my local short track has postponed tonight's race.
erniencsu02
ncsupack1 said:

Marty Smith is a joke.
at this point I wish they would just hold auditions for race fans that want to work in broadcasting. I bet there is some real talent out there.
ncsupack1
erniencsu02 said:

ncsupack1 said:

Marty Smith is a joke.
at this point I wish they would just hold auditions for race fans that want to work in broadcasting. I bet there is some real talent out there.

lol…good point. I don't need a hype man.
PossumJenkins
ncsupack1 said:

Great question...I would only ask favorite from what standpoint? Having been to basically every major track (and a LOT of tracks that aren't major haha), I have favorites for a lot of differing reasons. Talladega is an absolute blast, but only if you're staying in the infield. Didn't enjoy it as much if I was at the hotel. Charlotte...living here and having so many memories there over the years, will always hold a very special place. Bristol is so unique, being inside with the racing around you 360 degrees is such an overwhelming experience.

Then I had favorites because of food, hotels (PHX, Dallas, Sonoma) and of course places we won. We also had a running list of the best bathroom locations at each track and judged them based on the available facilities. A very important measuring stick when spending life on the road. Haha. At the end of the day though...it's still probably Charlotte.
ncsupack1
PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

Great question...I would only ask favorite from what standpoint? Having been to basically every major track (and a LOT of tracks that aren't major haha), I have favorites for a lot of differing reasons. Talladega is an absolute blast, but only if you're staying in the infield. Didn't enjoy it as much if I was at the hotel. Charlotte...living here and having so many memories there over the years, will always hold a very special place. Bristol is so unique, being inside with the racing around you 360 degrees is such an overwhelming experience.

Then I had favorites because of food, hotels (PHX, Dallas, Sonoma) and of course places we won. We also had a running list of the best bathroom locations at each track and judged them based on the available facilities. A very important measuring stick when spending life on the road. Haha. At the end of the day though...it's still probably Charlotte.
Thank you for sharing this. I second Bristol, not a bad seat in the house. We've been going to Charlotte for many years and do enjoy it. If I may ask, are you still in the industry? I've got family who work with NASCAR, and know a few folks who work for race teams. To answer your question, favorite stand point, everything. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
erniencsu02
ncsupack1 said:

Darlington is one of my faves to go to. Maybe because it's easy to get to and the area hasnt changed much over the years.
ncsupack1
erniencsu02 said:

ncsupack1 said:

Darlington is one of my faves to go to. Maybe because it's easy to get to and the area hasnt changed much over the years.
Another good one.
PossumJenkins
ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

Thank you for sharing this. I second Bristol, not a bad seat in the house. We've been going to Charlotte for many years and do enjoy it. If I may ask, are you still in the industry? I've got family who work with NASCAR, and know a few folks who work for race teams. To answer your question, favorite stand point, everything. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I'm not…i left a couple years ago. I had about 15 years in sports and ent with about 8 of those nascar specific. I'm still really close with a lot of people across the sport though. Spent time with teams, agencies and sponsors so covered a little bit of everything. Miss some of it…don't miss all of it. Haha
PossumJenkins
ncsupack1
PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

I'm not…i left a couple years ago. I had about 15 years in sports and ent with about 8 of those nascar specific. I'm still really close with a lot of people across the sport though. Spent time with teams, agencies and sponsors so covered a little bit of everything. Miss some of it…don't miss all of it. Haha

That's pretty cool. Sounds like you are seasoned with the tracks. I may use your advice if we decide on any new tracks if you don't mind?
Glasswolf
ncsupack1 said:

Rockingham was my favorite followed close by Darlington then the old Richmond Fairgrounds race. Bristol was good as is Daytona. Talladega was super fun as we got to attempt to climb the banking lol. Brickyard is a bucket list (both NASCAR and Indy)

ncsupack1
Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Rockingham was my favorite followed close by Darlington then the old Richmond Fairgrounds race. Bristol was good as is Daytona. Talladega was super fun as we got to attempt to climb the banking lol. Brickyard is a bucket list (both NASCAR and Indy)
Nice list there.
Glasswolf
ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice list there.
ETA: I've been to every track except the California tracks, and Iowa. With my father being a local dirt track racer, I spent Friday night at Wake County Speedway, Saturday night at Wilson County Speedway, and Sunday at what ever track NASCAR was at lol. We took family vacations to Tampa twice a year. Feb and July. Went to visit my Aunt. Took Mom about 2 years to realize why it was those 2 months lol

ncsupack1
Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice list there.
ETA: I've been to every track except the California tracks, and Iowa. With my father being a local dirt track racer, I spent Friday night at Wake County Speedway, Saturday night at Wilson County Speedway, and Sunday at what ever track NASCAR was at lol. We took family vacations to Tampa twice a year. Feb and July. Went to visit my Aunt. Took Mom about 2 years to realize why it was those 2 months lol
My family and I still go to almost every race at Wake. BTW, you said dirt, it's been a while since that track was dirt. Have you been back in a while? Charlie has done a great job there.
PossumJenkins
ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

PossumJenkins said:

ncsupack1 said:

That's pretty cool. Sounds like you are seasoned with the tracks. I may use your advice if we decide on any new tracks if you don't mind?
Here for whatever
Glasswolf
ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice list there.
My family and I still go to almost every race at Wake. BTW, you said dirt, it's been a while since that track was dirt. Have you been back in a while? Charlie has done a great job there.
Went a few times last year. I love short track racing. I loved the racing at Southern National also. Last time my Dad raced was probably the mid 70's

ncsupack1
Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice list there.
Went a few times last year. I love short track racing. I loved the racing at Southern National also. Last time my Dad raced was probably the mid 70's
Glad you enjoyed. Short track racing is the best, and I keep meaning to head out to Southern one of these days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.